Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Samovar posted:

If this is true:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Edit: oh goodness, this'll probably mean there'll probably be strasserite-cop and fascist-futurist-cop. I look forward (i.e. will hate) to see what happens with that.

I'm guessing they'll go with more obvious ones like anarchist rather than obscure subgenres of nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

it's still weird that kim will just come out and explain to joyce that you've lost your memory when you haven't talked to him about it.

Is that before or after Kim suggests you use your weird to throw her off? (which I failed to do) Seems like telling her would also spoil that ploy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm guessing they'll go with more obvious ones like anarchist rather than obscure subgenres of nazi

The real spicy one would be a take on idpol radlib, throwing out word salads of academic bodies and spaces jargon

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Creep Cop

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Lothario Cop
Noir Cop
Conspiracy Theorist Cop
Religious Symbolism Cop

Anarchist
Libertarian
Pacifist Environmentalist

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Final Cut's voice acting also means you can hear Measurehead narrate every single word of his race theory to you, all you need to do is ask politely :getin:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

multijoe posted:

The real spicy one would be a take on idpol radlib, throwing out word salads of academic bodies and spaces jargon

EorayMel posted:

Creep Cop

This would pretty much be the same thing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

multijoe posted:

Encyclopedia is already in the game.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Hey fellow Hobocops! I wrote an essay on the pale and Existentialism: https://haywiremag.com/features/the-miracle-animal-and-the-pale-inside-existential-thought-in-disco-elysium/

It's my first piece of games criticism! Haywire Magazine, a (free) online games criticism magazine, was unbelievably helpful and helped me re-write my monstrous, dense, and meandering first draft into something focused and readable. I argue the pale is a metaphor for existential nothingness unique to the human condition and walk through some of the broad strokes of Sartre's philosophy using characters and situations from DE. I'm happy to talk about it if the essay sparks anyone's interest.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Hey fellow Hobocops! I wrote an essay on the pale and Existentialism: https://haywiremag.com/features/the-miracle-animal-and-the-pale-inside-existential-thought-in-disco-elysium/

It's my first piece of games criticism! Haywire Magazine, a (free) online games criticism magazine, was unbelievably helpful and helped me re-write my monstrous, dense, and meandering first draft into something focused and readable. I argue the pale is a metaphor for existential nothingness unique to the human condition and walk through some of the broad strokes of Sartre's philosophy using characters and situations from DE. I'm happy to talk about it if the essay sparks anyone's interest.

Will try to look out this when I have the time. Thanks!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Digital Osmosis posted:

I should preface this with the fact that I know nothing of the writings of existentialism, but that whole realm of thought has always been interesting to me.

I really liked it! I felt it was fairly easy to follow even as someone who thought it might be too high level for them. The connections made between Sartre's philosophy and the in game events gave me a greater appreciation for the philosophy of existentialism itself as well as how the events and characters relate to one another in the game.

I really liked the breakdown of the Paledriver bits. It helped me grasp better what the pale is, as I was a bit confused about what it exactly was supposed to be in the game. I always sort of felt like it was meant to be ambiguous on purpose and while this definitely doesn't change that, it certainly helps break down the allegories and connect the bits.

Helped get me even more excited for playthrough #2 when the Final Cut is released.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Digital Osmosis posted:

This was a great read, and clearly (heh) written. You made a lot of points that I accepted on my playthrough, though the parts about Paledriver were newly interesting. I'd argue that rather than existence before essence, things already have an essence even when not manifested into existence, ala Plato's realm of the ideal.

Personally, I see the Pale as a realm of uncreation, like leaks in a game map - small areas that cause huge memory losses when compiling the (game) universe. As a game company, ZA/UM used that metaphor as both an existential and a exploration of mind that really holds Disco Elysium in a class of it's own.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I should preface this with the fact that I know nothing of the writings of existentialism, but that whole realm of thought has always been interesting to me.

I really liked the breakdown of the Paledriver bits. It helped me grasp better what the pale is, as I was a bit confused about what it exactly was supposed to be in the game. I always sort of felt like it was meant to be ambiguous on purpose and while this definitely doesn't change that, it certainly helps break down the allegories and connect the bits.

Glad you enjoyed it! And yeah, I think the pale is always going to be a little ambiguous. It'd be kind of weird if you could easily describe absolute nothingness. If stuff like "distance" breaks down in the pale how is human language inside the somethingness of reality going to have a shot at being accurate or complete?

