Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Liquid Communism posted:

It sits poorly because everything Dick does is presented as objectively and morally correct. Even when he fucks up, it's because he's being held back by others or was secretly right all along.

That's also true.

He's a self-made man, who didn't have no help from anybody except 5000 years of prophecy and countless people before him who existed solely to lay their brick in the foundation of his life one way or another. drat near the only skills he ever came by honestly in his life were whatever levels in Ranger he had taken before the series began, and those took a backseat to magic and prophecy pretty early in.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

how old was the girl? 6?

I'm thinking between 9-12. Old enough to be a mouthy little poo poo. And of course she was an evil spoiled princess, so she was extra lovely, which is why Dick was justified in kicking out her teeth.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Didn't he kick her in the jaw so hard she bit half her tongue off?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JcDent posted:

Didn't he kick her in the jaw so hard she bit half her tongue off?

I can't recall. I don't think she lost tongue - just teeth -, but even if she did, I think her mom still had that one wizard on her payroll who could have Additive Magic'd it back.

She shows up again in the last few books in order to kidnap and torture Rachel, before Rachel turns her picture magic against her and gets her eaten by a monster.

Edit: Hm, nope, looks like she did lose tongue afterall. Tongue, teeth, broken jaw.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 10, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Gratch lug Richard!!!!!!!!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Gratch lug Richard!!!!!!!!

Rach-arg.

Never forget that ancient wizards engineered a predatory species and let them kill and die for three thousand years so that some of them could show up for, as I recall, a single battle.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheCenturion posted:

Rach-arg.

Never forget that ancient wizards engineered a predatory species and let them kill and die for three thousand years so that some of them could show up for, as I recall, a single battle.

Like I said, the ancient wizards were possibly the greatest evil Rahworld ever possessed.

Random Old Timey Wizard: "Check it out! I just designed a new spell!" *drowns a bag of puppies stolen from loving homes*
Someone Else: "Oh sick, what's it do?"
ROTW: "Tells me which way is North."

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

Like I said, the ancient wizards were possibly the greatest evil Rahworld ever possessed.

Random Old Timey Wizard: "Check it out! I just designed a new spell!" *drowns a bag of puppies stolen from loving homes*
Someone Else: "Oh sick, what's it do?"
ROTW: "Tells me which way is North."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Never forget that ancient wizards built a magical subway system powered by the enslaved souls of whores, because nobody else is discreet enough to keep the travel logs private.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheCenturion posted:

Never forget that ancient wizards built a magical subway system powered by the enslaved souls of whores, because nobody else is discreet enough to keep the travel logs private.

Wasn't it powered solely by one prostitute, whom they murdered and converted into high-speed transit because the wizards were afraid she'd leak her client list?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

Wasn't it powered solely by one prostitute, whom they murdered and converted into high-speed transit because the wizards were afraid she'd leak her client list?

There's more in later books (post main series).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

the_steve posted:

I can't recall. I don't think she lost tongue - just teeth -, but even if she did, I think her mom still had that one wizard on her payroll who could have Additive Magic'd it back.

She shows up again in the last few books in order to kidnap and torture Rachel, before Rachel turns her picture magic against her and gets her eaten by a monster.

Edit: Hm, nope, looks like she did lose tongue afterall. Tongue, teeth, broken jaw.

Urgh dammit do you mind Goodkind that's my loving name and I don't like it being in your godawful books.

Ew.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

the_steve posted:

Angry Boardroom Wizard: This prostitute might release her client list, which includes all of us. How can we stop her?

Go-getter Wizard: Kill her?

Pragmatic Wizard: Put some sort of geas on her?

Bored Wizard: Enslave her soul and force her to service clients for all eternity?

Angry Boardroom Wizard: ...
Bored Wizard: ...

(Bored Wizard is now Employee of the Month)

Never forget that the ancient hot Witch Woman that wants to bang Richard was named 'Shota.'

