Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

i flunked out posted:

Do ultracite ammo, its pretty much always worth the added mats.

If you have an ultracite primed weapon, do you get ultracite or normal ammo for completing a daily op?

Also Nuclear Winter is extremly fun, already at rank 32 after a couple of weeks. The speed of each game, the weapons, Last Laugh being a 100% chance, the rewards for both adventure and NW, building stupid poo poo with CAMPS, nukes acting as a camper deterrent... It's insane to me that the loving Fallout 76 Battle Royale is the first pvp video game I've enjoyed in like 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Psychedelicatessen posted:

If you have an ultracite primed weapon, do you get ultracite or normal ammo for completing a daily op?

Ultracite because mobs will always drop the ammo used to kill them with.

The only exception to this are Launchers, Gatling Lasers and Plasmas, you'll only get cores and missiles as a reward for killing the boss with them and finishing the DO. All other mobs killed with those will drop a random amount of random ammo.

Personally, I use my UC Caster for the mobs and my UC Plasma for the boss. I can't remember the last time I actually had to craft ammo for them.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'm probably not playing this game right, but this is the build I've been rolling with I use a Final Word .50 cal I bought for pretty cheap at a vending machine. Between ammosmith, super duper, and the ledgendary perk I never run out of ammo. In fact it's the only gun I carry on me most of the time. I always use power armor, playing without a jetpack just isn't the same. (and the no fall damage comes in handy too)

Bloodied builds don't appeal to me, I don't care if I can one-shot Earl, or Pete, or whatever his name is (I haven't gotten around to doing that one yet) In fact I haven't even finished the main story, always log in intending to progress it and always side side tracked with some BS, or visit people's CAMPS, or rebuild my own yet again...

Anyone in PA should use the Legendary Energy Absorption perk. When you get hit by energy weapons and it triggers it refills your fusion core AND heals you.

Basically, ditch Power User and Full Charge.

Also, there is a jetpack for the Secret Service armor, so if you want to jetpack around in "normal" armor that's an option.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Also Nuclear Winter is extremly fun, already at rank 32 after a couple of weeks. The speed of each game, the weapons, Last Laugh being a 100% chance, the rewards for both adventure and NW, building stupid poo poo with CAMPS, nukes acting as a camper deterrent... It's insane to me that the loving Fallout 76 Battle Royale is the first pvp video game I've enjoyed in like 7 years.

Nuclear winter is bethesdas neglected little actually good battle Royale. It sucks that they're probably going to delete it, or at the very least they've already completely abandoned it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ran around a little having no idea what I'm doing. Where should I start to secure a supply of food and water?
I found a few pieces of T-51b, should I hang on to them or vendor them?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

There is a little town called "Flatwoods" south of the Wayfairer that serves as a tutorial area of how to get food and water.

Not that you need a supply of food and water now that they have taken out the debuffs for having empty meters, but you do get some little buffs for having them full.

But a vauge guide that doesn't really spoil anything is keep going south in the Forest area until you hit Charleston - then you should be a jigh enough level to tackle the Toxic Valley in the north of the map.

It wouldn't hurt to hold onto the T-B1 armor, but it will be a while until you can use it so it wouldn't hurt to sell the pieces either.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 8, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Lone Badger posted:

Ran around a little having no idea what I'm doing. Where should I start to secure a supply of food and water?
I found a few pieces of T-51b, should I hang on to them or vendor them?

If you can find a PA frame then you should store the pieces on it. Though you cannot pick up a frame that's too high level for you the following process works:

1) Remove all of the armor pieces from the frame (leave the fusion core)
2) Get into the frame
3) Get out of the frame
4) Put all of the armor pieces (or new ones) onto the frame
5) Wait for it to time out and despawn into your inventory
6) Profit from the fixed 10 unit weight of the frame instead of the weight of the individual pieces. You can move this frame into your stash as you desire

Also you can (and probably should) rename the frame by examining it and changing its name so that you can differentiate between them in case you have more than one.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Taerkar posted:

Also you can (and probably should) rename the frame by examining it and changing its name so that you can differentiate between them in case you have more than one.
I prefix all my power armor with # so they show up first in inventories

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've got mine named as *PA* T-60 and so forth. Also have some extra frames with full suits that I was collecting for friends who stopped playing. So if anyone wants a suit that's max level (I think I have spare T-51 and T-60) let me know.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Important reminder for those who rename things:

Every character on your account can have exactly 50 items with custom names.

If you sell, scrip or drop an item with a custom name the game can and will often fail to register this properly and not increase your "allowance" back to what it should be.