Existentialism's primary philosophical texts are not super easy to read. They're firmly in the "continental philosophy" tradition which plays language games and invents words or re-uses words in weird ways to make points that are outside the bounds of normal language. I will say however that existentialist literature is a lot more accessible. No Exit is a great little play. Tons of people love The Stranger (I didn't, but I haven't read it in like a decade so I'm not sure how I'd feel now) and The Plague is pretty good too. Waiting for Godot and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead are also two great plays that strong communicate absurd/existential themes and ideas. I've not read him yet but Dostoevsky, especially The Brothers Karamazov gets serious existential cred and is often covered in overviews of existential thought.

Desdinova posted:

This was a great read, and clearly (heh) written. You made a lot of points that I accepted on my playthrough, though the parts about Paledriver were newly interesting. I'd argue that rather than existence before essence, things already have an essence even when not manifested into existence, ala Plato's realm of the ideal.

Personally, I see the Pale as a realm of uncreation, like leaks in a game map - small areas that cause huge memory losses when compiling the (game) universe. As a game company, ZA/UM used that metaphor as both an existential and a exploration of mind that really holds Disco Elysium in a class of it's own.

Ha! Sartre's formulation is an explicit rejection of Plato. Plato is basically the O.G. of western philosophy (and even the "inventor" of the whole thing, Socrates, is someone we basically only know through Plato's writings.) His "essence before existence" idea, of forms and such, had been debated in the west for thousands of years. People accepted it and people rejected it-- but Sartre was more or less the first one to think to flip it around. He claimed this was kinda the final blow against metaphysics but has been critized (here by Heidegger) because "the reversal of a metaphysical statement remains a metaphysical statement." (In general, I find the deployment of "metaphysics" in continental philosophy pretty funny. Thinkers are always like "And with this work I have finally killed off metaphysics!" And then of course the next generation comes along and says "Wow, they were really close, but in the end they fell back into metaphysics. But with MY work...")

There's lots of fourth-wall cracking in DE and I'm not 100% sure what to make of it. The pale absolutely operates in that mode at times. Someone pointed out to me that the very difficult achievement you get for glitching the game into causing you to teleport is called "Palerunner." There's defiantly something there, IMO, about using those pokes at the fourth-wall to get at... I'm not sure. The idea of the sublime, maybe? It might also just be like, a postmodern convention-- they know by acknowledging the artifice of the game, people who might be too ironic to take a straight-faced idea or emotional beat can lower their guard. Like "oh, it's in on it too."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There are differences between the religious existentialists and the existentialists you are ignoring that stem mostly from reading the religious ones from a non religious perspective.

I think the game doesn’t overlook that difference. The pale is nothingness. The pale is also the accumulation, history and weight of the all ideas of the past. You are emphasizing the first at the expense of the second in your analysis.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 12, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Soysaucebeast posted:

Do we have a definitive release date aside from "sometime in March" yet? I was at Gamestop yesterday (the boyfriend needed to make a run and I tagged along) and I asked them about it, and the guy had never even heard of the game. Which I guess is understandable since it's been PC only up until now, but not a good indicator that they are going to get a decent amount of stock if any. I'm holding off on a second run until the update comes out, but I'm getting antsy.
I wouldn't use physical game copies or Gamestop as an indicator of anything nowadays.

That said, "sometime in March"(and "sometime in summer" for the switch port) is the most specific release date we have.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.ign.com/articles/disco-elysium-the-final-cut-voice-acting-console-release

Most relevant bits of that interview:

* Some voice roles have been recast but favorites like Kim and Evrart have stayed on.
* All 24 skills will have the same voice: that of Lenval Brown, who narrates the Final Cut trailer and will also narrate the passive voice portions. Meaning he literally voices half the game's 1.2 million-word script. Poor bastard.

Let's see how the new guys do. Tbh I think the only voice I'd personally replace was Jean's, since he sounds way too cartoonish, especially since you only get to hear him speak at the ending.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 12, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/disco-elysium-the-final-cut-voice-acting-console-release

* Some voice roles have been recast but favorites like Kim and Evrart have stayed on.
* All 24 skills will have the same voice: that of Lenval Brown, who narrates the Final Cut trailer and will also narrate the passive voice portions. Meaning he literally voices half the game's 1.2 million-word script. Poor bastard.

