Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Make sure you have it in some sort of writing that they are doing it for free. The worst would be a surprise $300 purchase and mounting fee before they let you pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

No poo poo, I'm really surprised they did that for you.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

gently caress that, I can barely look at an amal, let alone something with a remote bowl, let alone a loving wick carb.
Let me tell you about the 1925 Binks 2-jet I am working on, with an evenly-sized two piece split round throttle slide...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Let me tell you about the 1925 Binks 2-jet I am working on, with an evenly-sized two piece split round throttle slide...

Reply delayed due to uncontrollable eyelid twitching.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

T Zero posted:

I appreciate your concern. I assure you I'm taking this seriously.

Actually, I got some good news from the dealership - I called the salesman to explain the situation and sent him photos of the wheel (I also played the "It's my first bike :(" card). They are ordering an OEM wheel and will do the replacement at no cost. It'll take a few weeks though since shipping is backed up. I'm going to stick to doing figure-8s in a parking lot in the meantime.

Most excellent. Very glad the dealer is handling it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Slavvy posted:

This is exaclty how I see it, but in a positive way. Like yeah it's a garbage bike in 2020, but it's not a bike from 2020, or 2000, or 1980. It's a bike from 1937 and by those standards it is a fantastic machine in every respect. Royal enfield is the same - absolutely incredible bikes for 1960, that you can buy brand new, for gently caress all!

The newer Enfields are clean engine designs I thought? With fuel injection and everything?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This forum had it's own modern Royal Enfield owner; he had bought a brand new Himalayan.

It broke and went back to the dealer so many times in the first months of ownership that, well, personally, I'd never consider a Royal Enfield.

"Built like a gun". Right. One that explodes backwards into your face.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, and I think maybe they quit motorcycles over it? Never see them post anymore. The dealer ended up just giving him a new bike to replace his old one, but for the first year the bike would only get a little test ride before it was back in the shop. Not sure if the new bike started having issues too. Shame, because the new RE bikes look really good, and the company tried to turn over a new leaf a few years back.

This review made me really want a Conti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qXM_N34TI

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I got a Royal Enfield it would have to be a 500cc Bullet from India, so that yeah it might run like a tractor but it's been the same vehicle for 70 years and you can fix anything on it with aluminum cans and baling wire.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'd ride one around in India on a holiday.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

If I got a Royal Enfield it would have to be a 500cc Bullet from India, so that yeah it might run like a tractor but it's been the same vehicle for 70 years and you can fix anything on it with aluminum cans and baling wire.

This is one of those sentiments that seems valid on the surface, but the wisdom starts to fade after the 18th call for a flatbed because the local hardware store hasn't stocked nought-point-seven gauge baling wire or Rhodesian-thread backwards Pittman bolts in 70 years and nobody in the tri-county area knows how to operate nor owns a steam-lathe to machine them and all the blacksmiths are too busy making knives for their YouTube channel.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 10, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The newer Enfields are clean engine designs I thought? With fuel injection and everything?

Yeah sure, it's one of the many ways theory and reality differ. The modern ones seem to have QC issues and design faults that don't exist/aren't relevant on the archaic designs.

Coydog posted:

Yeah, and I think maybe they quit motorcycles over it? Never see them post anymore. The dealer ended up just giving him a new bike to replace his old one, but for the first year the bike would only get a little test ride before it was back in the shop. Not sure if the new bike started having issues too. Shame, because the new RE bikes look really good, and the company tried to turn over a new leaf a few years back.

This review made me really want a Conti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qXM_N34TI

I've seen a couple of these up close and they honestly look really good, they're at like a 90's bonneville level of quality and they're supposed to be decent to ride.

Finger Prince posted:

This is one of those sentiments that seems valid on the surface, but the wisdom starts to fade after the 18th call for a flatbed because the local hardware store hasn't stocked nought-point-seven gauge baling wire or Rhodesian-thread backwards Pittman bolts in 70 years and nobody in the tri-county area knows how to operate nor owns a steam-lathe to machine them and all the blacksmiths are too busy making knives for their YouTube channel.

Most of the unreliability seems to stem from people abusing them due to unrealistic expectations, they're pretty dependable if you treat them right. The bullet 500 cafe is pretty much the closest you'll ever get to a Norton manx while being a lot less lovely and a lot more practical.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm going to look at this CBR250R this weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1574972882686549/

Is it just the angle of the photo or does the clutch lever look to be bent/in a weird position? Anyways, I think 2k is fair price here so we'll see if he goes for it assuming there are no horrible things. What do yall think price wise?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah looks off to me. Its been down before. The bar end scratches and the marks on the indicator also support that idea. Still with all that the price seems fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I'd ride one around in India on a holiday.

I did just that and it was lovely. As noted the bike was about as fast as a tractor and it sounded like a helicopter WAPWAPWAPWAP and the throttle turned about 180 degrees and the first third had almost zero response and it had squishy pogo stick suspension. If you were even slightly careful with the clutch it was basically impossible to stall, and would happily putter along at 2 miles an hour in gear with the engine idling. That made it perfect for a potholed dirt road in the Himalayas or a packed Indian city.

