Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Salivating over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Zaodai posted:

I don't know if it's groggy enough to qualify for this thread, since it's not economic and grand strategy in scale but I figure if Combat Mission and stuff counts it might interest some of you. This just recently went up on steam as a TBA and frankly looks pretty cool to me as tactical space combat stuff goes:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

:hmmyes: Looks like a lot of potential here. Kind of reminds me of Flotilla maybe?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Watching hard, although it's triggering my 'but is it remotely playable?' instinct.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, that looks pretty great

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alchenar posted:

Watching hard, although it's triggering my 'but is it remotely playable?' instinct.

I'm with you there, but at least it doesn't sound like its promising anything that people couldn't make playable if properly designed. Makes it the same as any other grog game in that regard. "That sounds awesome, let's see how they gently caress it up." :v:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Finally someone is making my dream game so I don't have to.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Surprised you all seem excited for that when this is on the way:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

Seems similar, but with economy and pretty.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Zaodai posted:

I don't know if it's groggy enough to qualify for this thread, since it's not economic and grand strategy in scale but I figure if Combat Mission and stuff counts it might interest some of you. This just recently went up on steam as a TBA and frankly looks pretty cool to me as tactical space combat stuff goes:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

If you pledge US$10 a month on the creators patreon you get a pre-alpha key.
Will give a trip report after a bit of playing.

Edit: So quick first impressions after playing the first few tutorials. The came plays much like Homeworld, you move your ships through 3d space with mouse clicks, using left control to change trajectory above/below the the plane. you create and command fleets, but can only control one ship at a time, so using formations is important. Ships will often have different loadout, meaning you have to understand how different varants of weapons/systems work in specific situations and learn how to synergize your fleet's abilities as situations change. While thing look like a standard Homeworld style RTS, the actual gameplay focuses more on subtle tactics, building a fleet without knowing beforehand what you will be up against, scouting to gather intelligence and then formulating a plan with what you have.

I haven't yet gone beyond the tutorials, so I can't yet judge how the battles play out, but from what I've seen from other people talking on Discord, if it's not truly grognard, it's at least grognard adjacent.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 7, 2021

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, this one looks great.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

An important difference between this and Nebulous, is that Falling Frontier plays entirely in a 2d plane, while Nebulous is 3d. Also, the economy and pretty.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

An important difference between this and Nebulous, is that Falling Frontier plays entirely in a 2d plane, while Nebulous is 3d. Also, the economy and pretty.

Anyone doing orbital mechanics, or is Children of a Dead Earth still the only game in town for that?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

No orbital mechanics. Like I said, at least grognard adjacent.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that Gravyteam: Mius Front has a couple Angola expansions. Are there any other interesting DLCs there I might have overlooked?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

I just noticed that Gravyteam: Mius Front has a couple Angola expansions. Are there any other interesting DLCs there I might have overlooked?

Tielieketi Incident DLC is a Khazakhstan border clash between the USSR and China in 1969.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Tielieketi Incident DLC is a Khazakhstan border clash between the USSR and China in 1969.

Exactly the type thing I don't want to overlook. Thanks!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I beg to differ lol

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Just tried war on the sea and it suuuuuuuucks

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Abongination posted:

Just tried war on the sea and it suuuuuuuucks

its mediocre tbh

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Phi230 posted:

its mediocre tbh

This is pretty much where I'm at right now. Hope it polishes up a bit as time goes on. Still not the *worst* $40 I've ever spent.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its all we've got until TFA and Sea Power

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sea Power please be good, I loved Cold Waters and I'm hoping the team that made it is able to put out something just as good.

I have hopes for War at Sea but it needs polishing and a thorough redo of the UI and some of the game systems. Submarines seem incredibly OP right now.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Gewehr 43 posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at right now. Hope it polishes up a bit as time goes on. Still not the *worst* $40 I've ever spent.

I mean you did play the “Fleet” games, right? What did you expect?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean you did play the “Fleet” games, right? What did you expect?

Atlantic Fleet, yes.

I had no expectations as I hadn't heard of it until ~24hrs before I bought it. When shells are flying fast and furious, it's entertaining. Clean up some bugs, add some better visual damage models, and give it a few QoL UI enhancements, and it'll be a fun little real time naval sandbox. As it stands, my son thinks it's a riot, so the smile on his face is worth it alone.

Maybe I missed the memo here, but am I supposed to apologize for not hopping on the hate train for this?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it true that aircraft carriers can't launch aircraft, as one Steam reviewer claims?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

Is it true that aircraft carriers can't launch aircraft, as one Steam reviewer claims?

Not during a battle, you have to launch them before hand and they start in the air. Carriers are a bit of a mess right now, there's a cool down of 3 hours between launches and you can't send up mixed groups of fighters/bombers.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Once again I sigh, wanting for coop in grog games. I really like some grog games, and my wife likes lot of em. We don't agree on all that we like, but we'd definitely cross-play games if we could simply coop them. Her insistence on CMANO would be a heck of a lot better if we could share in mutual effort and fight some AI.

