Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mimir posted:

How does being the enemy on a Heroquest work? The example is usually the Summons of Evil, where someone hears a call to be the bad guy, but how do you choose to get involved as a disruptive force? Do you see yourself as the unnamed, minor gods in the opponent's myth, or do you embody your own gods?

Oooh, see it can work in a number of ways. Sometimes it is just you going "hmm, now would be the correct time to act against these people who we dislike" you may not even perceive yourself as being involved in anything more "questey" than going on a raid. Well, at least right up until you get there and the person you are raiding is suddenly glowing. Another example is used where the person is "summoned" and sees the person doing the summoning as far more powerful than expected. One bit of lore related to this is in the history of the Heortling's book, where a Troll heroquester finds himself pulled into the enthronement ceremony of a king but sees the king as Orlanth himself who he manages to get certain concessions from, even as the king gets some concessions from the Troll quester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

One neat little excerpt from the upcoming GM guide mentions that Heroquesters often have a recurring stable of rival/ally questers that will keep showing up on their quests, even if they're miles or even continents away. If the encounter is memorable you could have that quester keep showing up as Yelmalio in their quests in the future.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mimir posted:

What they'll probably learn over the adventure is that the Templars plan on sending a champion on the heroquest "The Path of Lightfore" - (Arcane Lore p109) to bless the ballista. The PCs might disrupt the ritual beforehand, but they might also oppose it in progress, or get wrapped up in it - the PCs might act as sabatours in their ritual role as testers, which is my understanding of how this works.

One thing i want to add is that a big part of the classic Yelmalio vs Orlanth conflict is Orlanth stealing Yelmalio's spear, that might be a fun mythological path to yoink things down

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Here's my rough Faction Table.

Tier 1 is clan strength (might change that around), Tier 2 is tribe strength, Tier 4 is Kingdom, and Tier 5 is the Lunar Empire (the Emperor should also only be tier 5.) In a lot of the high level overviews you don't really get a lot of smaller factions that the PCs could reasonably come up against. I should reread the Red Cow book, which probably includes a few, but I'm going to need to figure out some more adventuring parties, merchant families, raiding armies, and small-scale Hero types.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That is nice and good but where are the ducks?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Tulip posted:

That is nice and good but where are the ducks?

I knew I forgot something! They just befriended a contact named Wiggum Blacktail, who wants to become a chieftain in Duck Point. Chief Wiggum.

Also, this hack is called "Blades and the Duck".

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Where are the Wasp Riders and the Telmori?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Where are the Wasp Riders and the Telmori?

I'd include the Wasp Riders under the "Beast Wilds" group TBH. And weren't the Telmori part of Kallyr's "New Sartar" at this point?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Wasp Riders and Telmori absolutely belong on here. I’m leaving out a few things that are in the far northeast and unlikely to muscle in - one thing I want to be aware of in contrast to Blades is that factions have limited scope and territory, and much less ability to project power far beyond their borders. But the Telmori are significant!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What's the most recent/up to date source on the Godlearners that isn't completely impenetrable? I'm fairly familiar with Glorantha and all that, but I'm not running anything at the moment and it's more just for-fun reading because I love those crazy bastards and I think Mad Anthropologists is one of the most hilarious and amazing villain ideas ever.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Middle Sea Empire is probably the best source actually focused on Westerners and God Learners, though like all Stafford Library books it's not entirely complete. The historical stuff seems more or less comprehensible.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What really set the god learners apart was the RuneQuestSight. They could just look at anything and tell exactly what runes it was made of, and when you combine that with sorcery it's a recipe for huge amounts of shenanigans.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Are the godlearners meta

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Do the Godlearners have any named characters or Heroes? Like their automated loot and XP grinding hero questing still required heroes, right?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Do the Godlearners have any named characters or Heroes? Like their automated loot and XP grinding hero questing still required heroes, right?

They were a world spanning empire who conquered a whole lot of other countries and those conquerers would seat themselves as the new kings and view themselves as heroes, yeah. You have Ordval, Edge of the East, King of Melib; Archiomedes the Undying who conquered part of Fonrit; several Seshnelan kings and basically every Middle Sea Emperor.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Delecti was a named GL Hero, before he defected to the EWF, I believe?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Delecti was a named GL Hero, before he defected to the EWF, I believe?

I think that is correct.

You could also count Marshall Nisaro? He was one of the heroes who helped to destroy the cult of Arkat in Ralios.

The problem is that we are one world spanning apocalypse and 500 years removed from the God Learners, so the individuals do not matter as much.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

All heroes are interchangeable, so just use whichever one is convenient. (/Godlearner)

I ran a campaign where the Clanking City/Zistor cult was motivated largely by the desire to genuinely automate Godlearner questing using the Machine God as the mechanism. So I certainly think that, absent that, powerful Godlearners had to hero quest and undergo a certain amount of risk in the process. But by definition, few or none of them would have actually been heroes, and they'd either have been using existing paths which they ought not to have been able to access, or short-cuts and short-circuits they deliberately engineered.

