Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

this reminds me of my favorite disney conspiracy, that they were so sure hillary was gonna win that they made a hillary animatronic months in advance and had to rapidly disguise it as Trump when they turned out to be wrong.

I mean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Nana?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1359699885918879745

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

:vince:

Unlucky7 posted:

Apparently she was close to having her own show?

https://twitter.com/aaroncouch/status/1359698566781034498?s=21

But yeah, good riddance
I believe she was going to be in that Rangers of the New Republic show

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Spark That Bled posted:

Why would I care about Fire Emblem when both Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics exists? :v:

It's been like 24 years and I still want a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics yes I know two adVANCE GMAES EXISTS IT ISN'T THE SAME GODDAMN IT :negative:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vanderdeath posted:

It's been like 24 years and I still want a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics yes I know two adVANCE GMAES EXISTS IT ISN'T THE SAME GODDAMN IT :negative:

Ogre Tactics isn't the same either but it's drat close, if you haven't played it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Well, you get your ASMR mukbangers and then you get your storytime mukbangers. When the genre got its start in Korea it was mostly based in talking with an audience, because most of the mukbangers were livestreamers. Not difficult to see why people like that really, you get the whole Just Chatting thing plus it's like you're eating with somebody. People love that. For the rest of this paragraph you can pretend I said something profound about the rise of mukbangs in a lonely 21st century late capitalism city apartment culture society.

ASMR is less explainable, of course, because you literally either love it or hate it based on your body's reaction to it -- personally it goes right through me and I can't watch. It's like coriander, to some people it tastes thoroughly pleasant and to others it's like eating soap.

Hell, doing mukbangs on YouTube is generally less explainable because of the previously mentioned livestreaming origin. You kinda get rid of the conversation and you just have the storytime, but then people do love storytime. And obviously you say SHHHHH at the camera a lot, have pretend Punch and Judy fights with your husband with giant noodles and mix it all in with the occasional breakdown that becomes an Internet meme.

remember that asmr mukbang girl who pretended she was being kidnapped and forced to eat things against her will lmao

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm 99% sure that was just something ARG fans made up, then she played along cause it got way more views than her normal stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

ASMR is less explainable, of course, because you literally either love it or hate it based on your body's reaction to it -- personally it goes right through me and I can't watch. It's like coriander, to some people it tastes thoroughly pleasant and to others it's like eating soap.

While I admittedly get no kick from champagne or ASMR, the funniest ASMR I've seen thus far (a couple of places) was "Relaxing Lice Inspection."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jamie Faith posted:

:vince:

I believe she was going to be in that Rangers of the New Republic show

Yeah, the general rumour was she was getting spun off into that so she could keep being a cool kickass Marshal of the New Republic. Getting the badge and told there's shady stuff out on the Outer Rim the Republic could use her for dealing with is assumed to be a back-door pilot into that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sorry can someone explain who "nazi with a urinal helmet" is in this context?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it Doomcock?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is it Doomcock?

Yes it is indeed Doomcock, a man who wears a helmet shaped suspiciously like a urinal, as seen here,

has legions of chud fans, is a crypto-fash on his main channel and has an alleged alt account on BitChute where he's literally an open and out Actual Nazi.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 11, 2021

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

f r i e n d l y r e m i n d e r t h a t t h i s i s n ' t a g o o d l o o k

quote:

While I admittedly get no kick from champagne or ASMR, the funniest ASMR I've seen thus far (a couple of places) was "Relaxing Lice Inspection."

Isn't the best one not the one where a lady tries to go full Oldboy and eat a live octopus, except the thing almost freaking kills her?

Oh, also -- a new strand that seems to have popped up recently...True Crime Mukbangs. Someone tells you all about a crime that's happened, whilst eating lots of food. Stephanie Soo (probably best known for cancelling Nikocado in a video last year) does a lot of these.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 11, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes it is indeed Doomcock, a man who wears a helmet shaped suspiciously like a urinal, as seen here,

has legions of chud fans, is a crypto-fash on his main channel and has an alleged alt account on BitChute where he's literally an open and out Actual Nazi.

He's the dumbass that keeps repeating nonsense rumors he saw on chanboards like the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy getting remade and the SJWs getting purged from Disney.

He always looked like he has a leafblower aimed at his face.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Okay, I have hidden the gross urinal man away behind spoiler blocks, because you're right, no one should stare directly into that piss hole for too long lest they go mad.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

He's the dumbass that keeps repeating nonsense rumors he saw on chanboards like the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy getting remade and the SJWs getting purged from Disney.