For example: You own 50 items with a custom name. You're at your allowed limit and can't rename any additional items.

You sell/scrip/drop 1 item without reverting it back to it's original name first. Your "allowance" will not go up by 1, you can't rename any additional item despite only owning 49 with custom names. This is permanent and, right now, can't be fixed.

You sell/scrip/drop 1 item after reverting it back to it's original name. Your "allowance" will go up by 1, you can rename 1 additional item since you only use 49 of the allowed 50.

Might get patched but I'm not sure if this is even on the known issues list.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I really wish I'd read that before the weekend ... I just destroyed a PA frame that I had renamed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I really wish I'd read that before the weekend ... I just destroyed a PA frame that I had renamed.

Great moments in Fallout 76 gaming

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So hey, I played the poo poo out of 76 before Wastelanders. When wastelanders came out I was gonna play and have fun BUT.... but.... other games caught my attention and all.

Welp, now I'm playing more of the game. The SCORE board is pretty fun so far. But I'm a wee bit curious on a few matters.

1- I've been going to various different people's CAMPs and seen various different allies. Do the different allies give specific benefits or are they just there as conversation/flavor?

2- What's the current endgame like? In the past it was... well, SBQ until you were sick of her. And I was which is why I stopped back then. Have the vault raids gotten any better? What new poo poo has Wastelanders introduced?

3- I started a new char to explore all the new poo poo. Actually it's been interesting, people keep giving me stimpacks. I've been handed like, 270 just for running around in my Vault 76 suit with leather armor and a pipe pistol. So many of the players have been pretty cool to play with, which is unusual because pre-wastelanders all I remember is assholes everywhere.
Anyway, off topic. I'm thinking of doing an automatic energy weapon (Commando) build. Have lasers been buffed to be competitive? I've seen several people using the tesla rifle, and one or two with a gauss gun of some kind. Just wondering what guns I should be looking forward to. Or is energy crap and I should just do the usual Handmade rifle build? Or are there better wastelander/BoS rifles I should look at?

4- Has the meta changed or is bloodied still ridiculously OP? I never liked being so low on HP all the time, I get that with the damage numbers so ridiculously through the roof you never really needed to worry about dying because everything else was dead first, but still... not my cup'o'tea. Is anything else competitive these days? Or is endgame hard enough to really need competitive damage with bloodied builds?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but for now that's what I'm most curious about.

Also wheeee legendary perks are fun. Being basically rad immune at low levels is great; and with the perk point system I'm actually so much more excited when I get card packs because I know the useless perks will be used for something good. I only have 2 legendary perk slots so far, how many do I get eventually? UI shows 3 but is that it?

khy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 9, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

khy posted:

So hey, I played the poo poo out of 76 before Wastelanders. When wastelanders came out I was gonna play and have fun BUT.... but.... other games caught my attention and all.

Welp, now I'm playing more of the game. The SCORE board is pretty fun so far. But I'm a wee bit curious on a few matters.

1- I've been going to various different people's CAMPs and seen various different allies. Do the different allies give specific benefits or are they just there as conversation/flavor?

The 4 main allies give daily fetch quests. The 2 you get from the score board are light allies and give you food or heal you. They all tend to bug out and give you gently caress all for weeks unless you dismiss and rebuild the object they are tied too.

quote:

2- What's the current endgame like? In the past it was... well, SBQ until you were sick of her. And I was which is why I stopped back then. Have the vault raids gotten any better? What new poo poo has Wastelanders introduced?

Scorched Earth, Earle and gold/plan farming. Raids have been poo poo canned and replaced with Daily OPs.

quote:

3- I started a new char to explore all the new poo poo. Actually it's been interesting, people keep giving me stimpacks. I've been handed like, 270 just for running around in my Vault 76 suit with leather armor and a pipe pistol. So many of the players have been pretty cool to play with, which is unusual because pre-wastelanders all I remember is assholes everywhere.

Well, stimpacks, radaway and all that poo poo is just clogging up your inventory at high levels so we ditch that stuff on unsuspecting noobs who will bow to our greatness. :V

quote:

Anyway, off topic. I'm thinking of doing an automatic energy weapon (Commando) build. Have lasers been buffed to be competitive? I've seen several people using the tesla rifle, and one or two with a gauss gun of some kind. Just wondering what guns I should be looking forward to. Or is energy crap and I should just do the usual Handmade rifle build? Or are there better wastelander/BoS rifles I should look at?

