Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oof I know everything is being gauged at the moment, but I paid $249 for mine the week they came out. Following that link shows me almost double that.

It is a solid turntable that’ll work fine out of the box though, and definitely has enough improvements over the regular 120 to go for the X version.

weird, last night they were available for $299

you can still get one here, I guess:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATLP120XUSB?siid=253534

also looks to be one here, should I pick it up?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120XUSB-BK-Direct-Drive-USB-Turntable-Black-/192984497315

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Go for it, it's a great table and that's a pretty good price on the ebay link.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Don't pay more than the standard $250 for an AT-LP120. I don't know why they're so hard to find right now, but they were readily available at Christmas. That ebay one looks fine.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
actually went to turntable lab and got the bluetooth enabled one for $299. I know you can just get an adapter for $25 extra but if I cared about money I wouldn't have ever started this hobby

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Download code

KAS:ST - Road To Nowhere
flyancerecords.bandcamp.com/yum
dwxe-c23k

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Should check reverb for used turntables. I got a technics 1200 for $500

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tech 1200s on reverb are $1000+ CDN before shipping unfortunately. Seems like buying a 1200 on eBay from Japan is way more feasible and there seems to be a ton of them available.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The fact that old used Prince records retail for 30 bucks and up is absolutely outrageous. New poo poo costing more makes more sense for the aforementioned reasons. But stuff that has hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies floating around? Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

I get the frustration, it's weird seeing copies of Dark Side of the Moon tagged at $25 even though you know it sold more copies than there are humans on Earth, but that is what the market dictates. The guy at my local shop says albums by Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Floyd, Zeppelin, Talking Heads, Prince, etc. - stuff you'd expect to be cheap because there's so much of it out there - sells pretty much as fast as he gets it in. In reality there probably aren't as many copies floating around as you think. Most people's record collections probably got sold off around 2000 or so, that's when the market was *really* flooded, and indeed I was able to pick up a lot of great stuff for cheap back then, though with the caveat that a lot of it was in pretty junked condition. How many Prince records that were sold in 1984 are still playable today? How many were thrown out or got lost or were stored poorly in a moldy basement for 30 years?

since I've been gifted a Magic: the Gathering avatar I'll point out that MTG has the same issue - a lot of old cards are weirdly expensive, even if nobody really wants them, just because there are so few copies in circulation due to this stuff just naturally getting lost or destroyed or exiled to the basement forever

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JAMOOOL posted:

I get the frustration, it's weird seeing copies of Dark Side of the Moon tagged at $25 even though you know it sold more copies than there are humans on Earth, but that is what the market dictates. The guy at my local shop says albums by Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Floyd, Zeppelin, Talking Heads, Prince, etc. - stuff you'd expect to be cheap because there's so much of it out there - sells pretty much as fast as he gets it in. In reality there probably aren't as many copies floating around as you think. Most people's record collections probably got sold off around 2000 or so, that's when the market was *really* flooded, and indeed I was able to pick up a lot of great stuff for cheap back then, though with the caveat that a lot of it was in pretty junked condition. How many Prince records that were sold in 1984 are still playable today? How many were thrown out or got lost or were stored poorly in a moldy basement for 30 years?

It is true that many of these records are in less than ideal condition. Most of my 90's - 2000's finds were beat up copies in the cheap bins. poo poo plays fine with some pops and crackle but they were priced accordingly. Its when you go to a vintage store and see an absolutely shredded version of a Beatles record for $50.

I mean look at this NEW record lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254643475956?mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps

The most that should be charged for that record is $10 and only if the actual vinyl was in great shape.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

Don't pay more than the standard $250 for an AT-LP120. I don't know why they're so hard to find right now, but they were readily available at Christmas. That ebay one looks fine.

The original model is being phased out and replaced by the 120X as far as I know. They've probably stopped production on them altogether. The 120X isn't full of new features or anything it just has a few improvements over the old one. It's the new standard basically. But considering how popular the AT-LP120 has been in general there must be a lot of used ones floating around for decent prices.

JAMOOOL posted:

since I've been gifted a Magic: the Gathering avatar I'll point out that MTG has the same issue - a lot of old cards are weirdly expensive, even if nobody really wants them, just because there are so few copies in circulation due to this stuff just naturally getting lost or destroyed or exiled to the basement forever

Oh I'm aware but these things still sold a loooooot of copies and went through numerous pressings. I understand they're never going to stop being popular but that's still way too high.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
The days of people just dumping their old record collections because they don't think they have value are never coming back unfortunately. I actually got started with records bc i found a box of decent quality beatles and beach boys LPs just on the side of the street with a big "FREE" sign like 12 years ago and i dont think people do that anymore.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Confession time:

When I was a teen in the mid-90s, my parents tasked me with getting rid of their record collection. Nothing exceptional but had the boomer-standard beatles, rolling stones, etc. and a bunch of good classical from the 70s/early 80s.

