Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
One thing to keep in mind for long-term planning is that two new fruit trees become available on Ginger Island eventually, so if you've filled up your greenhouse with existing fruit trees you won't be able to fit in the new ones.

Mind you, by that point it hardly matters; I'm just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I went on a grand adventure inside of the skull cavern and manage to get a whole ten irridium ore. On the plus side I managed to get past level 25 and got a whole entire boatload of Omni-geodes, so that'll be fun to open later. Next time I need to bring more defensive foods, the roots platters I brought worked rather well and those are super easy to make in large numbers.

Edit: Oh and stairs, I'll need more of them. I've got a crystalarium making Jade, which I'll then give to the trader on tuesday (I think?), which is way more effecient than mining it all myself. My real goal was to find some dinosaurs, but unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to encounter any.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 9, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remember you can build staircases

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm going to plant 24 ancient fruit seeds in my greenhouse. If I use deluxe speed grow will it make every harvest faster for the entire time these plants are alive in the GH?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Should only affect the first harvest

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Speed grow only speeds up the first harvest time, IIRC?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fertilizer in the greenhouse is removed every time the seasons change. You can do that, but you have to reapply the speed-gro on the first day of each season.

E: Never mind, the above posters are correct. Speed-gro only affects the first harvest.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 9, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, it's first harvest only. Still super worth it for ancient fruit though, deluxe speed-gro drops the initial grow time from 28 days to 22 I think.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Fertilizer in the greenhouse is removed every time the seasons change. You can do that, but you have to reapply the speed-gro on the first day of each season.

I don’t think this is true. The speed gro in my greenhouse has been there for three seasons now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

LLSix posted:

I don’t think this is true. The speed gro in my greenhouse has been there for three seasons now.

That's one of the changes mentioned in the 1.5 change log. In previous versions, if the crop was out of season, the change of season would get rid of the fertilizer.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

LLSix posted:

I think this is a recent change, I noticed that too and I'm close to certain that it didn't work that way before

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
According to the wiki, fertilizer will remain in the greenhouse if its crop can grow outdoors in that season. So starfruit planted in the spring will carry their fertilizer over through the summer but will lose it on the first of fall, and ancient fruit will carry their fertilizer until winter, as I understand it.

This may have been changed in 1.5 or there may be additional rules at play; if your fertilizer is still around by winter 1st, the wiki is definitely off.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And since ancient fruit can grow in three seasons, if you planted it with speed-gro in the winter the speed-gro would persist all the way until the following Winter 1.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

And since ancient fruit can grow in three seasons, if you planted it with speed-gro in the winter the speed-gro would persist all the way until the following Winter 1.

This is what I intend to do. I'm on winter 4 and the next thing on my agenda is planting a new patch of ancient fruit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Though with plants like Ancient Fruit it only works on the initial maturation, it doesn't help rapidly reproduce berries after the first harvest, iirc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Right but bear in mind it won't actually do anything beyond speeding up the first harvest.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

MacheteZombie posted:

Though with plants like Ancient Fruit it only works on the initial maturation, it doesn't help rapidly reproduce berries after the first harvest, iirc.

Isn't his also true for quality fertilizers?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tombot posted:

I went on a grand adventure inside of the skull cavern and manage to get a whole ten irridium ore. On the plus side I managed to get past level 25 and got a whole entire boatload of Omni-geodes, so that'll be fun to open later. Next time I need to bring more defensive foods, the roots platters I brought worked rather well and those are super easy to make in large numbers.

Edit: Oh and stairs, I'll need more of them. I've got a crystalarium making Jade, which I'll then give to the trader on tuesday (I think?), which is way more effecient than mining it all myself. My real goal was to find some dinosaurs, but unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to encounter any.

If you're on PC and not averse to "looking under the hood", the https://mouseypounds.github.io/stardew-predictor/ can tell you which cavern floors are likely to have dinosaurs on each day.

For foods, I think for deep dives most people recommend +luck foods (I personally prefer Spicy Eel with +luck and +speed), while just using a regular food like sashimi to regain health.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I usually eat pepper poppers like candy. I may build a bunch of eel fish ponds my next game so I can spicy eel on the regular instead.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

webmeister posted:

If you're on PC and not averse to "looking under the hood", the https://mouseypounds.github.io/stardew-predictor/ can tell you which cavern floors are likely to have dinosaurs on each day.

For foods, I think for deep dives most people recommend +luck foods (I personally prefer Spicy Eel with +luck and +speed), while just using a regular food like sashimi to regain health.
There's a case to be made for many types but luck gets you deeper. If you find that you're getting you're getting destroyed by enemies maybe take some eggplant parmesan, pumpkin soup, or stuffing. If you just need high health food b/c you don't care to fight then there's fruit salad, red plate, radish salad, etc.

I usually have 8 tomato plants and 8 eggplants growing in the greenhouse so every few days I make some food and that keeps me well stocked for trips.