Let's see how the new guys do. Tbh I think the only voice I'd personally replace was Jean's, since he sounds way too cartoonish, especially since you only get to hear him speak at the ending.

“The narrator is the voice of Disco Elysium,” Hindpere emphasises. “He reads all non-direct speech. This means every object, every parenthesis, and so on. Only when we miraculously stumbled upon Lenval Brown did we know: ok, we have the voice of Disco Elysium now. We can really attempt to do this.”

Does this mean even stuff outside of quotation marks like a character putting down or picking up an object, and Harry arguing with inanimate objects is also going to be voice acted by Lenval Brown, being an overall narrator in addition to Inland Empire saying you are too sad to jerk off?

:getin: :pray: :flashfap:

Also, Jean does speak a little bit before the end When he arrives in Whirling-In-Rags wearing a disguise to give you poo poo about how bad of a police officer you are

Also also:

quote:

Finding the ideal actors for the likes of The Deserter and Paledriver has been one thing, but the biggest challenge ZA/UM faced was finding a voice to bring the whole experience together. “The narrator is the voice of Disco Elysium,” Hindpere emphasises. “He reads all non-direct speech. This means every object, every parenthesis, and so on. Only when we miraculously stumbled upon Lenval Brown did we know: ok, we have the voice of Disco Elysium now. We can really attempt to do this.”

The role of the narrator in Disco Elysium is much more than a voice to guide the player between conversations. As well as a storyteller, Brown is also the voice of the 24 different skills, which manifest as individual ‘characters’ within the protagonist's mind.

“As a final note – I’ll get pretty in-depth now, but hey! you’re reading an interview with a Disco Elysium dev so you get what you pay for – in our psychological system the 24 skills all reside in the same part of your character’s brain: the Posterior Neocortex, where modern science says consciousness lies,” adds Hindpere. “The casting sheet literally says: POSTERIOR NEOCORTEX. So the skills all share the voice of the Posterior Neocortex. There are different brain-voices in the game too: the Ancient Reptilian Brain, the Limbic System and the Spinal Cord (all narrate your dreams). Those have different voices, because they are truly different parts of your character’s brain.”

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 12, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

Jesus. I've never done voice acting, but having to keep 24 different 'voices' straight though that large of a script seems incredibly daunting. Lenval seems up to it but holy cow.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I was expecting different voice actors for the skills but honestly I kind of like the idea of using one. It's all different facets of the same brain after all. Excited to see how much they're tweaked to seem separate from each other.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Shivers should have a different voice actor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was just thinking that Shivers is going to be weird here, considering that it's theoretically a skill that exists outside of Harry, as well as being coded female due to being the city itself. It would make more sense for Shivers to have a different VA, yeah.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's his ability to commune with the city, so I shall allow it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Lenval the same person currently doing the reptile/other part of Harry’s brains?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Is Lenval the same person currently doing the reptile/other part of Harry’s brains?

No, those are done by Mikee Goodman. That interview seems to give the impression that they just stumbled onto Lenval (who is a jazz musician by trade) after release and thought "This is the guy. He needs to be Harry's brain and our narrator."

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There are differences between the religious existentialists and the existentialists you are ignoring that stem mostly from reading the religious ones from a non religious perspective.

I think the game doesn’t overlook that difference. The pale is nothingness. The pale is also the accumulation, history and weight of the all ideas of the past. You are emphasizing the first at the expense of the second in your analysis.

Yeah, I can see that being true. I've read a bit of Kierkegaard and a bit of Buber but by-and-large I know more about the atheistic existentialists than the religious ones. I hope that wasn't a particularly big fault in my article. I tried to be up-front that existentialism is a pretty heterogenous movement and that I was focused mostly on Sartre (and to a less extent Camus.) I had a lot of other tangents in my first draft which was about twice as long but I think focusing the essay on Sartre's perspective helped keep it readable.