Instead of thinking "cool, records" or even just putting them on the curb with a "free" sign, my friend and I spent a bored afternoon smashing them in various ways.

I have to imagine those are not the only records to meet a similar ignominious end.

We're responsible for records that sold millions of copies being $25 now. Sorry, we didn't know what we were doing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like seeing dudes on Craigslist selling a stack of records for like $120 that’s one recognizable pop record on top and then 25 Salvation Army grab bag records underneath.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

I like seeing dudes on Craigslist selling a stack of records for like $120 that’s one recognizable pop record on top and then 25 Salvation Army grab bag records underneath.

So the VNYL business model?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sometimes you gotta sell your records to rebuild your entire listening setup, right now just happens to be a boon for such an activity.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I guess overall I'm just tried of everything being a racket. It's not just records. Before the pandemic I use to go to a thrift store to look around for books and records (never expecting much, of course in terms of records) and a thing I was seeing a lot of was people who have some kind of app that reads barcodes on books to see if they're worth money and then they just pile those into a shopping cart. So I'm sure given another year or two these jerkoffs are going to make used books expensive. Books, you literally cannot even give away books. And the prices of everything in that store keeps going up. Them asking four bucks for a Lawrence Welk album with no cover is one thing. In the grand scheme not a big deal. But poor people getting price gouged on used jeans is loving horrible.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

CPL593H posted:

I guess overall I'm just tried of everything being a racket. It's not just records. Before the pandemic I use to go to a thrift store to look around for books and records (never expecting much, of course in terms of records) and a thing I was seeing a lot of was people who have some kind of app that reads barcodes on books to see if they're worth money and then they just pile those into a shopping cart. So I'm sure given another year or two these jerkoffs are going to make used books expensive. Books, you literally cannot even give away books. And the prices of everything in that store keeps going up. Them asking four bucks for a Lawrence Welk album with no cover is one thing. In the grand scheme not a big deal. But poor people getting price gouged on used jeans is loving horrible.

I also really dislike these people. They're scanning to see the lowest ebay price and if they can beat it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a paperback novel by Gary gygax that’s worth some dumb amount of money for a paperback fantasy novel. A bad one, too. I used to have the whole series, don’t know what happened to it. That’s worth big bucks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Number 2.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Number 3?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Number 4!.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 11, 2021

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

BigFactory posted:

I have a paperback novel by Gary gygax that’s worth some dumb amount of money for a paperback fantasy novel. A bad one, too. I used to have the whole series, don’t know what happened to it. That’s worth big bucks.

do you have 4 copies

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I also really dislike these people. They're scanning to see the lowest ebay price and if they can beat it.

Used books should cost no more than one or two bucks and now I'm seeing a lot of poo poo that goes for more than a new copy. Though in fairness I really ought to start getting poo poo from the library instead of having more poo poo piled up.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Number 5!!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Holy crap

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

The smartphone thing is the only new part, you used to have to be knowledgable enough to realize what would sell on eBay. That, and you're much less likely to find anything because someone that comes there every day probably swept through there at 9:02am and bought anything with resale value.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

The smartphone thing is the only new part, you used to have to be knowledgable enough to realize what would sell on eBay. That, and you're much less likely to find anything because someone that comes there every day probably swept through there at 9:02am and bought anything with resale value.

The thing about the place I go to is that they don't put any given thing out on a specific day or at a specific day. It just goes out whenever. So it's very much luck of the draw. You could go there in the morning and back again in the late afternoon and there might be new poo poo out. It's a chains store called Savers. I think they might be regional and I know in some places it's called Value Village. Small locally owned thrift stores around here have been dropping like flies in the last few years.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

The thing about the place I go to is that they don't put any given thing out on a specific day or at a specific day. It just goes out whenever. So it's very much luck of the draw. You could go there in the morning and back again in the late afternoon and there might be new poo poo out. It's a chains store called Savers. I think they might be regional and I know in some places it's called Value Village. Small locally owned thrift stores around here have been dropping like flies in the last few years.

I used to thrift for games and computer stuff and in the late 90s there was almost always something neat on sale for a few dollars at most. Now there's nothing. One of three things is usually happening: Either someone who thrifts for a living got there first, the store put it behind glass for the same price as eBay, or the store never put it out at all and just went straight to selling it on eBay/Amazon.

It happens in some pretty obscure markets too, my wife collects these little $1.00 paperbacks for young adults from the early 90s that you would assume would be pitched in the garbage by most people and eventually local sources dried up and she figured out the stores were putting them on Amazon for like $5-30 each.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I used to thrift for games and computer stuff and in the late 90s there was almost always something neat on sale for a few dollars at most. Now there's nothing. One of three things is usually happening: Either someone who thrifts for a living got there first, the store put it behind glass for the same price as eBay, or the store never put it out at all and just went straight to selling it on eBay/Amazon.

It happens in some pretty obscure markets too, my wife collects these little $1.00 paperbacks for young adults from the early 90s that you would assume would be pitched in the garbage by most people and eventually local sources dried up and she figured out the stores were putting them on Amazon for like $5-30 each.

