Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

When I was at uni the ice cream vans had some stiff competition from certain taxi companies. I remember getting a business card off one mobile entrepreneur that advertised "a swift, reliable service". It was, too.

more than one of the various Domino's stores I've worked in in my time had at least one low-level dealer using the job as cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Question IRL posted:

* = Other fun things I learned are it is very easy and legal to get a Brazilian drivers licence converted to an Irish drivers licence

Is this to avoid a mysterious man named Carteira de Habilitação becoming Ireland's most wanted road criminal?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most wanted road criminal/gay lover.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Is this to avoid a mysterious man named Carteira de Habilitação becoming Ireland's most wanted road criminal?

Ah Prawo Jazdy, your reign of terror has come to an end at last

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

* = Other fun things I learned are it is very easy and legal to get a Brazilian drivers licence converted to an Irish drivers licence and that so many Brazilian men found Ireland an easier place to be Out in than in conservative Brazil.

This is also the case in the UK (I think there's some shenanigans with Portuguese citizenship that means they can easily get an EU drivers license) with the result that Brazilians dominate the short-run courier market in London - it pays better than Deliveroo et. al. by quite a bit, but you have to have a total disregard for your own life because the deadlines are way, way tighter.

A more suspicious person would suspect that the really decent-paying dispatch jobs (blood running and long-distance) generally require commercial insurance, which in turn requires a full identity check (easily obtainable even for foreign nationals) which is why they're still being done by the same grumpy old cockney bastards as they were in the 80s.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is drug dealing still violent like a guy Ritchie movie or is it all much more civilized now?

My dad's story of when he reckons he was closest to dying as a young man was when he was driving an ice cream van in govan, was ram raided and he gave chase into a tenement building. But there was a drunk mob from a pub over the road that strung the guy up before he could stab anyone.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
How did all these ice cream vans deal with kids who wanted a 99 with a flake? The standard method round my end was just nondescript fords that drove you round the corner (in minecraft).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vagabong posted:

How did all these ice cream vans deal with kids who wanted a 99 with a flake? The standard method round my end was just nondescript fords that drove you round the corner (in minecraft).

Seems like an extreme way to deal with a kid just for asking for a Flake?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's a gateway thing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Vagabong posted:

Most of them do keep the regular facilities of the vans (especially for when the polis decide to have a look in too). They just happen to also have a secret menu.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobstar posted:

Is this a Breaking Bad reference?

For those wondering about the One Weird Trick with drivers licences, basically under Brazilian law there is a procedure for transferring your Brazilian drivers licence to a Portuguese licence.
Once you do that, you have a valid EU drivers licence and can exchange that for the National Licence of the country you are in.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ross kemp should do a documentary going around with those ice cream men who brave the snow imo

i would watch that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Question IRL posted:

Is this a Breaking Bad reference?

For those wondering about the One Weird Trick with drivers licences, basically under Brazilian law there is a procedure for transferring your Brazilian drivers licence to a Portuguese licence.
Once you do that, you have a valid EU drivers licence and can exchange that for the National Licence of the country you are in.

Note that that doesn't work anymore on account of Brexit.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The Guardian US fired Nathan Robinson for being anti-semitic i.e. joking about US/Israeli military funding. Surprising me, as I thought Guardian US was relatively free of the UK branches brain worms (terfs etc).

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The worms will be spreading both ways. I assume western culture war bullshit is loosely coordinated and the UK has shown that it is a very good stick to beat the left with. There's usually much more pushback in the US through, I assume because there's many more young jewish people who really don't like the way Israel is going.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'll bet that Ross Kemp (:manning:) would do a bit where he sat on a stack of a half a dozen 330ml tin cases in the back of the ice cream van staring down at the camera, talking about how tough it is for the icy man in this weather but how he just keeps going - still squeezes that red sauce out of the squeezy bottle onto the whippy ice cream despite his hands being cold and the sauce also being somewhat on the congealed side, because of the cold

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twisto I found the subject of your next megapost.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
On the million quid thing, isn't the whole thing about that level of money being that you can start to use it to generate more money for yourself rather than physically working for it.

