Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Solitair posted:

I just finished watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's heel turn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqkOfEPqeu0

This oughta keep the thread burning for another month.

Made it 16 mins.

Unforgivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
His "oh, this game you brought up that I didn't put anywhere on the list, surely this game doesn't belong in the DEAD ZONE, does it?" thing got really tiring. He has some pretty dire tastes at times too. I had the whole thing on in the background while working one day, it was alright I guess

His tier names were pretty great though

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Captain Invictus posted:

His "oh, this game you brought up that I didn't put anywhere on the list, surely this game doesn't belong in the DEAD ZONE, does it?" thing got really tiring. He has some pretty dire tastes at times too. I had the whole thing on in the background while working one day, it was alright I guess

His tier names were pretty great though

I used to listen to SEW's podcast but dropped it pretty quickly because yeah his hot takes are pretty tiring to listen to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You've got one Fire Emblem to put as your favorite and you pick Fire Emblem Awakening. :doh:

If you picked FE4/5 I'd understand it because you're old school. If you picked 7 I'd understand it because it was the first one released in the west. If you picked 9 or even 10 I'd get it because PoR slaps and RD while flawed has tons of interesting ideas going for it. If you picked Three Houses I'd get it. I'd even take Fates over it, because at least Conquest was funny.

loving Awakening though? :lol::lol::lol:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thedangergroove posted:

The absolute dread I felt when after enjoying a very interesting look at a nearly century old MRE and suddenly realizing "oh god, he eats them?!"

First 2/3rds of the videos are great, though.

A century is nothing; I've seen that man eat 120+-year-old British Beef Bullion from a Boer War survival pack :suspense:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoHuMwZwTk

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Sydin posted:

You've got one Fire Emblem to put as your favorite and you pick Fire Emblem Awakening. :doh:

If you picked FE4/5 I'd understand it because you're old school. If you picked 7 I'd understand it because it was the first one released in the west. If you picked 9 or even 10 I'd get it because PoR slaps and RD while flawed has tons of interesting ideas going for it. If you picked Three Houses I'd get it. I'd even take Fates over it, because at least Conquest was funny.

loving Awakening though? :lol::lol::lol:

Awakening is a good game, pretty well-liked by the FE fanbase, and a lot of people got introduced to the series over it. Sorry if that rankles your Correct Fire Emblem Opinions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Neo_Crimson posted:

Awakening is a good game

:hmmno:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Why would I care about Fire Emblem when both Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics exists? :v:

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

SteelMentor posted:

Reading Hagan's account of that and how it was basically only her and her wife who tried to intervene

Husband. Look, there's no way you could have known this unless you follow him on Twitter, but Omega (Hagan's partner) came out as trans well over a year ago.

Anyway, it's good that Lordkat has fallen into obscurity, one of the biggest assholes of the old CA group.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Lord help me, I cannot stop watching Nikocado Avocado and Orlin's ridiculous utterly put on over dramatic daily mukbang soap opera. I know it's complete and utter loving trash and I can't help it.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Gonna be honest, I still don't get why this is a big deal and why it always gets specifically pinned on Spoony.

Why are the dummies who kept giving him $X a month not culpable for not paying attention and pulling their support? Why is this not a fundamental flaw with Patreon itself, since it seems like that would either be against their TOS or otherwise be something they'd want to crack down on?

Even ITT we would regularly get people stopping by to keep us up to date on how Spoony was still stealing money from honest fans!!!! making money for doing nothing and how this was an outrage.

Idk, the whole thing reeks of weird entitled Kickstarter backer attitudes where people think the money is explicitly transactional - I put money into the Spoony Content vending machine and nothing came out, this is bullshit!

I think if you’re asking for money from someone like that, it’s your responsibility to keep them updated regularly on the status of the work you’re doing. There wouldn’t have been a problem if he’d been honest, editing his patreon page and sending out a message to his backers saying “sorry, I’m not able to work on this right now due to personal reasons”; it’s the fact that he just went radio silent on the issue that rubbed people the wrong way.

