Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

theflyingexecutive posted:

who tf in this country spells it “cheques”?
Russia is outsourcing its troll farms to the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wait so Bernie voted for this what i can only assume is an insane pro cop bill. loving hell

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I’ll save yourself a trip to her twitter and can tell you half of her tweets sound like a british dandy and the other half are in aave (she is not black)

which is not to say she’s wrong of course

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

KomradeX posted:

Wait so Bernie voted for this what i can only assume is an insane pro cop bill. loving hell

I can't even find this vote.

When did this pass?

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
pretty sure its one of those bills/amendments/resolutions/whatever that has no actual like.. law, but its the house/senate etc making an "official statement"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Biplane posted:

drat, your country is gonna collapse this year.

god willing, america will cease to blight this tainted orb before 2022

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

pretty sure its one of those bills/amendments/resolutions/whatever that has no actual like.. law, but its the house/senate etc making an "official statement"
Also the odds are extremely high the actual text is much vaguer than this person is claiming. It might not even say anything about the topic.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Four months from now when 98% of americans are infected, homeless and broke, what will the billionaires and their pets do? Nobody can afford to buy anything... does amazon just leave country?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Biplane posted:

Four months from now when 98% of americans are infected, homeless and broke, what will the billionaires and their pets do? Nobody can afford to buy anything... does amazon just leave country?

The most shortsighted will just retreat to private villas, more practical ones will aim for neofeudalism, where amazon will rent you the workspace to work in their warehouses. The really dumb want to seastead or colonize space.
They all grossly overestimate their capabilities, while underestimating the challenges and how much they need a functional society.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KomradeX posted:

naw it's not even close

S.Con.Res.5 is the budget CR for the next fiscal year

as you can see here:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-concurrent-resolution/5/amendments?searchResultViewType=expanded&q={%22senate-sponsor%22:%22Cornyn,+John+[R-TX]%22} [I cannot get this url tag working for the life of me]
Cornyn proposed 11 amendments to it

the second of those is
S.Amdt. 558 — 117th Congress (2021-2022) - Purpose: To establish a deficit-neutral fund relating to funding the police.
which did indeed pass 100-0 so I'm assuming this is what he is bragging about

which if you want the text for you have to go to
the Congressional Record of the meeting where it was proposed

but here's the full text:

quote:

SEC. 3___. DEFICIT-NEUTRAL RESERVE FUND RELATING TO FUNDING
THE POLICE.

The Chairman of the Committee on the Budget of the Senate
may revise the allocations of a committee or committees,
aggregates, and other appropriate levels in this resolution,
and make adjustments to the pay-as-you-go ledger, for one or
more bills, joint resolutions, amendments, amendments between
the Houses, motions, or conference reports relating to
funding the Nation's police through programs that are in
within the jurisdiction of any committee of the Senate
instructed under section 2002, which may include funding for
law enforcement officer safety programs and fusion centers to
protect the United States from domestic and international
terrorists administered by the Department of Homeland
Security, mental and behavioral health intervention programs
administered by the Department of Health and Human Services,
programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs
to increase the hiring of military veterans as law
enforcement officers, gang and youth violence education
programs administered by the Department of Health and Human
Services, and the Department of Education, by the amounts
provided in such legislation for those purposes, provided
that such legislation would not increase the deficit over
either the period of the total of fiscal years 2021 through
2025 or the period of the total of fiscal years 2021 through
the authority is vested in the Chairman of the Committee on the Budget of the Senate, aka Sen. Bernard Sanders (I-VT)

...so broadly, it's DOA if Bernie doesn't do anything, and if he does, well, let's hope it's mental and behavioral health intervention programs or gang and youth violence education programs and not the other poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Feb 10, 2021

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia is outsourcing its troll farms to the UK.

Its Canadians showing our.... themselves.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it’s very scary because I live here but it’s also insanely badass because this country is horrifically evil and must be destroyed if something better is going to be built on its ruins

Lol if you think something better will be built on the ruins. Maybe whatever is built on the ruins built on the ruins built on the ruins. On the current trajectory, that will probably be a stone age society built around the arctic circle.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Biplane posted:

If the thousands of movies & books about the future are right; expect corporatocracy to become the norm.

You better hope you're found worthy to be enslaved by Google and not Walmart.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

If the thousands of movies & books about the future are right; expect corporatocracy to become the norm.

