Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQ_BBwK5LA&t=1064s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Looks good and fun.

It's going to be wild if the MMO made by the pyramid scheme guy ends up being successful.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Looks good for a pre-Alpha.

I am most interested in seeing this game once it has actual players playing it. How is this node system going to really work when you have a thousand people running around.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQ_BBwK5LA&t=1760s These mounts look cute

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Is there any word on release dates or anything like that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
No, Ashes of Creation appears to be a Dreams.txt game.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Cardboard Fox posted:

Looks good for a pre-Alpha.

That's really just semantics. Alphas and Betas aren't what they used to be.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Stormgale posted:

These mounts look cute

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 7, 2020

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Foehammer007 posted:

Is there any word on release dates or anything like that

Nope other than alpha 1 starts before the end of Fall

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

For a second I honestly believed that was a screenshot.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Ehud posted:

Looks good and fun.

It's going to be wild if the MMO made by the pyramid scheme guy ends up being successful.

I used to camp steven in archeage. Hes a horrid gamer.

That being said it looks more likely to be more of an actually good game that any other upcoming mmo, not even to mention the fact that its a kickstarter MMO.

Truly surprising given the source.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Alpha dates announced

https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2020-10-16-creative-directors-letter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Early Access pre-alpha started in late September 2019, and alpha is starting it looks like sometime in the middle of December 2020. So that is not too bad compared to other MMORPG kickstarters that have been in pre-alpha for 6+ years.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Edit: gently caress sorry

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 20, 2020

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Edit: was browsing this thread on my phone, got a call, answered it and my face made a post on its own.

The post was only average quality by SA posting standards and so has been removed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here's a preview vid showing some of the Cleric archetype abilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AHwGp-t27M

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

New alpha one video with an extremely long boss fight.

It's a raid boss and they're trying to kill it with a small party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hsJPB8y7k

the combat and effects are very flashy and pretty

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ehud posted:

This does look cool, but how is it that this game is nearing 5 years in development and its still no where close to finished and just looks like a higher texture resolution version of Guild Wars 2? It still looks and feels like it does not have an identity of its own.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

This does look cool, but how is it that this game is nearing 5 years in development and its still no where close to finished and just looks like a higher texture resolution version of Guild Wars 2? It still looks and feels like it does not have an identity of its own.

I guess everything hinges on whether or not all the promised next gen MMO systems actually work.

And I dunno that we’ll get any real clarity on that stuff until there are large scale play tests.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Finally, something will free me from WoW

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Yeah whoever is doing the worldbuilding here is not very inspired. This looks like a dollar store fantasy setting at best.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

Finally, something will free me from WoW

Remove the stone of shame. Attach the stone of triumph! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Z0iyBNxpk

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ehud posted:

This is probably the best video they've shown so far, but I'm still not seeing the main draw. It just looks like an Alpha Guild Wars 2.

When are they going to show off the node system which apparently is the main selling point of this game?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Cardboard Fox posted:

This is probably the best video they've shown so far, but I'm still not seeing the main draw. It just looks like an Alpha Guild Wars 2.

When are they going to show off the node system which apparently is the main selling point of this game?

They're not. Cause tertiary gameplay loops are hard to showcase even when they are well though out and showed off well. It's why games that tend to strongly rely on them like grand strategy games tend to have massive CG trailers with basically no gameplay. And I'm very skeptical about the whole node system as a whole being anything special. Everything we know about it so far basically describes it as "these quests are locked off until this gradually depleting bar is filled up to X amount."

Like the only MMO with a tertiary gameplay loop that actually sounds innovative that's in development that I know of is Crowfall with the whole "constantly resetting world" thing that was somewhat courted by a few games like PoTBS and HnH, but unfortunately that game seems to be completely hampered by garbage grade primary gameplay loops. This, this at least from the trailers seems to have at least a mediocre primary gameplay loop (certainly no Black Desert or Blade & Soul), but it's tertiary loop doesn't seem to be very promising which is kind a problem given how much they've been banking on it.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 26, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
They seem weirdly proud about the combat design, but at the same time spout things like "we're still in alpha so this will all change". But I keep asking my self "will it though? because it doesn't look like you recognize what's wrong".

