Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Not only that, if you have electric heating it's basically net 0 change in power. (Unless your room gets too hot I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/JimmyG303/status/1359202746285580290

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
look bitcoin is stupid but im not going to pretend i'm not envious i didnt toss like $500 at it years ago when i was young & working in IT with extra cash.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Anybody here actually, like, contribute to distributed computing now? I figure if I’m gonna burn power it might as well help research.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

It's Lunar New Year coming up, so a lot of factories are going to be closing for at least a week. I expect some people are jacking up their prices knowing nothing new is going to hit the market in that time.

Yep, Feb 12th is the first day and it should last two weeks for most of China.

Expect nothing to be produced or shipped out of China during that time, and even the return to work will require some ramp up time.

Bitcoin is a great way to move money around without banks or governments being able to scrutinize it, and one of the countries with the strongest currency controls is China, so it's not surprising gpus mysteriously never leave the country and instead turn up as bitcoin mining farms.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

jfc that was close...I’ve long since determined there’s no way I’m dropping almost 2k on a 3090, but I did decide that the FE’s 1500 price is, like, all right, I guess.

I was waiting in the car to pick the kids up from school and the discord popped a notice on an Amazon card and I got excited and didn’t realize that the 1500 price tag was for a 3080 because I got there too slow, or I got the prices confused in my head, or something. Ordered it as fast as possible and then promptly realized my mistake. Fortunately, canceling within 30 seconds worked fine and I am not the less-than-proud owner of a 200% msrp card.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Enough for 100,000 trips through time in Doc Brown's DeLorean, every year.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Fauxtool posted:

is that the current easy mode settings for mining, just drop the power slider?

There are some EZ mode settings per card that should work for most cards, usually underclocking the core clock, OC on mem, and power slider probably in the 50-60% range (if the settings list an absolute wattage, just take the percentage of the spec sheet TDP).
e.g.
https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/nvidia-and-amd-graphics-card-oc-settings-for-mining
https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/nvidia-rtx-3000-series-overclocking-guide-to-increase-mining-profits
https://github.com/nicehash/excavator/tree/master/examples/single_oc_cards

I was able to get around the advertised 60 MH/s with my poo poo-tier (non-OC) Zotac 3070 and the fan level/temps don't even get that high w/ the power level under 60% (and I didn't even OC the mem as much as some of those suggest as I couldn't figure out how to underclock the core more than ~500 via MSI Afterburner). Sometimes it seems you have to apply the card settings after the mining algo has generated the DAG to avoid errors though (so maybe not quite EZ mode), but it definitely doesn't seem like there's any reason to be running close to 100% power/temps.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pro click, thanks
$13 a day and heating up my freezing room is a sweet deal for now.
Im looking forward to paying this gpu off in a few months.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 10, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hasturtium posted:

Anybody here actually, like, contribute to distributed computing now? I figure if I’m gonna burn power it might as well help research.

I just booted F@H back up on my machine a few days ago.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

OhFunny posted:

I just booted F@H back up on my machine a few days ago.

This.

gently caress crypto.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Turns out the slogan „2080Ti performance for 500 bucks with the 3070“ is a Meme now.
900 Euro for a performance we got 28 months ago with only 8 instead of 11 GB VRAM.
That’s funny.

A Discord buddy that made fun of me paying 1800+ for the 3090 Strix several months ago and told me I should have waited to save 100 Euro weeks later, now finally gave up.
He bought the same GPU from German retailer Alternate (also known as Scalpernate).
He ended up with 2600 Euro, and who is talking now lol.

The GPU market completely hosed and this won’t change for many months I fear.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 10, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

pro click, thanks

How are your memory temps? I'd be really worried seeing 100+C on the GDDR6X

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The 3080 this is MIA here as well, even with 3090 MSRP

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Yeah ebay prices needed to tend towards retail.

Its not doing that which makes it even more worth while to just buy every card that hits a shelf and toss it on ebay.

I think its going to be total poo poo until the 0-50 age bracket is mostly vaccinated and things are normal.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shipon posted:

How are your memory temps? I'd be really worried seeing 100+C on the GDDR6X

HWinfo says vram temp 70c, not even remotely a concern
Its a strix that im forcing to run at 80% fans when it rarely goes above 55% on its own. The memory has thermal pads on both sides contacting with the heatsink and backplate.
Its not even remotely close to throttling so the memory is definitely running in spec.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 10, 2021

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just give up at this point. Every card from now on is going to be used to convert coal into golden calves. So glad I grabbed an RTX 2060 before the global Ponzi gambling cult went critical.