For example, say I'm a Godlearner and I want to run the Hill of Gold quest, but I don't like that Yelmalio gets the poo poo kicked out of him. I posit the existence of another Son of Yelm named Elmal, and substitute him for Yelmalio, and then run the Hill of Gold as Elmal. My lifestyle, decision-making, and place in the world are no more defined by Elmal's characteristics than they would have been by Yelmalio. That is the antithesis of how heroes usually function, where a Yelmalian hero would be shaping himself around Yelmalio and likewise for Elmal.

(Also, for those infuriated by my choice of example, imagine a Godlearner wants to run the Hill of Gold but wants to pick up self-resurrection powers, so he overwrites Elmal with Yelmalio. There, that should feel better, for "Godlearners desecrating the Hero Realm" levels of better.)

But I figure the best way to imagine a Godlearner hero quest is that they're like speed runners: they figure out all the bugs and glitches they can exploit to get what they want as rapidly and accurately as possible and skip everything else.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The sort of thing the Godlearners would pull is "pillage a culture's myths for the story about their god discovering a better way to grow grain, steal some of their seeds, now they get famines and your crops grow better in sandy soil."

If you think this sounds a lot like the kind of heroquesting shenanigans the Lunars get up to: you're right.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's also why the Lunars are slowly building up a kind of "karmic debt". One of the big issues that they have is that the straightforward idea of just exploiting things runs up against a lot of competing subsections of myth an politics and it is all going to go wrong in spectacular fashion.

If the Lunars were a bit less concerned with speed running and made sure to tamp down on expectation, or had perhaps stayed as a faction ruling of the Solar Empire for a century or so, then things might be different. As is they have tried to amalgam some of the best aspects of the first age with the God Learners. This will not end well.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Lunars respect the original myths and work hard to uncover them. Just look at the Entekosiad, it's a lunar made book that tries to uncover the "original" story of Entekos/Dendara after they got sublimated by Yelmic patriarchal rule.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

The Lunars respect the original myths and work hard to uncover them. Just look at the Entekosiad, it's a lunar made book that tries to uncover the "original" story of Entekos/Dendara after they got sublimated by Yelmic patriarchal rule.

They respect their version of it, too much Nysalor for them to be able to respect some things that should stay buried. If they'd had stayed in Peloria then maybe, but the continual expansionist drive and the attempt to reconcile chaos is what is leading to problems. Nysalor is Arkat reversed and because of it it means that they are never satisfied with what they have. Their goal is always based around expansion even as the idea of them is based in individual illumination.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

They respect their version of it, too much Nysalor for them to be able to respect some things that should stay buried. If they'd had stayed in Peloria then maybe, but the continual expansionist drive and the attempt to reconcile chaos is what is leading to problems. Nysalor is Arkat reversed and because of it it means that they are never satisfied with what they have. Their goal is always based around expansion even as the idea of them is based in individual illumination.

Yeah just make the moon white though and it's fine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah just make the moon white though and it's fine.

I mean... maybe?

This is one of the things I do like is the idea of the moons white face being the generative part of chaos being wrenched into concord with the rest of the world.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

To expand on my shitpost I basically see the Lunar Empire as an illustration of Imperialism corrupting "decent" liberal societies. I don't try to judge the chaos thing because who knows, Sedenya might really be able to make chaos take a piece of existence into itself and calm it down. That's all up to your preferred mythic interpretations and your Glorantha. To me, the Lunars would be almost as evil without chaos, because their real problem is they never dismantled the institutions of the Carmanian Empire. They just put themselves in charge.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Where the god learners invaded and pillaged for greed, the Lunars invade for fanaticism.

They can learn to work with the world and respect others... they'd just rather Lunarize it all. We Are All Us whether you like it or not, barbarians.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nanomashoes posted:

To expand on my shitpost I basically see the Lunar Empire as an illustration of Imperialism corrupting "decent" liberal societies. I don't try to judge the chaos thing because who knows, Sedenya might really be able to make chaos take a piece of existence into itself and calm it down. That's all up to your preferred mythic interpretations and your Glorantha. To me, the Lunars would be almost as evil without chaos, because their real problem is they never dismantled the institutions of the Carmanian Empire. They just put themselves in charge.

Maybe it's just me processing the American empire I've grown up in, but I've always seen the imperialism as a necessary expression of the liberalism. It's them putting their money where their mouth is: it's easy to tolerate your own people or a few immigrants, but to tolerate whole countries far away, and to make them tolerate their neighbors too, and tolerate them to a final end? Now there's a challenge worthy of having birthed a living god.

Basically

wiegieman posted:

We Are All Us whether you like it or not, barbarians.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Here’s an idea I’ve been toying with, maybe as a big campaign finale to heroquest into, to really make my glorantha vary: What if Orlanth didn’t kill Yelm? We know that they both think the killing went the way it did because of the essential difficulties of Justice and Rulership - but what if, deep in the godtime, we’ve all been missing the essential setup for The Greatest Murder Mystery of All Time?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tulip posted:

Maybe it's just me processing the American empire I've grown up in, but I've always seen the imperialism as a necessary expression of the liberalism. It's them putting their money where their mouth is: it's easy to tolerate your own people or a few immigrants, but to tolerate whole countries far away, and to make them tolerate their neighbors too, and tolerate them to a final end? Now there's a challenge worthy of having birthed a living god.

