Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ulio posted:

Kiwami 1 is trash compared to 0 and Kiwami 2. 0 has two chars so the combat doesn't get stale, better minigames, main story of kiwami 1 is very similar to 0 but 0 executes it better and is more complex.

Kiwami 2 is a better update and much closer to 0 imo. Just 1 style combat but it works, how the upgrades are different from your item currency was a great move as well. Main story is bomb. Nishki in 1 is a bitchy loser while Ryuji Goda is a chad who just wants to be the strongest yakuza in Japan. It has way more over the top moments just like the Majima moments in 0, something Kiwami 1 had but very little.

Hey I don't appreciate my loving post being quoted specifically so you can tell me that I'm having fun in the "wrong way". I've put 20 hours into Kiwami 1 now, more than the 16 I put into 0, and I'm loving it a LOT.

Also: I do NOT appreciate you calling Nishiki that word. He's not a loser, either. He's not great at being a yakuza, and then he got into a super hosed up situation and it all went to hell. I wish you could appreciate the good storytelling going on in 1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ryuji stops being a good character the minute he stops stealing pants

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey I don't appreciate my loving post being quoted specifically so you can tell me that I'm having fun in the "wrong way". I've put 20 hours into Kiwami 1 now, more than the 16 I put into 0, and I'm loving it a LOT.

Also: I do NOT appreciate you calling Nishiki that word. He's not a loser, either. He's not great at being a yakuza, and then he got into a super hosed up situation and it all went to hell. I wish you could appreciate the good storytelling going on in 1!

I couldn't help but play the "heartwarming side story music" from Yakuza in my head while reading this post.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

having fun in the "wrong way".
It's always so annoying when someone does that. The only wrong way to have fun is by not having fun.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

It's always so annoying when someone does that. The only wrong way to have fun is by not having fun.

Is this a covid thread now?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

It took me 30 hours of Valheim to find one of the tablets telling you where to look for the 2nd boss. :gonk:

What the gently caress.

I've also identified a roughly 80-square-yard area in one of my forests, that doesn't seem to contain anything of note, but which makes the game crash as soon as I get near it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Honestly with how much I am LOVING Yakuza Kiwami 1, I am super hyped to play 2 and onwards! If 1 is the "worst" of the series, then holy poo poo I can't wait for more, especially getting the chance to replay 0 in the future now that I'm super invested in the characters!

I recently finished off the Pocket Circuit minigame (Majima!!!!) and unlocked the tiger drop and god drat I love this game so much!!!!!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly with how much I am LOVING Yakuza Kiwami 1, I am super hyped to play 2 and onwards! If 1 is the "worst" of the series, then holy poo poo I can't wait for more, especially getting the chance to replay 0 in the future now that I'm super invested in the characters!

I recently finished off the Pocket Circuit minigame (Majima!!!!) and unlocked the tiger drop and god drat I love this game so much!!!!!

If you are planning on playing through all the games in order I cannot wait for you to get to the eventual payoff of slot car guy's story.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I mean, goddamn, that guy's on shrooms.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

rt4 posted:

Is this a covid thread now?

idgi but just in case you're actually confused, no, this is the Yakuza thread

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just lol at the people online I've seen complaining Valheim looks bad.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

....that looks bad enough that I'm not sure if you're being ironic?
e: like the lighting looks alright and its sorta artistically nice, in a circa 2005 way

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 11, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

awesmoe posted:

....that looks bad enough that I'm not sure if you're being ironic?

The textures are poo poo but the style and lighting is good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been playing Valheim for a few hours now and yeah, it doesn't look terrible and it definitely has some very nice atmosphere and lighting, but it does look like a game that could realistically be fifteen years old.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its a stylistic choice. :shrug:

The entire game is 1gb.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The textures in Valheim remind me of the Saturn and I don't know why.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Valheim looks fantastic

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i haven't seen pictures that smeared with vaseline since i visited my divorced uncle one summer

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think it looks really cool. But I also think, like, Minecraft looks sweet a good amount of the time, too. Good artistic choices go a lot further than weight of pixels for me these days.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, for some reason I'm hankering for something with the harvest moon gameplay loop... am I correct that Stardew Valley and My Time At Portia are basically the only high-quality games (well, high-ish for Portia) that scratch that exact itch?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's also Littlewood, although opinions are supposedly a bit more divided about that one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you want to get really macabre in your Valley there’s also Graveyard Keeper but that isn’t quite as high quality.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, for some reason I'm hankering for something with the harvest moon gameplay loop... am I correct that Stardew Valley and My Time At Portia are basically the only high-quality games (well, high-ish for Portia) that scratch that exact itch?