He always looked like he has a leafblower aimed at his face.

He's basically the head of "QAnon, but for television" at this point.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I understand the sequel trilogy has its issues (especially the last one) but they made big money and they aren't going to redo three movies especially with Ford having enough, Fisher being dead and Hamill warming up to Old Luke.

If anything was to be taken from Rise of Skywalker, drastically changing things as a response to criticism is way messier than accepting what was put on the dinner plate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Carlo could barely act wet in a thunderstorm so honestly Disney dodged a bullet imo.

Jamie Faith posted:

Exactly! Normalize recasting people I say :colbert:

Please, for the love of god just recast people instead of doing weird CGI poo poo. I'm perfectly fine with Disney finding somebody who looks close enough to young Hamill and throwing a wig on them.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Sydin posted:

Carlo could barely act wet in a thunderstorm so honestly Disney dodged a bullet imo.

Please, for the love of god just recast people instead of doing weird CGI poo poo. I'm perfectly fine with Disney finding somebody who looks close enough to young Hamill and throwing a wig on them.

Honestly that was what distracted me in the Season 2 finale. Friends liked it but I kept having flashbacks to CGI Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. Let nerds be mad about someone looking only 96% like a character. Disney has more money than god and could give someone good enough makeup and hairstyle to look like him with Hamill dubbing him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dragonatrix posted:

That's not irrational at all. Watching/hearing people eat is hella loving gross and I have no idea at all how it became A Thing that people choose to sit through willingly, never mind popular.

My dude

Pimple popping videos

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Honestly that was what distracted me in the Season 2 finale. Friends liked it but I kept having flashbacks to CGI Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. Let nerds be mad about someone looking only 96% like a character. Disney has more money than god and could give someone good enough makeup and hairstyle to look like him with Hamill dubbing him.

Exactly, it's trivially easy for a company with Disney's resources to dress up a convincing double and ADR Hamill's voice in. And then you wouldn't be stuck with a weird CGI object that spends a very emotional scene rooted to the floor with a blank stare. The only reason I'm not as offended by the Luke CGI as I am with Tarkin is that at least Hamill is still around to give his blessing for them to CGI his likeness. Using CGI to recreate long dead actors like they did with Cushing just feels incredibly tasteless to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sydin posted:

Exactly, it's trivially easy for a company with Disney's resources to dress up a convincing double and ADR Hamill's voice in. And then you wouldn't be stuck with a weird CGI object that spends a very emotional scene rooted to the floor with a blank stare. The only reason I'm not as offended by the Luke CGI as I am with Tarkin is that at least Hamill is still around to give his blessing for them to CGI his likeness. Using CGI to recreate long dead actors like they did with Cushing just feels incredibly tasteless to me.

CGI Leia in Rise of Skywalker is incredibly tasteless. They at least had some semi-relevant unused dialogue to use with Cushing iirc, but for Leia it's all random cut dialogue with zero relevance they're trying to hamfistedly force into some kind of context.

And fail miserably at it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

CGI Leia in Rise of Skywalker is incredibly tasteless. They at least had some semi-relevant unused dialogue to use with Cushing iirc, but for Leia it's all random cut dialogue with zero relevance they're trying to hamfistedly force into some kind of context.

The Leia stuff was on the same level as the Chief Starr stuff in that one episode of Community.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Fil5000 posted:

The Leia stuff was on the same level as the Chief Starr stuff in that one episode of Community.

Cant be worse than that one episode of the Sopranos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DeafNote posted:

Cant be worse than that one episode of the Sopranos.

Carrie Fisher passed away with ample time to write around her death with some manner of dignity and respect. Instead the film devotes three characters (including Rose Tico) to a full-time job of sitting around and taking random cut lines to try to make them work in context several times over the course of the movie. "What's that Lassie Leia, we should always trust a droid? Boy-howdy kids, that sure is relevant to what's going on right this instant!"

The stuff at the start with Rey running the training course is actually pretty passable I'll admit, but after everyone's left the hideout to get the plot rolling every now and then the story just cuts back to the Stall-for-Time Leia Players trying to prop her up for another macabre puppet show for no good reason.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh I was referring in how it looked. I agree that it was handled badly and creepily in Carrie Fisher's place.
But Rise already had it rougher than a single episode of a show would, since they decided to have Leia's character stick around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DeafNote posted:

Oh I was referring in how it looked. I agree that it was handled badly and creepily in Carrie Fisher's place.
But Rise already had it rougher than a single episode of a show would, since they decided to have Leia's character stick around.

