Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

What are some of your favorite recipes for getting rid of a lot of starter? I know I've seen some pizza dough recipes that are primarily starter. Anything else? I've got a few cups of it to go through to get it back down to a more manageable size.

King Arthur’s sourdough pancakes or waffles are A+, my family just made the pancakes this morning. Their crackers are good enough that half the batch reliably disappears from the cooling rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
happy with this pullman iteration

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I am literally making the bread again right now. I added all the ingredients into the bowl and mixed it on 2 for 10 minutes, then let it rest for 15 minutes, then turned it back on at 2 for 10 minutes now.

This is what it looks like after all this time. What’s wrong with my dough/machine? Other than the bit on the hook, the majority of it is still stuck onto the bottom of the bowl.

I had this problem when I first started using my KitchenAid for somewhat high hydration sourdough bread. The Kitchenaid is not great at picking/scraping dough from the bottom if you have small amounts and/or there's little gluten development yet (more gluten help pull the dough away from the sides/bottom). The solution for me was to always start with an autolyse: mixing the flour and whatever your fluid is together (just by stirring vigorously) and then letting it sit for about an hour.

Edit: oh I also mix it in in the KitchenAid two stages: first like 1-2 minutes on 1, then 1-2 minutes on 2. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then again. This is like a mini-autolyse and really helps the dough pull together.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mediaphage posted:

happy with this pullman iteration

:trumppop:

No sinking in the middle, nice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

:trumppop:

No sinking in the middle, nice.

i have a suspicion that that is often caused by overproofing to fill the pan when not enough dough is used, then as it cools the air inside deflates a bit, combined with occasional just under baking loaves.

relatedly i always use an instant read thermometer to check loaves these days as i’ve been burned in the past by bread that totally looked and sounded done.

fwiw that’s a 13-inch pan and i used quite a bit more dough than i often see called for. 800g flour, 67% hydration, 3% salt, plus a knob of butter, an egg, and around 60g of buttermilk powder.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mediaphage posted:

i have a suspicion that that is often caused by overproofing to fill the pan when not enough dough is used, then as it cools the air inside deflates a bit, combined with occasional just under baking loaves.

relatedly i always use an instant read thermometer to check loaves these days as i’ve been burned in the past by bread that totally looked and sounded done.

fwiw that’s a 13-inch pan and i used quite a bit more dough than i often see called for. 800g flour, 67% hydration, 3% salt, plus a knob of butter, an egg, and around 60g of buttermilk powder.

Essentially, that's one extra cup of flour than the KA recipie calls for. I'll give that a shot next time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Murgos posted:

Essentially, that's one extra cup of flour than the KA recipie calls for. I'll give that a shot next time.

in fairness, you can see that this is a relatively tight crumb, and it's pretty soft but not pillowy. i can imagine that you could get away with a little less flour and a little more proofing, but i haven't tried it that way yet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Can you accidentally destroy those Pullman pans if you put too much dough in? I don’t really know how tough they are but I always imagine them just bulging out or something.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Can you accidentally destroy those Pullman pans if you put too much dough in? I don’t really know how tough they are but I always imagine them just bulging out or something.

That would be the incredible hulk of doughs to get a pullman to flex.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We apparently all jumped on the Pullman train this week. My first KA loaf did the same as everyone else's (slightly flat on top, sloped shoulders).

Based off MP's numbers I'm going to give this a go tomorrow morning.

800 g flour
24 g salt
60 g buttermilk powder
2 T sugar

250 g milk
285 g warm water
6 T butter

2.5 t yeast proofed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fwiw you probably don’t need to use milk if you’re using milk powder. not that you can’t of course!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How do pullmans compare in taste to those no-knead overnight-in-the-fridge breads?

Anyway about my sourdough starter: I started it last sunday so it's been 9 days, but, I forgot to feed it at 10pm last night and fed it just now at 2pm today. It was all runny and didn't have much elasticity (I suppose that means the flour was all gone, so no gluten?) I put in 50g water, 50g starter, 50g flour, and put a dried prune into it. It hasn't been bubbling much or rising much the last few days at all, I suppose I should test it tomorrow to see if it floats or whatever. I'm not sure if I killed it by not feeding it, but probably not from what I can gather from previous posts.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pullman is just the type of pan with the lid that slides on to make square bread.
You can use any recipe in the pan but if you make what would normally be a crusty sourdough loaf in a Pullman it would come out with a softer crust just due to the fact that being surrounded by metal on all sides affects how it bakes.
You can pop it out of the pan once it's baked and put it bake in without the pan to crisp up the outside. It still wouldn't be the same as a boule.

Most people make an enriched sandwich type loaf in them like a brioche or pan de mie.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

redreader posted:

How do pullmans compare in taste to those no-knead overnight-in-the-fridge breads?

Different and also delicious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Pullman is just the type of pan with the lid that slides on to make square bread.
You can use any recipe in the pan but if you make what would normally be a crusty sourdough loaf in a Pullman it would come out with a softer crust just due to the fact that being surrounded by metal on all sides affects how it bakes.
You can pop it out of the pan once it's baked and put it bake in without the pan to crisp up the outside. It still wouldn't be the same as a boule.

