Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MR.B posted:

How is Skyrim in VR?
I got motion sick just watching a video of it for ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Big Scary Owl posted:

Dagoth Ur has been defeated, I've finally finished the main quest after all these years :unsmith:

Now you can play Tribunal which has a super rad main storyline and dungeons to explore!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Big Scary Owl posted:

Dagoth Ur has been defeated, I've finally finished the main quest after all these years :unsmith:

sun's honey gilds the land
now take this gift from the hand of god

the MQ has a great ending.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Now you can play Tribunal which has a super rad main storyline and dungeons to explore!

I got a, uh, pet ...rat? That can carry around stuff for me and blitz around at lightning speed too? Game good. :hai:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's a pack rat.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://twitter.com/Meelsie143/status/1359578860413739015?s=19

I hate how much I laughed at this

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

chaosapiant posted:

Both Tribunal and Bloodmoon own. Morrowind is the best at everything.

Speaking of which, I am going to test that theory and finally play Daggerfall, to see if it can knock Morrowind off my "best ES game" spot. Is there anything I should know before I go in that I wouldn't know already as a ES veteran?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

Is there anything I should know before I go in that I wouldn't know already as a ES veteran?

You will get very lost in the dungeons!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Both Tribunal and Bloodmoon own. Morrowind is the best at everything.

Speaking of which, I am going to test that theory and finally play Daggerfall, to see if it can knock Morrowind off my "best ES game" spot. Is there anything I should know before I go in that I wouldn't know already as a ES veteran?

No amount of tes3 4 or 5 gameplay will prepare you for daggerfall

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I shall prepare to be unprepared.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Be prepared to cheat, cheese, or just otherwise avoid major sections of the game. Otherwise it'll be unbearable.

But when it's good, the atmosphere is something else.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Wait, what? After a few missions I am already at the end of the main quest? I'm level 26!

I still have Dawn guard and Dragon quests pending so I'll finish them first before fighting Alduin.

PS. Paarthanux rules and now I understand that whole meme... What kind of rear end in a top hat would kill him. All his lines I was: :allears:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Get unity. Use the smaller dungeons setting. Spend too much time in clothing stores tweaking a look you will never see because armor. Buy a recall spell.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Get unity. Use the smaller dungeons setting. Spend too much time in clothing stores tweaking a look you will never see because armor. Buy a recall spell.

Also clothing can often be worn a couple of different ways like rolling up the sleeves or tossing a cloak over your shoulders. Important stuff.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Best part of unity is the vastly increased clothing options.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wow... You folks weren't kidding about Daggerfall being... different.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Is this game loving with me ? One time I’m angry because nothing kills immersion like having to open the console and noclip to get out of a bugged quest only to drop my jaw straight to the floor a few hours later by walking into the Forgotten Vale just as the soundtrack hits and weather clears up so you can see from the cliffs that beautiful blue sky and the stunning ice mountains in the distance.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah the pro way to pay bethesda games is not to do whatever you want, but to very carefully try to follow the path you think the devs wanted you to take so that poo poo lines up and works

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Wow... You folks weren't kidding about Daggerfall being... different.

did you make it out of the tutorial dungeon?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Nobody told him about the ebony dagger so I’m guessing no

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Guildenstern Mother posted:

did you make it out of the tutorial dungeon?

Yep. Did a Mages Guild and Dibella quest too. Feels pretty grindy this far.

poisonpill posted:

Nobody told him about the ebony dagger so I’m guessing no

Definitely did not find the ebony dagger though.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Finished Dawnguard, drat that so much fun! Now Dragonborn! I'll teach you to steal my dragon souls!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Yep. Did a Mages Guild and Dibella quest too. Feels pretty grindy this far.

Definitely did not find the ebony dagger though.