So things like living off the interest is one route but also sticking it into things like investments, stocks, shares pensions and ISAs and whatnot too?

I'm kinda curious generally because my fiance and I are kinda at that point. We're approaching 40 have decent jobs but short of having our pensions (and i've got a halifax ISA) we haven't really thought about how to make the most of our money over the next 35 working years.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is also the case in the UK (I think there's some shenanigans with Portuguese citizenship that means they can easily get an EU drivers license)

While it was the case, post-Brexit I don't think you can trade an EU drivers licence in for a UK drivers licence.

In the last few months of 2020 the Irish Government were running an advertising campaign about how if you had a British Drivers licence you had to trade it in for an Irish one before the 31st as you couldn't afterwards.

Private Speech posted:

Note that that doesn't work anymore on account of Brexit.

Yes as far as I can tell it still works in all the EU, just not in the UK.
It was the sacrifice needed for Blue passports.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 10, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hot pie van in winter actually sounds pretty amazing. Ice cream in summer, hot drinks in spring/autumn, pukka pies and bovril in winter.
A year or two ago I thought I might see if I could get a stall at the local street parade (november) selling soup, because my wife hates chunks in soup so i have perfected a grated veg & red lentil soup recipe that can be drunk like a smoothie.

Then I remembered that I am tremendously depressed and have zero motivation, so didn't. But I still think getting a nice thing of soup at something like a xmas market would be nice.

An icecream van but for hot soup would be incredible, I'm just trying to imagine what you would use instead of chimes to signal to people 'the soup man cometh.'

Kin posted:

On the million quid thing, isn't the whole thing about that level of money being that you can start to use it to generate more money for yourself rather than physically working for it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

So things like living off the interest is one route but also sticking it into things like investments, stocks, shares pensions and ISAs and whatnot too?

I'm kinda curious generally because my fiance and I are kinda at that point. We're approaching 40 have decent jobs but short of having our pensions (and i've got a halifax ISA) we haven't really thought about how to make the most of our money over the next 35 working years.

Interest rates on 'retail' money being what they are, £1m in an ISA paying 0.9% will get you £9k interest p.a.
If you get into stocks & shares or other ISA types (or non-ISA) or novel types of investment, you run the risk of the lot dropping the day before you retire.
In 2007 I put £7k in a stocks & shares ISA. In 2008 I watched in dismay as it turned into £4.2k. It took another 4 years to recover back to £7k.
But in the mid 2000s, regular interest rates in a building society were around 5 or 6%.

If you have savings, keep enough in a 'regular' savings account to keep you covered for whatever you consider a reasonable amount of time whether that's 6 months or a year or more.

Bear in mind that as you approach 50 it becomes harder and harder to even get an interview for a job let alone get a job so if you were to lose your job you might have to last out a lot longer than you imagine from your savings. (And also remember that if you have more than £16k savings you won't be entitled to a penny piece of any sort of welfare assistance under the current rules. So on the one hand you are supposed to save for later life and on the other younger people hate you for having savings and if you fall on hard times before state pension age - for you I imagine it is around 68 or so - you will be required to use up your savings AND raid your pension plan until you have less than £16k to get anything or under £6k to get universal credit!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 10, 2021

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Regarde Aduck posted:

The worms will be spreading both ways. I assume western culture war bullshit is loosely coordinated and the UK has shown that it is a very good stick to beat the left with. There's usually much more pushback in the US through, I assume because there's many more young jewish people who really don't like the way Israel is going.

Mixed bag, phony rear end anti-semitism will not work in the US, largely because we actually have a big Jewish minority group (many of whom have long been active in left type causes).

