Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's ok generation Beta will be largely resistant to covid and very small lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
My bf’s mom just got her first dose of Pfizer today! She was able to get an appointment as a frontline worker through a local hospital. They never asked her to prove anything so this whole thing is pretty much based on the honor system. Not sure how to feel about that, our local news compared it to “The Hunger Games.” lol

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

So fwiw my s/o had Covid back in March (health care worker in the UK) and she just got an antibody test done which shows 0 antibodies detected.

Welp that’s my story.
Was she tested back in March?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Any thoughts on the safety of going to an outdoor camp over the summer? It's on an island in New Hampshire, everything is outdoors only except for 2 person cabins (which are deep cleaned between campers), meals are six feet apart, people are required to wear masks if they are near people not in their party. This is in July, so there is a chance I'll be vaccinated, but probably not
I'm leaning towards not doing it, but I'd really like to

I've got friends and family in New Hampshire and basically the further north you are the better off you are. The area close to Boston is awful but if you're north of Concord you're probably fine. The only cases in my parents' county have been isolated incidents that happened towards the beginning of things.

Then again, for a camp people will be coming from all over. I'd worry about that part.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Any thoughts on the safety of going to an outdoor camp over the summer? It's on an island in New Hampshire, everything is outdoors only except for 2 person cabins (which are deep cleaned between campers), meals are six feet apart, people are required to wear masks if they are near people not in their party. This is in July, so there is a chance I'll be vaccinated, but probably not
I'm leaning towards not doing it, but I'd really like to

To me as a foreigner, what's "an outdoor camp" in this context? Is this a thing where you rent a cabin for a few weeks and just hang out, or is it some kind of activity-based "camp" with organized communal hugging sessions or something?

I didn't get the "meals are six feet apart" thing. Are they indoors? (Cause then hell no, don't go.)

Propaganda Machine posted:

I've got friends and family in New Hampshire and basically the further north you are the better off you are. The area close to Boston is awful but if you're north of Concord you're probably fine. The only cases in my parents' county have been isolated incidents that happened towards the beginning of things.

Then again, for a camp people will be coming from all over. I'd worry about that part.

Are you saying you know how many cases each area will have in July?

Do tell the rest of us.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Was she tested back in March?

Yes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

After putting it off for weeks my boss is finally putting his foot down and demanding that we mandate people start coming into our lab to work in person again because he thinks it makes him (not us, him) look bad because all of his employees are at home. Tensions are already high, we just found out nobody's getting pay raises until maybe next January, and people (including myself lol) are already looking to get out of the department so we've been saying all this is going to do is piss people off enough to expedite the process but he doesn't really seem to care. I think half the people I work with are immunocompromised and will be getting doctor's notes to say they can't come in for regular work in an office yet so in the end it's going to do nothing but make everyone absolutely clear that their boss doesn't give a poo poo about them or their well-being.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

explosivo posted:

After putting it off for weeks my boss is finally putting his foot down and demanding that we mandate people start coming into our lab to work in person again because he thinks it makes him (not us, him) look bad because all of his employees are at home. Tensions are already high, we just found out nobody's getting pay raises until maybe next January, and people (including myself lol) are already looking to get out of the department so we've been saying all this is going to do is piss people off enough to expedite the process but he doesn't really seem to care. I think half the people I work with are immunocompromised and will be getting doctor's notes to say they can't come in for regular work in an office yet so in the end it's going to do nothing but make everyone absolutely clear that their boss doesn't give a poo poo about them or their well-being.

How are you doing labwork from home?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pro starcraft loser posted:

How are you doing labwork from home?

We bring poo poo home with us as we need to. We also do go into the office when we need to to do testing if we can't so it's not like we've been ignoring stuff by sitting around at home. We have been getting a ton of work done, most of us spend a day or two in the lab a week regardless because we have to, so it's just lovely for him to demand we make it official.

Edit: My home office looks like an Office Max, I have so much hardware strewn about.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

MarcusSA posted:

So fwiw my s/o had Covid back in March (health care worker in the UK) and she just got an antibody test done which shows 0 antibodies detected.

Welp that’s my story.