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 10, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

TheCenturion posted:

Never forget that the ancient hot Witch Woman that wants to bang Richard was named 'Shota.'

I wish I could forget.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I didn't know the relevance, so I googled it and immediately regretted it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gschmidl posted:

There's more in later books (post main series).

Ah, that explains it. I have personally concluded in my head that all of the series ends after the main series.
Zedd and Cara aren't dead, the story is concluded, I have no more need to read further, nope, no sir :colbert:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Never forget that ancient wizards compelled an entire tribe of people to spend three thousand years waiting in perpetual stagnation so that one day Richard could show up and slaughter 30 of them as a fighting tutorial to unlock a new skill tree, when they could have just arranged for him to find a goddamn instruction manual.

(If I have to remember all of these things, you all have to, too. Suffer, as I have suffered.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

Ah, that explains it. I have personally concluded in my head that all of the series ends after the main series.

This is the correct approach, it gets SO much worse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

for reals though if you want some brainless xena style action, legend of the seeker legit owns

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

for reals though if you want some brainless xena style action, legend of the seeker legit owns

I think the biggest point in its favor was the fact that Terry hated it.
It's been brought up in this thread before, he equated the show to watching his daughter get physically assaulted.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I remember calling it 'Scrawny Hercules' at the time, but yeah, it was a legit example of the genre.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the_steve posted:

It's been brought up in this thread before, he equated the show to watching his daughter get physically assaulted.

oh my god he is just so loving precious

or should i say, was

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

I thought he got off on that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

gschmidl posted:

I thought he got off on that.

Only if its his wife.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It did loving rule, it was so stupid and incredibly Xena in the best ways

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Say what you like about Terry, but I did steal one of his ideas for Stellaris, in that the Zro resource is the remains of Psionic aliens who sacrificed themselves, like the Wizard sand in the barrier towers.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Precursors#Precursor_civilizations

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I’m sure if we go digging terry adapted the idea from someone else.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Never forget that some magic is powered by the ashes of wizard suicide bombers.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Darkrenown posted:

Say what you like about Terry, but I did steal one of his ideas for Stellaris, in that the Zro resource is the remains of Psionic aliens who sacrificed themselves, like the Wizard sand in the barrier towers.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Precursors#Precursor_civilizations

Like I said a bunch of times before, Terry had a few good ideas, they were just buried under layers and layers and layers of lovely writing, terrible execution, and rape fantasies, but there were a few legitimately decent bits here and there. Just nowhere near enough to ever come close to offsetting the awfulness.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Well if he doesn't like it maybe he can bootstrap himself back to life and do something about it :smug:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TheCenturion posted:

I remember calling it 'Scrawny Hercules' at the time, but yeah, it was a legit example of the genre.
Its really facinating to watch how book long storylines are effortlessly adapted into functing tv episode A plots while an entire original B plot is woven in that invariably ties in thematically with the A plot than anything in the books.

Like okay sure we're going to do the Mord Sith torture plot but lets tone down the bdsm a bit, have kahlan actually come and rescue him so we get some agency and a plot involving Kahlan pretending to be a Mord Sith. Then you get to put Richard under pressure to break the Sith Magic control when hes ordered to kill Kahlan, while simultaneously Richard begs Kahlan to confess him, which ties into the earlier B plot where Kahlan left Richard, scared that she may destroy him with her power. That led into a B plot where Kahlan joins another Confessor in a village, only to descover all the inhabitants are in her thrawl. So we have a parallel between the Mord Sith power of control and Kahlans fears about her own powers potential for harm (which also thematically connects to Kahlan impersonating a Mord Sith earlier in the episode).

Anyway theres a fight which ends with richard overcoming Denna's control and fatally stabbing her to stop her from killing Kahlan. The episode then bookends with Kahlan finally coming clean with richard about being a Confessor and a sting revealing that Denna used the Mord Siths power over Life and death to play dead and she'll be back as a recurring villain.