Its a thing you can pick when doing your background but you have to be playing a certain type of class for it to come up. It is pretty grindy I guess, the no guild promotions for 28 days thing makes it feel worse. I get around it by taking long trips around the bay. I tend to jump in for a few hours once a week to get some dungeon crawling in. Sadly I've leveled up enough that the game is more than happy to populate entire dungeons with vampires. I can take *a* vampire. A room full of them is a totally different story though and questing has become awkward.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CottonWolf posted:

I’d go as far to say that with Morrowind, breaking the game is the game. The it feels like game is designed with that in mind. Things like the boots of blinding speed/resist blind combo, or the fact that the mage falls from the sky with those acrobatics scrolls like 10 minutes into the game.

One of my favorite Morrowind experiences was when I used my Atronach sign to use a shrine to provide all the mana I needed to cast the ladder of Fortify spells I needed to eventually craft my god gear. The whole process took several minutes and a bunch of planning and direct engagement with a divine object, which is exactly what building god gear should be like, dammit!

mulligan posted:

Is this game loving with me ? One time I’m angry because nothing kills immersion like having to open the console and noclip to get out of a bugged quest only to drop my jaw straight to the floor a few hours later by walking into the Forgotten Vale just as the soundtrack hits and weather clears up so you can see from the cliffs that beautiful blue sky and the stunning ice mountains in the distance.

Skyrim, in my opinion, should be enjoyed as almost a pure exploration game. The quests are just an extremely thin excuse to go to all the gorgeous places. My most recent playthrough used an alternate "uh you're a guy in a cave I guess" start and it was my most fun, by far.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Caius I swear to god lock your goddamned door.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I’m playing skyrim on my switch again and I’m looking for a new build to shake things up. I’ve played mostly on PC with SPERG and Apocalypse spells so I’m not even used to playing vanilla anymore. Everything I look up for vanilla builds ends up being a Stealth Archer but I’m looking for something a little different from that.

Any suggestions?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Illusionist, the key is but every illusion perk as soon as it's available and alchemy.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I’m playing skyrim on my switch again and I’m looking for a new build to shake things up. I’ve played mostly on PC with SPERG and Apocalypse spells so I’m not even used to playing vanilla anymore. Everything I look up for vanilla builds ends up being a Stealth Archer but I’m looking for something a little different from that.

Any suggestions?

A do no harm run. You can kill anything that's already dead, like clearly a walking skeleton or a zombie or something. But you can't hurt any living beings. Collect your alchemy ingredients from stores because you can't take a fish out of water or rip the wings off a bug. Figure out how to make enemies kill themselves or just sneak past them. See how much you can do being as observant to nonviolence against living creatures as possible. Enjoy the headache of trying to figure out if gigantic reanimated dragon skeletons with the meat stapled back onto them are dead or alive. Decide how you feel about vampires and either get better at being invisible than they are or else gleefully join the dawnguard reveling in the technical loophole they provide for leveling up your one handed skill.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ritual stone, Aetherium crown.

Necromancer 2: Dead can dance.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

reignofevil posted:

A do no harm run. You can kill anything that's already dead, like clearly a walking skeleton or a zombie or something. But you can't hurt any living beings. Collect your alchemy ingredients from stores because you can't take a fish out of water or rip the wings off a bug. Figure out how to make enemies kill themselves or just sneak past them. See how much you can do being as observant to nonviolence against living creatures as possible. Enjoy the headache of trying to figure out if gigantic reanimated dragon skeletons with the meat stapled back onto them are dead or alive. Decide how you feel about vampires and either get better at being invisible than they are or else gleefully join the dawnguard reveling in the technical loophole they provide for leveling up your one handed skill.

Sounds like fun, and like it would go hand in hand with the Illusion one a post above.

Are punchcats really that good? I see things suggesting them but have never tried it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Kajits get a boost to unarmed which makes it better than early weapons, but it'll quickly be surpassed by better weapons, or anything with smithing.

