Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I'd kill for a sequel to Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. I normally despise grimdark reboots but post apocalyptic advance wars hits just the right mood for me. I loved the world and the story and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sydin posted:

It's even funnier if you play revelations and learn that none of them are actually your "real" siblings and the closest blood relative Corrin has among the cast is Azura who is their cousin. So Birthright is actually you throwing away your "fake" siblings for secretly even more fake siblings.

Best part is I'm 99% they did it for the sake of shipping. Since you can also learn this outside of Revelations if you romance a sibling because your mom left behind an in-case-of-incest-break-glass note.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

I'd kill for a sequel to Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. I normally despise grimdark reboots but post apocalyptic advance wars hits just the right mood for me. I loved the world and the story and characters.

I didn't care for days of ruin mostly because of how loving awful the CO system was

Killing Waylon was a miserable dick smashing contest and Isabella was just openly overpowered

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
WarGroove is a pretty good spiritual successor to Advance Wars, albeit with a more Fire Emblem like fantasy setting.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

I didn't care for days of ruin mostly because of how loving awful the CO system was

Killing Waylon was a miserable dick smashing contest and Isabella was just openly overpowered

I didn't have any trouble with the Waylon fight in the campaign myself when I replayed it last year. I got platinum rank on my first try. Maybe its because of my playing style. I play very defensively at first building as many wartanks, Bombers, long range anti air and artillery units as I can and slowly and methodically push back the opfor and take over the battlefield one square at a time.

As for the co powers, I mostly only played the campaign, where the enemy AI rarely use their co powers if I remember correctly. I have been told some of the CO powers range from useless to comically overpowered.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I bounced off Wargroove's map design pretty hard it just seemed like it encouraged rote and uninteresting strategies more often than not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sydin posted:

That's fair, and yeah I don't use it either but I think it's a good addition. FE has definitely been moving in a much more forgiving direction with regards to character "death", hell even if you play classic in Three Houses you still get the Divine Pulse mechanic. Even FE10 let you save in the middle of a chapter and reload at any time which was very much appreciated for some of the more bullshit Dawn Brigade missions, like the one where you have to baby an entire army of severely underleveled characters through a fog of war chapter vs Laguz units who almost all 2-3 shot.

I think Divine Pulse is an interesting way to split the difference for players who don't have the patience to reset (or to play ironman), but also don't want to play on casual mode because it removes the "if anyone dies you lose" failure condition. Even with Divine Pulse, you can't really play like you can on casual mode. You can afford to be more reckless for sure, but you still can't let someone die and move on--all Divine Pulse does is give you a few instances per battle where you can save yourself some time by rewinding a few turns instead of fully reloading.

It's a nice compromise, in that I don't think it necessarily makes the game easier, only less punishing.

Something else I like about modern Fire Emblem is that the difficulty selection and the casual/classic mode selection are separate things. You can play Maddening Casual in Three Houses if you want, totally fine. I always like modular difficulty like that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Modular difficulty is good, as is not gating content off behind difficulty. One of the things I liked best about Hades is that absolutely zero content is locked off if you turn on the easy mode, and it doesn't shame the player for it at all. So you can legit just tell people who are really struggling to turn it on and it opens the experience up to way more people.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

This is an older video from a month ago but Chris Stuckmann opened up about his abusive childhood as a Jehovah's Witness and came out as pansexual :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMjgarN7VQ&ab_channel=ChrisStuckmann

As someone who grew up in a similar situation, big relate :negative:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 10, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

egg tats posted:

this isn't actually rare! I used to listen to the Shut Up And Sit Down podcast, and they talked openly about how they'd been feeling burned out and they felt like they needed to pause for a moment and the response from patrons was overwhelmingly "change your billing to monthly and take a vacation, it's ok" because the people backing folk on patreon are generally there because they like the creators and want them to be healthy and happy.

I don't think the people who were still donating to spoony years after he had produced a video were duped in any way and constantly claiming he was somehow robbing them are really strange to me!

(like I'm still supporting a dude on patreon who stopped putting out videos like 2 years ago because of Severe Depression Issues and I'm ok with that because it's only a few bucks and they're good people, you know)
Yeah, exactly this. And I think we should be especially lenient when it comes to creators that became big before this was a thing. They made so much content for ahot pay. Of course people like Spoony could have been big today if they just did everything right and just naturally traversed their way into whatever that work is today. Maybe I'm just biased because I was "I can't even answer that phone call that I know will give me a chance of having enough money to not get kicked out on the street" kind of mentally ill that Spoony seemed to be at the time. Likea lot of the same people who used to bitch about not getting proper, new content from him were the same people who would be defending him making an awful, awful , basically rape joke about his colleague with, "He's mentally I'll!". By God, I'm glad that I never followed through on putting any video online.

Btw does anyone know how much Patreon money Spooney made back in the day? I'm curious to know if it was "barely surviving money" or "living lavishly money"?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sarcopenia posted:

Btw does anyone know how much Patreon money Spooney made back in the day? I'm curious to know if it was "barely surviving money" or "living lavishly money"?