As I understand it, the body doesn't like keeping a bunch of antibodies running all the time, so it phases them out when they're no longer actively needed. Instead of being in a constant state of red alert, it uses memory B cells to keeps the knowledge of how to "re-arm" you with the appropriate antibodies as needed. If your s/o was infected early last year, it's reasonable that she'd be in the "no antibodies, all memory B" stage, at least from my layman's understanding.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

explosivo posted:

Yeah, my company are pulling the same poo poo ('should work from home when possible' means 'come into the office and sit next to the wierdo covid denialist who never washes his hands'), and have told us noone is getting pay rise or bonus this year. Whole company has been putting in a huge effort for many many months and profits are up so it's a lovely decision. Joke is on them - the work and training I've done from home last year means I'm worth about 50% more than I was 3 years ago when I started, and I have 2 fully remote job offers in hand and hopefully another by the end of this week.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Kestral posted:

As I understand it, the body doesn't like keeping a bunch of antibodies running all the time, so it phases them out when they're no longer actively needed. Instead of being in a constant state of red alert, it uses memory B cells to keeps the knowledge of how to "re-arm" you with the appropriate antibodies as needed. If your s/o was infected early last year, it's reasonable that she'd be in the "no antibodies, all memory B" stage, at least from my layman's understanding.

It depends, for some things you're supposed to have antibodies in your blood forever, or at least for a long time. E.g. I had to have a hepatitis antibody test after getting the vaccine like 10 years ago, and there were a lot of antibodies still.

Coronavirus antibodies generally disappear more quickly, but that doesn't mean immunity disappears as well. There's the T-cell / B-cell stuff, and apparently some people get over covid without creating antibodies in the first place.

We don't know too much about covid immunity yet, the best guess is that complete immunity only lasts a couple of months, but reinfections are generally mild (but not always, a few people have died from reinfections). But evidence is limited so far.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To me as a foreigner, what's "an outdoor camp" in this context? Is this a thing where you rent a cabin for a few weeks and just hang out, or is it some kind of activity-based "camp" with organized communal hugging sessions or something?

I didn't get the "meals are six feet apart" thing. Are they indoors? (Cause then hell no, don't go.)

Do tell the rest of us.

Snark will get you everywhere in life, but the threat level has been very consistent almost since the beginning.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
EU has approved the shipment of vaccine to Australia so the Pfizer rollout is on track to go ahead on time.

quote:

Trade Minister Dan Tehan says Australia's COVID-19 vaccine program is on track to kick off in the next few weeks after the European Union officially approved a request to ship doses.

The vaccine shipments are expected to arrive in Australia "towards the end of February".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-11/coronavirus-austalia-live-news-february-11/13142106

WHO guidance for AZ vaccine is now in line with that of the manufacturer and recommends an interval of 8-12 weeks between doses.

quote:

In its interim guidance, the organisation found the vaccine has efficacy of 63 per cent and recommended the two doses be given between eight and 12 weeks apart for greater protection.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-11/who-scientists-recommend-astrazeneca-vaccine-for-all-ages/13142930

Australia's plan to have everyone vaccinated by October was based on the assumption that the doses of vaccine would be given a couple of weeks apart. It will be interesting to see whether the government sticks to that plan or goes with the science and revises it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Atopian posted:

If governments were willing to take even the slightest measures that might go against capital, then this whole situation wouldn't be so serious to begin with.

This isn't a number-go-up-thing so much as it is absolute, idiotic short-sightedness. The security guard moonlighting for Uber getting infected resulted in a 5-day lockdown for 2 million people and state borders being closed again (so cancelled flights, holidays etc). The economic damage from that five days alone, not to mention the other restrictions as Perth eases out of it and the lack of consumer confidence as people still feel wary of going out to restaurants etc, would be vastly greater than whatever the total sum would be of paying security guards, I dunno, 8k a month.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Do tell the rest of us.

You get a cabin, meals are outdoors with people in your 'pod' (the one other person in your cabin, or your family), and they're 6 feet apart
Did I say I would know how many cases each area would have in July?

freebooter posted:

This isn't a number-go-up-thing so much as it is absolute, idiotic short-sightedness. The security guard moonlighting for Uber getting infected resulted in a 5-day lockdown for 2 million people and state borders being closed again (so cancelled flights, holidays etc). The economic damage from that five days alone, not to mention the other restrictions as Perth eases out of it and the lack of consumer confidence as people still feel wary of going out to restaurants etc, would be vastly greater than whatever the total sum would be of paying security guards, I dunno, 8k a month.

the same thing applies to climate change but who cares when you can externalize the cost :capitalism:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thom Yorke raps posted:

the same thing applies to climate change but who cares when you can externalize the cost :capitalism:

The other thing that really strikes me about the pandemic being analogous to climate change is the focus on mask wearing as an abrogation of the state's responsibility to its citizens. Yes, you should wear a mask/try to cut down on individual carbon use; but no, an individual's personal choices are not going to stop this ball rolling.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yeah, I didn't say that the wishes of capital were rational / productive / sane. They're self-evidently self-destructive, but they're also very clear.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

explosivo posted:

We bring poo poo home with us as we need to. We also do go into the office when we need to to do testing if we can't so it's not like we've been ignoring stuff by sitting around at home. We have been getting a ton of work done, most of us spend a day or two in the lab a week regardless because we have to, so it's just lovely for him to demand we make it official.

