Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The "What's Streaming?" thread in CD recently got me hooked on watching the History channel reality competition show Alone. The basic premise is they take 10 people and drop them off with minimal supplies and no food into a spot where they try to survive as long as possible, they are filming everything themselves, and last person standing wins $500k. I had seen ads for it before but thought it looked dumb and never bothered to check it out, but the comment that sucked me in was "I get to watch a lot of dinguses that I hate suffer and it's putting the doomsday prepper stereotypes that I love to the test". It has this great mix of egotistical assholes (a bunch of them cops) who flame out on the very first day because they saw some bear poop and people with legit wilderness skills who demonstrate how incredibly miserable it actually is to try and survive alone in the wilderness. Highly recommended to followers of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

The "What's Streaming?" thread in CD recently got me hooked on watching the History channel reality competition show Alone. The basic premise is they take 10 people and drop them off with minimal supplies and no food into a spot where they try to survive as long as possible, they are filming everything themselves, and last person standing wins $500k. I had seen ads for it before but thought it looked dumb and never bothered to check it out, but the comment that sucked me in was "I get to watch a lot of dinguses that I hate suffer and it's putting the doomsday prepper stereotypes that I love to the test". It has this great mix of egotistical assholes (a bunch of them cops) who flame out on the very first day because they saw some bear poop and people with legit wilderness skills who demonstrate how incredibly miserable it actually is to try and survive alone in the wilderness. Highly recommended to followers of this thread.

Well I read Hatchet when I was 11, so I should be able to win this reality show no problem

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Colonel Cancer posted:

That got dark quickly

Also, always bring a flashlight/head torch. Duh.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

A gun is pretty unnecessary unless you plan on hitting the trail in Syria or strolling with wild abandon outside Joburg.

Maybe in bear country, but if you’re living in Alaska and wander around the wilderness there you probably shouldn’t listen to my advice.

You should especially not bring a gun to bear country. There's a fun study out there that shows it actually makes bear encounters more dangerous, presumably a side effect of the increased confidence of the people, but like, that bear don't care.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

You should especially not bring a gun to bear country. There's a fun study out there that shows it actually makes bear encounters more dangerous, presumably a side effect of the increased confidence of the people, but like, that bear don't care.

You're saying I shouldn't bring a gun to a bear fight? What should I bring then?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mobby_6kl posted:

You're saying I shouldn't bring a gun to a bear fight? What should I bring then?

A bigger bear.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PittTheElder posted:

I used to live in rural northern Idaho. The hiking trails up there all have big signs warning that bears are everywhere, with illustrations about how to recognize each type of bear, what to do if you see one, etc.

I'm definitely not an outdoors type, but most of my co-workers were. The kind of people who do multi-day camping and hiking trips in the mountain backwoods, and this was in the days before wide cell coverage, let alone cellphone GPS.

Every time the subject came up with any of them, the consensus was that a gun isn't particularly useful against a bear, but you never, ever go hiking in bear country without your dog.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know poo poo about guns, but I'd guess you'd need to be a real good shot to actually stop an attacking bear with just a handgun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I'm up in Alberta, you bring some sort of passive noise maker (not a loving Bluetooth speaker, don't be an rear end in a top hat) and some bearspray if you know how to use it. I've never even seen a bear on the trail for real, I assume it's working.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
somebody on the Lewis and Clark expedition managed to kill a charging grizzly with one shot, by firing directly down its throat, but even then they noted that this was not a generally practicable strategy

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a feeling the poster who originally brought up guns was talking about defending yourself from bigfoot or aliens

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
In Canada, Europe etc bear mace is the obvious default, one would not incorrectly assume Americans would go the other direction on what to pack.

