Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I don't really care if the AI can't handle it, I prefer the incredible visuals or actual settlements. Siege battles suck rear end to play now because they are all the same.

for that reason GCCM is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Floppychop posted:

edit: \/ I use GCCM, the maps in it are great \/

I want to use GCCM but I hate that Moot map so loving much. Endless super steep hills forever and it seems like I end up fighting over that settlement no matter which faction I'm actually playing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I haven't played much Three Kingdoms but it seemed like the sieges there were WAY better. non-walled cities still had an encampment structure instead of just being a regular wilderness map, and cities have (at least early on) a bunch of fully-impassable walls but no gates, and pretty detailed interior geography that the AI seemd to handle well.

On Chaos God stuff: I know the DND alignment axis is weird and dumb, but it's always struck me, especially in 40k, that it's all about order vs. chaos, but everybody is at the "evil" end of the good-evil spectrum. It seems like pretty much every faction is a genocidal racial supremacist?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That's because the lore is mainly there for an excuse to smash little figurines against each other.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
thats why GW introduced the Tau, so 40k could have a a good guy faction to root for

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Flavahbeast posted:

thats why GW introduced the Tau, so 40k could have a a good guy faction to root for

Aren't the Tau mind controlling genocidal eugenicists now also?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Orks are the good guys of 40k because all they care about is fighting and winning.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The only thing I really liked about AoS is the Skaven having their own dimension where they literally gnaw their way into other realities and infest them. They should've added that to 40k, space Skaven seem like an unexplored concept.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The great unclean one in the trailer is definitely Rotigus' design, if not explicitly him. I think it's pretty apparent that AoS is coming to TW.

Which is fine. It's ok to take the bits that fit into WHFB and ignore the ones that don't.

And also to bring the Fish Aelves :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yo what happened to the old world? Like, did the planet explode? Did the Sigmarines ever try to go back and grab Ghal Maraz or something?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Stuff I hope will be in 3:

-Better sieges, as mentioned. For starters, more types of siege engine since theres not much variety right now. They'd have to fix issues with pathing to really improve the AI.

-More control over the specific area reinforcements will arrive.

-Just have the world map be a globe you can rotate around and fully circumnavigate. Having flat map edges makes things artificially further away by forcing you to go in a specific direction.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jokes posted:

Yo what happened to the old world? Like, did the planet explode? Did the Sigmarines ever try to go back and grab Ghal Maraz or something?

The Chaos gods ate it because Archaon forced them to. The good guys had a plan to stop this but it involved Manfredd, who like the little starscream bitch he is, backstabbed them at the last moment for no reason other than to be a dick, dooming the world.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

ArchRanger posted:

Pretty sure it was mentioned in DOW Dark Crusade that the Tau castrated the human population that sided with them and that game came out in 2006.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

ArchRanger posted:

I miss 40k having a couple of good factions, because it's a good way to highlight that the imperium's genocidal facism is evil and ineffectual. Without the contrast all the shittyness can read as 'hard men making hard decisions' type thinking.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tau's genocide stuff is directly proportional to how mad the author is at tau for "getting anime in his 40k" and not an inherent part of the dudes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

jokes posted:

The Chaos Gods broke through reality and hosed everything up real good, a vortex of raw Chaos ripping through the world and flinging god-like beings and souls alike adrift on the winds of Magic as they scattered out into the cosmos, eventually coalescing into the eight worlds of the Mortal Realms.

The Gods then got bored and moved onto a different world to start The Great Game all over again, except for Slaanesh who made a point to hunt down every last Elf soul, in particular those hidden by the last remaining Elven god, Mathlann beneath the boiling oceans of what remained of The Old World.

Ghal Maraz for the record was flung into the aforementioned magical vortex and was recovered by Sigmar when he made his claim on the new worlds. It was then lost again because of Tzeentch's bullshit and an early part of AoS's plot revolves around recovering it.