Really it was quite charming. And while in America you're kinda hosed if it breaks down, in India you just limp to the nearest village and you'll pass twenty roadside stalls full of Bullet parts ready to get you going again. Great system.

Finger Prince posted:

Fortunately I have access to an eighty year old lathe and a foundry and forge. ima get one whenever I have a garage.

In India I commented to a friend that I really liked the Kolkata police bikes and he said I could probably get one imported for a couple thousand bucks

it's got a fuckin mudflap :allears:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 10, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You've pretty much sold this to me as a holiday idea now :D

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
This video made me really want to eventually do a bike trip through India, but that enfield himalayan looked disappointingly unreliable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWUtDuRMsE4

Speaking of Indian-made motorcycles, anyone have any insight into the BMW G310R? A more-experienced friend is considering one, but worried about reliability.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are akin to a thin layer of poo carefully spread on the thinnest, driest, cheapest white bread, then lovingly fitted with a bmw roundel, which is also the only bmw part of the bike.

Tell your friend none of the european small bikes are worth a drat, the on-paper differences that look significant are irrelevant, just get an r3 or ninja 400 or whatever.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

Speaking of Indian-made motorcycles, anyone have any insight into the BMW G310R? A more-experienced friend is considering one, but worried about reliability.

MT03 if your friend wants a nekkid bike.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ok, I'm basically a total mark for the new Super Chief. It's checking all the boxes I had in mind.

Showed the pics/ad to my wife, her opinion is that the fenders are too small and the exhaust is ugly, but I can live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1dCEpsWa0o

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is it just perspective, or is that bike a particularly long boi? Jesus the cylinder heads are the size of basketballs.

edit: Your wife is wrong about the exhaust, it owns. Those fenders are way too small, but just tell her she is the fender when she rides with you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Ok, I'm basically a total mark for the new Super Chief. It's checking all the boxes I had in mind.

I would not be able to own one of those without going "What's your beef, Super Chief?" every time I had to fix something on it

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

PeterCat posted:

Showed the pics/ad to my wife, her opinion is that the fenders are too small and the exhaust is ugly, but I can live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1dCEpsWa0o

I agree with your wife, but I have a feeling that the fenders are something that will be fixed by the aftermarket soon. I don't even need the big classic fenders (though I won't deny I would probably put them on in a heartbeat), just something that goes down over the rear tire a bit farther.

This bike really does everything I want, I like the scout but it's just a bit small. This is about the same size as my kawasaki (same dimensions and weight) but with a great big engine.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 11, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Chief Dark Horse is p much perfect in my eyes, aside from aftermarket extending the rear fender a tad (or getting a registration plate hanger that basically acts like that).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog posted:

Jesus the cylinder heads are the size of basketballs.

I guess that's what happens when you want DOHC heads but try to make them look like two-valve pushrods. I agree that it's pretty bulbous and weird

e: what the gently caress I thought they were overhead cam. It's actually still a pushrod engine. Why is the head so fat lmao

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 12, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's so the head overlaps the exhaust port and you get those downward pointing, partially obscured headers that ye olde indians had. It's a half assed attempt to cargo cult what Harley do.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

It's so the head overlaps the exhaust port and you get those downward pointing, partially obscured headers that ye olde indians had. It's a half assed attempt to cargo cult what Harley do.

Back when Polaris purchased Indian they put out a questionnaire asking what kind of engine style people liked best.

And yeah, it's going after Harley's market, it's an American V-twin, what else are they going to do?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I kinda like the basketball heads, but the void between the tank and triples really bothers me. Is that for storing snacks? In a vacuum, this is a very pretty loooonnnng bike. Compared with the last gen, it looks totally generic.

That's probably the smart idea, considering

PeterCat posted:

it's going after Harley's market, it's an American V-twin, what else are they going to do?

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 12, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Back when Polaris purchased Indian they put out a questionnaire asking what kind of engine style people liked best.

And yeah, it's going after Harley's market, it's an American V-twin, what else are they going to do?

What I mean is, when you take apart a Harley engine you find they have a very particular, unusual layout that you would never build if you were starting from scratch. But if you go back and take apart the previous generation engine, and the one before that and the one before that and so on, you find that every feature is just a slightly modified version of what was on the older engine. Every single little thing is the product of gradual evolution of a design originating in the 30's.

Polaris examined the above and realised that was one of the reasons Harleys are popular (it is), so they decided to do a cheap facsimile of the same thing - they cherry picked a bunch of random 1930's technical features (pushrods! overhanging heads!), bodged them onto an otherwise normal engine and called it heritage.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Outside of the cool factor of "organic improvements and an evolution directly linked to the original", how is that better than "in the last 90 years we realized how to make engines and it looks nothing like it started and that's ok" normal engine with a bunch of neato bits on it.

