Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

mulligan posted:

Why are you fighting that giant axe welding bandit? You're a horse! No! Each one of you is a 1000! I don't wanna buy another one!

Skeleton Horse, from Dawnguard, is the best horse. It died or wandered off? No problem just resummon it however often you feel like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

chaosapiant posted:

Only if you want to mix and match armor for aesthetic reasons.

Ok good to know also

I killed the dark brotherhood guy outside the first cave next to seyda neen and flipped his gear to the vendor who immediately wore it making it non buy backable and making him look like some kind of steampunk gimp.

Also finding a locked trapped chest with nothing in it god this game.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Necronormiecon posted:

The Imperials had a giant spaceship manned and operated by sorcerers that had star gates to various Oblivion realms. They are not anti-magic.

It's not a space ship, its a magical construct, and I will literally risk dying in a duel with you over this semantic

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh, speaking of smithing, is it necessary to invest in it to make light armor good for heavy combat? I'm currently working on a RP build for an Argonian monster hunter who's all about blitzing around with light armor and poisons and silver and poo poo. A Witcher I guess. I've done basically only heavy armor builds in the past when I wasn't doing Thives/Dark Brotherhood stuff so I don't know how well it holds up to getting into the thick of it without heavy smithing.

Though given that Witchers take care of their own equipment I guess I should be learning how to smith anyway.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You'll never be able to "blitz around" in a bethesda game, unfortunately.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

You'll never be able to "blitz around" in a bethesda game, unfortunately.

I basically just mean circle strafe around Lydia to lose some heat and occasionally pelt them with arrows really. My normal playstyle is "get big armor, slam big hammer, chug potions".

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok good to know also

I killed the dark brotherhood guy outside the first cave next to seyda neen and flipped his gear to the vendor who immediately wore it making it non buy backable and making him look like some kind of steampunk gimp.

You’ll get more dark brotherhood gear real soon. Don’t worry.

I ended up wearing it from like the start of the game all the way to the expansions when I finally got better armor.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Flytrap posted:

I basically just mean circle strafe around Lydia to lose some heat and occasionally pelt them with arrows really. My normal playstyle is "get big armor, slam big hammer, chug potions".

How do you keep up with the potion demands? I'm running a mod that gives me 1-6 ingredients randomly per pick and at level 34 I go through a ton of potions, even with stacked various resists. My Heavy Armor is at something like 93 and I still lose health so drat fast to dragons and some of the tougher enemies.

In general the enemy balance is weird. I just killed a Bandit(regular named) that took four power attacks to the face and then I fought a chieftan who died in one hit, cut straight to finisher animation. I don't get it man!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I have thousands of excess ingredients stashed in my house. Basically every dungeon comes jam packed with good alchemy stuff but you gotta keep your eyes out at dinner tables, mushrooms in the corner of rooms, at the bottom of some baskets.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok good to know also

Sell him an amulet with constant effect drain health and you'll get your stuff back.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

grate deceiver posted:

Sell him an amulet with constant effect drain health and you'll get your stuff back.

I loving love morrowind

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

*damage health. Drain health only applies damage once each time when you equip it, damage health is constant effect. You use drain effects to artificially lower your skills for infinite leveling with easy recovery and damage effects for NPC murders. :science:

I remember this despite not touching Morrowind for almost 15 years, send help.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

*damage health. Drain health only applies damage once each time when you equip it, damage health is constant effect. You use drain effects to artificially lower your skills for infinite leveling with easy recovery and damage effects for NPC murders. :science:

I remember this despite not touching Morrowind for almost 15 years, send help.

drat, there goes my morrowind cred :/

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Xinder posted:

I loving love morrowind

really dont understand why bethesda got rid of the "oh cool armor *stab stab stab* my armor now" metagame of morrowind. That was such a mindblowing concept in 2002 and you can't really do that in the other games. I mean sort of in Skyrim, sure, but there aren't just like, bandit kings out there at any level with a full ebony set. I'm pretty sure there's a good way to get a full set of dwemer armor and a daedric longsword just outside vivec if you dont have an issue clapping mother fuckers.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I will be forever baffled by why they removed spellcrafting and nerfed enchantment in the later games, when it was probably the single most fun and cool feature in an rpg at the time (and probably since).

