Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Phanatic posted:

The issue is that here on the ground you’re lucky to get a few hundred watts per square meter from a solar panel that isn’t covered with mud or sand or trees or camo netting and that’s about gently caress-all compared to the power a tank needs to do anything.

Like carbon-neutral fuels and all is fine but the notion that putting solar panels on a tank would do anything but enrich the factories in China that make solar panels is ridiculous.

This. I think it was Henrik Fisker that was asked about solar panel powered cars (the Karma had a solar roof that powered some accessories), and he said it added like 4-5 extra miles of range to the car. Per week of use. In sunny weather.

Solar works with massive (fixed) square footage or low power requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Booger Presley posted:

Hey party people,

I've been trying to educate myself about these Q things and these trump things. Please someone punch me in the mouth. There are stupid people on the march and I hope I am not one of them.

There's a thread for this in DnD which might be helpful:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852601

All you really need to know about Q is that it starts out from the "no-duh" premise of "sex trafficking is bad", and ends up at "Hillary Clinton is literally drinking the blood of children murdered in satanic rituals".

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

pmchem posted:

that's an interesting post, so I'm gonna ask a dumb question: why can't those batteries just be plugged into something / have a charger run to them to keep them charged instead of running the engine?

The dumbest reason you always get is “train as you fight” because literally burning money whilst not actual training is somehow “training” and in the fight you won’t have the amenities of a well-equipped motorpool.

The actual reason is that they could. But that would require someone actually investing for infrastructure on the rotational unit bases where units come and go every 9 months rather than the units just buying new batteries, generators and actual loving turbines for themselves.

As someone said earlier DoD is a massive fraud waste and abuse.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Valtonen posted:

The dumbest reason you always get is “train as you fight” because literally burning money whilst not actual training is somehow “training” and in the fight you won’t have the amenities of a well-equipped motorpool.

I've always hated that mentality because it's immoral, illegal and impossible to "train as we fight". We don't get to turn part of the country into a warzone with people actually, intentionally (because they're supposed to be) trying to kill you (and not just out of malice or incompetence). It also doesn't make any drat sense, however you will "fight the way you train" as in, if you train hosed up and wrong, you will fight hosed up and wrong.

Did you know they don't like people notifying the fraud, waste and abuse people over training ops that provide no actual training value or do the opposite of providing training value? Especially after a mandate from higher to not be maliciously compliant and actually train, not haze, that platoon.

Congressional rep didn't care either, fortunately the governor did.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Train like I fight?

I'm gonna break contact with you and Charlie Mike then.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

All you really need to know about Q is that it starts out from the "no-duh" premise of "sex trafficking is bad", and ends up at "Hillary Clinton is literally drinking the blood of children murdered in satanic rituals".

I have had my nose in the books. I looked up and I am afraid.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-man-shot-and-killed-during-youtube-prank-gone-wrong-20210207

ITS JUST A PRANK BRO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"I should TOTALLY prank rob someone in the United States, where concealed carry is practically an addiction in certain states."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He died as he lived. Being a loving idiot.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Every ad on that page is 'spots open in luxury rehab centers in $yourtown' and 'discounts for seniors in $yourstate' which makes me wonder just what the gently caress Google thinks I've been up to

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Darwin Awards will never die.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Let's brandish some butcher knives.
That'll really let them know we're jokeing.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The Hillary Clinton stuff was stolen wholesale from Pizzagate, which was a previously-existing brand of stupid. QAnon, in my opinion, started was a way to explain that Trump, in the face of all evidence, wasn't actually a fat lazy moron.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I'm trying to figure out what the punchline would've been if he hadn't had his ticket punched right then and there.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Booger Presley posted:

I have had my nose in the books. I looked up and I am afraid.

Read what other people have said about it on these forums.

If you're actually seriously believing even the tiniest part of it, then you are the idiot.

And if that's so, please reach out to any mental health support you have.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Davethulhu posted:

The Hillary Clinton stuff was stolen wholesale from Pizzagate, which was a previously-existing brand of stupid. QAnon, in my opinion, started was a way to explain that Trump, in the face of all evidence, wasn't actually a fat lazy moron.

Don't worry the Epstein thread is also obsessed with Hillary.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Davethulhu posted:

Yeah at its inception, it was "Trump doesn't actually have a congealed mass of Cup Noodles in his head, he only sounds like that because he is speaking to you, his loyal followers, in code because of the DEEP STATE."

Then one too many people said "haha how could this get any dumber" and the universe was like HOLD MY EVERCLEAR FELLAS, WATCH THIS

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Thump! posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the punchline would've been if he hadn't had his ticket punched right then and there.

I think that was it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Earlier today I was driving up I5 thru Pendleton, and there were some guys toodling around just off the highway in some sort of APCs (AAVP I think?) and off to the side was one flipped over on it's lid :v:

Thought of this thread as soon as I saw it. Some guy must have had a lot of fun at his superbowl party the night before. Hopefully the dude up top remembered his rollover drill.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Heard this song and thought of this thread

“Carpetbaggers"

They come to town when the war is over
Dirty boots in the middle of the night
Trolling the bars, hitting on the soldiers
Boys give it up without a fight
They say, "Hey, boy, how about your place?
I know you really want to take me home"
Drop the bags off on the bedroom floor
They make love with the lights on, saying

I'm a carpetbagger, baby
I'm coming to your town
I'm going to treat you kind
I'm going to rob you blind
I'll smile all the time
Whoa yeah, whoa yeah, whoa yeah, whoa yeah