LLSix posted:

I usually eat pepper poppers like candy. I may build a bunch of eel fish ponds my next game so I can spicy eel on the regular instead.
Also a good idea. Since I'm on the beach farm I plan on making several fish ponds like tidal pools on the southern part. I have sturgeons and rainbow trout for caviar and prismatic shards respectively but I plan on making one for squid. Maybe I should make some for sea cucumbers and eels for luck food.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 10, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just keep a stack of gold star cheese in my inventory; it gets bigger every day as I go about my daily farm business, and I never have to think about it. For spelunkin' I go with lucky lunches if I have them, and eel meals if not. I finally found my last mineral and got a piece of magic rock candy from Gunther; I think my next skull cavern run will be the one where I finally breach floor 100.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

There's a case to be made for many types but luck gets you deeper. If you find that you're getting you're getting destroyed by enemies maybe take some eggplant parmesan, pumpkin soup, or stuffing. If you just need high health food b/c you don't care to fight then there's fruit salad, red plate, radish salad, etc.

I usually have 8 tomato plants and 8 eggplants growing in the greenhouse so every few days I make some food and that keeps me well stocked for trips.

It's good to remember that if you have a luck boost from Lucky Lunch/Spicy Eel/etc, if you eat a different kind of food that affects your stats at all to recover health/energy, it overwrites the previous buffs and you lose the extra luck.

The easiest and cheapest means of recovery is just to bring a huge stack of sashimi which you should easily be able to get from the dozen or two crab pots you ought to have running by now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got level 100 on my 4th trip to skull cavern.

I had a bunch of triple shot espresso, spicy eels, 60 bombs, and 20 staircases.

Made it to the 100th floor at 1:40 am!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I stopped running crab pots a long time ago. It really is not worth the time and effort of harvesting them and rebaiting them. There are so many easier foods to make (and foods that heal more health are much better if you're playing multiplayer especially, since it doesn't pause while you're eating)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Crab pots are really only efficient if you're running automate I think.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been thinking of a place to deploy crab pots that isnt out of the way. Does the pond in the secret forest make good fish?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
From what I can tell, Crab pots give you the same stuff regardless of where you put them, with the sole exception of the ocean. So it honestly makes sense just to have the Crab pots on your farm's pond if you just want fresh water stuff. There's literally no point going out of your way to put them in the forest lake or similar.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Automate solves all crab pot related issues. Honestly, I'd have a hard time playing without it now that I've gotten use to how easy it makes so many things.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Crab pots are clutch when Linus gives you that special order to fish up 20 trash in a week

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Crab pots are clutch when Linus gives you that special order to fish up 20 trash in a week
I started thinking this, asking myself "But I still only have three crab pots in the watering hole. Maybe I should finally make/buy more?"

Then I remembered I was on the default farm and just fished trash out of my pond :downs:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

webmeister posted:

The solution to that is going fishing in the caves. Took me a day.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I fished trash out of the bathhouse pond the same day I got that challenge.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah I know there's easy ways to do it, but I'm clearing 10 crab pots daily anyway, so it took 0 extra effort and I finished the quest on I think the Thursday :shrug:

Prismatic slime, on the other hand :argh:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Please tell me I can keep the Qi Fruit seeds, no way am I gonna make 400 of these assholes in 20 days.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

Please tell me I can keep the Qi Fruit seeds, no way am I gonna make 400 of these assholes in 20 days.

You'll keep whatever you didn't ship, yeah.

When I tried (and failed) that quest, I learned way too late that you can use seed makers to turn the fruits into more seeds. It seems like the only way to realistically get 500 before the month is up, since the drop rate on them is hideously low.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

LLSix posted:

If you get maybe four to six naturally you can use the luck bonus to jumpstart your collection by killing the winged serpents in the skull cave. My inventory of them has fluctuated but grown overall and I now have about fifty, profiting above my investment of two to stay lucky all day I’d say two runs out of three.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been thinking of a place to deploy crab pots that isnt out of the way. Does the pond in the secret forest make good fish?

Once I have mine carts up and running I put 5 in a row just outside the mines at the mountain lake. Once I get high enough fishing I have Worm Bins near the exit/entrance so I can grab the bait refill the crabpots and then come back in and put them in the recycling machines I have ready if any trash. It's a quick and simple process but not something I have to do everyday.

Also on the subject of Spicy Eel: the desert trader will trade one for a Ruby everyday so I have some crystalariums set up with Rubies to get some free on top of my random chance of Lava Eel Fish Pond producing them.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just filled my greenhouse completely with coffee as a placeholder while growing my ancient fruit stash, I chug it constantly and hand it out indiscriminately as gifts and still have 500-some left in my stack

This is how I found out that coffee and spicy eel don't cancel each other out if you're consuming them both in the skull cavern, wheeeeeeeee

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

Isn't his also true for quality fertilizers?

The speed gro only works for the initial growth phase, but not on re-growth.
The fertilizers work for the first harvest, and every re-growth, but if the crop gives multiples, it only affects the first one. I.e. coffee, blueberries, cranberries, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Bifauxnen posted:

I just filled my greenhouse completely with coffee as a placeholder while growing my ancient fruit stash, I chug it constantly and hand it out indiscriminately as gifts and still have 500-some left in my stack

This is how I found out that coffee and spicy eel don't cancel each other out if you're consuming them both in the skull cavern, wheeeeeeeee
You get one food and one drink. So in 1.5 ginger ale can be a luck boost instead of coffee speed but eeh.