There's a remake of Friends of Mineral Town on Steam now. There's also the Doraemon game which is kinda similar. They are fairly expensive though.

I think comparing Harvest Moon to Stardew Valley is like comparing a pleasant stroll to a mad dash. Was not a big fan, felt forever rushed, but I'm in the extreme minority.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is literally Harvest Moon.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I might wait for a sale and nab Mineral Town then... I remember bouncing off the GBA version ages ago, but mostly that was because sucking up to the gnomes was boring, but without a gnome labor force I felt like I was running my farm suboptimally.

And Stardew Valley is like, yeah-I like farming and fishing and brewing and crap, but most of my games tap out around summer or autumn when it hits the point where you can only really get the upgrade materials you need with some hardcore dungeon delving, because I was never a big fan of the combat stuff.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I might wait for a sale and nab Mineral Town then... I remember bouncing off the GBA version ages ago, but mostly that was because sucking up to the gnomes was boring, but without a gnome labor force I felt like I was running my farm suboptimally.

And Stardew Valley is like, yeah-I like farming and fishing and brewing and crap, but most of my games tap out around summer or autumn when it hits the point where you can only really get the upgrade materials you need with some hardcore dungeon delving, because I was never a big fan of the combat stuff.

Mineral Town wasn't good for me, it's a mile wide but an inch deep. My Town At Portia is great if janky. I don't really know any others, Sakuna has really great rice farming but is half combat. If you have a switch Rune Factory 4 is pretty great too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Omi no Kami posted:

If you want some Harvest Moon, there was recently a rom patch that greatly improved on the SNES Harvest Moon so much that it is like an upgraded port over on the romhack thread.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're willing to emulate, the Rune Factory series is a great RPG-influenced take on the Harvest Moon formula. Rune Factory 3 introduces "seasonal dungeons" with fields on which you can grow seasonal crops at any time. It's very nice.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're willing to emulate, the Rune Factory series is a great RPG-influenced take on the Harvest Moon formula. Rune Factory 3 introduces "seasonal dungeons" with fields on which you can grow seasonal crops at any time. It's very nice.
I'm pretty sure I remember Rune Factory 1 having locked-season dungeons. Not all of them were, but there was at least one for each season, IIRC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember Rune Factory 1 having locked-season dungeons. Not all of them were, but there was at least one for each season, IIRC.
Alright then, I guess I misremembered that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you want some Harvest Moon, there was recently a rom patch that greatly improved on the SNES Harvest Moon so much that it is like an upgraded port over on the romhack thread.

Huh, I didn't know that's in the works... I'll take a look!

While we're talking harvest moon, which ones are worth looking at? I only played the original and tried some mineral town ages ago. I think I remember the N64 one famously being the best from the original franchise?

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh man, I keep meaning to play these... assuming I'm reasonably tolerant of jank/old stuff is it worth starting from the first game, or should I just start from 3?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh man, I keep meaning to play these... assuming I'm reasonably tolerant of jank/old stuff is it worth starting from the first game, or should I just start from 3?
Start from RF3, definitely. It's by far the best and most feature-rich of the easily emulatable ones. RF1 was more proof of concept and RF2 doesn't do anything that RF3 doesn't do better. They're completely standalone so you won't miss anything.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm a big Harvest Moon, Stardew, Portia, etc fan. But I hated Rune Factory. It's VERY anime poisoned.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The real answer is to buy Tabletop Sim and play all the german farming games you want.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zesty posted:

I'm a big Harvest Moon, Stardew, Portia, etc fan. But I hated Rune Factory. It's VERY anime poisoned.

rune factory 3 and 4 do admittedly go very hard on having zany casts, but if you are the sorta person who finds the characters funny or at least charming, there's literally no competition in the farming genre

like im pretty sure any individual marriage candidate from rune factory 4 has more unique dialog than the entirety of stardew valley's cast combined

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the Rune Factory games are very anime. They're also fully-fledged action-RPGs in addition to being fully-fledged farming sims and have very extensive plots and (as mentioned) tons of events and dialogue. They're definitely some of the cream of the genre.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looks like the Switch version of Fortnite.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

PowerBeard posted:

Looks like the Switch version of Fortnite.

Maybe but I like the big chunky textures and polygons. Like a high grade PSX era game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've never invested time into a Souls(-like) since the first Nioh, and Nioh 2 is pretty, technically satisfying in terms of combat, and has delicious diablo-like loot to keep me going. I can't stop playing it.

https://i.imgur.com/cp1IK5w.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's also really complex in a way that intimidates me more than the pure tests of skill and reflex that Sekiro puts forward. Not that I'm not enjoying it, mind, it's just a lot.