Most people make an enriched sandwich type loaf in them like a brioche or pan de mie.

yeah, this. i made a lean sourdough in it the other day, though, and i will definitely be doing that more in the future as it was pretty great and the form factor is hard to beat. for what it's worth, the crust was thin, but definitely crispy even without popping it back in the oven (i did finish it with the lid off, however).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

redreader posted:

Anyway about my sourdough starter: I started it last sunday so it's been 9 days, but, I forgot to feed it at 10pm last night and fed it just now at 2pm today. It was all runny and didn't have much elasticity (I suppose that means the flour was all gone, so no gluten?) I put in 50g water, 50g starter, 50g flour, and put a dried prune into it. It hasn't been bubbling much or rising much the last few days at all, I suppose I should test it tomorrow to see if it floats or whatever. I'm not sure if I killed it by not feeding it, but probably not from what I can gather from previous posts.

You definitely didn't kill it. Starters tend to get soupy when the yeasties have eaten all the food. It'll be fine. Might still be a few days yet before it's usable.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Forgot to feed my starter last night and this morning it smelled like hooch. This is fine, I fed it right away and now I will continue feeding in the mornings instead of evening making it more likely I will use the discard.
The rise is still underwhelming tho, not sure what is up with that. Doing the 50gr starter, 50gr WF, 50gr water daily for a few days, maybe it is too much of a slurry and all the gas escapes? The immediate alcohol makes me think the yeast is performing well enough and when I poured out the starter in another cup to be able to measure it, it smelled nice and sour. Should I just try a bread with it?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't feed my starter nearly as much as folk seem to do. I keep it in the fridge and feed it the night before I make the levian. Maybe I need to be feeding it more?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I don't feed my starter nearly as much as folk seem to do. I keep it in the fridge and feed it the night before I make the levian. Maybe I need to be feeding it more?

Same.

It keeps fine in the fridge for up to a week.

Night before I take it out, give it 150g flour and 150g water. Next morning I take 250g of that which goes into the dough, and then I save the rest in an air tight container in the fridge for next time. Rinse, repeat.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bolind posted:

Same.

Night before I take it out, give it 150g flour and 150g water. Next morning I take 250g of that which goes into the dough, and then I save the rest in an air tight container in the fridge for next time. Rinse, repeat.

My process is. Take it out the fridge night before , make up a new jar with 150g starter, 150g flour and 150g water. In the morning make a levain and pancakes with the discard for breakfast. New starter back in the fridge till next week.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

bolind posted:

Same.

You leave it out after feeding, I take it?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I refresh with 15g starter 50g flour 50g water, you don't need to take over so many old dead yeast and lactic acid bacteria. At least I heard that makes it more potent.

Edit: Oh and I use whole grain flour for refreshing, maybe that makes it also more potent? My starter rises crazy fast

Malefitz fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 10, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

You leave it out after feeding, I take it?

Yup, left at room temp.

Based on the high water mark, I think overnight is a little much, 6-7 hours would be ideal, but it fits my schedule better than if I start when I wake up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

unless you’re baking loaves every day there’s really no need to. there’s a lot of myth around sourdough and consequently a ton of waste.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bolind posted:

Same.

I’ve been doing up to a month between feedings with it stored in the fridge.

I take it out and let it come to room temp, feed it, let it grow until bubbly (~4ish hours) put some water over it and back in the fridge in an air tight container. If I’m going to use it then after it gets bubbly I feed it again to the size I want + extra. Once that’s bubbly I put some in the fridge and use the rest.

It seems fine with this routine.

Also I do 66g starter + 66g water + 66 g flour for feedings.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I leave my starter on the counter, I use it to bake bread 2-3x a month right now, and I feed it maybe 1x a week unless I know I want to bake, then I feed it three days in a row and bake on the third day. By the third day the levain doubles in about 4 hours and the bread has incredible rise and crumb. Sometimes I go longer without feeding it and it always rebounds. Ymmv on this depending on climate, I’m in the northeast.

Mediaphage is correct that people go wild with feedings and produce a lot of waste. I could probably be more efficient by putting it in the refrigerator but I would 100% lose track of it in there and let it die. I guess my point is you don’t need to feed it every day unless you are baking every day.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Re: the earlier question about what happens if you overfill a Pullman pan:

Bread still square, though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Huxley posted:

Re: the earlier question about what happens if you overfill a Pullman pan:

Bread still square, though.

Tell us about those bread ribbons. They look incredibly tasty.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

Tell us about those bread ribbons. They look incredibly tasty.

They made it a LOT easier to wait until breakfast this morning to cut into the loaf, for sure.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I normally do the starter in the fridge and feed twice before making dough cycle. This last bake I split off and did a small daily feed on the counter for a week and got a really strong bubbly boy going.