ArchRanger posted:

They've waffled back and forth on this.
As of 9th edition they've settled on a new status quo for the T'au. The Ethereals are becoming increasingly authoritarian and paranoid as the Empire keeps pushing against the rest of the galaxy, and have their own personal army of indoctrinated "Edification Corps" known for their brutality in enacting actions against even minorly disagreeing T'au forces and auxiliaries.

This is having a knock on effect with a lot of the Fire Caste's commanders, especially Commander Shadowsun becoming super distrustful of the Ethereals after rogue Commander Farsight's forces came and pulled her rear end out of the fire during the second Damocles Gulf campaign, only for the Ethereals to demand she take all her forces that had just been battered to near break by the Imperials and use them to slaughter their rescuers. On top of them parading around an hologram of High Ethereal Aun'Va to pretend he didn't get his brain exploded by a Culexus Assassin.

Swinging back to the grimdark, we also have the 4th Sphere Expansionists, survivors of a failed colonising effort that attempted to use a stable wormhole that appeared in T'au space to cross to the other side of the galaxy, only to disappear. A drone with a garbled message eventually popped out the T'au end of the hole many decades later and they braved the rift with better equipped ships to find the survivors on the other end, traumatised and xenophobic, their auxiliary units gone and their Fire Warriors unwilling to lower their weapons at any auxiliaries the relief forces brought with them. This more Imperium-like attitude being adopted by more and more Ethereals as the Empire expands out from that side of the wormhole.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 10, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Thought up a good mod idea, when a unit reaches 9 chevrons and it isn't already named the mod will automatically generate a random faction appropriate name for the unit.

I've always wanted a mod that does this and also gives them some random ability/bonus, making every 9 chevron unit into a mini-RoR. I'm not sure if it's even possible though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Log082 posted:

I've always wanted a mod that does this and also gives them some random ability/bonus, making every 9 chevron unit into a mini-RoR. I'm not sure if it's even possible though.

A bunch of units are supposed to be veteran versions of basic units too, like Big Uns and Longbeards.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Eimi posted:

The Chaos gods ate it because Archaon forced them to. The good guys had a plan to stop this but it involved Manfredd, who like the little starscream bitch he is, backstabbed them at the last moment for no reason other than to be a dick, dooming the world.

Yeah...

In the end it wasnt conniving Skaven or brutish Chaos warriors who hosed the world in the rear end

It was one single vampire deciding that it was time for everything to end

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Isn't Kislev a pretty decent "good guys that are actually good guys" faction? None of the oppression of Bretonnia, less of the rampant corruption of the Empire. Sure they're pretty autocratic and not all of the various subgroups always get along, but they're making an honest effort. And also pet bears.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Isn't Kislev a pretty decent "good guys that are actually good guys" faction? None of the oppression of Bretonnia, less of the rampant corruption of the Empire. Sure they're pretty autocratic and not all of the various subgroups always get along, but they're making an honest effort. And also pet bears.

Talking 40k. In Fantasy the good guys, while flawed, are still good guys at the end of the day. Not so much the Imperium or Eldar.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A bunch of units are supposed to be veteran versions of basic units too, like Big Uns and Longbeards.

There actually is a mod that allows for upgrades when units reach a certain amount of veterancy! It's pretty neat.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Log082 posted:

There actually is a mod that allows for upgrades when units reach a certain amount of veterancy! It's pretty neat.

That sounds dope, and would make a lot of sense for lots of the basic units. It would be really nice to be able to, say, upgrade shield-less seaguard to the shielded versions, skink javelins to skirmishers, etc.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I double checked, and it's the appropriately named "Upgrade Units" mod on the workshop. It works well from when I've played with it. There are also submods to do things like give dwarves runic upgrades for artillery, or add upgrade paths the main mod considers unbalanced/not lore supported, so it's pretty customizable.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The closest faction to being "good guys" are Eldar, the issue is they are basically the most smug assholes in existence and some people just can't get over that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Eldar would probably not mind sacrificing an entire human world if it suited their purposes

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Thought up a good mod idea, when a unit reaches 9 chevrons and it isn't already named the mod will automatically generate a random faction appropriate name for the unit.