Sirotan posted:

Reminds me of the original show called Lost (not the one on the island, this is where they dropped people off in the gobi desert and it was supposed to be an ‘amazing race’ type thing to figure out where they were and how to get back home). It was much less compelling tv than this Alone show sounds like, though

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The joke is the handgun is to use on your friend, allowing time for your escape.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Seconding the recommendation for Alone. The first season is a bit rough, but the second season onwards you're watching people with actual skills work their asses off to try and survive. Biggest change as far as I know is the first season they didn't tell the contestants where they were going, which meant they didn't know jack poo poo about what plants and animals lived there or were good to eat there. One guy pointed out that back in North Carolina, he's a loving expert that people consult to identify plants and insects and such because he knows the local flora and fauna inside and out. The later seasons people knew where they were headed, so they were able to read guidebooks and such.

It's so so good. The contestants self-film everything with tripods and gopro's and are completely on their own. So there's no contests, no judges, no immunity, no fan favorites. Just a bunch of hungry people trying to hold out longer than the other guys. Also the contestants don't know how many other people are still in the field. They got dropped off, they have the supplies they were allowed to take, if you want to win, stay there until we come get you and tell you you won. If you want to go home, just push the button on your satphone and they'll extract you. In some places some kinds of wildlife are protected species so they're off limits, but other than that you're welcome to try to kill and eat anything you can get your hands on.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
guns make bear encounters more dangerous because a katana ends them too quick.

You ever leave a grizzly in two equally confused halves after an 飛 ひ 天 てん 五 ご 連 れん 撃 げき(Flying Heaven Five Chain Attack)? No time for a fight at all

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Rectal Death Adept posted:

guns make bear encounters more dangerous because a katana ends them too quick.

You ever leave a grizzly in two equally confused halves after an 飛 ひ 天 てん 五 ご 連 れん 撃 げき(Flying Heaven Five Chain Attack)? No time for a fight at all

What if the bear has a katana?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Agreed Alone is good. It's much less Bear Grylls I DRANK MY PISS!!!!! I'M A MACHO WARRIOR!!!! than I was originally expecting. Most of the time the winning move is just to conserve energy and see who can handle losing the most weight.

It hasn't been tried as much as it should be, but the true winning move imo is to go in fat, as fat as you can while being functional. After that you just have to not gently caress up big like losing your firestarter or cutting your hand open and not go crazy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I'm up in Alberta, you bring some sort of passive noise maker (not a loving Bluetooth speaker, don't be an rear end in a top hat) and some bearspray if you know how to use it. I've never even seen a bear on the trail for real, I assume it's working.

My dad used to work up north in BC and his work had him carry bear bangers as well as bear spray. If you haven't run into one before, they're like flares (fired from a flare gun) but they travel a short distance and then explode with a sharp bang. They're banned in national parks though.

I don't believe he ever had to use one on a bear, but he showed us once when we were out fishing. (We didn't fish much so it might have been the same trip where he spotted a griz footprint by the river... filling in with water. He hustled us back to the car real quick once he noticed.)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

I got a feeling the poster who originally brought up guns was talking about defending yourself from bigfoot or aliens

lol everyone knows Bigfoot is bulletproof, use yer head!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Alone taught me that the way to deal with bears is to just yell “Hey Bear!” at them and you’ll be fine.

Also the second season winner totally won because he had extra weight to lose.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
alone really is a pretty good show. I remember one season a dude was hoarding fish but wouldnt eat any and then he lost too much weight and had to leave.

Another season a dude killed a really large animal with a knife it was intense. He made a raised platform for the meat and with a removeable ladder and everything but wolverines still got into it and ate all the fat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Alone taught me that the way to deal with bears is to just yell “Hey Bear!” at them and you’ll be fine.

Sometimes the bear just wants to ruin your day though https://youtu.be/B3qhEIZBlX8

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

That's literally how any animal species (but especially humans) survives, good on him

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

Sometimes the bear just wants to ruin your day though https://youtu.be/B3qhEIZBlX8

imagine trying to karen a bear

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
To be clear, every week or 10 days they have a couple production people go to all the different locations and do a checkup on everyone. If your weight gets below a certain threshold, they will pull you, period. Sometimes it super sucks season 3, but it's a good move since there are people who would starve themselves to death if you let them make the call.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

alone really is a pretty good show. I remember.
You might want to spoiler it if you want people to watch it. It's one of the few shows where I think spoiling actually matters

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 10, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do the people on that show cooperate or are they all individually alone?

