Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So we watched this movie in the late 00's on Comcast OnDemand back when they would buy the rights a bunch of direct-to-video movies to put in their free section. It was a horror movie about a cursed (by satan I think?) phone booth where if you dial something like 1-900-DIE you would be cursed and you or people around you would die in over the top ways.

I don't remember much more other than that my group of friends thought it was surprisingly good.

Oh! And there was a little brother character who had a pet tarantula that killed someone as part of the curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Somewhat misremembered 976-EVIL ?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

trying to remember a movie I watched on like, IFC, back in like, 2005 or so. I remember it took place somewhere tropical and poor. possibly set on a Caribbean island. the main characters were poor. Maybe it was in Spanish. I think there was a party or festival in the street. It might have been a series of vignettes but I might be confusing it with coffee and cigarettes which I think was on around the same time on IFC

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This movie I think about every now and then and I saw it a bunch of times when I was very little which is wildly inappropriate in hindsight. there's a haunted house ? a man snorts a lot of cocaine and gives a woman an orgasm with his mind. Uhh There's also a black mammy housemaid or something.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

trying to remember a movie I watched on like, IFC, back in like, 2005 or so. I remember it took place somewhere tropical and poor. possibly set on a Caribbean island. the main characters were poor. Maybe it was in Spanish. I think there was a party or festival in the street. It might have been a series of vignettes but I might be confusing it with coffee and cigarettes which I think was on around the same time on IFC

Maybe a misrememberd City of God? Would have been on IFC a lot around that time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Price Check posted:

Maybe a misrememberd City of God? Would have been on IFC a lot around that time.

its the same vibe for sure but I think its a different movie. definitely remember it being more playful than city of god if that makes sense. I also saw city of god back then on IFC

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It might have been City of Men, the TV show spinoff that I think IFC also aired

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

morestuff posted:

It might have been City of Men, the TV show spinoff that I think IFC also aired

maybe... 2007 seems a little late though. I remember a couple more details... there is a man and woman, lovers. they are planning to meet up later.. and there is a large party / outdoor festival that dominates my memory of the movie / tv

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Astrochicken posted:

This movie I think about every now and then and I saw it a bunch of times when I was very little which is wildly inappropriate in hindsight. there's a haunted house ? a man snorts a lot of cocaine and gives a woman an orgasm with his mind. Uhh There's also a black mammy housemaid or something.

No haunted house, although there is freaky stuff. You're describing Modern Problems to a T.

Check out this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7z_Ga2e5Y

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astrochicken posted:

Agreed. That's definitely Modern Problems

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Custard Undies posted:

2nd one I'm positive was set in Vietnam and involved the soldiers on top of a waterfall and coming across th enemy that is below them. They end up throwing a heap of grenades down on the enemy below.

Any ideas? Both would be from the 80s/90s.

Platoon Leader (1988)

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Zogo posted:

Platoon Leader (1988)

That's the one! I remember the land mine scene too where the guy goes and pees while the other is holding it :xd:

Thanks, and thanks to the other poster for naming Kelly's Heroes too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

There's a time/dimension travel aspect to this movie.
The scenes I remember involve a younger man sitting before a council of more experience timetravelers(?), in a Victorian type living room, lots of dark wood and wallpaper.
The elders are judging the man for screwing up or messing with the past, and he keeps taking himself back in time to try to fix it, and keeps coming back to this setting.
The fashion seemed to be 50s, pretty conserative. I feel like it was set in England?

I always like it when loose ends are wrapped up --
I'm pretty sure this is About Time. The living room is far from Victorian, but definitely very dreary
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/mediaviewer/rm603433985/

Shame on me for not remembering both Nighy and Domhnall Gleeson are in it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No haunted house, although there is freaky stuff. You're describing Modern Problems to a T.

Check out this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7z_Ga2e5Y

Thanks. It's incredible how this scene makes me feel equal parts comfort, nostalgia and disturbed.

Going to have to track down this one and "The Toy" w/ Richard Pryor and do a double feature of movies I loved as a kid that have aged somewhat poorly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes, it is very odd when you see something that got stuck in your brain 30 years prior but haven't revisited since. Really shows the fallibility of memory.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yes, it is very odd when you see something that got stuck in your brain 30 years prior but haven't revisited since. Really shows the fallibility of memory.

Oh god, it's the craziest poo poo, especially when you're around someone who has zero attachment to whatever you've just unearthed. I had been searching for years for an old Captain Kangaroo episode, and when I finally saw it, uploaded a month prior oddly enough, I was almost in tears, partially from way more nostalgia than I expected, partially from the relief and validation that I didn't just make it up.

For reference my white whale was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdxDWEu99w0

Not the whole episode, but the Famous Amy part where she goes on some huge journey was the bit that I was trying to find.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you guys want an ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE story about that sensation - one that literally gave me goosebumps - check this out:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2h8bx

It's about a guy who can remember a hit song that literally *no one* else can remember and there's *no trace of it online*. It's wild.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

If you guys want an ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE story about that sensation - one that literally gave me goosebumps - check this out:

It's about a guy who can remember a hit song that literally *no one* else can remember and there's *no trace of it online*. It's wild.

2nd'ing this. There are some pretty incredible moments but I don't even want to hint much at what they are. I was in complete shock at one particular aspect that relates to the accuracy / fallibility of memory though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

2nd'ing this. There are some pretty incredible moments but I don't even want to hint much at what they are. I was in complete shock at one particular aspect that relates to the accuracy / fallibility of memory though.

I just listened to it, so I'd love to hear your take on it, especially what you're referring to that I've bolded. Was that the Prince thing? That reminded me so much about when Trent Reznor realized he'd accidentally ripped off, for lack of a better term, David Bowie's 'Crystal Japan' when he wrote 'A Warm Place'

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Oh wow. That was nuts; thanks for the link!