Maybe in 3 years they'll have a sub 168mm RTX 4060 that I can be shoehorned into this stupidly impractical case.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

spunkshui posted:

This.

gently caress crypto.

Another option is joining the RNDR Network (cloud based rendering via blockchain) and helping artists render work out (for money!!!!).

https://www.reddit.com/r/RenderToken/comments/essl98/eli5_rendertoken_rndr/

It's REALLY useful and I probably use it at least a few times a week to free up my gpu so I can work on other shots/renders while the cloud chugs away.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

1400 Canadian Dollars for a 3070 on Amazon now. This market is completely hosed.

I'm just crossing my fingers my 1080 doesn't poo poo the bed for the next 8-12 months.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So we all camping out the Microcenter next Thursday morning while furiously refreshing Amazon or what?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Is the 1660 still being made? I was hoping to pick one up at some point for my living room PC but inevitably everything is out of stock and ebay prices are a joke.

Meanwhile, I still have an outstanding order for a 3080 from launch day. Haven't moved in the queue for weeks.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spunkshui posted:

Production seems to be worse now tbh... The average price on ebay is climbing, not falling.

Since I need 2 cards for our 2 rigs or its pointless I'm giving up for the year.

I'm done getting disappointed, I'm just ignoring all PC games and playing through a bunch of final fantasy games.

Something is deeply wrong if ebay prices are climbing 5 months after your product is released.

I can't help but think this is gonna bite AAA game studios in the rear end as far as PC game sales are concerned, especially if PC gamers collectively say "gently caress this" and go back to consoles that are slightly easier to find.

Wildcard predictions:
1. Integrated graphics come back in a big way.
2. Indie games with very light graphics requirements sell like gangbusters.
3. Bitcoin manages to gently caress up 1) and 2) when someone finds a way to mine on a goddamned APU.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPJ0dYKj74

This Aussie techtuber I follow is claiming that he's seeing GTX 1050Ti cards coming back on stock

The theory he's going with is that NVidia is spinning-up production of these Pascal cards again because they've had that capacity in their back pocket all this time for selling cards to miners, but since:

1. the miners are preferring Ampere cards
2. consumers need something in the low-end market
3. demand is so high right now that you can still sell a brand-new GTX 1050Ti at its on-release price

that they're tapping that capacity to instead sell consumer-oriented cards rather than mining-oriented cards (and especially since miners themselves wouldn't want to buy those P105 cards with no video output because the resale value is crap)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
that seems like something that shouldn't be too hard to confirm or deny for those in the know

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Fauxtool posted:

pro click, thanks

wow does this ever chap my rear end, you're selling botting services and cards above MSRP & the profit isnt enough to "pay off this gpu" that $13 a day (at best) is meaningful enough to just go "eh gently caress it, nuke the planet"

its not great thinking but an individual who has taken a bath on availability & endless price increases trying to recoup their investment is still morally different than a scalper keeping a card then claiming financial hardship to pay it off.

and to be clear i dont generally give a single poo poo about your f5 services, its totally fine, but to then claim you need to do this to pay off the card is literally loving rich

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPJ0dYKj74

This Aussie techtuber I follow is claiming that he's seeing GTX 1050Ti cards coming back on stock

The theory he's going with is that NVidia is spinning-up production of these Pascal cards again because they've had that capacity in their back pocket all this time for selling cards to miners, but since:

1. the miners are preferring Ampere cards
2. consumers need something in the low-end market
3. demand is so high right now that you can still sell a brand-new GTX 1050Ti at its on-release price

that they're tapping that capacity to instead sell consumer-oriented cards rather than mining-oriented cards (and especially since miners themselves wouldn't want to buy those P105 cards with no video output because the resale value is crap)

Most likely it's not using that thing that everyone is trying to use for their GPU/CPU (that die thing that keeps popping up in the thread) so they can use different companies to make the components and pump those GPU out while leaving the Ampere production alone in its corner so now they have more cards to sell to people looking at lower performances or being able to put them in pre-built or laptops. I think the laptop makers are doing the same thing and using older generation AMD CPU since it's impossible for them to get the newest 6000 series for their laptops.