Yea, why would I want to make myself into an insane floating magical murdegod, sounds boring as gently caress. Bethesda, please just give me some corridors to run through.

You can't even say it's balance, because none of these games are balanced anyway, and honestly, does anyone care? Yes, you can break the game, but breaking the game can be the game, man

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

grate deceiver posted:

I will be forever baffled by why they removed spellcrafting and nerfed enchantment in the later games, when it was probably the single most fun and cool feature in an rpg at the time (and probably since).

Yea, why would I want to make myself into an insane floating magical murdegod, sounds boring as gently caress. Bethesda, please just give me some corridors to run through.

You can't even say it's balance, because none of these games are balanced anyway, and honestly, does anyone care? Yes, you can break the game, but breaking the game can be the game, man
All singleplayer TES games could be broken in many different ways, but I think levitation was removed from later games because (at least officially) of how cities were separate cells unlike in Morrowind.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

grate deceiver posted:

breaking the game can be the game, man

Embroider this on a pillow and send it to Todd.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dwesa posted:

All singleplayer TES games could be broken in many different ways, but I think levitation was removed from later games because (at least officially) of how cities were separate cells unlike in Morrowind.

Todd said in an interview levitation made it way too easy to break encounters and such. It was OP to always be able to go somewhere the AI could not reach.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's not even like you could just press button and break it right away, to do the constant effect enchantments in Morrowind required a lot of prep and being able to kill one of the strongest mobs in the base game. You could steal the soul gems, but that also required prep. Getting to that point pretty much gave you an entire playthrough worth of game anyway.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

grate deceiver posted:

I’d go as far to say that with Morrowind, breaking the game is the game. The it feels like game is designed with that in mind. Things like the boots of blinding speed/resist blind combo, or the fact that the mage falls from the sky with those acrobatics scrolls like 10 minutes into the game.

grate deceiver posted:

It's not even like you could just press button and break it right away, to do the constant effect enchantments in Morrowind required a lot of prep and being able to kill one of the strongest mobs in the base game. You could steal the soul gems, but that also required prep. Getting to that point pretty much gave you an entire playthrough worth of game anyway.

It’s removal hurts worldbuilding too. The Telvanni having houses you can only navigate if you can levitate tells you a lot about their elitist arseholery without requiring words. (They’re still the best house. Telvanni forever.)

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 8, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I’d go as far to say that with Morrowind, breaking the game is the game.

I would do unspeakable things for a new take on this idea, where you're actually rewarded for exploiting the game's various systems and reach new heights of power. Something like that Amazing Cultivator Sim game, but as an open-world rpg in a fully realised interesting setting like TES.

Todd, please, let me have fun, I'm begging you

CottonWolf posted:

It’s removal hurts worldbuilding too. The Telvanni having houses you can only navigate if you can levitate tells you a lot about their elitist arseholery without requiring words. (They’re still the best house. Telvanni forever.)

That one scripted levitation platform in Dragonborn felt limp-dicked as hell, lmao

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How do you keep up with the potion demands? I'm running a mod that gives me 1-6 ingredients randomly per pick and at level 34 I go through a ton of potions, even with stacked various resists. My Heavy Armor is at something like 93 and I still lose health so drat fast to dragons and some of the tougher enemies.

In general the enemy balance is weird. I just killed a Bandit(regular named) that took four power attacks to the face and then I fought a chieftan who died in one hit, cut straight to finisher animation. I don't get it man!

Buy out every vendor's entire stock of potions. Even the low level ones: 25 health still counts for a lot when you have 50 of them. Also don't be afraid to run like a coward while using the starting healing spell if you have to. Also maybe grab a companion. Any will do. You're not after their stats, you're after their body: an opponent attacking something that isn't you is effectively 100% Damage Reduction.