Because the best piece of advice I ever heard about wilderness survival is that the #1 best most effective tactic is to not be alone, and the less alone you are, the better your survival chances are.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Leperflesh posted:

Do the people on that show cooperate or are they all individually alone?

Because the best piece of advice I ever heard about wilderness survival is that the #1 best most effective tactic is to not be alone, and the less alone you are, the better your survival chances are.

They are all individually alone and separated by water or mountains so they can't hike to one another.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Like the name of the show, they are alone.

(There is one season where everyone is pairs, not individuals -- you apply with your sibling, spouse, whatever)

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Anne Whateley posted:

To be clear, every week or 10 days they have a couple production people go to all the different locations and do a checkup on everyone. If your weight gets below a certain threshold, they will pull you, period. Sometimes it super sucks season 3, but it's a good move since there are people who would starve themselves to death if you let them make the call.

You might want to spoiler it if you want people to watch it. It's one of the few shows where I think spoiling actually matters

Also though, the med checkups are no-nonsense physical health inspections. They don't chat with a host and get told how well they're doing and get a pep talk. It's like, weight, blood pressure, listen to their lungs, they check them for sores or missing fingers or whatever, then they leave. No help at all, they're just there to make sure you're alive and to medically DQ you if necessary. It seemed to me the contestants dreaded the med checks since nothing good comes from them. Best case is they leave you alone so you can stay in the game.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

punishedkissinger posted:

imagine trying to karen a bear

Last year we had a tiny black bear walk right up to us and start nosing through our packs. Four of us standing less than 2m away and screaming at this thing to gently caress off and it just ignored us. It'd probably been without its mother for a very short time.

In hindsight we should have sprayed it so it'd learn human=bad time. But I'm sure one or two coworkers would think that's mean. Eventually it figured out we weren't going to feed it and it ran off towards town and probably a bullet. RIP dumb bear.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

The bear having a katana is meaningless if you are properly trained and skilled with the blade.

If you can't defeat a bear in a swordfight you really should be loving hiking now should you?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jr. posted:

This being the Everest thread and not Post Your Hiking Loadout, it sounded like someone was clowning OP for not having a PLB which while great, is very expensive, and shouldn't keep you from going out and actually learning to be a smart and proficient outdoorsperson (ie, avoid situations that require you to need a PLB). Just smacked of that gross hobby gatekeeping where if you don't have expensive gear you shouldn't bother. We all know gear does not a good adventurer make.

That was not my intent.

I’m just saying they’re neat devices and many people aren’t aware of their existence. There was talk of stashing a GPS receiver for emergencies, and I just don’t think a GPSr is that very useful when carried like that.

Leaving the GPSr on eats batteries, but I recommend planning for that and doing it because knowing where you are in the first place is preferable to trying to figure things out after you’re lost. Having a trail of “bread crumbs” marking the route you took is invaluable.

If you are unfamiliar with its use, or unfamiliar with where you need to be, or don’t have the right maps loaded, or rely overmuch on the map, or have injured yourself, or have hiked yourself into terrain where you can’t ascend or descend, it’s not going to do a lot for you. It’s of no use if you already know where you are and where you’re going but there’s some external factor imperilling you, like a swollen river blocking your way out.

There are of course situations where the opposite is true, where rescue will take many hours and a navigation aid could get you to shelter before conditions worsen. Every tool has limitations.

As helpful as these devices can be, nothing is a substitute for having an itinerary, telling someone about it, and sticking to it.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Platystemon posted:

That was not my intent.