Clearly, after 7 chevrons the unit should end up going through some portal and end up either on Settra's doorstep or in some strange place that looks suspiciously like a British Colombian forest.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zzulu posted:

The Eldar would probably not mind sacrificing an entire human world if it suited their purposes

The Eldar would gladly sacrifice an entire human world just to save one single Eldar life.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

"probably?"

They have. They do it routinely actually.

They also tend to sacrifice on the sector level, rather than just individual worlds.

All elves suck rear end, space variants especially so.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Luckys Overhaul had lord skills that would give units new abilities when they reached a certain veterancy. It was nice as it kept lower tier obsolete units relevent.

LuckySpade unfortunately hasnt updated his mod in a very long time, apparently he works for the NHS in the UK and has been understandably very busy this past year.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Actually the Asur rule and are saviours of the world, none more so than Teclis

e: and yeah Lucky's/CnC is a good mod

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eimi posted:

The Eldar would gladly sacrifice an entire human world just to save one single Eldar life.

I mean, the humans would do the same. Everyone in 40k is a genocidal lunatic, so their elves being genocidal lunatics doesn't really move the needle.

The Imperium would almost certainly consider it a bonus if they got to murder an entire craftworld and save a human in the process.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I mean, the humans would do the same. Everyone in 40k is a genocidal lunatic, so their elves being genocidal lunatics doesn't really move the needle.

The Imperium would almost certainly consider it a bonus if they got to murder an entire craftworld and save a human in the process.

I mean while they would love to wipe out a craftworld it's a pretty common theme the Imperium does not give a single poo poo about human lives. Human control? Yes, but lives? Not at all. I guess unless they are a lord admiral or chapter master, or some other insanely high ranked individual.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Eimi posted:

As lovely as that is, it's basically the equivalent of us coming across a sentient race of egg men who live a maximum of 10 months and collectively try to kill us for no discernible reason all the time and on one of their many, many planets they hold one of the most nicest and esteemed people of humanity and will kill them if given the chance. Also there are only about 300,000 of us left and every time we die we face eternal torture at the hands of a sadistic sex god who we admittedly birthed into the world and are trying to fix it.

Like, it's still extremely loving evil but when looked through the lens of Eldar it's a far more sympathetic reason for mass murder than basically any other faction. A total Imperium victory sees the eradication of all xeno life, Tau see basically everyone enslaved and anyone who steps out of line is murdered. Eldar's grand victory is basically to be left the gently caress alone and live their lives in their craftworlds forever while Slaanesh fucks off. Their goals are the most admirable out of everyone and they don't *want* to see all other races snuffed out which is a huge boon in this setting morally.

edit: All 40k factions are bad. I do not condone mass murder, not even the mass murder of egg men.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Meanwhile the Asur mostly just want to make sure you keep going along with unequal trade deals and possibly cripple your navy but aren't into some weird 'humans have no value at all' thing. Humans have plenty of value! In getting the merchants and princes fabulously rich. Also maybe being allies sometimes, fine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let me remind you all that Teclis literally invented the imperial colleges of magic and taught them to the idiot humans

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let me remind you all that Teclis literally invented the imperial colleges of magic and taught them to the idiot humans

And the other elves think Teclis is some weird hippy loser. Like I love the Asur but that includes them being massive arrogant gently caress ups who screw themselves over with it like every time. :v:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

The Elves causing a massive world war by cutting the beard of a Dwarf diplomat for laughs is probably the most Elf thing ever.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Teclis is cool, but the rest of the elves are infuriatingly snooty. They're also all G-men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Look, teclis taught humans how to cast magic so that they could be fodder for elves while elves did the important work