Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

greps of wrath posted:

i put in my two weeks last friday and since my boss and i are on good terms i stupidly told him where i was going. how hosed am i? should I just consider myself unemployed at this point and start looking for another job? my boss doesn’t seem like a complete rear end in a top hat but the company im leaving has a huge legal department and the new company is a start up so im worried they’ll lean on them to rescind the offer

what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the illuminati isn't real. it can't hurt you

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Steve Jorbs posted:

If you don't have some enforceable non-compete contract or something what leverage does your boss have over this new company that they/you can't just tell him to stuff it?

that’s the thing: I may have a non compete (can’t remember and don’t have any local copies :doh:) and the two companies are in similar enough industries that it might actually be enforceable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the legal cost to gently caress you out of the job (and probably lose) is more than just hiring a replacement

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

greps of wrath posted:

that’s the thing: I may have a non compete (can’t remember and don’t have any local copies :doh:) and the two companies are in similar enough industries that it might actually be enforceable

if you have to ask if it's enforceable: it isn't

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i’ve heard of that happening in ny finance out of pure spite because the community of people who have juice is so small and broken but unless you’re in that specific market I doubt you have anything to worry about

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Where do you live?

I also just quit to start a new job :respek:

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

Where do you live?

I also just quit to start a new job :respek:

I’m in WA, so as far as I can tell non competes are enforceable but frowned upon. The new job is a promotion and a 70% raise so it almost seems too good to be true, hence the worry. Thanks for the responses everyone. I feel a bit better about the situation and fingers crossed everything works out for the best :unsmith:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
It should be fine, your boss is a person too. If you two get along OK, what would he possibly gain from trying to get you fired from your new job? It would only be trouble, and opens your boss and your current employer up to legal risk. And it would also be a real dirtbag move. Nobody wants to be the villain in their own narrative.

Even if your relationship with them is bad, they still have nothing to gain and everything to lose. As somebody who's hired and fired, take my word for it. Nobody wins by stirring up that kind of drama.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
If you're going to work for a competitor, don't worry about it unless you stole a bunch of code that you intend to recycle or something. Even if you signed a non-compete, you would have to be mighty special for your current company to spend the court fees, goodwill, and time trying to sue you.

Just play fair and don't gently caress over your current employer once you're at the new one. It'll be fine.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
also from a quick google search, it looks like washington passed a new non-compete law at the start of 2020 that's pretty restrictive to employers.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Starting the job hunt once again.

Current place pays deec, and I started a new role that doesn't require any coding at this stage, but I'm ready to move on after all the bullshit I've seen around here.

For instance, they tried loving with one of my coworkers when they left citing a non compete, even though our company doesn't directly participate in the domain he'd be working in at the new place. Tons of people here have done the same poo poo, but they didn't bat an eye. P cool signal to your employees imo.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

also from a quick google search, it looks like washington passed a new non-compete law at the start of 2020 that's pretty restrictive to employers.

lol, the compensation threshold for non competes to be a-ok in WA is 100k

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

raminasi posted:

i’ve heard of that happening in ny finance out of pure spite because the community of people who have juice is so small and broken but unless you’re in that specific market I doubt you have anything to worry about

the only place i have even heard of a non compete being enforced (i am in Texas where they are legal) is a radio DJ getting fired for cause (calling up sales dept coworkers in the middle of the night while high on cocaine and threatening suicide) then getting a new job and doing nothing but talking trash about his old boss at the new gig, to the point it was making the local news.

and even then they just threatened him with a lawsuit to shut him up

in the world of computers you’d probably have yo show up at your old job and stab your old boss.

maybe you could get it enforced if you loudly tit up social media talking about copying your old employers whole codebase onto your personal laptop on your last day.

it’d have to be a lot more than just talking about where you are going.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

only time i’ve seen it happen was two jobs ago when our cto left for amazon. our security noticed that a few weeks before he left he attached a hard drive to the laptop and copied hundreds of gigs of data off of it. i kept an eye on the lawsuit and it was delayed over and over again for years until our company dropped it- probably because they knew their product was a hacked together pile of poo poo that didn’t offer anything amazon was already doing better than us.

like ooooo we have our own lovely implementations of spring and docker that don’t loving work and have less features. amazon definitely wants that

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why would you even spend a moment of time to try and reimplement spring and docker? They're right there!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the company had the worst case of 'not invented here' i've ever seen. in hindsight i'm 100% sure the cto was just using the company as his own personal launchpad. like yeah we're definitely going to be building an entire SaaS/PaaS :siren: DATABASE AGNOSTIC :siren: suite of tools based off of one dude's musings and a couple dozen outsourced and underpaid developers. oh and also while doing all this the tool will be built in parallel to the actual company's niche specialty and definitely won't be compromised to hell.

i should have started looking for an exit the day i walked into my manager's office to ask wtf was up with some weird idiosyncrasy in our web application tool and about halfway through debugging he chuckled and said, 'if you can believe it upper management actually thought they were going to be able to sell this pile of poo poo'

it really is incredible how much effort was put into it. a very sophisticated all-encompassing suite that probably took hundreds of thousands of man-hours to build and it was all wrong and useless