But you’re right in that some of his more toxic fans took it too far, acting like they were entitled to a movie or whatever.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Awakening is a good game, pretty well-liked by the FE fanbase, and a lot of people got introduced to the series over it. Sorry if that rankles your Correct Fire Emblem Opinions.

I never played Awakening so I have no real opinions on it but from what I remember it was at best controversial in the FE fanbase back when it was relevant (I kinda fell out of FE a bit after Fates so I dunno how it is remembered these days). Between being the first proper new FE with casual mode making the grogs mad, and the backlash against the Pair Up mechanic and all that.

It did certainly start the FE resurgence though, albeit some of that can probably just be attributed to the fact that it didn't fumble some part of another of its release. I'm still kind of awed that they got to release exactly one game for the Wii and it ended up being a sequel to a not very popular game on a low-selling console so they completely squandered any opportunity to rejuvenate the playerbase.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I think I only watched one Nikacado mukbang, mostly because the thumbnail of Nik's face smeared in guacamole looked pretty funny. Then I saw how it went down in the video itself, and it made me so uncomfortable that I couldn't watch past it. It looks too much like a violent attack to make me feel good about watching it.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

stillvisions posted:

I feel like there needs to be "content creator desperation bingo" cards as changing audiences and the YouTube algorithm drive creators to jump into mukbang, ASMR, creepasta etc. to have something up every week. Or if they've simply run out of stuff in their niche and are trying to find another.

these content creators are gone, they're dead husks, shambling on as internet revenants, the actions and the body are there... but "them" the thing that makes them "them" is gone, that spark, that joy, the spontenaity of their creations

You can see it in the eyes of so many content creators, in the eyes of william dafoe in the eyes of contrapoints or anyone currently or previously associated with channel awesome

to create content is to be at the behest of a semi-perma energy vampire that robs you of your humanity like a dog at a birthday party hoovering up the crumbs of a half eaten birthday cake

Kim Justice posted:

Lord help me, I cannot stop watching Nikocado Avocado and Orlin's ridiculous utterly put on over dramatic daily mukbang soap opera. I know it's complete and utter loving trash and I can't help it.

I love Nikocado's descent into a flesh golem, how he debases himself on a daily basis, look at his earliest videos and contrast them with his most recent;

that man is gone. he is dead. the automata that exists in he place only continues to do so for pennies a day, in a fair society he'd have never fallen so far, so deep, he'd be getting help

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 10, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bakeneko posted:

I think if you’re asking for money from someone like that, it’s your responsibility to keep them updated regularly on the status of the work you’re doing. There wouldn’t have been a problem if he’d been honest, editing his patreon page and sending out a message to his backers saying “sorry, I’m not able to work on this right now due to personal reasons”; it’s the fact that he just went radio silent on the issue that rubbed people the wrong way.

But you’re right in that some of his more toxic fans took it too far, acting like they were entitled to a movie or whatever.

Maybe I just have an overly idealized/radical/mishapen notion of Patreon. I'm not sure how to fully put it into words.

For me personally I'm more than happy to consider Patreon support to be a simple donation, with zero expectations or demands. But perhaps I'm in the minority.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anyway, demolish capitalism.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe I just have an overly idealized/radical/mishapen notion of Patreon. I'm not sure how to fully put it into words.

For me personally I'm more than happy to consider Patreon support to be a simple donation, with zero expectations or demands. But perhaps I'm in the minority.

this isn't actually rare! I used to listen to the Shut Up And Sit Down podcast, and they talked openly about how they'd been feeling burned out and they felt like they needed to pause for a moment and the response from patrons was overwhelmingly "change your billing to monthly and take a vacation, it's ok" because the people backing folk on patreon are generally there because they like the creators and want them to be healthy and happy.

I don't think the people who were still donating to spoony years after he had produced a video were duped in any way and constantly claiming he was somehow robbing them are really strange to me!