Edit: My home office looks like an Office Max, I have so much hardware strewn about.

I would wonder if you were one of my teammates if you didn't mention a male boss and being forced to go in. My teammates and I are usually going in once or twice a week to work in our lab for what we can't do at home, max two at a time, and bring the rest home with us. It's frustrating not to be able to pop in and out of the lab as needed but it's worked-ish.

We're not an analytical lab so I've been sending out a lot of samples to Eurofins over the last year. 😬

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lolie posted:

Australia's plan to have everyone vaccinated by October was based on the assumption that the doses of vaccine would be given a couple of weeks apart. It will be interesting to see whether the government sticks to that plan or goes with the science and revises it.

I don't think it'll make much difference. You'll just start the latter groups of people sooner, with more overlap between groups, than if you had it at 2 weeks between doses. Take 6 groups, 1-6, with each group taking 2 week to receive 1 dose, and wanting to space them 12 weeks apart instead of 2. Instead of going 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6 you'll go 1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6.

This is why the UK trialled longer times between dosage in the first place, after all - in instance #1, after 12 weeks only half the group have protection, however in instance #2 all of the group has (marginally decreased, but still substantial) protection.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

You get a cabin, meals are outdoors with people in your 'pod' (the one other person in your cabin, or your family), and they're 6 feet apart
Did I say I would know how many cases each area would have in July?

You didn't, I was quoting Propaganda Machine.

OK if there are no indoor activities with strangers, that doesn't sound any more dangerous than living wherever you are at now, does it? Assuming you travel there and back by car, etc, shouldn't be any risk factor, combined with the generally lower risks in summer.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

There was mention in this thread something about how vaccine studies had categorized symptomatic patients differently leading to different effectiveness results (or something like that). Anyone point me to what that was all about? I'm trying to remember details, but my memory sucks

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
NC's going to start vaccinating teachers and child-care workers starting Feb 24th:

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/n...2c-ffce24db5b5d

The PDF with specifics:

https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/vaccines/Deeper-Dive-Moving-to-Group-3.pdf

quote:

Other frontline workers in Group 3 like law enforcement, firefighters, grocery store workers, etc., will be eligible for the vaccine starting March 10.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There was mention in this thread something about how vaccine studies had categorized symptomatic patients differently leading to different effectiveness results (or something like that). Anyone point me to what that was all about? I'm trying to remember details, but my memory sucks

The thing I remember is just that not all vaccines are great at preventing "any symptomatic covid", but all of the ones that have been approved are pretty great at preventing hospitalization and death*. E.g. the Sinovac vaccine has only just above 50% effectiveness at preventing covid, but that includes asymptomatic and very mild cases. It's very effective at preventing hospitalization and death. On the other hand, the big MRNA vaccines didn't really test for asymptomatic cases at all, but they're 95% effective at preventing symptomatic covid, including mild cases.

* The caveat here is that not all vaccines have been tested against the South Africa variant of the virus. Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J have, and AZ seems to be much less effective against it. The others look good, though!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We have some very preliminary data from Israel that seems to suggest thr first dose of the Pfizer vaccine significantly reduces viral loads which is great news for cutting down on the spread. Waiting on better data since their methods are a bit weak and the spread was huge (somewhere between 1.6x and 20x reduction) but I'll take good news where I can get it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pidan posted:

The thing I remember is just that not all vaccines are great at preventing "any symptomatic covid", but all of the ones that have been approved are pretty great at preventing hospitalization and death*. E.g. the Sinovac vaccine has only just above 50% effectiveness at preventing covid, but that includes asymptomatic and very mild cases. It's very effective at preventing hospitalization and death. On the other hand, the big MRNA vaccines didn't really test for asymptomatic cases at all, but they're 95% effective at preventing symptomatic covid, including mild cases.