The Tesla Rifle, Plasma Caster, Gauss Shotgun and Gauss Mini are all good to excellent. The rest are garbage unless you have a Legacy, energy weapon with the explosive effect as secondary prefix.

quote:

4- Has the meta changed or is bloodied still ridiculously OP? I never liked being so low on HP all the time, I get that with the damage numbers so ridiculously through the roof you never really needed to worry about dying because everything else was dead first, but still... not my cup'o'tea. Is anything else competitive these days? Or is endgame hard enough to really need competitive damage with bloodied builds?

The One Wasteland patch from last year nerfed everything. The new meta is still Bloodied but Anti Armor and Junkies are not far behind. Vampire and, hilariously enough, Executioner are also a good choice on heavy weapons.

quote:

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but for now that's what I'm most curious about.

Also wheeee legendary perks are fun. Being basically rad immune at low levels is great; and with the perk point system I'm actually so much more excited when I get card packs because I know the useless perks will be used for something good. I only have 2 legendary perk slots so far, how many do I get eventually? UI shows 3 but is that it?

You can equip a total of 6 once you reach level 300. At least I think it's 300.

To max them all out you'll need a gently caress ton of perk coins.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

khy posted:

So many of the players have been pretty cool to play with, which is unusual because pre-wastelanders all I remember is assholes everywhere.

There's very few assholes left. I almost never see anyone causing problems. I had someone killing players at a Radiation Rumble to tank the event last week, and it was very out of place. I couldn't tell you the last person I saw causing trouble before that. I've been playing since it came to gamepass and I think I've only seen three or four people actually PVPing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any reason I shouldn't wander into someone else's CAMP, pick some crops, cook them on their stove, do some crafting, then wander out again?

What's the most efficient way to get rid of the radiation all this eating and drinking gives me? Do I just have to hope for looting radaway?

As a melee weapons user now and planning on heavy weapons later which SPECIAL stats should I prioritise?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't wander into someone else's CAMP, pick some crops, cook them on their stove, do some crafting, then wander out again?

No.

quote:

What's the most efficient way to get rid of the radiation all this eating and drinking gives me? Do I just have to hope for looting radaway?

Decon arches. Most high level players have one at their camp.

quote:

As a melee weapons user now and planning on heavy weapons later which SPECIAL stats should I prioritise?

Strength. 15 is your goal.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Just don't eat or drink lol, there's literally no consequence for it. apparently taking care of hunger/thirst was too difficult.

Also strength is the most important, keep enough intelligence for the stabilized perk. Other than that it's sort of up to you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Switched to a pump-action shotgun for right now, seems to work better.
I eat and drink to heal, in order to save stimpaks.
My current strategy is to grab everything, since nothing sells for more than 3-4 caps and a flower or lump of dog meat still sells for 1 cap, so I vendor worthless crap in large quantities to make cash.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

i flunked out posted:

Just don't eat or drink lol, there's literally no consequence for it. apparently taking care of hunger/thirst was too difficult.

Being Fully Fed and Fully Hydrated gives a bonus/buff to several stats.

Max HP +35, STR +1, Disease resistance +35%
AP Regen +35%, END +1, Disease resistance +35%

You'd have to be extremely lazy to not aim for having this at all times. Personally, I just rock the Survival Shortcut perk because the syringes are extremely helpful and weigh next to nothing for the benefits they give.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Being Fully Fed and Fully Hydrated gives a bonus/buff to several stats.

Max HP +35, STR +1, Disease resistance +35%
AP Regen +35%, END +1, Disease resistance +35%

You'd have to be extremely lazy to not aim for having this at all times. Personally, I just rock the Survival Shortcut perk because the syringes are extremely helpful and weigh next to nothing for the benefits they give.

I'm not saying there isnt a reason to eat or drink. I was saying theres no negative consequences for not eating it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I mod a weapon can I transfer the mods to a higher-level version of the same weapon?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

If I mod a weapon can I transfer the mods to a higher-level version of the same weapon?

No, you'll have to mod the new weapon at the weapons bench with the mods you want. You learn mods from plans or scrapping weapons of the same type. You can also find mod pieces as a consumable for a one time mod in certain items.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I learnt the mod recipes from scrapping, but I have to spend the screws etc anew?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

I learnt the mod recipes from scrapping, but I have to spend the screws etc anew?

Yep. I know it sucks early on, but you'll eventually be swimming in junk later on and its a non issue. If you are short on screws, look for type writers and globes. There are a ton in bogtown on the top floor of the tallest building.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

i flunked out posted:

I'm not saying there isnt a reason to eat or drink. I was saying theres no negative consequences for not eating it.