I spent that entire thing trying to figure out if something about the way that story was presented tricked me into a vague false memory of that dumb, clearly misremembered song. Then they said the songwriter was from Greensboro. Back in the 90s, I spent a lot of time at local rock shows in a town about 45 minutes from there, and when this album came out, I was DJing at a college/community radio station with a heavy focus on NC artists. I'm tempted to track down my old roommate who loved the poo poo out of that style of music and ask if she had a copy...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just listened to it, so I'd love to hear your take on it, especially what you're referring to that I've bolded. Was that the Prince thing? That reminded me so much about when Trent Reznor realized he'd accidentally ripped off, for lack of a better term, David Bowie's 'Crystal Japan' when he wrote 'A Warm Place'

It was more so the fact that after not hearing the song for decades, and not having any formal musical training, he was able to direct musicians to making a practically note-perfect rendition. When they compared the two songs, the real and the reproduction, I was agog at how similar they were

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

regulargonzalez posted:

It was more so the fact that after not hearing the song for decades, and not having any formal musical training, he was able to direct musicians to making a practically note-perfect rendition. When they compared the two songs, the real and the reproduction, I was agog at how similar they were

This was exactly how I felt. Just the fact that the guy in question could get it 95% percent accurate from a 20+ year old memory is wild.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

That was fantastic, thank you for sharing it!

I can't believe how absolutely spot on that recreation was. I'm not sure I could direct people to do something that close to songs I've heard a million times, even with some musical background.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can confirm, that's some good content. No surprise as they're both kind of in the Gimlet house style, but reminds me a LOT of the Belt Buckle episode of Mystery Show which has a great ending, too.

e:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wasn't McCartney terrified that he'd yanked the melody to Yesterday from somewhere else?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 11, 2021

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Yeah, he called up everyone he knew and played Yesterday for them, absolutely convinced that there was no way he could be the first to come up with such a simple melody.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mid 2000s film I believe, I remember the movie taking place at night. I think one was a taxi driver and the passenger was holding him hostage with a gun and he had a briefcase with something important in it. I remember most of the film being them driving around aimlessly having conversation until the middle or end of the film when the passenger exists the vehicle or something to go somewhere and I think the Taxi driver takes it upon himself to chase the passenger down and confront him.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

sigher posted:

Mid 2000s film I believe, I remember the movie taking place at night. I think one was a taxi driver and the passenger was holding him hostage with a gun and he had a briefcase with something important in it. I remember most of the film being them driving around aimlessly having conversation until the middle or end of the film when the passenger exists the vehicle or something to go somewhere and I think the Taxi driver takes it upon himself to chase the passenger down and confront him.

Sounds like Collateral.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yo homie, is that my briefcase? It’s definitely Collateral.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

sigher posted:

Mid 2000s film I believe, I remember the movie taking place at night. I think one was a taxi driver and the passenger was holding him hostage with a gun and he had a briefcase with something important in it. I remember most of the film being them driving around aimlessly having conversation [and the passenger kills a lot of people] until the middle or end of the film when the passenger exists the vehicle or something to go somewhere and I think the Taxi driver takes it upon himself to chase the passenger down and confront him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THANK YOU, I thought I was going insane because I kept thinking it was Changing Lanes but I read the synopsis and knew that it wasn't it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

That's absolutely the best!

On the note from the former producers who went into psychology about the theory he'd merged several songs together I had my own merging of things. I was convinced I had seen a skit parodying Alive made during the Phil Hartman era of SNL. I couldn't pinpoint any cast but the gist of my memory was a somber opening followed by enthusiastic survivors chowing down with abandon, having a great time. The killer line I remembered was Where's the dark meat? Oh, that's Passenger 57 In my memory the cinematography, tone, writing, and acting were all 90s era SNL (which I quite liked).

Cue many, many failed google searches, desperate attempts to search when SNL was added to NBC's website and Hulu to eventually find it was a skit on In Living Color that was primarily a Gene Simmons parody that hasn't aged well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awKJRRdSr4I

Memory is a fickle thing. Better to live on in ignorance sometimes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

Gene Simmons

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I would like to get that podcast song out of my head any day now

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I would like to get that podcast song out of my head any day now

lol I was humming it to myself this morning...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Similarly just this weekend I had to correct my brain that it was not in fact the Richard Simmons Def Comedy Jam

Though I want to see that now

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Similarly just this weekend I had to correct my brain that it was not in fact the Richard Simmons Def Comedy Jam

Though I want to see that now

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that too. In living color did a ton of Richard Simmons sketches for some reason.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Highly flamboyant, people don't take him seriously to begin with, possibly gay--Simmons was a pretty easy target back then.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes the joke was that Simmons was a very obvious confirmed bachelor, it was gay bashing and nothing more. Remember that gays had no representation at all beyond campy weirdos like "Serge" in Beverly Hills Cop or "Hollywood" in Mannequin or w/e so the idea of a feminine eccentric gay person was a novelty that could get cheap laughs. One that people still largely hadn't gotten over until sometime after Brokeback Mountain, sadly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yes the joke was that Simmons was a very obvious confirmed bachelor, it was gay bashing and nothing more. Remember that gays had no representation at all beyond campy weirdos like "Serge" in Beverly Hills Cop or "Hollywood" in Mannequin or w/e so the idea of a feminine eccentric gay person was a novelty that could get cheap laughs. One that people still largely hadn't gotten over until sometime after Brokeback Mountain, sadly.

Wasn't that also kind of Charles Nelson Reilly's thing, or am I misremembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a person speaking broken English and describing something taking a lot of time by repeatedly saying “MondayTuesdayWednesday” possibly from a movie, but could be from a tv episode of something too.