At a real base level, the netcoding looks off, the animations / slidey-ness of everything makes it look really weird. Furthermore, they've apparently got quests in the game but I'm yet to see anything that isn't just like: walk here and kill X or do Y- So I wonder what is actually going to keep people interested because it's unlikely they'll even do quests more fun than say WoW. In a vacuum everything looks alright so far, but everything together doesn't feel right. Like the overall aesthetic is off, as if it's just a mish-mash of designs that don't really feel like they exist in the same IP.

Them also touting this 250vs250 and saying that they've had it working and they're thinking about taking it higher is really concerning to me because I genuinely do not believe it in the slightest. I'm super worried this entire game is just going to end up doing weird loving phasing because 500 players all in the same spot casting spells we all know how that's going to go, they haven't just invented new tech that can magically handle it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

hobocrunch posted:

They seem weirdly proud about the combat design, but at the same time spout things like "we're still in alpha so this will all change". But I keep asking my self "will it though? because it doesn't look like you recognize what's wrong".

At a real base level, the netcoding looks off, the animations / slidey-ness of everything makes it look really weird. Furthermore, they've apparently got quests in the game but I'm yet to see anything that isn't just like: walk here and kill X or do Y- So I wonder what is actually going to keep people interested because it's unlikely they'll even do quests more fun than say WoW. In a vacuum everything looks alright so far, but everything together doesn't feel right. Like the overall aesthetic is off, as if it's just a mish-mash of designs that don't really feel like they exist in the same IP.

Them also touting this 250vs250 and saying that they've had it working and they're thinking about taking it higher is really concerning to me because I genuinely do not believe it in the slightest. I'm super worried this entire game is just going to end up doing weird loving phasing because 500 players all in the same spot casting spells we all know how that's going to go, they haven't just invented new tech that can magically handle it.

how'd their battle royale combat netcode testing actually go, didn't they run that for like 3 months

looks kinda cool from the handful of vids I watched, but never got to try it

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

how'd their battle royale combat netcode testing actually go, didn't they run that for like 3 months

Unbelievably terrible, from my recollection.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Unbelievably terrible, from my recollection.

Which is good as it was a test bed for this game. They spotted some fundamental issues and have supposedly fixed them. We're not far from non-NDA content, so tracking this game's development will be in real time.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ehud posted:

It looks like Guild Wars 2, hell, the icons are almost Guild Wars loving 1.

I mean, sure, functional and all, but otherwise, it just looks like everything we already seen before.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

New dev update.

Footage of a new tropical biome that is pretty cool looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-fU0DJL7wY

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
This game looks pretty cool and I hope it doesn’t totally suck. The art is rad and the abilities look fancy, imo it looks much better than Guild Wars 2 which has always felt “off” to me. Hopefully they can nail the netcode for the combat because it’s so critical to any game feeling good to play.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Preview of the tank archetype level 1-10 skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkkVKZ64Ns

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Honestly surprised that this game is looking good. Remember when everyone that it was a scam to create a bad battle royale game? What ever happened with that anyways.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Turns out all the other MMO kickstarters were scams to create MOBAs and this is the one that might be real.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Yeah, those skills actually look really good, lots of mobility and status changes in there and not just "deal damage to one guy, deal damage to two guys, deal damage over time". If the rest of the ability sets keep pace with this I'm actually going to be pretty excited to play the game. Hopefully the choice of secondary archetype is impactful too.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Some of them look like they will feel good to press which a lot of mmos have a hard time nailing. Like everything feels “whooshy” in many modern mmos.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

hobocrunch posted:

That's honestly the saddest story I've ever heard.

Re: dude's dope house.

I dunno, I find it beautiful. Like a dude making a ship in a bottle then stashing it in a drawer.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Once more into the breach. My mmo travels guide me to another $175 preorder I will insist I did not buy when asked in a year.

Last time I did this was Albion I think.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Monthly gameplay/update vid

starts with some boring dev talk
then they go to a little quest village
there are some cool rhino mounts
22:35 they do some PVP dueling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFA4gN-GD2E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The ashes will be their servers when 360k bored hermits playingast week's hit all try to login at once when this game actually releases. I think its going to be a valheim situation.