Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eediot Jedi posted:

Now watch as the only consequences of this devastatingly awkward report is the ABC's funding gets reduced.
Pretty much. Our gov is so corrupt.

he sure loves his mining boy cosplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

bowmore posted:

Each feral cat killing over 1000 animals a year seems like bad maths

Not that feral cats are good, but they either hosed the maths up or are blaming other native animal deaths on feral cats

It's not bad maths, 1000 a year for a cat seems low even.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Now watch as the only consequences of this devastatingly awkward report is the ABC's funding gets reduced.

Be the consequence you want to see.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 10, 2021

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

Pretty much. Our gov is so corrupt.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/10/its-an-ecological-wasteland-offsets-for-sydney-tollway-were-promised-but-never-delivered

Yep

Cant even deliver what they promise.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress me dead:

https://twitter.com/danilic/status/1359307689596080131

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If I was Labor I'd just be plastering "I don't hold a hose mate" everywhere.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Greg Hunt being asked on an ABC interview why the Australian government announcement of 10 million more vaccine doses had a Liberal logo on it:

Haha mate you're a lefty everyone thinks you're a lefty why don't you be honest and wear your bias haha I had a bet with my office you'd ask about this what a lefty haha

Paraphrasing but basically yeah.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

Greg Hunt being asked on an ABC interview why the Australian government announcement of 10 million more vaccine doses had a Liberal logo on it:

Haha mate you're a lefty everyone thinks you're a lefty why don't you be honest and wear your bias haha I had a bet with my office you'd ask about this what a lefty haha

Paraphrasing but basically yeah.

Hunt should have called the interviewer a greenie and got Labor to back him up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JoeHockey/status/353114471138463745

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

wow I suddenly hate Dave Grohl???

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

kirbysuperstar posted:

wow I suddenly hate Dave Grohl???

You mean this did it rather than the time he said HIV is fake or whatever

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

If I was Labor I'd just be plastering "I don't hold a hose mate" everywhere.

Or the quote where he paraphrases the best thing for dealing with covid is opening up and letting people die.

Just repeat this poo poo in every interview, then run one line attack ads.

Abbott showed it worked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Let's be honest, Labor is not an opposition party.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

JBP posted:

You mean this did it rather than the time he said HIV is fake or whatever

Or even just entire post Nirvana career?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ABC is just asking to be taken out back at this point.

Peter Dutton's office fast-tracked one-off grant proposal days after donation given to support him

quote:

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton's office fast-tracked a one-off $880,000 grant proposal to a retail association eight days after it made a $1,500 political donation to the Queensland Liberal National Party — at an event Mr Dutton attended — for the purpose of personally supporting him

7.30 can reveal that Mr Dutton awarded a one-off "national security and criminal justice" grant to the Queensland-based National Retail Association, which represents employers in the retail and fast food industry.

The revelation is part of a cache of ministerial briefings obtained by 7.30 under freedom of information laws that set out Mr Dutton's awarding of grants from within a multi-million-dollar fund earmarked to support crime prevention efforts.

The grant was not awarded through any open or competitive grant scheme, but was awarded on a one-off basis by Mr Dutton. It appears Mr Dutton has only awarded a handful of one-off grants since he became Home Affairs Minister.

There's more in the link and it all seems totally legit. :hmmyes:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm not surprised by what Dutton did, but I am surprised by how cheap he is to buy.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

thatbastardken posted:

just let millions of feral dogs loose to chase the cats

i foresee no problems with this approach

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

where will you find that many PHON voters?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm not surprised by what Dutton did, but I am surprised by how cheap he is to buy.

One of the things we've learned about politicians in recent years is that not only are they easily bought, but they'll basically just do anything for a penny and a pat on the head if you're a billionaire.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
True. Wasn't there some Lib selling access for a couple thousand for private meetings?

You'd think I'd remember more, but there has been so much corruption at every level I can't hold it all in my head anymore.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
breaking news from the nation's most important channel

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hey! Those are standard Queensland Police rates!