Same thought comes up when I see War on the Sea, or Cold Waters, and poo poo like that. Yet, even PvP is even a far fetch, and coop especially is mostly forgotten. Sigh.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Once again I sigh, wanting for coop in grog games. I really like some grog games, and my wife likes lot of em. We don't agree on all that we like, but we'd definitely cross-play games if we could simply coop them. Her insistence on CMANO would be a heck of a lot better if we could share in mutual effort and fight some AI.

Same thought comes up when I see War on the Sea, or Cold Waters, and poo poo like that. Yet, even PvP is even a far fetch, and coop especially is mostly forgotten. Sigh.

I hear ya. I'd love to do more coop games with my wife. I almost had her convinced to be my RIO in the DCS F-14, but she balked when she saw the size of the manual.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The only co-op game I can really think of is DC:WtP. Are there more?

Besides things like "sharing a save in WitP, thus making it co-op sorta kinda"

Edit: lol, Spouse A playing IJN and Spouse B playing IJA is a recipe for the perfect long-lasting marriage, I'm sure

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 11, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

I hear ya. I'd love to do more coop games with my wife. I almost had her convinced to be my RIO in the DCS F-14, but she balked when she saw the size of the manual.

Hilariously I am just talking about this elsewhere. My wife's girlfriend (yeah it's complicated) wanted to RIO in the Tomcat and that was like a year ago, from "airplen go up" level of understanding to the current setup of a warthog and pedals and charts. It was pretty rewarding to teach but also hard to figure out what info is pertinent from the get go, and how to slowly walk someone into it. Most airplane nerds usually have some sort of understanding of the concepts.

Coop, and especially multicrew of the F-14 in DCS made this easier. I don't luckily have to convince my wife to grog because she is a loving huge nerd who is a serial hex offender. I guess I would even WitP with her if it would have decent coop. However, getting new blood in from the outside is really difficult without solid coop options. I doubt my RIO would have ever taken the plunge without a multicrew plane.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 11, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Play Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 in my eventual alt-world campaign and they can be the gunner on your plane. No manual required, unless they want to be a bombardier.

Or learn to play Advanced Squad Leader.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Or learn to play Advanced Squad Leader.

my wife actually did do this for/with me

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If only my husband would grog. :( Even Paradox games are a hard sell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

drat, thats awesome.

Great way to do campaign games.

Drone posted:

Even Crusader Kings 2 or 3?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
CK sounds like the one game which is a really bad idea to play with close family.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jobbo_Fett posted:

drat, thats awesome.

Great way to do campaign games.

Even Crusader Kings 2 or 3?

Stellaris is the only one that I was able to convince him to play. :(

My dream is to hugbox-conquer the world in EU4 as France and England but alas

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Grog-adjacent flight sim recruitmentThread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Since DCS has made their modules free to play through this weekend, now is a great time for anyone on the fence to get a taste of what DCS, and flight simming is all about!

Who the gently caress are Airgoons?

We are a chill group of goon flight sim nerds who organize multiplayer missions each weekend and create content for DCS, IL2, and other flight sims to collectively enjoy. We primarily fly DCS missions each Saturday at 20:00UTC, with smaller missions Sunday at 20:00UTC.

Okay, but what is DCS?

DCS is a military flight sim that features some of the most realistic depictions of real fighter aircraft ever to be found on the consumer market. If you ever wanted to get a taste of how real military pilots do their thing, this will get you there. Or you can be like most goons and find new and clever ways to break your aircraft without dying in a multi-million dollar fireball.

This sounds hard.

There is a learning curve, but learning how to fly with and from goons is a big part of what makes DCS and flying with Airgoons fun. Even our most experienced goon pilots have rather silly incidents on occasion.
https://i.imgur.com/SZAAf9O.mp4
The only requirement for joining our missions is that you have your controls set up beforehand and know how to take off.

So what is happening this weekend?

Thanks to the Lunar New Year, there is a big sale going on with a free trial available for all aircraft, so if there is anything you want to toy with, download DCS, join Airgoons discord and we can help you learn the ropes.

On Saturday 20:00UTC, we are running a mission featuring the F-14 Tomcat, F-16 Viper, F/A-18 Hornet, and AV-8B Harrier, which will be great for learning how to fly, bomb a large runway, and maybe shoot down a hostile plane or two.
On Sunday 20:00UTC, we are running a mission featuring the P-47 Thunderbolt, P-51 Mustang, Spitfire, and I-16 to try out all the WWII content DCS has been adding lately. This will feature shooting literal Nazis, both in the air and on the ground.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 11, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't convince my wife to play Agricola more than once a year, let alone loving ASL.

Drone posted:

Yeah. :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Stellaris is the only one that I was able to convince him to play. :(

My dream is to hugbox-conquer the world in EU4 as France and England but alas

But... but you CAN do that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But... but you CAN do that.

Yes but not with my husband who won't play EU4, I think was kinda the point.

How many of you all play in VR? That would be a big part of the draw for me personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Yes but not with my husband who won't play EU4, I think was kinda the point.

How many of you all play in VR? That would be a big part of the draw for me personally.

What a dork, tell him I called them a dork.