But there is exactly one exception, and that's the topic of Israel. And wooooooof is it a gaping poo poo abyss.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Grape posted:

Mixed bag, phony rear end anti-semitism will not work in the US, largely because we actually have a big Jewish minority group (many of whom have long been active in left type causes).
Also they keep trying to pin the claim on a Jewish person. Not that that hasn't worked here, mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

An icecream van but for hot soup would be incredible, I'm just trying to imagine what you would use instead of chimes to signal to people 'the soup man cometh.'
Chimes are cold and sharp, like ice cream.

You need a warm sound. Like a delta resonator guitar. Soup blues.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enter Sandman but with sand replaced with soup.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Exit poop
Enter soup
Take my spoon
We're having minestrone soon

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Enter Sandman but with sand replaced with soup.

Enter Sandman by Pat Spoone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7EEHujbSM

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

Exit poop
Enter soup
Take my spoon

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Exit poop
Enter soup
Take my spoon

Kirk Ham and pea on bass

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think in a lot of cases it comes down to firmly held and well understood beliefs. Sayle's podcast brings up his parents anarchist beliefs and many discussions around the subject with them and with other people growing up. Lee brings up the welfare payments and university grants many of his contemporaries relied on living in squats.

I think you need to read his biographies- his parents were very far from being anarchists. They were members of the communist party.

I recommend " Thatcher Stole My Trousers ".

The reason I like Alexis Sayle is his belief in the free market for comedy. He despised the early 80s grant funded culture and believed that comedy should either work- people laugh and it pays or people don't laugh and you give up.

I think that belief works for entertainment. A lot less so for providing essential services like welfare, food, energy, housing and healthcare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the universal funding method for arts works better in the age of digitally distributed, on demand media. Where people who are bad at it are not taking up limited space that could go to people who are better at it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Lol funnily enough one of the ideas for a novel I was playing with for a while was basically a sort of steampunky Discworldy thing that had almost exactly this except it was just generic "meat" being sent to restaurants through high-pressure tubes, and they just chucked in bags of flavourings and pressed it into moulds to make sausages, pies, curries, etc. Same thing with carbs being turned into chips, rice, and a sort of soda stream arrangement for bread. I abandoned the idea because I was terrified of the sort of people who would like it.

(FWIW the reasoning behind it was it was a world where the internal combustion engine had never been invented and - after The Great Splat of 1907 - horses had also been banned from London, meaning *everything* had to be delivered by some sort of tube, and an engineer for the London Hydraulic Power Company was watching a sausage machine working and had A Great Idea)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVfwoKIWds

Richard Cheese has also done a version (inevitably).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol funnily enough one of the ideas for a novel I was playing with for a while was basically a sort of steampunky Discworldy thing that had almost exactly this except it was just generic "meat" being sent to restaurants through high-pressure tubes, and they just chucked in bags of flavourings and pressed it into moulds to make sausages, pies, curries, etc. Same thing with carbs being turned into chips, rice, and a sort of soda stream arrangement for bread. I abandoned the idea because I was terrified of the sort of people who would like it.

Stealing this for The Goon Game should we ever get to go to the pub together again :getin:

(Soylent Ruby Murray is elves!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I abandoned the idea because I was terrified of the sort of people who would like it.
alt.fan.twisto.tubes.potatos

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And now I have the meat planet stuck in my head so thankyou!

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

OwlFancier posted:

I've got the book this picture comes from. Pretty sure it's a Smith & Jones book.

Edit: I'm also not 100% sure that's not the picture I took myself some years back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It reminds me a lot of a book I had as a kid which was something like "how things work" and it had these absolutely beautiful two page illustrations of like, a washing machine, with little men and for some reason mammoths walking around in it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Way Things Work?

That's something I've not thought about in an age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The Way Things Work?

That's something I've not thought about in an age.

Yeah that's the art style. Looking it up it seems like they kept making them though I don't know if the art kept pace. I think my copy had like, one entry on microelectronics at the very back :v:

I think most of the drawings were also like this, where they turn it into an actually giant construction:

I feel like for a certain kind of child with a certain kind of brain these books are like heroin for how long you can look at the details on the pictures.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 11, 2021