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the company had the worst case of 'not invented here' i've ever seen. in hindsight i'm 100% sure the cto was just using the company as his own personal launchpad. like yeah we're definitely going to be building an entire SaaS/PaaS :siren: DATABASE AGNOSTIC :siren: suite of tools based off of one dude's musings and a couple dozen outsourced and underpaid developers. oh and also while doing all this the tool will be built in parallel to the actual company's niche specialty and definitely won't be compromised to hell.

i should have started looking for an exit the day i walked into my manager's office to ask wtf was up with some weird idiosyncrasy in our web application tool and about halfway through debugging he chuckled and said, 'if you can believe it upper management actually thought they were going to be able to sell this pile of poo poo'

it really is incredible how much effort was put into it. a very sophisticated all-encompassing suite that probably took hundreds of thousands of man-hours to build and it was all wrong and useless

dsyp

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Does anyone ITT hire developers? I'm a non traditional looking for a new opportunity and want to get into the US market on a TN visa and am looking for some feedback.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mantle posted:

Does anyone ITT hire developers? I'm a non traditional looking for a new opportunity and want to get into the US market on a TN visa and am looking for some feedback.

Where are you from and why would you ever want to go to the US?

What does non traditional mean? Self taught?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Mantle posted:

TN has some educational requirements that might be difficult to meet as a non-traditional.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Where are you from and why would you ever want to go to the US?

What does non traditional mean? Self taught?

Canada. US jobs seem to pay 2-3x as much after currency conversion and living expense adjustment. It's just too crazy and I'm sick of the housing market here. I'm a combination of partially completed comp sci, boot camp / self taught, and LL.B./JD with 10+ years work experience as a lawyer. I've been writing software for the past 3 years and really increased my intensity in particular the last year. We had a chat last year-- I wouldn't mind having another catch up.

PCjr sidecar posted:

TN has some educational requirements that might be difficult to meet as a non-traditional.

I should rephrase that I don't care which visa I should attempt to get-- broadly I want to find opportunities outside of Canada, and the US is one place I would consider going. I do have a degree, just not a stem degree. Does that open the door a crack?

The message I'm hearing most is go work for a multinational and then do a transfer but I don't think I can go back to an Office Space kind of culture.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

so I says, the illuminati isn't real. it can't hurt you
                       \

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mantle posted:

Canada. US jobs seem to pay 2-3x as much after currency conversion and living expense adjustment. It's just too crazy and I'm sick of the housing market here. I'm a combination of partially completed comp sci, boot camp / self taught, and LL.B./JD with 10+ years work experience as a lawyer. I've been writing software for the past 3 years and really increased my intensity in particular the last year. We had a chat last year-- I wouldn't mind having another catch up.

I should rephrase that I don't care which visa I should attempt to get-- broadly I want to find opportunities outside of Canada, and the US is one place I would consider going. I do have a degree, just not a stem degree. Does that open the door a crack?

The message I'm hearing most is go work for a multinational and then do a transfer but I don't think I can go back to an Office Space kind of culture.

the problem here is that only* a multinational will have the logistics and experience to hire and move you across borders. smaller companies will at best have you work remote or at a satellite office and fly in occasionally

*I mean, mainly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a TN isn't hard or that expensive as long as the company is willing to do the paperwork, if you want to convert to green card or anything it's a nightmare. that said right now they'd basically be doing you a favor since everyone is remote at the moment and someone on a visa is more risk

with your experience I'm sure someone like lexis nexus would be willing to talk to you. having worked at both big and small companies I don't get the whole "I can't do that corporate thing, man" attitude. having to wear a shirt with a collar occasionally is a small price to pay for not worrying about your paycheck bouncing or having to deal with immediate relatives of the ceo, imo

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
True, with big tech you will only have to deal with
* talking with different recruiters at different stages of your offer. These recruiters are for some reason unable to communicate, so you will have to establish your expected compensation multiple times.
* kafkaesque internal bureaucracy, where the contract says that by signing you confirm you've read and agree to abide by document X. This document is an internal document that you will not be shown until you sign, and after being given the run around between HR, Admin, ???, HR, you will be told that this is a standard contract that HR can't change and to take it up with your recruiter. Your recruiter has in the meantime become incommunicado.
* The corp taking 10 weeks to send you contract, so that you have <10 days to actually handle signing and poo poo. Once you read it, refer to the step above.
* The internal recruiter giving you wrong information about the job after you explicitly ask whether it is an on-call position.

and the list goes on and on :v: I think I've set a new record on becoming disillusioned with a job. I started out mildly positive when applying, and managed to completely check out before even signing the contract.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

your anecdotes are representative of 100% of all jobs not at mom & pop shops, got it

I wish you luck finding a small business willing to pay for a visa

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Dev friend got hit with a letter from a lawyer about a week after leaving his previous job stating that they were "investigating the circumstances of his departure". His new company wasn't a competitor in any way. He ignored it and trashed them for it and plenty of other negatives on Glassdoor and never heard anything more. Dunno what to call that but spite.