Oh, and Skin spells. The basic starting Oakflesh is excellent and can be used with 0 investment into the Alteration tree. It should last the whole fight and you'll have your magic back to cast it again by the next.

Also maybe upgrade your armor? Admittedly I don't spend that much time at high levels but 93 at level 34 sounds really low. I think my curias alone at that point is somewhere around 112 or higher in heavy builds.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 9, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Flytrap posted:

Buy out every vendor's entire stock of potions. Even the low level ones: 25 health still counts for a lot when you have 50 of them. Also don't be afraid to run like a coward while using the starting healing spell if you have to. Also maybe grab a companion. Any will do. You're not after their stats, you're after their body: an opponent attacking something that isn't you is effectively 100% Damage Reduction.

Oh, and Skin spells. The basic starting Oakskin is excellent and can be used with 0 investment into the Alteration tree. It should last the whole fight and you'll have your magic back to cast it again by the next.

Also maybe upgrade your armor? Admittedly I don't spend that much time at high levels but 93 at level 34 sounds really low. I think my curias alone at that point is somewhere around 112 or higher in heavy builds.

My heavy armor skill is at 93. I have an ebony hat and chest, hoping for gloves and boots and such to spawn.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

grate deceiver posted:

That one scripted levitation platform in Dragonborn felt limp-dicked as hell, lmao

The first time I met Neloth was when he met me at the top of that teleporter, spoke to me for a bit, then pushed me down the shaft to my death.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

For dragons, get Spellbreaker asap. It makes dragons breath trivial. That's from the quest you get pointed to by the afflicted refugee.

mysterious frankie posted:

The first time I met Neloth was when he met me at the top of that teleporter, spoke to me for a bit, then pushed me down the shaft to my death.

That seems completely in character for Neloth.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Hive mind

https://i.imgur.com/djw9SaG.mp4

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It's for the Greater Good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Agents are GO! posted:

The whole thing was comedically perfect. The game let me sit and talk with him and exhaust all dialogue choices, then he goes “alright, you’ve convinced me. Let’s go!” He then pushed me to my death, the camera settles on my crumpled body for a half beat, until he slowly lowers to the ground and exits the room.

The next time I made sure to get behind him before starting the conversation.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Agents are GO! posted:

For dragons, get Spellbreaker asap. It makes dragons breath trivial. That's from the quest you get pointed to by the afflicted refugee.

I'm a two-hander man! I think I just need Dragonrend. It's really only the Draugr deathlords that are spanking me as hard as they are anyway. Dragons are only tough because they sometimes never land, or land on roofs and stuff

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/1358964755201892352

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

quote:

Fix black screen bug with Alternate Music enabled in some dungeons

Huh, the music was what was causing it? Weird.

In other daggerfall news I finally got vampirism, but I also got plague at the same time and when I cured that I cured them both. Probably for the best, as I wanted to be a werewolf anyways. I wonder if I could have just mitigated the effects of plague by hanging around in town casting heal/using fortify attribute stuff until I "died" of vampirism though.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 9, 2021

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man this back-and-forth to become Hortator for the houses in Morrowind sure is tiring. Vivec as a city is just terrible if you're not fast enough to traverse it.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
How is Skyrim in VR?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MR.B posted:

How is Skyrim in VR?

bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1n2rqNf04I

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

MR.B posted:

How is Skyrim in VR?

Poorly thought out but salvageable with the right mod set up that makes the VR experience more engaging and accessible.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

BillBear posted:

Poorly thought out but salvageable with the right mod set up

Isn't that the whole series in general though? Hehe

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I enjoyed Skyrim VR, but I play it sitting with a game pad rather than with motion controls.

Doing that it just feels like having a big screen all around you.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Big Scary Owl posted:

Oh man this back-and-forth to become Hortator for the houses in Morrowind sure is tiring. Vivec as a city is just terrible if you're not fast enough to traverse it.

I've found myself wondering several times if its not easier to just grind rep to 50 so I can skip that part of the MQ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

British people shouldn't be allowed on youtube they loving suck at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Dagoth Ur has been defeated, I've finally finished the main quest after all these years :unsmith: