Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

regardless of house sound or not, I would encourage anybody building a HT to strongly consider going with at least 5.25” drivers or up for the fronts and center channel.

I'll go a step further, and recommend 6.5" (hell, I prefer 8"), with a big caveat that whether or not you'll care depends very much on room size, your listening volume, and how sensitive you are to certain types of distortion.

But even in a small room, with low listening volumes, I agree that 5.25" really should be considered the minimum. Unless your only criteria are 'tiny' and 'sounds better than the tv speakers.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Yah unfortunately hearing them in person isn't really an option for me even COVID aside. The one mid-high end home theater store I know of nearby closed down last year and their prices from what I hear would've had me do a 360 out the door. We have a Magnolia Best Buy but their stock seems to consist of multi-thousand $$$ MartinLogan gear and a random mix of other stuff, I could get a single ELAC tower but not a pair for instance.

I keep seeing SVS subs recommended but not much good about their speakers, would mixing a PB-1000 + ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 towers and a center be a worthy upgrade over the mid-range Klipsch RP gear I've been looking at? Looks like a couple hundred difference in the cost which is more than I want to spend but its plausible whatever I buy now I'll keep for many many many years assuming it still works so I can stretch. Any concern with the 6 ohm, not as high efficiency, ELAC towers on a TRS-700?

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 10, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
The Yamaha is out of stock everywhere, and best buy doesn't even have a restock date :(

The Denon X2700h is out of my price range. Are there any other options in the 8k arena that are ok? Or should I just wait out the shortage on the Yamaha?

*edit* Might save up a bit more and get the denon... but I have a question on that. All of my speakers are 6ohm. Am I reading the denon specs right that if my speakers are 6ohm the amp can deliver 125watts to them? The Andrew jones towers are listed tat 130W RMS. So I guess I'm hoping to get a receiver that can come close to that (that is also 8k), does that matter?

From the denon specspage
Number of Power Amps 7
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 95 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) No
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 125 W

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 10, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You're typically sending fewer than 10 WPC to your speakers. Unless your goal is to routinely run really loud for long periods any decent receiver should be fine. Also you probably don't need to spend $900 on a receiver for $199 speakers. Why do you feel like you need the 2700 instead of a cheaper Denon? Supply issues are probably going to continue for most of the year so make sure you get what you want.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

Denon X2700h on sale (list 900 i see them going for 850)

Am I misremembering that the previous X2600 was typically on sale for $500-600ish? I'm waiting for the X2700 to go down in price.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

qirex posted:

You're typically sending fewer than 10 WPC to your speakers. Unless your goal is to routinely run really loud for long periods any decent receiver should be fine. Also you probably don't need to spend $900 on a receiver for $199 speakers. Why do you feel like you need the 2700 instead of a cheaper Denon? Supply issues are probably going to continue for most of the year so make sure you get what you want.

I need something with eARC, so I can send 5.1 uncompressed from my xbox to the receiver through the tv. And 4k 120hz.

Thanks for the explanation :).

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 10, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Older and cheaper receivers have eARC, no receivers have Xbox series X 4k120 support at the moment. Yamaha doesn't currently support high framerate 4k at all, it's a "future update" nobody's seen yet. There is not a single AVR on the market with full, actually working support for 48gbps signals. It's entirely possible nothing for sale today will ever properly support it. If I was in your shoes I'd get something cheaper with eARC and forget about 2.1 switching for a couple years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KozmoNaut posted:

I would highly recommend listening to any speakers in person before throwing down cash, or at least buying from a vendor that lets you do a home trial or free returns.

Klipsch speakers have a rather divisive sound signature, it's very forward*. Some people enjoy that in-your-face presentation, others find it grating, shouty and harsh. It's very first-row-at-a-concert.

*As a comparison, another brand with a very well-known sound signature is Sennheiser, who are famous/infamous for their very laid-back, middle-to-rear-seating-in-the-venue type of sound. Again, some people love it, some people think it throws a veil over the sound.