I'm getting real frustrated at the stock in Canada when you have no option to pick them up in person. I'm starting to worry that my 1070 will die and will be hosed since I now don't see an end to this madness with the mining that came back while the situation was already ridiculous.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

bus hustler posted:

wow does this ever chap my rear end, you're selling botting services and cards above MSRP & the profit isnt enough to "pay off this gpu" that $13 a day (at best) is meaningful enough to just go "eh gently caress it, nuke the planet"

its not great thinking but an individual who has taken a bath on availability & endless price increases trying to recoup their investment is still morally different than a scalper keeping a card then claiming financial hardship to pay it off.

and to be clear i dont generally give a single poo poo about your f5 services, its totally fine, but to then claim you need to do this to pay off the card is literally loving rich

I don't see how selling his time to get hard to obtain items has any bearing on deciding to offset the cost of a card he decided to keep by mining. I might feel differently if someone instead just sniped dozens of cards with the sole intent of mining.

Disclosure: I used his service to buy a card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I don't see how selling his time to get hard to obtain items has any bearing on deciding to offset the cost of a card he decided to keep by mining. I might feel differently if someone instead just sniped dozens of cards with the sole intent of mining.

what about sniping to scalp miners?

Fauxtool posted:

Im sure the guy who bought 3 3080s and a 6800xt from me at 300 over msrp actually built 4 gaming PCs and definitely isnt mining on them. A 200 day ROI is perfectly reasonable to these people

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Disclosure: I used his service to buy a card.

uh they offset the cost a bunch of times over by scalping cards, they have made hundreds or thousands of dollars off of people's misery with this process (and are NOT just selling on SA) and then claim that they need to contribute even a tiny bit extra to making the entire planet worse for $13 loving dollars a day to "pay off" this video card with etherium and dogecoins?

poo poo i dont even know if im even annoyed that they're doing it or that they had the nerve to post that loving justification out loud, talk about double dipping on everyone's misery in the most self serving way.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Why try to help research dumb, boring things like Alzheimer's when you can instead burn the planet to generate ransomware doubloons? Get in on the ground floor of the next attack. Which major city's hospital infrastructure will be kneecapped during the pandemic? Will there be a new contender or will our current champ, Atlanta, continue their streak? Time's a tickin until someone on a secure network tries to open marvelmovie.exe and you can catch all the excitement right here in the GPU thread!

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Now do using oil-powered transportation to go anywhere non-essential

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

90s Solo Cup posted:

I can't help but think this is gonna bite AAA game studios in the rear end as far as PC game sales are concerned, especially if PC gamers collectively say "gently caress this" and go back to consoles that are slightly easier to find.

Wildcard predictions:
3. Bitcoin manages to gently caress up 1) and 2) when someone finds a way to mine on a goddamned APU.

Forgot AAA, the DIY PC market won't be selling new rigs if this GPU drought keeps up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now the DIY will be making your own video card.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Palladium posted:

Forgot AAA, the DIY PC market won't be selling new rigs if this GPU drought keeps up
The guy who bought my 1080ti and PS said he had a gently caress of a time getting top-notch components for his high end build and finally realized he needed to "settle" for his CPU and, of course, GPU. I think his main-board too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm glad I was able to make a computer last year after the initial rush of the super gpu calmed down a bit. But its pretty much means I'm stuck with it for another 2/3 years at this rate

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

90s Solo Cup posted:

Wildcard predictions:

I, for one, buy too many games and I end up not playing them or finishing them... I'm saying that to contrast my current situation since I can't replace my video card to play on my first post 60fps (1440p 144hz) monitor, I'm not buying the newest AAA games until I can enjoy them with a 3080. I must not be alone so I agree it might impact sales.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

None of the CPUs with integrated graphics are easy to find right now either, btw. If you want to purchase any of the $99 Ryzens, be prepared to spend nearly twice that much from a reseller

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

stellers bae posted:

Welcome to the GPU thread, friend. Cozy yourself around any of the graphics processing units and enjoy a nice, hot mug of cocoa. Sit a spell and rest those weary bones. You can get back to wasting electricity for child traffickers when you've recovered. Stay awhile!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

change my name posted:

None of the CPUs with integrated graphics are easy to find right now either, btw. If you want to purchase any of the $99 Ryzens, be prepared to spend nearly twice that much from a reseller

At least those aren't (yet) being used for mining. It makes sense for them to be prioritized for laptops and big PC makers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

stellers bae posted:

Bitcoin uses more power than a majority of countries do, when the entire stupid thing can run on a single computer. It's a bit different than driving to the lake for the weekend.