You better hope you're found worthy to be enslaved by Google and not Walmart.

feudalism, but wokely and neoliberal, so that there are no mutual obligations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"Come work for Amazon, and you'll never have to worry about where you'll eat, sleep, and do hygiene ever again thanks to our direct Work4Rent compensation plans that replace the traditional wage labor exchange!"

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
The debt can still run far deeper. It's not even the norm yet for educational institutions or corporations to take a guaranteed percentage of lifetime job earnings no matter where you work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
1,400 is a first and last month’s rent still in a few parts of this country, at least until remote working midwesterners find all these places and inflate the economy past what the people who have to work there can afford.

Not to say this is a sufficient amount of aid in any sense.

Rick has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Feb 10, 2021

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it’s very scary because I live here but it’s also insanely badass because this country is horrifically evil and must be destroyed if something better is going to be built on its ruins

we need to speed up the process

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Can't we just enjoy a tasty not-bitter presidential pilsner together?

I want to firebomb this brewery

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

Locking the succ thread is like when they turn off that container unit in Ghostbusters. Now there's loose succ energy everywhere.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Fleetwood posted:

I want to firebomb this brewery

yea it's succ lib, but Minocqua is serious chud northwoods Wisconsin and they have pissed off EVERYBODY up there. The only place they've found to sell that beer is Madison=>Milwaukee, any place up there that agreed to carry it got visited by redneck GOPers and "talked into" not carrying it.

I'm surprised it hasn't been firebombed yet.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

papa horny michael posted:

The debt can still run far deeper. It's not even the norm yet for educational institutions or corporations to take a guaranteed percentage of lifetime job earnings no matter where you work.

lol what the gently caress do you think student loans are

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

1,400 is a first and last month’s rent still in a few parts of this country

Maybe 5 years ago but pretty much everywhere is unaffordable now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yea it's succ lib, but Minocqua is serious chud northwoods Wisconsin and they have pissed off EVERYBODY up there. The only place they've found to sell that beer is Madison=>Milwaukee, any place up there that agreed to carry it got visited by redneck GOPers and "talked into" not carrying it.

I'm surprised it hasn't been firebombed yet.

horseshoe theory at work

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's pretty wild that the white supremacists are that mad about a beer dedicated to one of the primary architects of the carceral state.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe 5 years ago but pretty much everywhere is unaffordable now.

It is getting close but sub 700 rent for a 1 bedroom is still a thing in parts of the south and southwest. Usually the thing that goes with that is sub $8.00 minimum wage though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's pretty wild that the white supremacists are that mad about a beer dedicated to one of the primary architects of the carceral state.

That's way too many layers for them. Surface level or nothing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cup Runneth Over posted:

also there's one that explicitly does this: Lambda School

and then there's a kinda student loan called an Income Share Agreement that finance corps sell now

grim poo poo

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

Can't we just enjoy a tasty not-bitter presidential pilsner together?

the joke behind Billy Beer was that it was the president's brother while tasting like poo poo

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

student loans are not remotely close to "you owe 10% of your income to your college in perpetuity"

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

wow ungrateful, he already made a g*rlboss vp!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
my profile!

btw this thread is actually fun to read now that it's Biden. Before it was just a bunch of dumb rubes but with these people at least you can be assured they can all handle a little bit more misfortune in their lives.

Biplane posted:

drat, your country is gonna collapse this year.

lol that's optimistic

Deified Data has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Feb 11, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(he pledged to vote for the Democrats for the rest of his life anyways)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oops double post

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Feb 11, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oops double post

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Feb 11, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
there are already whole countries of people locked into debt peonage that we can look at to see our future

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shipon posted:

student loans are not remotely close to "you owe 10% of your income to your college in perpetuity"

for a lot of people they kinda are

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

everytime i think about how they are means testing what crumbs we may get in the future based on your 2019 taxes i laugh heartedly.

~*~the democrats~*~

:laugh:

never not going to be funny. imagine a boot stamping on a series of rakes - forever

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A family walks into a talent agent's office and he says okay, so show me your act, and the family starts doing utterly depraved poo poo, just loving and making GBS threads everywhere, destroying things, rending their garments and flaying their flesh, for like a full five hours. At one point they tear a $100 bill in half, eat it, poo poo it out on the desk, then rub the talent agent's nose in it. At the end he says, wow, great stuff. What do you call your act?

The Democrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
the democrats' purpose is to spectacularly fail to accomplish anything in a very enraging way to ensure a republican reelection so that they can feebly claim that they tried while the neoliberals continue to plunder the world