Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

that's the other main ingredient of crab salad :shrug:

you have a non-mayo piece of crab in there, or you go home

crab salad only belongs in the deep fried rolls where you're acknowledging the depths of your sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i'm a crab tbh

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

vanya runs sideways when he's really excited and i often accuse him of crabness / crabbery

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Sidestepping is a pro move. FPS games were a lot more fun when I learned to strafe. It's only sensible that there would be species, such as the fierce crab, that never needed to do anything else.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

first zoom class and omg

just, omg

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

an offering for the sacred jackal

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

perepelki posted:

an offering for the sacred jackal

:blessed:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
apparently gina carano was fired last november, lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
who will they get to be bad at acting now???

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't remember if i made this complaint before, but coming in late to the whole mandalorian thing, i was shocked by how bad the writing and acting was. all of the production touches somehow make it worth watching, but i'm still kind of surprised it actually found an audience

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
a lot of the dialogue is deliberately campy (carl weathers is the most obvious example), but carano was straight up a block of wood

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i didn't mean to imply every actor was bad. carl weathers, giancarlo esposito, werner herzog the few times he shows up, they're great. but a huge chunk of the secondary and incidental characters are like people they dragged off of local access and put in better costumes

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958762

i'm playing spectral stalkers (1991)

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I like this recipe

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the crab was not salient to explaining what a crunchy roll was or how a california roll differs from other maki rolls!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

the crab was not salient to explaining what a crunchy roll was or how a california roll differs from other maki rolls!

maybe it was actually about the crab this entire time

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Forums carcinification: the tendency of all conversations, given time, to change to the subject of crabs

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

:yeeclaw:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Pirate Radar posted:

Forums carcinification: the tendency of all conversations, given time, to change to the subject of crabs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/projectwuornos/status/1361128621985980417

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
giving the people a voice was a mistake

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs9c-mEHI6Y

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man in one year in this country we've had an utterly failed response to a global pandemic, a historic economic collapse, the clearest undermining of the bed rock of our political system yet, and obscured by it all, the clear demonstration that our infrastructure can not handle the phase of climate change we are entering

earlier today i was talking with my sister and the topic of memorized poetry happened to come up. i lamented that the only poem i have even a slight grasp on is 'the second coming' by yeats, because it so often feels relevant. afterwards i read about the people dying from carbon monoxide poisoning and requests for refrigerated corpse trucks in texas

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

it's a momentous time to be human

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i'm letting the catastrophic future console my guilt about the late-capitalist present. every time i'm forced to drive or use too much electricity, i think "i'll be punished justly in time"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
personally i think we're being punished for the food crimes kals documents

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
waking up to the news that the world has one less monstrous pedophile nazi around is just the greatest

rest in poo poo rush limbaugh

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the clear demonstration that our infrastructure can not handle the phase of climate change we are entering

Nah, this is pretty much entirely because Texas is an anti-regulatory infra hellhole on everything from zoning to building codes to energy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

waking up to the news that the world has one less monstrous pedophile nazi around is just the greatest

rest in poo poo rush limbaugh

hold up. we need to show some respect for the fallen, especially when it's someone who never gave up and worked tirelessly in the name of justice:

rush limbaugh's tumor

Discendo Vox posted:

Nah, this is pretty much entirely because Texas is an anti-regulatory infra hellhole on everything from zoning to building codes to energy.

that is the reason we aren't prepared, yes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Discendo Vox posted:

given that california just recently had to deal with widescale blackouts (though not of the same duration as texas), i'm inclined to disagree with you

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

people compare the usa to the fall of rome all the time, but don't often mention that rome had far better-quality public infrastructure than america

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

given that california just recently had to deal with widescale blackouts (though not of the same duration as texas), i'm inclined to disagree with you

Different causal mechanisms not reflecting infrastructural inadequacy toward climate change

Cease to Hope posted:

that is the reason we aren't prepared, yes

It's true that (despite their assurances to the contrary) Texas is part of the united states. Particularly on the subject of infra and climate change, texas is not remotely representative of the US as a whole.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Discendo Vox posted:

Different causal mechanisms not reflecting infrastructural inadequacy toward climate change

increasing peak temperature intensity and duration throughout the entire southwest is stressing the grid in southern california during heatwaves, recently to the point that demand began to outstrip supply. sustained drought conditions have increased the risks of high intensity, fast moving fires associated with high wind events throughout the state, and grid operators feel that their only option to avoid liability is to shutdown transmission lines. like the current crisis in texas, a large portion of the problem is extreme weather events moving outside of the baseline the system was designed to cope with, and whatever steps we are taking to modernize have not caught up. the reason why extreme weather events are becoming more severe and more common is due to climate change

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

It's true that (despite their assurances to the contrary) Texas is part of the united states. Particularly on the subject of infra and climate change, texas is not remotely representative of the US as a whole.

the ways in which texas is not prepared for this situation reflects the ways in which society fails under strain everywhere in the US every time an "unprecedented" yet predictable catastrophe exposes the lack of preparedness. this failure mirrors the failure of the US to handle COVID or white supremacist terror or gun violence

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

perepelki posted:

we will find ancient human bones on antarctica in time, and deep under the permfrost at the north pole. it will vindicate many people's sense of permanence, and lead to new theories of humanity and human evolution that hopefully won't result in a world war or mass genocide

Serious answer to a joking post: I mean, China made that old map of Antarctica's bedrock somehow, but I don't think supernatural causation can save us.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 18, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Big Hubris posted:

Serious answer to a joking post: I mean, China made that old map of Antarctica's bedrock somehow, but I don't think supernatural causation can save us.
do you have a link? i hadn't heard of that

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i think the denisovians came from antarctica and are descended from polar marsupial monkeys

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Big Hubris posted:

5000 years of cartography.

quote:

Antarctica is the coldest of Earth's continents. It was ice-free until about 34 million years ago, when it became covered with ice.

So, what is more likely:

1) Ancient China somehow mapped a continent under several kilometres of ice

2) It's bullshit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

1 since we just had an era that will be remembered for us president trying to help people out by suggesting them to drink bleach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, what is more likely:

1) Ancient China somehow mapped a continent under several kilometres of ice

2) It's bullshit
the chinese have inherited memory of the antarctican continent