(like I'm still supporting a dude on patreon who stopped putting out videos like 2 years ago because of Severe Depression Issues and I'm ok with that because it's only a few bucks and they're good people, you know)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bakeneko posted:

This is basically my stance on the matter and people definitely take that poo poo too far, but there are a good few cases of a creator just kind of.... Vanishing? Without any kind of word, but continuing to take patreon money and maybe occasionally sending out like a yearly update that's just "thank you to all my patreons" without any kind of update on their game/comic while people spin their wheels and yeah, maybe those people should just stop supporting someone who does that. But it feels like it's also on the creator to say "Okay guys I'm not going to be updating this for a while because of X reason." And if people are comfortable with continuing to pledge money to a creator they like without the return, then that's fine. It's their money to do with as they please. But it feels lovely to just keep the other people on the hook like that. Especially if you're one of those very select few creators who will start a new project with its own patreon and donations and all that jazz and then try to advertise it on the good will that you're the creator of That Thing while still taking in money on That Thing's patreon too. And so on and so forth.

Basically I feel like it largely comes down to communication and expectations and it'd be nice if people could manage both better on all sides so everyone could be a bit happier overall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Every time Channel Awesome comes up I'm glad I never watched/got involved in any of it because all the drama just sounds exhausting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shaun will disable charges on Patreon when he's behind on stuff. He's done it several times in the few months I've been a patron. It sucks seeing how much Spoony was bringing in because if his brain hadn't betrayed him he'd be living on easy street between that and streaming.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the thing about patreon is that there's no obligation in any way whatsoever to keep being subscribed to someone

if someone's choosing to keep feeding money into it, they're making that choice. you might not think that person is doing enough to 'deserve' the money they're getting, but clearly the people sending the money feel like it's a good place for it to go

(i don't know anything about the people being talked about specifically here)

edit: oh right, the talk about Content Creation also made me want to link this classic from LRR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDqAcGm0Dg

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 10, 2021

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I can completely understand someone being in the midst of a mental breakdown which has lasted years at this point and their first though not being “I really need to update my patrons”.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I never played Awakening so I have no real opinions on it but from what I remember it was at best controversial in the FE fanbase back when it was relevant (I kinda fell out of FE a bit after Fates so I dunno how it is remembered these days). Between being the first proper new FE with casual mode making the grogs mad, and the backlash against the Pair Up mechanic and all that.

It did certainly start the FE resurgence though, albeit some of that can probably just be attributed to the fact that it didn't fumble some part of another of its release. I'm still kind of awed that they got to release exactly one game for the Wii and it ended up being a sequel to a not very popular game on a low-selling console so they completely squandered any opportunity to rejuvenate the playerbase.

There was definitely some reservation from fans because of the more modern anime art style and the casual mode, but there's a huge amount going for it to support why it basically resurrected the series. It was a fairly well made entry with a story that most lands, made for a pretty decent synthesis of mechanics from across the series (a second generation, a world map, class changing and multiple promotion choices, skills, My Unit), and was properly marketed on a system that everyone had.

I've only watched an LP of Fates Birthright but that one looks like a total trash fire, especially by comparison. That Fates is also a confusing 3 games where the third is digital only and locked behind finishing one of the other 2 games is a baffling choice. At least Nintendo finally realized their vision for the Zelda Oracle games.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Trojan Kaiju posted:

There was definitely some reservation from fans because of the more modern anime art style and the casual mode, but there's a huge amount going for it to support why it basically resurrected the series. It was a fairly well made entry with a story that most lands, made for a pretty decent synthesis of mechanics from across the series (a second generation, a world map, class changing and multiple promotion choices, skills, My Unit), and was properly marketed on a system that everyone had.

It also had a really good localization and some great characters. The localization of Awakening became even more apparent compared to Fates which was... not. (Although they still hilariously threw shade at Persona 5's in a very mote/plank eye situation.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I've only watched an LP of Fates Birthright but that one looks like a total trash fire, especially by comparison. That Fates is also a confusing 3 games where the third is digital only and locked behind finishing one of the other 2 games is a baffling choice. At least Nintendo finally realized their vision for the Zelda Oracle games.