That's what I love about Klipsch. They make you feel *there*.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

qirex posted:

Older and cheaper receivers have eARC, no receivers have Xbox series X 4k120 support at the moment. Yamaha doesn't currently support high framerate 4k at all, it's a "future update" nobody's seen yet. There is not a single AVR on the market with full, actually working support for 48gbps signals. It's entirely possible nothing for sale today will ever properly support it. If I was in your shoes I'd get something cheaper with eARC and forget about 2.1 switching for a couple years.

I am not expecting the supply issues to go away and am hoping that denon/yamaha/all will honor the fact that we purchased a 2.1 spec and either repair them or the firmware will correct the issue eventually.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kilazar posted:

I am not expecting the supply issues to go away and am hoping that denon/yamaha/all will honor the fact that we purchased a 2.1 spec and either repair them or the firmware will correct the issue eventually.

They will not do so and 2 years ago the HDMI forum said there's no "spec" or certification testing it's just a voluntarily adopted set of features.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

If I want a receiver like this, anything better than the denon 750? Seems like they’re easily found for under $400.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

Well you sold me, I actually ran 3x 48gbps HDMI cables to my TV for this situation, any recommendations though? I see lots of complaints of eARC issues with receivers to. Whole situation seems like a crapshoot.

After more research I ended up going back towards getting bookshelf speakers instead of towers and spending more on a sub than I'd planned, like nearly my whole original off the cuff budget. Crutchfield is still selling discounted prior generation Klipsch speakers so I ordered a pair of RP-160M, a RP-450C and an SVS PB-2000.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honestly I would try to find people with the exact same combo of equipment as you to research specific models since it seems like every device has quirks. AVS is genuinely useful for this as long as you don't catch the brainworms.

Makes me feel a tiny bit good about downgrading to stereo, everything puts out bitstream! [Also everything costs at least as much as surround gear!]

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Very germaine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX7HnNd5PB4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

Makes me feel a tiny bit good about downgrading to stereo, everything puts out bitstream! [Also everything costs at least as much as surround gear!]

yeah, if it’s me I always want to spend the same amount just on fewer, fancier, speakers, etc

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

qirex posted:

They will not do so and 2 years ago the HDMI forum said there's no "spec" or certification testing it's just a voluntarily adopted set of features.

I just realized I been thinking about this wrong thanks to you :D. Since I'm never going to run my two game consoles THROUGH the receiver, I don't need an 8k capable one. I just need (as you said) something with eARC. So I come back and ask for one more recommendation on a descent 5.1 or even 7.1 unit that will be enough to power the Andrew Jones (we do watch movies at -5 THX relative on movie nights). If that is 90 then cool, I don't know much about powering speakers at that level.

If the price is cheap enough I might buy a couple of ok speakers for surround channel and let my current in ceiling speakers repurpose to atmos.

*edit*
Maybe this guy?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-2-ch-with-dolby-atmos-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6219445.p?skuId=6219445

euw no banana plugs for some of speaker connections. f that.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 12, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kilazar posted:

I just realized I been thinking about this wrong thanks to you :D. Since I'm never going to run my two game consoles THROUGH the receiver, I don't need an 8k capable one. I just need (as you said) something with eARC. So I come back and ask for one more recommendation on a descent 5.1 or even 7.1 unit that will be enough to power the Andrew Jones (we do watch movies at -5 THX relative on movie nights). If that is 90 then cool, I don't know much about powering speakers at that level.

If the price is cheap enough I might buy a couple of ok speakers for surround channel and let my current in ceiling speakers repurpose to atmos.

*edit*
Maybe this guy?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-2-ch-with-dolby-atmos-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6219445.p?skuId=6219445

euw no banana plugs for some of speaker connections. f that.

Sounds like you and I are in a similar situation, ie, looking for a 4K receiver that can do 5.1 until “good” 8k receivers come out. Maybe the denon s750h? Looks like you can get a refurb for $380. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 12, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You can put posts on the end of your speaker wire if the receiver does everything else you want. Helps differentiate your fronts from your rears, too.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

BigFactory posted:

You can put posts on the end of your speaker wire if the receiver does everything else you want. Helps differentiate your fronts from your rears, too.

