Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
fat reaper is gonna show up in ME4

it took him longer to get to the milky way galaxy :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

I do remember! It's exceptionally loving stupid!

"huh there's the normandy, well that's a stealth ship, can't shoot that no sir, even though it's in atmo and visual range, this doesn't hurt you shepherd"

Well now I feel obliged to post this, as a stern reminder to all would be stealth ships (super sekrit unlockable stealth plane shot down by the SAM battery equivalent of eyeballing it because they always flew the same route)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You big, stupid, cuttlefish.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Shirkelton posted:

Horrific, cosmic terror beasts are a bad choice for villains in an RPG, because at some point, they've got to fuckin' talk to you.

not always true... it's tough but it can be handled tastefully.

probably doesn't work for the me format but imo the best cosmic horror is when there's no talking, no reasoning or negotiating, because there's no point. to them, you're nothing but the equivalent of a bug and you're just in the way. a few films have handled this decently, one of which was underwater (unfort. it was very slept on).

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Shirkelton posted:

Horrific, cosmic terror beasts are a bad choice for villains in an RPG, because at some point, they've got to fuckin' talk to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJOu-VyDY8&t=89s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag50ct3EBxQ

Funny how despite being inspired by star control, the motivation for the reapers was so godamn stupid.

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 10, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The destruction of the galaxy was a fine 'high stakes' for ME 1 - 3, where the setting was galaxy-spanning.

ME4 being Liara travelling from planet to planet looking to track down clues of the final battle and all that, while pitching in where she can, means that 'our water purifier is on it's last legs, and we need help' are perfectly good high stakes.

I guess what I'm saying is I want Liara to be wandering around like Bill Bixby from The Incredible Hulk, keeping mean men from interfering in the local rodeo or making sure the YMCA doesn't get demolished and the neighbourhood kids have nowhere to play basketball, then flying away to the next planet while The Lonely Man plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4C1ZQKmw4

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Reapers were really cool and mysterious in ME1 and 2, then in 3 they show up everywhere and only seem to be good for honking and exploding

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The reaper honk remains one of my favorite alert noises on my phone.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

*extremely small cute honk*

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

SettingSun posted:

One thing I like about the Reapers is that they're played up as unknowable transcendent super monsters but in ME3 most know Shepard by name and several drop what they are doing for a shot at personally killing them.

There's that one reaper in me3 who's like "shepard :argh:" after you down it and then shepard goes "you know who I am???" and the reaper says "harbinger speaks of you. You resist" and I just imagine harbinger constantly whining about shepard in reaper voice chat

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 10, 2021

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

The destruction of the galaxy was a fine 'high stakes' for ME 1 - 3, where the setting was galaxy-spanning.

ME4 being Liara travelling from planet to planet looking to track down clues of the final battle and all that, while pitching in where she can, means that 'our water purifier is on it's last legs, and we need help' are perfectly good high stakes.

I guess what I'm saying is I want Liara to be wandering around like Bill Bixby from The Incredible Hulk, keeping mean men from interfering in the local rodeo or making sure the YMCA doesn't get demolished and the neighbourhood kids have nowhere to play basketball, then flying away to the next planet while The Lonely Man plays.

I hope they don't set it too far in the future, despite Liara's relatively young age for an asari making that possible. I think it should be set a short time after the galaxy has been able to get the relay network partially operational again, with the true scope of the devastation only just becoming apparent.

Also make Wrex or Grunt squadmate options.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh yeah, Grunt still kicking but now he's the grumpy old man instead of the scrappy young tankbred could be fun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh yeah, Grunt still kicking but now he's the grumpy old man instead of the scrappy young tankbred could be fun.

Grumpy old bodyguard to the eloquent and diplomatic leader of the Krogan Federation: Mordin Wrex.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Kurieg posted:

Grumpy old bodyguard to the eloquent and diplomatic leader of the Krogan Federation: Mordin Wrex.

it would be Urdnot Mordin :goonsay:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

er.. i mean... in an effort to appeal to the reigning human leadership of the galaxy he's trying to implement earth style surnames on tuchanka or something.

Yeah

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I wish the reapers had just been a one-game villain the other two games told their own stories on a big galaxy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They hadn't yet figured out how they were gonna end it when 2 released, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rinkles posted:

They hadn't yet figured out how they were gonna end it when 2 released, right?