Sally could have had any one of the boys
But she couldn't love no one she could not control
Friend of mine and her got married
I don't hear too much from him anymore
Last I heard, he had a rope 'round his neck
Dragging around the grocery store
Carrying her bags and pushing down the aisles
Saying, "I ain't got no home in this world anymore"

I'm a carpetbagger, baby
I'm coming to your town
I'll smile all the time

They come to town when the party's over
Books been written and truths been tried
They'll take it all if the door's left open
Steal the nose right from under your eyes

I'm a carpetbagger, baby
I'm coming to your town
I'll smile all the time

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fully expect a new baby announcement soon:

https://twitter.com/TomPorterDC/status/1358796879807528960?s=20

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Marines can have a little C4, as a treat

Reminds me of the USAF Security Forces dude who tried to steal an M240 a few years back. OSI found it in his off-base apartment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wild T posted:

Reminds me of the USAF Security Forces dude who tried to steal an M240 a few years back. OSI found it in his off-base apartment.

That was shortly after they had LOST a bunch of Mk-19 Automatic Grenade ammo that fell off on the highway on a Native Reservation when it fell off a Humvee

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
As far as I know they never did find those rounds. The story was they didn't tie them down and were offroading. Hit a big bump and the grenades just went weeee

Still waiting to hear the news that some yokel somewhere managed to find them and somehow jam one in a 37mm flare launcher, killing himself spectacularly.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wild T posted:

Still waiting to hear the news that some yokel somewhere managed to find them and somehow jam one in a 37mm flare launcher, killing himself spectacularly.

50 cal hamburger hand would have competition if they live

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wild T posted:

As far as I know they never did find those rounds. The story was they didn't tie them down and were offroading. Hit a big bump and the grenades just went weeee

We had a machinist that made .50 steel inset for a verys gun. We tested it with a blank in a vice (well, we tied the gun to a tree) and a string to the trigger, pulled from behind a concrete barrier. It worked.

That's it.
We weren't quite stupid enough to try it with a live round.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Caconym posted:

We had a machinist that made .50 steel inset for a verys gun. We tested it with a blank in a vice (well, we tied the gun to a tree) and a string to the trigger, pulled from behind a concrete barrier. It worked.

That's it.
We weren't quite stupid enough to try it with a live round.

The Reddit thread taught me that it's evidently a thing now to try to fire .50 BMG rounds using 12 gauge shotguns. Nope nope nope, I don't want to be anywhere within shrapnel distance of that. That gives me the same kinda squicky unease as hearing about folks shooting .40 S&W out of 10mm semiautos because the extractor holds the shorter round kinda in the vicinity of the chamber.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wild T posted:

The Reddit thread taught me that it's evidently a thing now to try to fire .50 BMG rounds using 12 gauge shotguns. Nope nope nope, I don't want to be anywhere within shrapnel distance of that. That gives me the same kinda squicky unease as hearing about folks shooting .40 S&W out of 10mm semiautos because the extractor holds the shorter round kinda in the vicinity of the chamber.

Deliberately firing OOB

Fuckin' wild. Find a new drug or something lads, I hear krokodil is pretty good and probably has less chance of costing you a limb.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wild T posted:

Oh you mean "The reason i bought the 10mm glock" according to the redditor chud i used to game with back before he became open about his chuddery during 2016

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

didnt someone just retire from there? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I'm willing to bet someone bush monstered it and chucked or buried it instead of having to carry that poo poo back and turn it in. The magazines there always made it suck to do ammo turn in for the howitzers. poo poo, one in 04 we pulled into a pos that hadn't been used in like ten years, go to dig the powder pit and find a shell some rear end in a top hat battery from Lejune bush monstered years before. It's not just 556 and .50 ammo you find out there that someone didn't want to carry anymore.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wild T posted:

*immediately has a seizure*

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Semi related question:
Is there an OSHA like body in the military or is it up to regular command? Because they are OSHA exempt and there are lots of dangerous things in the army

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

big dong wanter posted:

Semi related question:
Is there an OSHA like body in the military or is it up to regular command? Because they are OSHA exempt and there are lots of dangerous things in the army

The Center for Army Lessons Learned, which is hilarious because it explicitly tells on the culture of requiring multiple bodies before learning something instead of preventing bodies

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

big dong wanter posted:

Semi related question:

Yeah, it's called "we all filed for disability when we got out"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Steezo posted:

I'm willing to bet someone bush monstered it and chucked or buried it instead of having to carry that poo poo back and turn it in. The magazines there always made it suck to do ammo turn in for the howitzers. poo poo, one in 04 we pulled into a pos that hadn't been used in like ten years, go to dig the powder pit and find a shell some rear end in a top hat battery from Lejune bush monstered years before. It's not just 556 and .50 ammo you find out there that someone didn't want to carry anymore.

*screams in ammo management*

loving what, dumping unfired he rounds?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wild T posted:

Hah, I remember a thread I think in the r/relationships gbs thread where some dude's brother borrowed his shotgun, fired a .50bmg out of it, and then gave it back. Guy says "you owe me a new shotgun", and brother says he's being a baby about it and it's fine! I'd never trust another round out of that gun

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Well.....don't start any campfires there.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

big dong wanter posted:

Semi related question:

Airforce has AFOSH (Air Force Occupational Health & Safety) but most the time they just essentially put their own cover letter onto the OSHA guidelines and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

MA-Horus posted:

Compared to some of the other stuff you have likely seen/heard about, does that _really_ surprise you?