There's a single trait that adds your heavy gauntlet's base armor to damage, and a single enchant you can get to improve it a little more, but it's nothing outstanding. Definitely nothing better than you can do with actual weapons + feats. But the unarmed kill cams kick rear end.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Kajits get a boost to unarmed which makes it better than early weapons, but it'll quickly be surpassed by better weapons, or anything with smithing.

There's a single trait that adds your heavy gauntlet's base armor to damage, and a single enchant you can get to improve it a little more, but it's nothing outstanding. Definitely nothing better than you can do with actual weapons + feats. But the unarmed kill cams kick rear end.

Maybe I’ll start with that and transition to a dual-wielding dagger build. Don’t think I’ve ever done that.

Also I don’t think I’ve made a Khajit since i played Morrowind for the first time so many years ago

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

reignofevil posted:

join the dawnguard reveling in the technical loophole they provide for leveling up your one handed skill.

Please tell me more about this?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you go on the kind of run I described your going to quickly realize that leveling up combat skills is a pain because the ruins can't all be full of Draugr or Dwarven robots. So a player who is more interested in following the spirit of not harming living creatures would definitely see that vampires obviously qualify as alive in every meaningful way.

On the other hand if you wanted to play it as being more interested in the letter of the do no harm code, they are also clearly considered undead and could easily be considered fair targets, which ultimately means more things to swing your arm at for level up perks.

Sorry if I implied there was some neat trick with one handed here!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ah oh! I was indeed thinking I missed some kind of trick. Thanks for clearing that up!

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

MR.B posted:

How is Skyrim in VR?

I'm playing both Skyrim and Fallout VR at the moment, and while Fallout seems to actually benefit a lot from the VR world, Skyrim is painful even with my current mods to fix a lot of the combat.

Granted I'm probably suffering some Skyrim fatigue anyway but jesus it gets old looking at the same cave textures and spiders, even if it is ~immersive~

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Skyrim really was all about shaking up the setting in a brutal way. It feels like they're setting up for a soft reboot.

- Dark Brotherhood wiped out save for Skyrim Sanctuary
- Fighter's Guild broken up due to constant wars and weak imperial control
- Mage's guild - er, same thing, really
- Scholarly pursuits barely exist, almost everyone who does it guards their knowledge jealously or they're insane and working for a daedra or whatever
- Vvardenfell wiped out by natural disaster
- Empire is crumbling to ashes

I dunno, the fourth era is pretty miserable in general. I wonder if TESVI will just straight up Time Skip this poo poo and give us the aftermath of Great War II, electric boogaloo. It sure would be loving weird to boot up and find out that the Aldmeri Dominion are now the de-facto rulers of Tamriel (though replacing the Imperials with a new type of elf would be interesting)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I really wish Skyrim had kept Hand-to-Hand is a skill tree. Unarmed fighting is cool. Also, at least one dia-katana that wasn't a Daedric artefact.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Skyrim really was all about shaking up the setting in a brutal way. It feels like they're setting up for a soft reboot.

- Dark Brotherhood wiped out save for Skyrim Sanctuary
- Fighter's Guild broken up due to constant wars and weak imperial control
- Mage's guild - er, same thing, really
- Scholarly pursuits barely exist, almost everyone who does it guards their knowledge jealously or they're insane and working for a daedra or whatever
- Vvardenfell wiped out by natural disaster
- Empire is crumbling to ashes

I dunno, the fourth era is pretty miserable in general. I wonder if TESVI will just straight up Time Skip this poo poo and give us the aftermath of Great War II, electric boogaloo. It sure would be loving weird to boot up and find out that the Aldmeri Dominion are now the de-facto rulers of Tamriel (though replacing the Imperials with a new type of elf would be interesting)

Yeah. I have no idea at all what TES VI is going to do. The obvious options would be to have questlines about building those factions back up, but I hope they go weird with it. Have the mages questine be about working for the Ideal Masters, or the Thieves one about being enslaved by a Daedric prince culminating in a grand heist into Oblivion to steal back your soul, or something like that.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I loving love these dumb games

https://i.imgur.com/SvdB2gx.mp4