Its not shakespeare, but it is striking just how easy they made adapting complete dogshit into something that counts as a passable TV show and for the most part they do it using concepts and themes present but unutilized in the actual books.

Also Zedd is like the absolute perfect wizard performance I love it so much. Zedd is the best character in the books and Bruce Spence knocks it out of the park. S2E13 - Princess is an absolutely phenominal comedy of manners where Zedd has to impersonate a dutchess and coach Cara through impersonating a princess in a court where all women of high status are expected to talk in a spesific form of rhyming verse. They have to do this to rescue Kahlan from execution. Its the legend of the seeker version of that one bit where they go to the castle to try and get box of orden from the first book and its magnificent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's also totally unashamed about giving a ton of eye candy both male and female, and having a ton of NZ actors hamming it up

It's a b-show and knows it and embraces it fully

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I've only partially read the first book (I learned of the series only after being told it was bad actually) but I've been reading through a bunch of the earlier posts in this thread and I'm at the part where END ME SCOOB starts reading book 4. And I agree, Cara is the best character so far. As someone who grew up in a very stifling environment where love felt conditional I've always had a weakness for the archetype of the former authoritarian hench(wo)man who has to discover and readjust to freedom and people loving them unconditionally.

And I think that that helps make Cara such an appealing character in general, because it's a fairly complex characterization that has a fair amount of depth to it. That's something that's missing in a lot of other characters I've seen so far.

On a more meta-level, she's representative of Richard not getting to remake the world in his perfect image. All too often in political tracts like this you get the mouthpiece's views being universally accepted and celebrated except by the antagonists (because the author believes all their preferences are inherently superior). That clearly happens a lot with the Sword of Truth, but Cara (and the other Mord-Sith with her) seems to be the one instance of someone telling Richard that he can have everyone obey him perfectly, or he can give people freedom, but freedom necessarily means people won't have to do exactly as he says or like the things he likes. And it's just so refreshing to see that when the series otherwise seems to make Richard's preferred breakfast be universally accepted as the best possible breakfast anyone could eat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheCenturion posted:

Never forget that ancient wizards compelled an entire tribe of people to spend three thousand years waiting in perpetual stagnation so that one day Richard could show up and slaughter 30 of them as a fighting tutorial to unlock a new skill tree, when they could have just arranged for him to find a goddamn instruction manual.

(If I have to remember all of these things, you all have to, too. Suffer, as I have suffered.)

Didn't he find an actual, for real, manual later on that had that info in it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No actually the best is Richie finding a book, creatively called Secrets of a War Wizard's Power, which is completely loving blank.

Deep

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Never forget than an ancient wizard laid out some clothes for Richard three thousand years ago, because he knew Richard’s dad would die young, and nobody else would teach Richard how to dress.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

I want to change my vote because I just remembered that the best Terry Goodkind moment is when he introduces a lesbian couple for the first time he has his two main characters (who are actually in a relationship everyone in the world previously thought was impossible) explain to them that while you can do whatever you want, gay relationships are totally unnatural because the creator was totally all about a man and a woman or whatever.

Then Goodkind kills one half of the relationship and she is never mentioned again.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Neal! posted:

I want to change my vote because I just remembered that the best Terry Goodkind moment is when he introduces a lesbian couple for the first time he has his two main characters (who are actually in a relationship everyone in the world previously thought was impossible) explain to them that while you can do whatever you want, gay relationships are totally unnatural because the creator was totally all about a man and a woman or whatever.

Then Goodkind kills one half of the relationship and she is never mentioned again.

Oof, I do not remember that one. I will consider myself fortunate.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's Denna and her partner Mord-Sith. I forget the woman's name.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's Denna and her partner Mord-Sith. I forget the woman's name.

Just looked it up and it was Raina (dead) and Berdine. Had that whole thing with Richard healing a lifetime of trauma through setting up a squrriel petting zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As Richard goes, that was pretty much saintly.