Fates Birthright and Revelations are contenders for absolute worst in the series, yeah. Fates Conquest is actually kind of all right half because the map design is way more interesting and there's a good level of challenge, and half because the story loops into so bad it's good territory. Conquest is the one where you side with the evil empire, and your obviously evil emperor dad is trying so hard to kill Corrin but failing with Corrin being too thick to notice. So half the game is just Corrin waltzing back into the throne room covered in blood with a big smile on their face and their dad awkwardly shuffling and going "Ah yes, uh, congratulations for overcoming my fifth test of your strength! You are a true asset to the empire. Now, for your SIXTH test of strength-"

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah a lot of people were mad about casual mode which is dumb because it's basically just cutting out the middleman of resetting everytime a character dies, which is what everybody does anyway. My problems with Awakening are more that the map design is flat and boring, way too many characters are just one note jokes made into a character (something FE has always been guilty of with a portion of its cast, but it just felt like EVERYBODY in Awakening) the story is terrible even by FE standards, and it firmly solidified the whole "My Unit" thing which I really dislike but have since learned to accept as just being a pillar of the series now.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

I love Nikocado's descent into a flesh golem, how he debases himself on a daily basis, look at his earliest videos and contrast them with his most recent;

that man is gone. he is dead. the automata that exists in he place only continues to do so for pennies a day, in a fair society he'd have never fallen so far, so deep, he'd be getting help

There's a random bit in the last video he posted (well, I assume it is -- he posts a lot) where he plays violin for the first time in ages. Nikocado is really good at violin and should probably play it more. It's kinda strange because he suddenly appears calm and happy for a bit.

Still, I mean...I dunno. As far as the debasing and the depressing nature of it all goes, this is someone who cycles through these endless utterly whacked out storylines of him and Orlin cheating on each other and then Orlin randomly being replaced by Orlin in a giant panda mask. Also Nikocado's pregnant and they're getting married again, but tomorrow he's getting divorced and he's calling corporate and it's all YOUR FAULT. And then here's a random bit where he takes the piss out of Amberlynn Reid at a Walmart before having another noodle fight with Orlin.

It's certainly a lot to go with all the food. It's all completely ludicrous and completely fake (in a wrestling storyline way where it is also entertaining, at least for people like me who clearly have no loving taste at all and should be thrown to the wolves) and yet it comes with the self-destruction of doing what appears to be multiple mukbangs every freaking day.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

A lot of people would never have touched the Fire Emblem games without casual mode, so it was effectively the first entry in the series for them and is probably a source of nostalgia at this point. That’s certainly the case for me, although I personally prefer Three Houses.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
FE Awakening also put in the pairing and children stuff that people wanted back in the series for decades, so Nintendo threw that fan base a gigantic bone too.

They tried to do the same in FE Fates even if it couldn’t work with the story, like, at all, so they came up with the solution of “couple left the child in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber from Dragon Ball Z and now they are battle ready” which is pretty stupid

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

Fates Birthright and Revelations are contenders for absolute worst in the series, yeah. Fates Conquest is actually kind of all right half because the map design is way more interesting and there's a good level of challenge, and half because the story loops into so bad it's good territory. Conquest is the one where you side with the evil empire, and your obviously evil emperor dad is trying so hard to kill Corrin but failing with Corrin being too thick to notice. So half the game is just Corrin waltzing back into the throne room covered in blood with a big smile on their face and their dad awkwardly shuffling and going "Ah yes, uh, congratulations for overcoming my fifth test of your strength! You are a true asset to the empire. Now, for your SIXTH test of strength-"

Being adopted myself Fates Birthright made me feel kind of weird in that, yes, I was related to these people by blood (well, you know) but Corrin had been raised as a part of the Conquest family since they were tiny and in all the ways that mattered the chesty gal and the rest were their siblings.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's even funnier if you play revelations and learn that none of them are actually your "real" siblings and the closest blood relative Corrin has among the cast is Azura who is their cousin. So Birthright is actually you throwing away your "fake" siblings for secretly even more fake siblings.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Well this comic finally makes sense then.

PS: Katie is the best online creator still creating.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^ Awkward Zombie is the one good gamer comic.

Do I even want to know what the gently caress a 'mukbang' is?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

^^^^ Awkward Zombie is the one good gamer comic.