They had an ending planned, but those plans got leaked a few months before the game went gold, leading to the infamous Mac and Casey locked room weekend rewrite-o-rama that gave us the Star Child and :speculate:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know what that ending supposedly was?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It was the Dark Energy ending which has been discussed in the thread. Essentially Ezzo usage and mass effect transit cause nearby stars to burn out and die much faster then expected. Thats the seeds planted in the Tali mission in 2. It was in some ways a big climate change metaphor. The Reapers found a way to keep some part of civilations alive as they culled them when they reach a certain level of complexity as they try in the background to figure out the problem.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Shepard standing in the middle of the ocean while their squad mates surround them saying CONGRATULATIONS over and over.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

doublepost

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

LionYeti posted:

It was the Dark Energy ending which has been discussed in the thread. Essentially Ezzo usage and mass effect transit cause nearby stars to burn out and die much faster then expected. Thats the seeds planted in the Tali mission in 2. It was in some ways a big climate change metaphor. The Reapers found a way to keep some part of civilations alive as they culled them when they reach a certain level of complexity as they try in the background to figure out the problem.

I know the global warming analogy is eyerolling and heavy handed, but I would have liked this idea better as the reapers' motive.

To me, it makes more sense for the cycle to be 'AI takes "save civilization" order to its most extreme logical conclusion, hilarity ensues' rather than synth/organic foreverwar.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Funky Valentine posted:

Shepard standing in the middle of the ocean while their squad mates surround them saying CONGRATULATIONS over and over.

Mass effect 3's ending probably would of been pretty cool if the ending had abandoned all notions of metaphor and committed to pure symbolism.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

They had an ending planned, but those plans got leaked a few months before the game went gold, leading to the infamous Mac and Casey locked room weekend rewrite-o-rama that gave us the Star Child and :speculate:
Is there a write-up anywhere about them changing the ending, because their original plans were leaked? From what I remember, there was a Final Hours of ME3 thing, is it in there?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

TheCenturion posted:

I really don't think there's any way we'll be playing as Liara (though I can imagine her being a squadmate/traveling companion), since it would dramatically limit customization options and playstyle varieties.

That general gameplay loop is pretty much what I'm hoping for though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I... don't think this is the case at all, actually.

The Mac and Casey stuff is definitely true but I'm pretty sure the dark energy stuff got thrown out pretty early in development.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

very brief amount of research provides https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/6gw93c/ot_spoilers_leaked_ending/

the leaked ending was incomplete but not substantially different, and it wasn't changed because of the leak. Dark Energy never got further than pre-production. the big change was apparently Javik had Vendetta's role

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Dark Energy stuff is really dumb because if the Reapers were trying to prevent the early heat death of the universe from overuse of eezo, why would they leave the Mass Relays around for new civilizations to find, ultimately massively increasing those civilizations usage of element zero?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Baron von der Loon posted:

Is there a write-up anywhere about them changing the ending, because their original plans were leaked? From what I remember, there was a Final Hours of ME3 thing, is it in there?

No because "bad men locked selves in room, made bad ending" is a made up piece of Gaming Myth that people somehow seriously still believe in 2021.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Ending should have had no star kid and played the catalyst straight. You plug the superweapon in and weakens the reapers a ton, enough that they can be defeated conventionally. Then get a sick rear end cutscene of your assembled military strength blowing up the reapers, maybe taking tons of casualties, or actually losing if you didn't have enough. Then you get narrated ending slides which depict what happened to the universe. A while back there was a "Choose Your Own Mass Effect Ending" thing on scribd that actually made some pretty sick endings, way better than what the actual writers came up with.

No need for dark energy or lots of speculation or whatever dumb poo poo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
can't wait to fly around the galaxy in the SSV Bourgogne-Franche-Comté SR-3

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
My favourite ending was the 4th one where you shoot the star kid and the screen immediately cuts to black and skip forward X many years in the future. Someone finds one of Liara's beacons and it fires up talking about how we failed and civilization got erased. That one still sticks with me the most. Make it canon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The dark matter thing was only ever really given focus in Tali's recruitment mission and basically never mentioned anywhere else in 2. If that was the original plan for 3, then it was even more poorly-foreshadowed than the robot war explanation.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Funky Valentine posted:

The dark matter thing was only ever really given focus in Tali's recruitment mission and basically never mentioned anywhere else in 2. If that was the original plan for 3, then it was even more poorly-foreshadowed than the robot war explanation.

It was also mentioned on Freedom's Progress and Giana Parasini's cameo. I think maybe a few more small things here and there. I think Bioware mentioned that they'd dropped the dark matter blowing up stars or whatever plotline during Mass Effect 2's production.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

No because "bad men locked selves in room, made bad ending" is a made up piece of Gaming Myth that people somehow seriously still believe in 2021.

ikr the real story is the team locked them in the room because they couldn't stand them

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think we can all agree: lift is better than singularity.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Imagine a world where the Reapers' motive was just a horn blurt and continued genocide because really that's all we needed gently caress all the justification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
BWAMMMMP