AB had a heart attack in his cell at Goulburn correctional centre after complaining of feeling unwell and vomiting the night before. He was given medication for the vomiting. He told a fellow inmate he had some chest pains but did not want to report them because he did not want to go into a “safety cell” in the medical ward, because he would not be allowed to smoke there. His family did not raise any issues at the inquest.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They need to unionise

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Doesn't he make his real money selling visas? This is just beer money.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Cartoon posted:

His family did not raise any issues at the inquest.

Are the ISSUES RAISED raised by the family? I had assumed they were raised by the coroner.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

perepelki posted:

breaking news from the nation's most important channel

They are not wrong

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Urcher posted:

Are the ISSUES RAISED raised by the family? I had assumed they were raised by the coroner.
ISSUES RAISED when used as a heading in the report refer to the issues that the report is highlighting for further action. They may have been raised by the coroner or purely by the substance of the instance. Or even by the family. If nothing else these individual descriptions of deaths in custody show the huge range of issues facing the indigenous community.

KJ was a cultural man who lived in a remote community. He was suspected of having an auto-immune disease, but doctors at Katherine hospital were not able to fully diagnose it in part because he did not always trust western medicine. He was sentenced to five months' jail in October 2016 for driving offences. He was treated at the prison medical clinic for a number of issues and eventually admitted to hospital, where he later died. His family was not told he was taken to hospital and was unable to visit him. He was also not provided with an interpreter.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

So now that Packer’s Pokie Palace has hit a snag, there is concern organised crime will turn to clubs and pubs to wash their cash - which I’m sure is already happening.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-11/crown-inquiry-spell-trouble-for-nsw-pubs-clubs-poker-machines/13141842

One suggested measure is using preloaded cards rather than cash. Wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the cretins that push this addiction.

Licence to punt?

SCOFF.GIF

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

bowmore posted:

They are not wrong
it's a serious matter when a group of capslock ukrainians say you're worse than russia

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
A hospital in the UK has introduced a policy that suggests inclusive language towards trans men who are pregnant that can be used alongside the usual way you'd talk to mothers that you'd used for women so of course the Fairfax papers are running a story that, despite mentioning the fact that it is purely additive, frames it as THE EVIL TRANSES ARE ERASING WOMEN

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Has anyone written any kind of explanation about why the UK in particular seems to be such a hotbed of anti-trans sentiment? Obviously that's just an anecdotal observation, but I know I'm not the first to make it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Been said before, but short version: lack of a non-upper-class-white-woman element meant their feminism pretty much stalled out at second wave, reactionaries finding it no longer acceptable to be openly homophobic turned on trans people instead, and mumsnet is Stormfront for bored housewives.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

freebooter posted:

Has anyone written any kind of explanation about why the UK in particular seems to be such a hotbed of anti-trans sentiment? Obviously that's just an anecdotal observation, but I know I'm not the first to make it.

My extremely cursory opinion is that it's not really about trans people, it's about being seen as doing something about the latest thing the mainstream media has fanned people into a frenzy about.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
New Adam Curtis documentary is out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pretty bold of Greg Hunt to suck himself off on live TV and then call an ABC journo a filthy lefty

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

freebooter posted:

i assume mumsnet just happened to be the first petri dish that had the critical mass of toxic people who define themselves by the ability to give birth and it took off from there the way the alt-right had 4chan

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

crepeface posted:

i assume mumsnet just happened to be the first petri dish that had the critical mass of toxic people who define themselves by the ability to give birth and it took off from there the way the alt-right had 4chan

It's weird how precisely what you've written here reflects the Wikipedia article.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
huh, i had no idea. didn't check wikipedia if that's your thought

edit: the mumsnet article or terf article? I don't see poo poo

crepeface fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 11, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
What the hell

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-11/coal-plants-to-shut-by-2025-in-wa-liberals-renewable-energy-plan/13143910

Did someone manage to kill their brainworms? Or is this just a "we aren't gonna win so we will throw bullshit at the wall"?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well it's probably because nobody is willing to fund coal plants anymore and renewables are becoming cheaper despite how much the Libs try and talk coal up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

crepeface posted:

huh, i had no idea. didn't check wikipedia if that's your thought

edit: the mumsnet article or terf article? I don't see poo poo

Mumsnet