* The caveat here is that not all vaccines have been tested against the South Africa variant of the virus. Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J have, and AZ seems to be much less effective against it. The others look good, though!

From what I have read the lower effectiveness of Pfizer and Moderna (I've been focusing on the latter since that's the train I got on) against the variants is being presented as like 4x or 6x less effective, but you have to read further to see that is in relation to the baseline effectiveness in terms of immune response to OG covid, which generally is an overshoot.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Was able to get on a list to get Moderna in the next couple of days, months ahead of schedule. Pretty glad about that, but I'm sure it's because there are so many people here who outright refuse to get vaccinated because of conspiracy theory bullshit.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I have an opportunity to get the vaccine through work. I only directly work with a few people a day, and very little close contact. I don't do anything else except go to the grocery, where masking is 100%.

Mid thirties, nothing that would put me ay higher risk and generally in good health. I'm not signing up not because I don't believe in it, but I feel that dose could be used to better protect someone more vulnerable/has more potential exposure. At least on this first pass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Justin Credible posted:

I have an opportunity to get the vaccine through work. I only directly work with a few people a day, and very little close contact. I don't do anything else except go to the grocery, where masking is 100%.

Mid thirties, nothing that would put me ay higher risk and generally in good health. I'm not signing up not because I don't believe in it, but I feel that dose could be used to better protect someone more vulnerable/has more potential exposure. At least on this first pass.

You are a well‐intentioned fool.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Platystemon posted:

You are a well‐intentioned fool.

I live by myself as well, and my apartments don't have central air. I don't doubt I'm a fool, but if I'm making a legit dumb decision please tell me why.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
feeling pretty frustrated; seeing lots of folks getting vaccinated on social media, but there's no end in sight for me despite doing IT support for a dozen COVID testing sites. I work at a university that stubbornly brought most of their incoming freshman to campus, and cases among them are doubling every week. they found two cases of the English strain here this week, too. it's impossible to get information out of anyone, and every day I'm there in person is more uncomfortable than the last

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Take the vaccine, you're not going to make the logistics any better by making them come back around for you on another pass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Take the vaccine, you're not going to make the logistics any better by making them come back around for you on another pass.

Yeah just take it if they are offering it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Justin Credible posted:

I live by myself as well, and my apartments don't have central air. I don't doubt I'm a fool, but if I'm making a legit dumb decision please tell me why.

We need to get as many people vaccinated as fast as possible. The main bottleneck right now is not a scarcity of doses, but bad logistics. If you're vaccinated, you protect yourself and possibly others. Get vaccinated and make sure it doesn't go to waste.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I should probably clarify too; nothing currently available in my county this is a list for the future nebulous deployment whenever that happens, with no ETA from the health department.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Justin Credible posted:

Take it if they're offering it. You may not get the chance again, or at least not in enough time for it to matter otherwise. You have the option because other people are either already vaccinated or have denied the opportunity. You being vaccinated still helps overall, no matter what you work/living situation is because you truly cannot plan for every eventuality.

Take the goddamn vaccine, take it and cherish it. Only bad things come from not taking the opportunity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Justin Credible posted:

Take the vax

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Justin Credible posted:

Your dose will not go to someone better deserving. That would have been true if you had jumped into 1A before medical workers.

At this point, the vaccine is going to people of the Right Demographics. If counties are found to be vaccinating undesirables like teachers, their supplies are stripped from them.

Get stuck and then channel your newfound guilt and immunity by volunteering at a food bank or some other good cause.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Justin Credible posted:

Justin Credible posted:

I should probably clarify too; nothing currently available in my county this is a list for the future nebulous deployment whenever that happens, with no ETA from the health department.

I was going to say you should get the vaccine, but if this is just getting on a waitlist then DEFINITELY get on it. Like others have said, the logistics are a huge barrier right now, and if you can get into the process it is one less piece of chaos. While I understand the humanitarian impulse, there are way too many variables and unknowns to make deferral a clearly ethical or beneficial decision. All things being equal it is better to reduce variables and that would be on the side with getting vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

There Bias Two posted:

The main bottleneck right now is not a scarcity of doses, but bad logistics.

Not true, not in all places at least. I just read on the news yesterday that Sweden has built-up vaccine centers with patients booked, who have to postpone appointments and more or less sit idle because the shipments are not arriving from the manufacturers at the promised rates. I'm sure this is the case in many other countries, too. The factories are just not churning out doses as fast as they could be delivered.