Yeah, I somehow managed to misread that. Sorry about that. :)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The first melee attack in VATS teleports me to my opponent, is there any benefit to making the followup attacks in VATS.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The first melee attack in VATS teleports me to my opponent, is there any benefit to making the followup attacks in VATS.

You can usually bypass the shell defences on mirelurks and such by VATSing them instead of manually striking them, and I believe VATS still does full damage if an enemy tries to block your melee attack.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do the Prydwyn and Boston airport share a workshop inventory?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Baron Porkface posted:

The Prydwen is a settlement?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Yes, but you can't actually build anything on the prydwen. I think the shared inventory is for the power armour workstations.

Also Boston Airport as a settlement sucks if you don't have caravans to other settlements, because it's a nightmare trying to find dirt patches to grow food/water.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Fallout 1 is refusing to start on gog even when I've installed fixt. I started using the play fallout fixt shortcut instead and that seemed to work but making the resolution too high caused a crash. Any tips?

Edit: Now it's refusing to start when I use the Play Fallout Fixt shortcut too. What should I do?

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 11, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What sort of things should I be keeping an eye out for when I go through peoples vending machines?

Looting their water purifiers and crops doesn't remove the item for them too does it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone on Fallout 76 PC have a Healing Factor Serum to sell? I'm bugbugbugbug ingame.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, looting crops and water filters causes them to disappear for the owner... but they produce so quickly that I don't think there is any harm.

As for what to look for: any plans that you are missing that are marked sub 10 caps. 1 cap ammo of the gun you use most, and cheaply priced legendaries if you aren't running up against the daily script cap.

Plans that are marked above 10 are either have an inflated price OR stupidly rare. Like I spent 2000 caps on Nuka Quantum paint for power armour , because in all my months of playing I haven't seen it anywhere else and pretty blue and purple paint.

Something I want to know about legendary modifers: I've been selling bloodied, junkie, and vangaurd legendaries in my machines and scripting most else. Is there anything else I should be selling that people are looking for? I have some furious weapons that look okay.

EDIT:

buglord posted:

Anyone on Fallout 76 PC have a Healing Factor Serum to sell? I'm bugbugbugbug ingame.

If you don't mind waiting an hour and a half I can whip you up one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I literally just found one after posting. Thanks anyways goon!

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah, looting crops and water filters causes them to disappear for the owner... but they produce so quickly that I don't think there is any harm.

As for what to look for: any plans that you are missing that are marked sub 10 caps. 1 cap ammo of the gun you use most, and cheaply priced legendaries if you aren't running up against the daily script cap.

Plans that are marked above 10 are either have an inflated price OR stupidly rare. Like I spent 2000 caps on Nuka Quantum paint for power armour , because in all my months of playing I haven't seen it anywhere else and pretty blue and purple paint.

Something I want to know about legendary modifers: I've been selling bloodied, junkie, and vangaurd legendaries in my machines and scripting most else. Is there anything else I should be selling that people are looking for? I have some furious weapons that look okay.

The Quantum paint plan is tied to a mini quest. 2000 caps ain't much but you could have gotten it for free. :)

For Furious weapons it depends solely on the 2nd and 3rd star. A Furious Explosive .50 or LMG can be quite valuable. If you have a Furious Explosive Energy weapon you might have won the lottery as those are legacies and can sell for a fortune.

AA or Vampire can be pretty great as well.

For Armor, Unyielding and Vanguard although with the introduction of secret service armor you'll definitely need a good 2nd and 3rd star to get a decent amount of caps.

You can use Fed76 but their prizes are suggestions, not written in stone. :)

https://fed76.info/pricing/?item=None&effects=None

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should I hold off on finishing the Crane quest until I'm level 50? Or just go ahead at 13?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Should I hold off on finishing the Crane quest until I'm level 50? Or just go ahead at 13?

The reason to hold off is to get a level 50 2 star legendary. I would probably say getting a legendary at 50 is slightly better than getting one while levelling because it's pretty easy to gain 5-10 levels and which leaves your legendary out levelled. But it really isn't a big deal one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
[Apologies if boasting(?) I’m just amped and wanted to share with folks who understand.]

Been playing 76 since last summer and I think I hit the RNG lotto last night:
- “Speed Demon” mutation from walking across a puddle outside Crater
- Vampire/fast fire rate .50cal on my first buy in purveyor sale
- AA/limb/reduced weight .50cal for 1500 caps in a CAMP next to mine

Looks like I’m rebuilding as rifle/heavy gunner. (I use a furious, explosive handmade as my main.)