I'm not surprised HD people love that engine model, because it's marketing catnip. But the original engines sucked. And the ones in the interim don't compete. There is a reason "they don't make em like they used to".

Except for Suzuki. They do make em like they used to :suzuki:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

the void between the tank and triples really bothers me. Is that for storing snacks?

I suspect the space is to show off that s-bend on the lower frame tubes

e: but some 3P should definitely make a Snack Pod for it

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Coydog posted:

Outside of the cool factor of "organic improvements and an evolution directly linked to the original", how is that better than "in the last 90 years we realized how to make engines and it looks nothing like it started and that's ok" normal engine with a bunch of neato bits on it.

Objectively? Not better.
It's solely the cool factor, combined with habituation/knowing exactly what you can expect from the engine, and perhaps people who like simplistic technology.
I love elemental, simple tech, because it makes me feel good if i understand 90% of how it works. I also like the feeling of mechanical things and their character.
It's even better if there are no electronics involved aside from a coil and a distributor. I spend most of my days interacting with electronics, so when there are none, it just feels good to me.

I don't like harleys though. But it wouldn't take much peer pressure to make me buy an Ural or a Royal Enfield. Oh god i so want a solo ural...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I'm not surprised HD people love that engine model, because it's marketing catnip. But the original engines sucked. And the ones in the interim don't compete. There is a reason "they don't make em like they used to".

Except for Suzuki. They do make em like they used to :suzuki:

You really know how to wind me up.

No, you're just showing your ignorance, the original engines were excellent. Harley engines up until about the 80's were absolutely brilliant compared to most of the stuff available at the time, everything they did was extremely shrewd and driven by practical real world and racing reasons. You're american, you should be proud of harley's glorious racing history and pioneering engineering feats. Feel free to watch about twenty of these and you'll start to get your head around it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asuz0YOsQnM

Secondly, we 'know' how to make an engine now only because of the intervening decades of trial and error. Factories make architectural decisions that resonate for decades, for this reason they tend to be very conservative and run with what they know and make gradual detail improvements to cope with changing circumstances.

If you take apart, for example, a Fireblade engine, you'll find the overall layout is basically the same as a cb750, and the product of gradual evolution from that initial design to what we have now, which you can trace back by taking apart the intervening inline Hondas. They literally make them like they used to, except for the parts they don't anymore, exactly like Harley. At no point did they 'know' what to do, they took a gamble on a sensible initial design and from there on, made sensible decisions to try to improve what already worked really well. They had different goals, starting point and priorities to Harley (here lies the difference between engineering and management) but they approached them exactly the same way philosophically, at least until HD started being steered entirely by marketing.

Even then, the stuff we 'know' works isn't as clear or obvious as you'd think - consider Triumph, who try to cash in on the Japanese companies' institutional knowledge by simply copying their designs, only to find a million little things gently caress out and go wrong because they didn't know as much as they think they did. They've had several decades to catch up to the Japanese and are only now starting to approach similar engine quality, despite their designs being entirely contemporary. Almost like that historical baggage is, in fact, a good thing?

What about one of the million home-built-by-an-engineer special engines? Carved from solid billet by a qualified engineer who 'knows' everything honda 'know', would you chuck a warranty on one and sell it to steaknchips?

So Indian are selling the second generation of a clean slate design informed by whatever polaris 'know' about engines (based on every victory I've worked on, not a lot) saddled with a bunch of anachronistic crap bodged on afterwards, on purpose, purely for marketing reasons. It'll probably be an ok engine but it's philosophically repulsive.

BMW have been milking their horse about as long as Harley, even Ducati spent a good forty years developing just one engine. The only people who throw everything in the bin and design a new one from scratch every few years are KTM. Food for thought.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Still looks cool.

What are some weak spots of the Polaris V-twin?

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 12, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just to make it clear, I like my bike because it's comfortable and fun and looks nice to me.

All of those reasons are why I am interested in the new Indian Chief Dark Horse!

I don't care at all about heritage.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

HD oil leaking everywhere.

I really don't intend to wind you up, and am admittedly ignorant about most things, but if the end result is your generating these fantastic posts then that's just a footbridge I gotta ride my red dirtbike over. :cumpolice:

I'll watch those videos this weekend, thanks!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Steakandchips posted:

Just to make it clear, I like my bike because it's comfortable and fun and looks nice to me.

All of those reasons are why I am interested in the new Indian Chief Dark Horse!

I don't care at all about heritage.

On the bizarro side, I wish they would double down on heritage and make an inline 4 cruiser. The market's been sorely missing those since the Japanese learned how to copy Harley properly.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

On the bizarro side, I wish they would double down on heritage and make an inline 4 cruiser. The market's been sorely missing those since the Japanese learned how to copy Harley properly.

... why? (And no, I don't think it has)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A modern day Henderson would be amazing.

Just imagine a longitudinal literbike engine in a cruiser. Like a guzzi only not poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

As Nero Danced posted:

make an inline 4 cruiser.

MODS!?

(even though the i4 is the most suitable cruiser engine)