That said, if you know something about religious existentialism, either in this context or just a good place to start reading more, I'd love to hear it. It sounds like you're saying that rather than focus on nothingness religious existentialists focus on the totality of history and the history of ideas. I did find that discussed in the pale but I ultimately found it a less consistent theme than nothingness and I thought I could explain it by discussing "facticity" and to some extent "thrownness" (which I never mention by name.) To me the-pale-as-past is mostly useful to highlight that once things have happened, either to you or by you, you cannot change them with an act of will and that implicitly brings up nothingness. I'd love to hear another perspective. It sounds like religious existentialism views the facticity of the weight of history as a separate and important phenomenon, not just a subset of being/nothingness. Is that right? How does one reconcile existentialist absurdism with religious faith? It seems kind of impossible. My understanding was that Kierkegaard was like "well I ultimately can't be sure that Christianity is right but I choose to believe in it to give my life meaning" which might be, as you pointed out, approaching theistic existentialism from an atheistic perspective. I'm not sure how to combine a traditional (non-self-conscious-leap-of-faith-subjective-choice) religious belief with the existential ideals of freedom, authenticity, and absurdity-- in other words I'm not sure how someone raised to believe in a theistic view of the universe, who never questioned those beliefs, would take on the existential perspective. Do they throw some of the atheistic existential tenants (like absurdism) out, or is there some other point that lets them fit together than I don't yet understand?

I appreciate any perspective you might have on this, or a suggestion of what to read to give me a better perspective on it!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AceOfFlames posted:

No, those are done by Mikee Goodman. That interview seems to give the impression that they just stumbled onto Lenval (who is a jazz musician by trade) after release and thought "This is the guy. He needs to be Harry's brain and our narrator."

Hmmmm....i hope he's real drat good because the current reptile/limbic dude is loving awesome. The reptile makes me picture Tone Loc as the lizard in Ferngully, but with an English accent.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
He's the trailer guy right? "In a city on the edge of the world" etc? He is pretty good in the trailers at least.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

UP AND ADAM posted:

He's the trailer guy right? "In a city on the edge of the world" etc? He is pretty good in the trailers at least.

Yeah, sounds like a grittier Idris Elba, which I am very down for.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is this final cut with all of the voice acting going to be a free upgrade if we already own it? DLC? Something else?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bold Robot posted:

Is this final cut with all of the voice acting going to be a free upgrade if we already own it? DLC? Something else?

It's a free update if you already own Disco Elysium. If you don't own the game, probably better to wait until March until it comes out then pick it up for the wholesome experience all at once

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you don't own the game yet but definitely want to play final cut on PC, now is a pretty good time to buy it, it's 45% off on steam until the 18th. Maybe it'll be discounted similarly when final cut comes out but if I were them I wouldn't

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Hmm, so -everything- being voice acted means that Kim will say the daba-doop-doop-dead ASMR himself, and then there's an overall narrator saying not one muscle in his face moves afterward?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Digital Osmosis posted:

I appreciate any perspective you might have on this, or a suggestion of what to read to give me a better perspective on it!

If you are primarily familiar with Sartre go with Tillich. Years and years ago some of the best conversations I’ve had on these forums were looking at the similarity between Sartre’s final projects and Tillich’s concept of faith as Ultimate concern for. Dynamics of Faith is a good start.

Edit: The Socialist Decision is good too, as a response / rebuke of Heidegger and fascism.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 13, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If Cuno's VA changes I will riot.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope Cuno alternates from his regular voice to Gilbert Gottfried.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I wouldn't say no to just a hair of a tick down in volume tho. just a hair

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hawkperson posted:

What’s that? You can’t hear Cuno? He should be louder, you say?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hawkperson posted:

gently caress does Cuno care?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

Hmmmm....i hope he's real drat good because the current reptile/limbic dude is loving awesome. The reptile makes me picture Tone Loc as the lizard in Ferngully, but with an English accent.

From the article:

"“As a final note – I’ll get pretty in-depth now, but hey! you’re reading an interview with a Disco Elysium dev so you get what you pay for – in our psychological system the 24 skills all reside in the same part of your character’s brain: the Posterior Neocortex, where modern science says consciousness lies,” adds Hindpere. “The casting sheet literally says: POSTERIOR NEOCORTEX. So the skills all share the voice of the Posterior Neocortex. There are different brain-voices in the game too: the Ancient Reptilian Brain, the Limbic System and the Spinal Cord (all narrate your dreams). Those have different voices, because they are truly different parts of your character’s brain.”"

There's actually a lot of information in it! Worth reading, imo.

AceOfFlames posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im guessing they're re-casting titus, klassje and the scab leader considering how much dialogue those characters have and that their voice actors are not really VAs in the typical sense