Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

That should just be the heat and pressure of the canning process denaturing the bromelain , rather than removing it. You could achieve the same effect by putting the can into an InstantPot for a little while.
Those look expensive, is there another way of doing it? Could I just submerge a can in boiling water for a bit?

The regular cans still have the burn effect (if anything they've made it stronger, possibly to compensate).

E: bog

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Those look expensive, is there another way of doing it? Could I just submerge a can in boiling water for a bit?

The regular cans still have the burn effect (if anything they've made it stronger, possibly to compensate).

Yes sorry I should have clarified in my edit. Just a saucepan of less-than boiling water for 10 mins should do nicely. I was thinking it might require boiling which is why I suggested the InstantPot just because I have a fear of exploding cans

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes sorry I should have clarified in my edit. Just a saucepan of less-than boiling water for 10 mins should do nicely. I was thinking it might require boiling which is why I suggested the InstantPot just because I have a fear of exploding cans

You reduce the chance of explosion if the can is completely submerged, I believe. Something to do with pressure differentials

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's funny when you look at her wikipedia page and it's like, which Tory is this again?

Wikipedia posted:

Hoey favours stricter controls on immigration, tougher welfare reform, withdrawal from the European Union, English Votes for English Laws, grammar schools, marriage tax allowances, free schools and academies.

(the paragraph is also missing her support for freedom to own handguns, anti-lgbt bollocks and relegalising fox hunts)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

You reduce the chance of explosion if the can is completely submerged, I believe. Something to do with pressure differentials

I think that's just because boiling water will stay at 100C, whereas if you let it boil off you can get steam heating the can to above 100C and then you could have problems.

Since It should never go without saying, if you're heating a can even a bit you should let it cool down rather than opening it and having hot, mildly pressurised pineapple juice shoot into your corneas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

(the paragraph is also missing her support for freedom to own handguns, anti-lgbt bollocks and relegalising fox hunts)
But also a for a United Ireland and against the war in Iraq, foundation hospitals, university tuition and top-up fees, ID cards and extended detention without trial.

In conclusion, the lost Aontú MP for Vauxhall?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Would it work just boiling the kettle and then soaking the can for a while? I'm just trying to find the easiest and least explodey way of not having the pineapple try and eat me back.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Still pissed ASDA axed their cheapest brand of boxed red wine like 2 weeks into the first lockdown.

Lidl's £2.79 range is fine tbh

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i'm reasonably sure that over the past year they've been packing less and less tuna into the same size tins. used to be able to get 2 good sandwiches out of a tin, now it's 1 mega sandwich or 2 pathetic ones. dont even have the 'two thirds empty crisp packet' excuse that its for protection during shipping, it's already smashed up to gently caress
brexit's been loving with our fish supplies for a year already to get us used to it :tinfoil:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surely you’re better off with lager than £2.79 red wine.

Pretty sure the excise alone on a 750ml bottle of red wine is £2.23.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

But also a for a United Ireland and against the war in Iraq, foundation hospitals, university tuition and top-up fees, ID cards and extended detention without trial.

Pretty sure she's a unionist, that support for united ireland was more incidental to her Marxist student days:

wiki posted:

Prior to being a member of the British Labour Party, Hoey was a member of the International Marxist Group, whose policies included support for a united Ireland.

but:

Belfast Telegraph 2019 posted:

Former Labour MP Kate Hoey has revealed she will be voting for the DUP in the upcoming General Election.

The ex-cabinet minister told radio station LBC that she would be voting in Northern Ireland on December 12.

Ms Hoey was born in Mallusk, Co Antrim and studied at the Belfast Royal Academy and University of Ulster before moving to England.

Ms Hoey confirmed that would be a DUP candidate where she is "likely to be voting".

"I'm pro-union. I would not dream of voting for Sinn Fein, I wouldn't dream of voting for the SDLP," she said, adding that the Alliance Party is in hock with both.

Asked if she would have voted for the Brexit Party or Conservative Party if she was voting in London, she said "Yes I would", adding that "the country comes before party politics in this election".

And the other stuff is just her libertarian streak.

e: There's something hilarious about former Labour MP admitting she'd want to vote for the Tories just months after quitting her seat.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 10, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The strange and yet consistent pipeline of student Marxists to weirdo socially-conservative libertarians to straight up alt-right party voters.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Guavanaut posted:

The strange and yet consistent pipeline of student Marxists to weirdo socially-conservative libertarians to straight up alt-right party voters.

Just sounds like straightforward bribery to me. She's paid to advance certain positions so she does so.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Gort posted:

Just sounds like straightforward bribery to me. She's paid to advance certain positions so she does so.

It's hard to say, she could've probably kept her position as a Labour MP if she were a bit more conformant to the party message.

Then again she's at least no Frank Fields, who wrote a large number of books on why the skivers should suffer why the welfare safety net is bad, actually, signed Labour MP. It takes dedication to have your proposed welfare reform condemned as too strict by 1997 Tony Blair of all people.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 10, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Guavanaut posted:

A nation of shopkeeper.

British shopkeepers, Eddie; best in the world.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Would it work just boiling the kettle and then soaking the can for a while? I'm just trying to find the easiest and least explodey way of not having the pineapple try and eat me back.

Is say yeah if you left it for ten minutes you'd get it there. Better if covered/insulated so it doesn't cool down too fast

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

In conclusion, Kate Hooey, a land of contrasts.