This is what I mean. Everything is a racket now and thrift stores trying to get in on the game is really lovely considering that the clientele is largely poor people.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm kinda hoping that Ebay's shift to their managed payments program and requiring a ssn and checking account from sellers kills some of the fly by night and opprotunistic flippers/scalpers. The sellers that aren't screeching about their privacy are mad about potentially losing their tax dodge income (google pulls up a lot of angry message board posts to that effect). Hopefully these changes mean it's not worth it for the flippers to keep clearing out the thrift store of anything worth more than $2. Dunno if it's just confirmation bias but it seems like there's less variety in the video game listings on Ebay and a lot less lovely game boy game lots since the new policy kicked in January. Or they could all just flee to Facebook marketplace.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Those guys scanning books have been around for a years. Used to see the same dude at Goodwill all the time. We have a library thrift store that banned the scanners.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm kinda hoping that Ebay's shift to their managed payments program and requiring a ssn and checking account from sellers kills some of the fly by night and opprotunistic flippers/scalpers. The sellers that aren't screeching about their privacy are mad about potentially losing their tax dodge income (google pulls up a lot of angry message board posts to that effect). Hopefully these changes mean it's not worth it for the flippers to keep clearing out the thrift store of anything worth more than $2. Dunno if it's just confirmation bias but it seems like there's less variety in the video game listings on Ebay and a lot less lovely game boy game lots since the new policy kicked in January. Or they could all just flee to Facebook marketplace.

Is that independent of Paypal because I just got some kind of tax thing from them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Is that independent of Paypal because I just got some kind of tax thing from them.

Yeah I think ebay is reporting income to the IRS now. Its kinda confusing but I think if you sell under $20grand a year you aren't liable for taxes. I sold almost a thousand dollars worth of stuff but the total "profit" would be $100 so hopefully that is the case.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Yeah I think ebay is reporting income to the IRS now. Its kinda confusing but I think if you sell under $20grand a year you aren't liable for taxes. I sold almost a thousand dollars worth of stuff but the total "profit" would be $100 so hopefully that is the case.

Weird. My overall income isn't high enough to be taxed anyway but I was wondering incase I need to update my poo poo. I thought ebay already had that information. And for what it's worth I don't really sell poo poo on there often.

Also, I just remembered that today I went to look at the records at Savers and they were selling a busted up tape recorder for 20 bucks. Just a run of the mill cassette recorder from the 70s or 80s. And it was broken. And a lovely typewriter for 100.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh Facebook is riddled with people fleecing goodwill goods at a 100% markup. It’s wild but also the flip side is a lot of the “rich people” (my mom uses FB marketplace both as a seller and buyer) as my mom says will put up whole couches, cooking equipment, dining sets and art work up for free just to get it out of the house. She recently redid her entire living room with the majority of furniture being free, barely used things. Hell she snagged a new stand mixer for $20 because the lady who sold it said “my husband got me the wrong color and I didn’t want to go through returning it”.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

tinaun posted:

The days of people just dumping their old record collections because they don't think they have value are never coming back unfortunately. I actually got started with records bc i found a box of decent quality beatles and beach boys LPs just on the side of the street with a big "FREE" sign like 12 years ago and i dont think people do that anymore.

CDs are here right now though. I collect old pressings, Japan for US, West Germany Target CDs, etc and now is good times. Although I have started to see more guys digging through them at the thrift stores.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Weird. My overall income isn't high enough to be taxed anyway but I was wondering incase I need to update my poo poo. I thought ebay already had that information. And for what it's worth I don't really sell poo poo on there often.

Also, I just remembered that today I went to look at the records at Savers and they were selling a busted up tape recorder for 20 bucks. Just a run of the mill cassette recorder from the 70s or 80s. And it was broken. And a lovely typewriter for 100.

Some of it is that pricing is up to individual managers so it’s always all over the place.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
where is that video of the physical VNYL store that was like, 2 crates on a little table in a giant room?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Oh Facebook is riddled with people fleecing goodwill goods at a 100% markup. It’s wild but also the flip side is a lot of the “rich people” (my mom uses FB marketplace both as a seller and buyer) as my mom says will put up whole couches, cooking equipment, dining sets and art work up for free just to get it out of the house. She recently redid her entire living room with the majority of furniture being free, barely used things. Hell she snagged a new stand mixer for $20 because the lady who sold it said “my husband got me the wrong color and I didn’t want to go through returning it”.

Are you talking about a Kitchen Aid mixer? Because those things cost about 400 bucks. Your mom sounds crazy good at deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The numbers I've seen bandied about for Ebay is that they'll send you a 1099 if you make over 200 transactions and over 20k in sales dollars in a year. The reason there's so much squawking is that now EVERYONE wanting to sell on Ebay has to provide the tax info to do so, not just big time sellers and business accounts and the hard deadline for signup just passed.