I’m just saying they’re neat devices and many people aren’t aware of their existence. There was talk of stashing a GPS receiver for emergencies, and I just don’t think a GPSr is that very useful when carried like that.

Leaving the GPSr on eats batteries, but I recommend planning for that and doing it because knowing where you are in the first place is preferable to trying to figure things out after you’re lost. Having a trail of “bread crumbs” marking the route you took is invaluable.

If you are unfamiliar with its use, or unfamiliar with where you need to be, or don’t have the right maps loaded, or rely overmuch on the map, or have injured yourself, or have hiked yourself into terrain where you can’t ascend or descend, it’s not going to do a lot for you. It’s of no use if you already know where you are and where you’re going but there’s some external factor imperilling you, like a swollen river blocking your way out.

There are of course situations where the opposite is true, where rescue will take many hours and a navigation aid could get you to shelter before conditions worsen. Every tool has limitations.

As helpful as these devices can be, nothing is a substitute for having an itinerary, telling someone about it, and sticking to it.

We good, I agree completely. Learn to use a compass/paper map, leave an itinerary, stick to your plans, check the weather, don't deviate from trails, have a plan, and pack extra batteries. I wish I had a PLB :(

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The bear having a katana is meaningless if you are properly trained and skilled with the blade.

If you can't defeat a bear in a swordfight you really should be loving hiking now should you?

Basically this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

Then there's a big shower of blood when you cut it in half.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Anne Whateley posted:

Agreed Alone is good. It's much less Bear Grylls I DRANK MY PISS!!!!! I'M A MACHO WARRIOR!!!! than I was originally expecting. Most of the time the winning move is just to conserve energy and see who can handle losing the most weight.

It hasn't been tried as much as it should be, but the true winning move imo is to go in fat, as fat as you can while being functional. After that you just have to not gently caress up big like losing your firestarter or cutting your hand open and not go crazy.

The best move is not to be in the military. One dude instantly bailed at the start as soon as he saw evidence of bears being around.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The best move is not to be in the military. One dude instantly bailed at the start as soon as he saw evidence of bears being around.

That's hilarious, do you have a link to this vid?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also don’t have a major life event scheduled to occur during the window of time you’re on the show, like a spouse giving birth, planning an adoption, leaving a deathly-ill family member, etc. Several people bail for very legit homesickness, but a few should probably never have entered the competition, like the one guy who is weeks away from adopting 3 kids with his wife and has a panic attack about it a few days in to the show.

Alone is great and worth your time. All the seasons are on Hulu if you want to check them out.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Outrail posted:

That's hilarious, do you have a link to this vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAQ1dTfcgU

He went from macho man "I'm a cop so I'm used to dealing with animals" :smug: to "I'm not here to compete with wildlife" in record time.

I wish I could find the paper I read a few years back about bear attacks (brown and black). The main takeaway was, don't surprise the bear. There was some correlation with being near streams, since it's hard to hear one another. Dogs, of course, are also an issue. I've seen many bears, even had one or two snuffle around my tent in the Sierra before I knew anything about good bear hygiene, and that's been that. A friend had his food stolen a few years ago but he's kind of an idiot and did a lovely hang against the tree instead of using a canister or a better hanging method. He was also around a high-traffic area, which habituates the bears to an easy meal.

Also, anecdata: among my group of friends who climb, backpack, ski, mountaineer, ski-mountaineer, etc., there's about a dozen ACL tears (all at resorts, though), about half a dozen climbing accidents ranging from calcaneus fractures to death (1), and one lightning strike (he lived and still climbs). Literally zero attacks by bears or other wildlife.

Well, except robber jays, but they are right bastards.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Oh boy

https://twitter.com/newsweek/status/1359573144630161413?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAQ1dTfcgU

He went from macho man "I'm a cop so I'm used to dealing with animals" :smug: to "I'm not here to compete with wildlife" in record time.

they sent people out to fend for themselves in bear territory? i find that hard to believe.