Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Monkey Fracas posted:

OSHA Wa Mou Shindeiru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
https://twitter.com/_SayLee/status/1359029834597466112

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

what's that pay, around 36k a year?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
For the sake of those poor souls, I pray that Greta and Soros will cancel their jobs stat.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

boar guy posted:

what's that pay, around 36k a year?

Roughnecks and floorhands make more like 40-50k but it's still chump change for the amount of hard, skilled work and the risks. If you have a more specialized skill and/or some years experience it's more like 70-80k. Some positions can push further to 100k and beyond but there's usually only a couple of them, like the driller or toolpusher, or they're not always on site, like geologists and engineers. A lot of times the figures for the whole industry are averaged together though and it looks like oil drilling is a solid six-figure job. That's how they get those strong young bodies to grind up, just like promises from the Army recruiter.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ror posted:

Roughnecks and floorhands make more like 40-50k but it's still chump change for the amount of hard, skilled work and the risks. If you have a more specialized skill and/or some years experience it's more like 70-80k. Some positions can push further to 100k and beyond but there's usually only a couple of them, like the driller or toolpusher, or they're not always on site, like geologists and engineers. A lot of times the figures for the whole industry are averaged together though and it looks like oil drilling is a solid six-figure job. That's how they get those strong young bodies to grind up, just like promises from the Army recruiter.

yeah i was mostly just being cynical but that kind of work should pay commensurate with risk when obviously it doesn't

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ror posted:

Don't these jobs also have a schedule like 3 weeks on 2 weeks off something like that? So you could get your paycheck for the work period and it looks huge until you take into account that the money also has to last you during the time you're off. Or are they making salary instead of hourly?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IIRC someone who worked rigs mentioned that this is kind of an old-fashioned cowboy-rear end way of running a drill string and there are safer methods, though it's still hazardous work

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Of course it's being done that way.

safety third! :downs:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Space Kablooey posted:

At what point this is not a lightbulb anymore but turns into a space heater?

I've been trying to figure out why such a bulb is necessary, like is it part of a lighthouse or an artificial sun for a greenhouse, or what? Seems very elaborate for a one-off, has to be a commercial product. But for whom?

Also how do you tell your neighbor, "Maybe don't look outside around 6pm tonight. Not at my house, anyway."

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Another OSHA story; my dad was inspecting an FBI gun range and there were really high quantities of lead and my dad ordered it shut down and the FBI guy in charge said he'd take it under advisement and dad said shut it down or I come back with Marshalls and put you in cuffs. OSHA trumps FBI.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Phy posted:

IIRC someone who worked rigs mentioned that this is kind of an old-fashioned cowboy-rear end way of running a drill string and there are safer methods, though it's still hazardous work

Old Balls McGee or something like that is the username.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I've been trying to figure out why such a bulb is necessary, like is it part of a lighthouse or an artificial sun for a greenhouse, or what? Seems very elaborate for a one-off, has to be a commercial product. But for whom?

Also how do you tell your neighbor, "Maybe don't look outside around 6pm tonight. Not at my house, anyway."

Movie lighting.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

kntfkr posted:

Another OSHA story; my dad was inspecting an FBI gun range and there were really high quantities of lead and my dad ordered it shut down and the FBI guy in charge said he'd take it under advisement and dad said shut it down or I come back with Marshalls and put you in cuffs. OSHA trumps FBI.

How would a gun range not have a bunch of lead? Do you mean vaporized and in the air/water or something?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sentient Data posted:

How would a gun range not have a bunch of lead? Do you mean vaporized and in the air/water or something?

I'm guessing it's an air quality measurement.

Anecdotally, my dad was a firearms training instructor for the FBI for years and he was once told by his doctor that the lead content in his blood was way higher than normal/safe.

This could have been due to reloading ammo, not sure. Just one story of one man and his love of guns.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/UOFt484.mp4
“Welp, I definitely don’t get paid near enough to deal with this poo poo.”

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Indoor ranges are supposed to have ventilation and air filtration for filtering out lead particulates, but a lot of places just don't give a poo poo or last changed the filters in 1965.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I remember an outdoor range owner talking about how the county/state was being dicks to him, requiring him to get his soil tested and likely having to do remediation, and he couldnt grasp how having a shitload of lead by a creek is bad for the environment

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

I remember an outdoor range owner talking about how the county/state was being dicks to him, requiring him to get his soil tested and likely having to do remediation, and he couldnt grasp how having a shitload of lead by a creek is bad for the environment

reminds me of the killdozer guy...like illegally dumping oil and poo poo from his auto shop, refused to pay fees, the city was not happy, so his response was to go on a highly planned murder spree, because boomers gotta boom.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

reminds me of the killdozer guy...like illegally dumping oil and poo poo from his auto shop, refused to pay fees, the city was not happy, so his response was to go on a highly planned murder spree, because boomers gotta boom.

Don't forget refusing to pay to be connected to the city sewers and just making GBS threads in the creek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RkRTs9k7hY

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

LifeSunDeath posted:

I didnt know any of that and that certainly changes my view of him now

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

I didnt know any of that and that certainly changes my view of him now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU&t=730s

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Why are there so many chains

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

dunno but I've seen vids of those clamps suddenly kicking back and nearly knocking the guy's head off before.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

They are screwing the shaft sections together. Big chain on a winch twists the section on and off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You've never seen BDSM before?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

You've never seen BDSM before?

I don’t know that particular OSHA variant

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Control prequel lookin rustic

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

dog nougat posted:

:hmmyes:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

dog nougat posted:

Ye Olde House knows.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Isn't just the top surface heat treated?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc9FhQ7gL2Q

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slanderer posted:

Isn't just the top surface heat treated?

Not any more.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:capitalism:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UOFt484.mp4
“Welp, I definitely don’t get paid near enough to deal with this poo poo.”

What did this guy think was gonna happen, he was going to wrestle this guy down or something on this slippery windowed perch with no railings or fall guards? poo poo he's probably lucky that he DIDN'T catch this guy and one or both of them slipped or was yanked the wrong way and they fell to their death

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My favorite scene is at 7:24 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTiNYGnSVJ8

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm guessing it's an air quality measurement.

Anecdotally, my dad was a firearms training instructor for the FBI for years and he was once told by his doctor that the lead content in his blood was way higher than normal/safe.

This could have been due to reloading ammo, not sure. Just one story of one man and his love of guns.

HEY GUNS has posted in the military history thread about how every soldier in the 17th century had brain damage from casting lead bullets over campfires. Also the constant drinking.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PainterofCrap posted:

Not any more.

Phone posting but I only see weld beads along the bottom. Assuming the heat treated rails are the top flange the HAZ of the welds are no where near the top flange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm surprised that's an efficient way to store lumber, to say nothing of the danger.