Basically

I don't disagree at all, I'm just posting from a more pro-Lunar perspective because I'm playing a Lunar in my current campaign.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mimir posted:

Here’s an idea I’ve been toying with, maybe as a big campaign finale to heroquest into, to really make my glorantha vary: What if Orlanth didn’t kill Yelm? We know that they both think the killing went the way it did because of the essential difficulties of Justice and Rulership - but what if, deep in the godtime, we’ve all been missing the essential setup for The Greatest Murder Mystery of All Time?

The pelorians already think orlanth didn't kill yelm, but rather orlanth killed yelm's oldest son and yelm got Really Sad and went to the underworld to be sad abut it.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

The pelorians already think orlanth didn't kill yelm, but rather orlanth killed yelm's oldest son and yelm got Really Sad and went to the underworld to be sad abut it.

Right, duhhh. Anyway, let's not talk about my obvious lore messup - the old board games are getting reprinted.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Mimir posted:

Right, duhhh. Anyway, let's not talk about my obvious lore messup - the old board games are getting reprinted.

Oh man, Masters of Luck and Death would be really interesting to see. Especially if it's time-shifted into the Hero Wars after Belintar's death- him still managing to come back even after the Lunars hacked him up into pieces (or someone else usurping his full power, or The Only Old One managing to piggyback on Belintar's whole deal to return to the world, or or or...) has seemed like an interesting Glorantha story to me for a while.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Just Dan Again posted:

Oh man, Masters of Luck and Death would be really interesting to see. Especially if it's time-shifted into the Hero Wars after Belintar's death- him still managing to come back even after the Lunars hacked him up into pieces (or someone else usurping his full power, or The Only Old One managing to piggyback on Belintar's whole deal to return to the world, or or or...) has seemed like an interesting Glorantha story to me for a while.

I would love it if they think they've brought back Belintar and instead it's just the Only Old One laughing uproariously.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mimir posted:

The really tricky part is convincing orlanth or the orlanthi that they didn’t kill Yelm, since they think it was justified and saying they didn’t would wound their pride.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wrestlepig posted:

The really tricky part is convincing orlanth or the orlanthi that they didn’t kill Yelm, since they think it was justified and saying they didn’t would wound their pride.

It would also break one of the more important pieces of the emotional logic of the Lightbringer's Quest - it's just Orlanth going to the underworld and back which is impressive and all, but it's not Orlanth righting his own wrong. Were I Orlanthi I'd be pretty cross.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
So I was browsing some old Runequest sourcebooks out of curiosity when I came across the Creatures Book. There's these clever little tableaus of creatures based on alphabetical order (so, things that start with B and C, or M and N) in there, and I wanted to share some of 'em.

It's got an interesting mix of distinctly Gloranthan elements with the Ducks, Dark Trolls, Broos and Dragonewts, alongside more "conventional" inclusions of Dwarves, Elves, Halflings and such. We tend to think of Glorantha as an extremely self-contained world and mythos these days, but this book suggests that mixing and matching its setting elements was somewhat encouraged back in the 80s.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bendigeidfran posted:

So I was browsing some old Runequest sourcebooks out of curiosity when I came across the Creatures Book. There's these clever little tableaus of creatures based on alphabetical order (so, things that start with B and C, or M and N) in there, and I wanted to share some of 'em.

It's got an interesting mix of distinctly Gloranthan elements with the Ducks, Dark Trolls, Broos and Dragonewts, alongside more "conventional" inclusions of Dwarves, Elves, Halflings and such. We tend to think of Glorantha as an extremely self-contained world and mythos these days, but this book suggests that mixing and matching its setting elements was somewhat encouraged back in the 80s.
That's from RQ 3rd edition, published by Avalon Hill, and designed to be a more generic standard fantasy RPG (the default setting was "Fantasy Earth" and the early campaign packs were boxed sets for gladiator fights, Vikings, and Japan). The Glorantha stuff was mostly hived off into its own supplements.

Lisa Free's artwork is great.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

FMguru posted:

That's from RQ 3rd edition, published by Avalon Hill, and designed to be a more generic standard fantasy RPG (the default setting was "Fantasy Earth" and the early campaign packs were boxed sets for gladiator fights, Vikings, and Japan). The Glorantha stuff was mostly hived off into its own supplements.

Lisa Free's artwork is great.

You know, I always did wonder about that one Runequest supplement called "Land of Ninja". I didn't know it was an edition-wide shift in focus instead of just some throwaway spin-off books. It does seem like RQ's history gets very tangled (and likely miserable for everyone involved) for many years after 3rd edition, and honestly it has me wondering how King of Dragon Pass even got greenlit and made.

For all of 3rd ed's questionable decisions though, that artwork was very nice, yeah.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"Personal friend of Greg wanted to make a Glorantha game and started a studio for it" it sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is there a reference sheet with all the common Rune Spells everyone has so I can just give those to players?