Around 12k at his peak if this site is to be trusted
https://graphtreon.com/creator/spoonyexperiment

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Every time Channel Awesome comes up I'm glad I never watched/got involved in any of it because all the drama just sounds exhausting.

The majority of the CA people that I watched regularly turned out to be the ones who made clean splits from Doug and the CA apparatus. The only exception to that was Brad Jones, who lashed himself to Doug's totem pole, ruined a whole smattering of friendships with people he was actually far closer with than Doug Walker, and outted himself to be a massive slimeball in the process. He's the only one of that set that I legitimately regret ever watching or liking.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sarcopenia posted:

He had a stretch goal to make a movie at 5k per month and he was there at some point (because he started walking it back once he reached the goal).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jamie Faith posted:

I think it helps that Advanced Wars was one gritty reboot away from an actual acceptable tone in the first place.

I'm phone posting so imagine I posted that advancewars/platoon Awkward Zombie Strip here.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Libluini posted:

For some reason few things infuriate me more than if I can hear someone's mouth noises. That poo poo just sets me irrationally ablaze with hate.

YouTubers: If you do this where I can reach you, I will enter your dreams to tear you apart from the inside. Be warned.

That's not irrational at all. Watching/hearing people eat is hella loving gross and I have no idea at all how it became A Thing that people choose to sit through willingly, never mind popular.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Around 12k at his peak if this site is to be trusted
https://graphtreon.com/creator/spoonyexperiment

does that site work different on desktop or something because I'm seeing around 6 grand at the peak, and I think that was around when he stopped making poo poo and it started going down constantly from there

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well, you get your ASMR mukbangers and then you get your storytime mukbangers. When the genre got its start in Korea it was mostly based in talking with an audience, because most of the mukbangers were livestreamers. Not difficult to see why people like that really, you get the whole Just Chatting thing plus it's like you're eating with somebody. People love that. For the rest of this paragraph you can pretend I said something profound about the rise of mukbangs in a lonely 21st century late capitalism city apartment culture society.

ASMR is less explainable, of course, because you literally either love it or hate it based on your body's reaction to it -- personally it goes right through me and I can't watch. It's like coriander, to some people it tastes thoroughly pleasant and to others it's like eating soap.

Hell, doing mukbangs on YouTube is generally less explainable because of the previously mentioned livestreaming origin. You kinda get rid of the conversation and you just have the storytime, but then people do love storytime. And obviously you say SHHHHH at the camera a lot, have pretend Punch and Judy fights with your husband with giant noodles and mix it all in with the occasional breakdown that becomes an Internet meme.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

The majority of the CA people that I watched regularly turned out to be the ones who made clean splits from Doug and the CA apparatus. The only exception to that was Brad Jones, who lashed himself to Doug's totem pole, ruined a whole smattering of friendships with people he was actually far closer with than Doug Walker, and outted himself to be a massive slimeball in the process. He's the only one of that set that I legitimately regret ever watching or liking.

I regret ever liking Doug Walker tbh.

Cringe story: I was at a college orientation and I said the one person I'd like to meet was Doug Walker. Fortunately nobody in my group knew who he was. (This was in 2011, so a bit before Youtube personalities became a normie thing.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Violet_Sky posted:

Cringe story: I was at a college orientation and I said the one person I'd like to meet was Doug Walker. Fortunately nobody in my group knew who he was. (This was in 2011, so a bit before Youtube personalities became a normie thing.)

I wonder if any of them ever found out and then did a double take remembering that moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Eeeh, I look at them each differently in that regard. Finding out Brad was a shitbag hit way harder and way differently to me than finding out Doug was also a shitbag.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Doug Walker, while I liked, I was suspecting something was tremendously off when I was listening to the various anniversary movie commentaries make great lengths to not explicitly talk about how weird that dude was. To Boldly Flee and Demo Reel was kinda when I fell off of him because it really seemed he was huffing his own supply at that point.

Brad Jones caught me by surprised because it came out of nowhere and I had to be like "uh... in all of my times watching him in the past did I just loving miss these red flags or did all pretenses really just suddenly drop right this second?"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Brad feels less like somebody who was always secretly a piece of poo poo and more like somebody who became a piece of poo poo.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Eeeh, I look at them each differently in that regard. Finding out Brad was a shitbag hit way harder and way differently to me than finding out Doug was also a shitbag.

oof same. Finding out Doug was a scumbag was just like "aw thats a shame". Finding out Brad was a bastard felt like such a betrayal because we all thought he was such a nice and chill dude.

Sydin posted:

Brad feels less like somebody who was always secretly a piece of poo poo and more like somebody who became a piece of poo poo.

Yeah, we've had this discussion before. I remember Dan Olsen in this thread saying exactly that pretty much. :smith:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 11, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MechaX posted:

Doug Walker, while I liked, I was suspecting something was tremendously off when I was listening to the various anniversary movie commentaries make great lengths to not explicitly talk about how weird that dude was. To Boldly Flee and Demo Reel was kinda when I fell off of him because it really seemed he was huffing his own supply at that point.