I don’t think she is paid to advance those positions. Unfortunately, people seem able to do so of their own volition.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Christ what's with the gain on Boris' microphone :psypop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSRDDcCxA6Y

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrsYrdJaUw

Relevant to yesterday's discussion of the limits of human brains.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSRDDcCxA6Y

COME TO BORIS.
COME TO BORIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ827lkktYs

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Convex posted:

BORIS_JOHNSON_BASS_BOOSTED.WAV

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/colettexcrudenx/status/1359138147830034436

I guess I'm a ScotNat now because this sort of behaviour has no place in this country.

e: For completeness I literally tossed a coin because I couldn't decide whether the joke should have been that or "...because these people don't deserve to be dragged down by the rest of us".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guess I'm a ScotNat now because this sort of behaviour has no place in this country.

e: For completeness I literally tossed a coin because I couldn't decide whether the joke should have been that or "...because these people don't deserve to be dragged down by the rest of us".

Are the ice cream vans in Scotland still all about selling coke?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well if that's the case then I definitely stick with the first version of the joke, what kind of stone-age people don't have access to Telegram and blokes on mopeds*?

*In Minecraft, I have of course no knowledge whatsoever of how drugs are sold in London

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

We're perfectly capable of that sort of nonsense in Engerland, this is from mid-Jan:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well if that's the case then I definitely stick with the first version of the joke, what kind of stone-age people don't have access to Telegram and blokes on mopeds*?

*In Minecraft, I have of course no knowledge whatsoever of how drugs are sold in London

In Dublin (Minecraft server) it was Brazilian lads pedalling rickshaws for the last few years. God knows what's been happening since lockdown

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

typical soft southern shite

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jose posted:

typical soft southern shite

have you got your Big Coat out yet

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've literally just walked in the door from the park and cab report that not only was there a van selling ice cream to sledgers at half 5 in the evening in the snow, but there were at least 2 people in shorts.

Nae taps aff though, so clearly it was a little cold

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

the ones i saw in winter actually sold cakes for some insane reason

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jel Shaker posted:

the ones i saw in winter actually sold cakes for some insane reason

aye, i figured they were selling hot chocolate or something. really they're just food trucks who can provide a specialized service in the summer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kecske posted:

have you got your Big Coat out yet

lol i'm still wearing shorts at all times

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hot pie van in winter actually sounds pretty amazing. Ice cream in summer, hot drinks in spring/autumn, pukka pies and bovril in winter.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I was at uni the ice cream vans had some stiff competition from certain taxi companies. I remember getting a business card off one mobile entrepreneur that advertised "a swift, reliable service". It was, too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Then again she's at least no Frank Fields, who wrote a large number of books on why the skivers should suffer why the welfare safety net is bad, actually, signed Labour MP. It takes dedication to have your proposed welfare reform condemned as too strict by 1997 Tony Blair of all people.
Field is another strange one, opposes the welfare safety net (allegedly) on the basis that "when he was young the state was for protecting the rich, therefore why should the poor support the state?" which would have him come of age somewhere around 1882 I guess.

therattle posted:

In conclusion, Kate Hooey, a land of contrasts.

I don’t think she is paid to advance those positions. Unfortunately, people seem able to do so of their own volition.
Yeah, too many seem to go the Marxist student to oddball libertarian to alt-right pipeline for it just to be as simple as being on the payroll of someone or other, but it does seem like entire think tanks worth of people managed to shift themselves down that path. Something definitely broke a bunch of people's brains around the late-00s (although in her case it was earlier I think).

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hot pie van in winter actually sounds pretty amazing. Ice cream in summer, hot drinks in spring/autumn, pukka pies and bovril in winter.
That does sound like something I want outside my door now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

In Dublin (Minecraft server) it was Brazilian lads pedalling rickshaws for the last few years. God knows what's been happening since lockdown

I represented enough Brazilian lads (from Minecraft servers, I guess) to confirm that a lot of them who were working Rickshaws were also selling drugs.

Basically they would arrive in Ireland and there was a least one Brazilian person acting as a Kingpin who recruited Brazilian's who had newly arrived in the country using the Brazilian social networks setup in Ireland.*

I think now it has moved onto Deliveroo Drivers.

* = Other fun things I learned are it is very easy and legal to get a Brazilian drivers licence converted to an Irish drivers licence and that so many Brazilian men found Ireland an easier place to be Out in than in conservative Brazil.
So much so that back in Brazil , the conservatives there are using Ireland as an example of a gay country that turns Brazilian men gay.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's a lot more inspection that goes with hot food though, right? And they rarely seem to be actually mobile trucks. Shame though cause it would be absolutely banging

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

* = Other fun things I learned are it is very easy and legal to get a Brazilian drivers licence converted to an Irish drivers licence and that so many Brazilian men found Ireland an easier place to be Out in than in conservative Brazil.
So much so that back in Brazil , the conservatives there are using Ireland as an example of a gay country that turns Brazilian men gay.

Ha that is a fun fact. Literal "be gay, do crimes".

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

Pages late to the panel show chat but just thought i would post this horrifying vision of the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2z-AdzgKjY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's a lot more inspection that goes with hot food though, right? And they rarely seem to be actually mobile trucks. Shame though cause it would be absolutely banging
Maybe they need to be semi-mobile rather than fully mobile, perhaps using falafel truck technology.

The Question IRL posted:

Also incorporate this into it somehow.