In searching for speaker posts, I'm only coming up with things that don't look like they would work with those "alegator" (sorry not sure what to call that type of plug) looking inputs. Help a brother out with a sample image/product?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilazar posted:

In searching for speaker posts, I'm only coming up with things that don't look like they would work with those "alegator" (sorry not sure what to call that type of plug) looking inputs. Help a brother out with a sample image/product?

you can just use bare wires it's really not that bad. maybe tin the ends with some solder if you're that much of a stickler

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've literally never used banana plugs or spade lugs or anything of the sort for speaker wires, just take around 1cm of isolation off the end, twist the strands together nicely and put that in the screw post or clip.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kilazar posted:

I can’t vouch for this brand, but I’m sure they’re fine. They call them pins. https://www.showmecables.com/speaker-pin-plastic-black-red?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuu-878Tk7gIVrItaBR0T9QgGEAQYCSABEgL39PD_BwE

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks, even with those plugs that receiver still doesn't work as it's normal ARC. It's really hard to find a sub 600 receiver with eARC. For some reason I figured a 4k receiver would have eARC when I linked that one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kilazar posted:

Thanks, even with those plugs that receiver still doesn't work as it's normal ARC. It's really hard to find a sub 600 receiver with eARC. For some reason I figured a 4k receiver would have eARC when I linked that one.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1600h/denon-avr-x1600h-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv4a/yamaha-rx-v4a-5.2-ch-x-80-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-new/1.html

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I ended up finding an RX-V6A a local BB still had in stock. Didn't particularly want to spend an extra $200 over the Costco version but I feel like there's crazy shortages of everything electronic right now so who knows when stock is going back to normal. PC components have got me very much over the F5 shopping game already.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the help! Grabbed the yamaha 5.1 from that accessories for less site. They actually had it in stock unlike all other sites I tried

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kilazar posted:

Denon S750 has it for under $400? :confused:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Is there any reason the video wouldn’t be coming through, but audio would? I’m using an apple tv and when I opened up Hulu the screen started flashing to black. It will stay black for 2-3 seconds and then go back to the Apple TV for 1-2 seconds and then go black etc. sometimes it kicks out to the “no input” screen on the TV and then will go back to black/Apple TV. Audio is working fine the whole time. The input on my 4K player is just black with the occasional cut to the “no input”. The PS4 works both audio/video. I’m running everything through a Denon s750 receiver. They all have the same hdmi cords that I bought two months ago. This happened once before and I had to unplug everything to get it working again. Any ideas what’s going on? The receiver will randomly turn off, maybe once every 2 weeks, while using it. Usually it’s when I’m just listening to music, but sometimes when I’m watching movies. I’m wondering if it might all be related?

Edit: I spoke too soon, it started happening to the PS4 albeit it at a much slower rate.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 13, 2021

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

yoohoo posted:

Is there any reason the video wouldn’t be coming through, but audio would? I’m using an apple tv and when I opened up Hulu the screen started flashing to black. It will stay black for 2-3 seconds and then go back to the Apple TV for 1-2 seconds and then go black etc. sometimes it kicks out to the “no input” screen on the TV and then will go back to black/Apple TV. Audio is working fine the whole time. The input on my 4K player is just black with the occasional cut to the “no input”. The PS4 works both audio/video. I’m running everything through a Denon s750 receiver. They all have the same hdmi cords that I bought two months ago. This happened once before and I had to unplug everything to get it working again. Any ideas what’s going on? The receiver will randomly turn off, maybe once every 2 weeks, while using it. Usually it’s when I’m just listening to music, but sometimes when I’m watching movies. I’m wondering if it might all be related?

Edit: I spoke too soon, it started happening to the PS4 albeit it at a much slower rate.

Directly connect the PS4 and Apple TV to the TV. Do they work? My gut feeling is that if this happens with both your PS4 and ATV it rules out bad cables so it's either the TV or receiver.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

mariooncrack posted:

Directly connect the PS4 and Apple TV to the TV. Do they work? My gut feeling is that if this happens with both your PS4 and ATV it rules out bad cables so it's either the TV or receiver.

Everything works if I plug it directly into the TV. My gut is there's something wrong with the receiver, but if this isn't a known issue or something other people run into I'll reach out to Denon and see what they suggest.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Finally got my new eARC receiver but I still can't send 5.1 uncompressed from my xbox one x through my tv to receiver.