Brad Jones caught me by surprised because it came out of nowhere and I had to be like "uh... in all of my times watching him in the past did I just loving miss these red flags or did all pretenses really just suddenly drop right this second?"
I could get a sense back in the Transmission Awesome podcast days where Rollo T would explain the reason why they never could interview him was that he was really bad with computers.

Brad I feel made more sense when you consider how lovely his inner circle of friends mostly turned out to be for the most part.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MechaX posted:

For me Doug's slide started when he started doing more non-That Guy movie reviews and you'd listen to him and realize that That Guy wasn't really a character like we might have thought, like how the Snob was a character. Sadly That Guy is Doug and Brad is a douche.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

achillesforever6 posted:

Brad I feel made more sense when you consider how lovely his inner circle of friends mostly turned out to be for the most part.

Yeah for such a seemingly nice guy Brad kept getting into so much drama. Every year it seems like he was having some massive drama filled falling out with someone he would have on midnight screenings. It was so weird how such a simple show ( a bunch of friends sitting in a car talking about a movie they just saw) would attract so much drama. After the falling out with Allison, it suddenly became clear why that kept happening.

Anyway, I hope Dave and Sarah are still cool...And Violet too wherever she is... I know Brian is no longer friends with Brad and has taken Allisons side :unsmith:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 11, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
speaking of scumbags. time for the star wars derail.

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1359698566781034498

rear end in a top hat got sacked. so time to watch the fun hot takes about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

speaking of scumbags. time for the star wars derail.

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1359698566781034498

rear end in a top hat got sacked. so time to watch the fun hot takes about it.

The Nazi guy with the urinal helmet that all the sci-fi chuds like now is probably strapping it on in a frothing rage and getting in front of a camera as we speak.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Get hosed!!!!!! hahaha :sickos:
I do really hope they re-cast her tho. Like it's Gina who sucks, not Cara. I like Cara :unsmith:
I honestly wish they would just recast people for when stuff like this happens. Like I get it, it's weird that this character looks totally different now, but as a lifelong James Bond fan, I'm used to it lol

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 11, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The Nazi guy with the urinal helmet that all the sci-fi chuds like now is probably strapping it on in a frothing rage and getting in front of a camera as we speak.

whats funny is no one would have given a poo poo if she was a chud if she hadnt been a weird loud rear end in a top hat about it and said hosed up bad poo poo over and over again. she was already dead but he brain snapping with the election made poo poo much worse, i was talking with goon friends about it and i am curious if disney will keep the hall of presidents since trump made the ride a loving awful shitshow.

Jamie Faith posted:

I do really hope they re cast her tho. Like its Gina who sucks, not Cara. I like Cara :unsmith:
I honestly wish they would just recast people for when stuff like this happens. Like I get it, it's weird that this character looks totally different now, but as a lifelong bond fan, I'm used to lol

same.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I do really hope they re cast her tho. Like its Gina who sucks, not Cara. I like Cara :unsmith:
I honestly wish they would just recast people for when stuff like this happens. Like I get it, it's weird that this character looks totally different now, but as a lifelong bond fan, I'm used to lol

Recasting her would be the optimal outcome because people still really like the character but hate the actress now.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Recasting her would be the optimal outcome because people still really like the character but hate the actress now.

Exactly! Normalize recasting people I say :colbert:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Disney will keep the Hall of Presidents. It's down right now as they are making the audioanimatronic of Biden and sycing it up to the speach he will give.

Trump will still be there in the backgrouns, but be relegated to just being a name call.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pedro Pascal’s sister just came out as trans like a day ago too, so it must not have been fun for him to work on the show with a chud saying poo poo all day for years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Disney will keep the Hall of Presidents. It's down right now as they are making the audioanimatronic of Biden and sycing it up to the speach he will give.

Trump will still be there in the backgrouns, but be relegated to just being a name call.

thats my guess.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Pedro Pascal’s sister just came out as trans like a day ago too, so it must not have been fun for him to work on the show with a chud saying poo poo all day for years.

cool, good for them. and yeah glad she got the boot.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/GayestFesh/status/1359698110260285440

also this ^ lol

Anyway, I think this was the thread's first good Star Wars derail! :discourse: You love to see it

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 11, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

https://twitter.com/GayestFesh/status/1359698110260285440

also this ^ lol

Anyway, I think this was the thread's first good Star Wars derail! :discourse: You love to see it

yep

https://twitter.com/SW_takes/status/1358463778166251522

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Which will make a nice bookend to being in a frothing rage when she was cast in the first place but was upset about her being in the show at all.

Edit: Oh, good! The exact tweet I was thinking about was found.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

this reminds me of my favorite disney conspiracy, that they were so sure hillary was gonna win that they made a hillary animatronic months in advance and had to rapidly disguise it as Trump when they turned out to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Apparently she was close to having her own show?

https://twitter.com/aaroncouch/status/1359698566781034498?s=21

But yeah, good riddance