The resulting bread was essentially the same as loaves made with the fridge starter, which leads me to believe I need to focus more on bulk fermentation and stop under fermenting. It’ll really take a day of making double the dough and doing some tests at different fermentation lengths.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think some of us are starting our sourdough starters and most of you have existing sourdough starters that you're already using.

I think Keetron's starter is fairly new, checking back on their posts it's from the last day of January.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the ratio was 2:1:1, as in if I kept 40g of starter then I’d mix in 20g of flour and 20g of water. But you’re all saying it’s 1:1:1? I guess it doesn’t actually matter at all but that might explain why my bread flour and AP flour starters (both started from my whole wheat starter) are so slow cause I’m not feeding them enough.

And this might be philosophical but say my mother starter was 30 days old, and then I take some of that to create a new starter with a different flour. Is that new starter also 30 days old or is it 0 days old since it’s the same yeast… similarly I often think about how old my monstera plant is. I’ve had it for a couple of years, but that thing came from a cutting that came from and older plant. It’s probably like hundreds of years old.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 10, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought the ratio was 2:1:1, as in if I kept 40g of starter then I’d mix in 20g of flour and 20g of water. But you’re all saying it’s 1:1:1? I guess it doesn’t actually matter at all but that might explain why my bread flour and AP flour starters (both started from my whole wheat starter) are so slow cause I’m not feeding them enough.

I'd say 1:1:1 at LEAST. I just eyeball it these days, but I'm usually doing like 4:4:1. Gotta give the yeasties room to run.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

And this might be philosophical but say my mother starter was 30 days old, and then I take some of that to create a new starter with a different flour. Is that new starter also 30 days old or is it 0 days old since it’s the same yeast… similarly I often think about how old my monstera plant is. I’ve had it for a couple of years, but that thing came from a cutting that came from and older plant. It’s probably like hundreds of years old.

New starter from old starter is as old as old starter.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Is American (?) literature on sourdough really that much different?
I just checked the blog I would consider the German go-to resource for well researched and tested information about sourdough and bread baking in general and their recommendation is once a week 5-10g starter, 50g flour and 50g water. The older the starter the less should be used to prevent bad smells and too much old yeast holding the starter back.
I have never seen any resource recommending more than 15g starter to 50g flour and 50g water. I use 10-15g and it's definitely enough for a perfect rise.

I mean you guys can do whatever you want, I don't think it will matter that much in the end.
I'm just surprised that you seem to have totally different recommendations over there :confused:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Malefitz posted:

Is American (?) literature on sourdough really that much different?
I just checked the blog I would consider the German go-to resource for well researched and tested information about sourdough and bread baking in general and their recommendation is once a week 5-10g starter, 50g flour and 50g water. The older the starter the less should be used to prevent bad smells and too much old yeast holding the starter back.
I have never seen any resource recommending more than 15g starter to 50g flour and 50g water. I use 10-15g and it's definitely enough for a perfect rise.

I mean you guys can do whatever you want, I don't think it will matter that much in the end.
I'm just surprised that you seem to have totally different recommendations over there :confused:

The actual amount doesn’t matter. You can make a starter with 5g flour and 5g water. You can always add more mass to it to get it to grow to the amount you need.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Everyone has a food blog these days so there's gonna be a million different recommendations on sourdough. Especially since pretty much every sourdough book I've seen has a different take on starter storage/feeding.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I want to get a pullman pan from King Arthur. So I want to know which size to get, there's the 9" and the 13".

I have a family of 4 and we generally bake and eat half of the 7.5 cup no-knead recipe in a day. So probably the 13" is the way to go? Is that the standard size that most recipes are for?

edit to add: I am having a hell of a time scoring my bread. the bread ends up stuck to the knife (I tried oiling it) and bumping out from where it sticks, rather than having any kind of 'score' in it i.e. I 'unscore' it. It's like it's laughing at me.

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 10, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

redreader posted:

I want to get a pullman pan from King Arthur. So I want to know which size to get, there's the 9" and the 13".

I have a family of 4 and we generally bake and eat half of the 7.5 cup no-knead recipe in a day. So probably the 13" is the way to go? Is that the standard size that most recipes are for?

edit to add: I am having a hell of a time scoring my bread. the bread ends up stuck to the knife (I tried oiling it) and bumping out from where it sticks, rather than having any kind of 'score' in it i.e. I 'unscore' it. It's like it's laughing at me.

There's plenty of 9" and 13" pullman recipes on the internet. A 13" loaf is gonna get you somewhere around 1200 grams. How fast would your family go through a generic supermarket presliced loaf? Cuz that's about the size you'd get with a 13" pan.

If you're having issues like that w/ scoring, you might need to check how you're shaping your loaf. It sounds like you might not be tightening the dough enough when shaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The pan/loaf I posted above is a 13. The four of us eat a loaf that size in 2-3 days, generally.

My no-knead is way too sticky to score, as well. My solution is, I get a pair of poultry shears open wide, lower down over where I want to score, and just snip fast and lift a bit. That usually is good for a half or three-quarter inch slash. Tough to get artistic that way, but it beats every other thing I've tried.