Do I even want to know what the gently caress a 'mukbang' is?

It's a Korean word that just means "eat a ton of food on camera".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It also generally entails removing the pop filter on your mic so people can hear your mouth noises, because it is ultimately just another sort of weird porn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah a lot of people were mad about casual mode which is dumb because it's basically just cutting out the middleman of resetting everytime a character dies, which is what everybody does anyway.

I think casual mode does a bit more than that. Yeah, it's rare for someone to ironman a Fire Emblem game, especially the modern ones that really aren't designed for it, so people who play on classic mode reset if someone dies anyway. But that means that anyone dying becomes a map failure condition. If you're on casual mode, you can sacrifice a unit for temporary gain during a map and know you'll get them back; if you're on classic mode, you can't. So it does change how you play.

That said I think it's a good inclusion in the series. I don't use it personally, but I'm really glad it's there for people who want it. (I also like Divine Pulse in FE3H--that one really is cutting out the middleman of me resetting whenever someone dies and just saving me a bunch of time in my Maddening runs :v:)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

There's a random bit in the last video he posted (well, I assume it is -- he posts a lot) where he plays violin for the first time in ages. Nikocado is really good at violin and should probably play it more. It's kinda strange because he suddenly appears calm and happy for a bit.

Still, I mean...I dunno. As far as the debasing and the depressing nature of it all goes, this is someone who cycles through these endless utterly whacked out storylines of him and Orlin cheating on each other and then Orlin randomly being replaced by Orlin in a giant panda mask. Also Nikocado's pregnant and they're getting married again, but tomorrow he's getting divorced and he's calling corporate and it's all YOUR FAULT. And then here's a random bit where he takes the piss out of Amberlynn Reid at a Walmart before having another noodle fight with Orlin.

It's certainly a lot to go with all the food. It's all completely ludicrous and completely fake (in a wrestling storyline way where it is also entertaining, at least for people like me who clearly have no loving taste at all and should be thrown to the wolves) and yet it comes with the self-destruction of doing what appears to be multiple mukbangs every freaking day.

In a way I feel greasy after watching one of his video's, it's similar to the act of watching Jerry kyle in that we're watching the degeneration of a human via the medium of videos

Is it possible that in the mind of nikocado he is consciously making the decision to continue documenting the disintegration of he own life because he wants to send a signal to us all about the ethereal nature of being a content creator?

He's sort of like boogie...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harrow posted:

I think casual mode does a bit more than that. Yeah, it's rare for someone to ironman a Fire Emblem game, especially the modern ones that really aren't designed for it, so people who play on classic mode reset if someone dies anyway. But that means that anyone dying becomes a map failure condition. If you're on casual mode, you can sacrifice a unit for temporary gain during a map and know you'll get them back; if you're on classic mode, you can't. So it does change how you play.

That said I think it's a good inclusion in the series. I don't use it personally, but I'm really glad it's there for people who want it. (I also like Divine Pulse in FE3H--that one really is cutting out the middleman of me resetting whenever someone dies and just saving me a bunch of time in my Maddening runs :v:)

That's fair, and yeah I don't use it either but I think it's a good addition. FE has definitely been moving in a much more forgiving direction with regards to character "death", hell even if you play classic in Three Houses you still get the Divine Pulse mechanic. Even FE10 let you save in the middle of a chapter and reload at any time which was very much appreciated for some of the more bullshit Dawn Brigade missions, like the one where you have to baby an entire army of severely underleveled characters through a fog of war chapter vs Laguz units who almost all 2-3 shot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Only thing I know about Fire Emblem is it takes up slots in Smash that coulda been filled by characters anyone actually knows.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

It also generally entails removing the pop filter on your mic so people can hear your mouth noises, because it is ultimately just another sort of weird porn.

For some reason few things infuriate me more than if I can hear someone's mouth noises. That poo poo just sets me irrationally ablaze with hate.

YouTubers: If you do this where I can reach you, I will enter your dreams to tear you apart from the inside. Be warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They killed advance wars for fire emblem :(

Imagine having Sami in smash