LG CX is the tv

I have tried setting the tv audio input as pcm, and then pass through on the output. And many other combinations on the tv with no luck.

Anyone have suggestions?

Managed to get a YAMAHA RX-V6A.

Edit: got it working.. not sure how. Just after a ton of restarts of all the equipment it finally started working.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 20, 2021

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Kilazar posted:

Managed to get a YAMAHA RX-V6A.

What do you think about this. There's an open box available at my local Best Buy for $425 and I was considering it since after getting a new TV, the receiver is a bit out of date in the HDMI department.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Can anyone recommend a non lovely ground loop isolator for a sub? I have hum due to sub being on a different circuit or whatever.

I have one of those $10 1" wide cylinder ones made for car audio, doesn't work great but had it already.

Most on Amazon are like that, but then they jump up in price like this one, which maybe would work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1PK5W/

Looking to eliminate hum obviously, but also have the auto on/off feature work again. It's just always on due to this.

Edit: there also appears to be a method of isolating on the ac side, which costs double:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E4YI8/

falz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 21, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have that exact blue jeans cable one and it 100% solved the same problem for me.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Dogen posted:

I have that exact blue jeans cable one and it 100% solved the same problem for me.
Thanks, were you in the same situation- sub on a different ac circuit? They list a few other scenarios in the description but this is definitely mine (only happened when I moved the sub, and I know this is a different circuit)

One Amazon review said it compresses some stuff at high volume but that's an unlikely scenario for me to use frequently.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm honestly not sure what the cause was, I think it might be that they're both on the same surge protector and that can cause a ground loop somehow? But it's the same symptom- humming when the system is off, and not letting the sub auto-off.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You can also pick up mains hum if the subwoofer cable is long enough and cheap. If it's picking it up like that you'll get the hum even if you unplug the end of the cable that's connected to the receiver.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah if you’re getting it without the sub being plugged into the source ya got other problems

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

LorneReams posted:

What do you think about this. There's an open box available at my local Best Buy for $425 and I was considering it since after getting a new TV, the receiver is a bit out of date in the HDMI department.

I loving love it. I was initially planning on replacing the Andrew Jones tower/center speaker set along with the receiver just a couple months down the road. But now I think I'll wait a year. I'm not sure if maybe I got something wrong in my Onkyo, but my speakers sound amazing compared to how they sounded under the Onkyo. I can listen at lower volumes and actually hear the whole range. I am very pleased with this purchase.

Just to make sure it wasn't a "new shiny" justification, I kept the Onkyo in place (and reconfirmed I had all my calibration and settings as right as I could make them). Then swapped back and forth over the course of the day. Then I made my wife blind test the sound and tell me which one she felt she could hear clearer. It's still subjective, but I feel that this was a big improvement over the TX-NR616.

I do not pretend to be a professional or really know what I"m doing lol. But I did notice that the onkyo is 8ohm impedance, while the yamaha is 6 or 8. And the AJ speakers are 6. I wonder if this had anything to do with the difference? I don't really notice much of a difference with the yamaha and AJ's when I change the receiver impedance setting between 6 or 8ohms.

So now that I'm under budget, I need a new pair of surround channel speakers. Anyone have opinions on the Klipsch R-41M bookshelf speakers? My current surrounds are mounted in ceiling (came with the house) and I"m going to repurpose those to presence. I'm open to other suggestions for the surround pair as well. These seem a bit overkill for surround channel?

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-41...844&sr=8-4&th=1

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilazar posted:

So now that I'm under budget, I need a new pair of surround channel speakers. Anyone have opinions on the Klipsch R-41M bookshelf speakers? My current surrounds are mounted in ceiling (came with the house) and I"m going to repurpose those to presence. I'm open to other suggestions for the surround pair as well. These seem a bit overkill for surround channel?

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-41...844&sr=8-4&th=1

Ideally you wanna match your speakers, at least to the same family. It's not really very important with surrounds, but my concern is that Klipsch are famously pretty sensitive and also tonally kind of bright. They may not play 100% nicely with your Andrew Jones. Try looking for speakers close in terms of sensitivity.

Hell, for the money I'd maybe wait for a Jamo S-8XX series package at $230 deal and replace the whole kit and caboodle, but that's me.