Mostly unrelated but this is easily the worst mental state I've ever interviewed in and I'm really hoping that these companies are grading on a curve so to speak.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

qirex posted:

your anecdotes are representative of 100% of all jobs not at mom & pop shops, got it

I wish you luck finding a small business willing to pay for a visa

Just as much as yours are, hth.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Bit more constructively, so far I've worked at 2 big corps (one was truly megacorp, one was boring multinational), 3 small companies and a university. The big difference I've seen is that small companies are unfiltered. This can be both good and bad, and I would never go work for a small company where I didn't already know someone who could tell me the reality of the internal workings there. On the other hand, both big corps were aggressively mediocre. While most individual people there were good, both professionally and personally, the overall corporate structure meant that everything was kinda lovely. Not really bad, but not actually good...

This starts with stupid things, like 3 months lead time not being enough to get your machine ready and logins set up, so you spend the first week setting up old, beaten up machine and slowly finding out all the internal systems where your login does not yet exist, and ends with having 20 meetings to decide what to do with user feedback you collected. (The answer apparently is to pass it onto the user feedback team so that they can eventually send it back to us all official like :suicide:)

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Right now, there's an ad for a negotiating thread on the forums that says to "never give a number." But as you probably know, most recruiters ask for a number before they even submit you. What do you do in this situation? Give a number near the top of the range? Take my 6 figgies and gently caress off, knowing my friends will hate me? Dig in and avoid giving a number no matter how hard they pry? I have not given a number yet.

Here is an example conversation:
Me: I can't really give that number until I talk to the team, etc.
Them: Okay, well this position offers 115-160k.
Me: .... That seems OK

I looked on the first and last 2 pages and did not see discussion of this

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Winty posted:

Right now, there's an ad for a negotiating thread on the forums that says to "never give a number." But as you probably know, most recruiters ask for a number before they even submit you. What do you do in this situation? Give a number near the top of the range? Take my 6 figgies and gently caress off, knowing my friends will hate me? Dig in and avoid giving a number no matter how hard they pry? I have not given a number yet.

I mean, the whole deal is now you know the range for the position. if you go on to interview and get an offer for 120k, you know they’re lowballing you and ask for more $$$$

so yeah my advice would just say “that range sounds acceptable, depending on the work and benefits”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

If they're trying to talk salary at the beginning of the conversation it's pretty much guaranteed that they're going to be offering poo poo pay because they're trying to filter candidates out as aggressively as possible. Tell them to give you their band and if they don't you'll be hanging up. gently caress that poo poo

The only time you tolerate that garbage is if you're desperate for any job. If you're not then don't waste your time on them

PIZZA.BAT posted:

talked with the recruiter. he opened the convo with the ‘i don’t want to waste either of our time so what’s your base’ and i’ve been so fed up with that bullshit and also loving myself by answering it that i just replied with a flat ‘i’m not answering that question’ and letting the air hang. was genuinely ready to hang up but he recovered the convo and eventually came around to telling me what the base pay would be and if that was sufficient to move forward.

it was 55% more than my current base.

‘i think we could make that work’

never say a number. jfc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Winty posted:

getting that range out of them is exactly what you want though

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

How does one respond to a recruiter telling you about their company’s team of sub-contracted programmers in, “The Ukraine?”

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

If they're trying to talk salary at the beginning of the conversation it's pretty much guaranteed that they're going to be offering poo poo pay because they're trying to filter candidates out as aggressively as possible. Tell them to give you their band and if they don't you'll be hanging up. gently caress that poo poo

this is not accurate. nearly every internal recruiter i've ever talked to does this, including multiple faang recruiters. they do not offer poo poo pay

unless you mean, like, as the first thing you talk about. but they always try to get to numbers pretty quickly in my experience. you can push em off for a while though of course

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

this is not accurate. nearly every internal recruiter i've ever talked to does this, including multiple faang recruiters. they do not offer poo poo pay

unless you mean, like, as the first thing you talk about. but they always try to get to numbers pretty quickly in my experience. you can push em off for a while though of course

California require them to have a number ready for you.

that will not be total comp though. like Amazon would probably always answer “$160k” unless you’re a new grad or something.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, they're supposed to have the range. most likely it's wide enough that it's not _super_ helpful in my experience - they'll still ask for a number. they'll also try really hard not to answer in my experience, which is obnoxious a f

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Winty posted:

seconding what others have said, this means they said the number first so you already won this round. just say something non-committal back like “well i’m optimistic that we can find an agreement on compensation once i learn more about the position/benies/etc” (and not “yes i will gladly accept 115”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

yes this is what i mean. there are a lot of recruiters who will immediately ask for your resume & salary expectations the moment you respond to their first message on linkedin. tell those guys to gently caress off

also tell any recruiter who asks for salary expectations at any other stage that you’re not ready to talk compensation yet. if they press it ask them to give you their pay band if they’re concerned you aren’t aligned. if they still press then tell them to have a nice day and end the conversation. full stop.

anyone who’s in this thread asking for advice should follow the above. anyone who’s savvy enough at both negotiating and their market isn’t asking for advice itt