Ahh, gotcha :hmmyes:.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah definitely that too, that the writers just couldn't be assed to write Leia out of their story and had to force her into a major role even if it meant abusing every scrap of remaining cut content they had from her and CGI'ing Fisher's likeness when she was so recently deceased was inexcusable. The whole idea of CGI'd dead actors - even with the blessings of their estates - is wholly off-putting to me unless it is the briefest of brief shots. Like if you want to CGI reconstruct young Hamill or Fisher for a photo a character is holding or something then fine, but as soon as you actually try to put them in a scene with dialogue you lose all sympathy from me.

I know the writers had no possible way of knowing Fisher of all people would be the one of the original Star Wars trio to die first, but in retrospect it's really unfortunate Holdo gets introduced and killed off within one movie because they created a really good "passing the torch" character for Leia and then immediately squandered it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sydin posted:

Brad feels less like somebody who was always secretly a piece of poo poo and more like somebody who became a piece of poo poo.

Brads entire series of takes during the leadup to the 2016 democratic primaries tipped off that he was basically going down the path of a second round puma.

Two ywars later he proved it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sydin posted:

Yeah definitely that too, that the writers just couldn't be assed to write Leia out of their story and had to force her into a major role even if it meant abusing every scrap of remaining cut content they had from her and CGI'ing Fisher's likeness when she was so recently deceased was inexcusable. The whole idea of CGI'd dead actors - even with the blessings of their estates - is wholly off-putting to me unless it is the briefest of brief shots. Like if you want to CGI reconstruct young Hamill or Fisher for a photo a character is holding or something then fine, but as soon as you actually try to put them in a scene with dialogue you lose all sympathy from me.

I know the writers had no possible way of knowing Fisher of all people would be the one of the original Star Wars trio to die first, but in retrospect it's really unfortunate Holdo gets introduced and killed off within one movie because they created a really good "passing the torch" character for Leia and then immediately squandered it.

I was honestly perfectly fine with it in Rogue One. CGI Leia there is a brief scene and serves as a bridge directly into A New Hope. I also really liked them salvaging some old unused bits from the Death Star run to include some of the X-Wing pilots in the shield attack :allears:.

The ending of The Mandalorian Season 2 Ehhhhhh, I'm not a fan of it but I'm okay with it as well in this instance as it's mostly in the background of the scene proper rather than shoved in the audience's face (Look, it's Luke!... and now back to the big goodbye scene!). If it was gonna be anyone picking up Grogu it'd have to be Luke anyway because there's a few too many focus-stealing Jedi-related questions to raise for a season-finale in a Mandalorian show if it was anyone else known in broader canon or pulled out of Legends. And they at least got Mark Hamil to voice "himself" for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
these two videos of Day9 messing around with the new magic expansion are wonderful. truly, tinkering with his Big Red deck is the time when he is enjoying himself the most. and his whiny "hater" voice was annoying at first, but the gimmick got to be absolutely hilarious to me by the end :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIuVnkih_o&hd=1

I built this Showdown of the Skalds-based monowhite aggro deck after watching this video and it's loving fun as hell, and really really strong too. shuts down early board wipes with the angel that makes big spells cost more, and showdown of the skalds is a loving insane card, letting you basically draw four cards for 4 mana, and buff your dudes for two turns when casting anything. great deck, great video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mtsOHu3kZY&hd=1

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite is Rhino Stew's ASMR Bank Robbery

Also didn't know they'd done another perfectly normal ASMR fanmail unboxing

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Leia stuff was so unnecessary as well. It would have been so easy just to open the film at a memorial service for the character showing she died between films and then go from there, as opposed to ghoulishly resurrecting her and cobbling a "performance" together from outtakes to end up killing her anyway.

I second that I don't have any moral problem with deepfake/CGI faces so long as the actor is alive, but Cushing and Fisher just struck me as inappropriate. On a creative level, the desire to spend all this money with CGI faces comes across like an odd acquisition to a nebulous concept of "realism". As if recasting someone would destroy the viewer's suspension of disbelief. I think directors/writers should allow someone to just use their imagination, to fold any inconsistencies into their head canon or whatever, and to accept the artifice. I believe a lot of cinemasins-esque channels has led to this fetish for highlighting logic and realism above all else and perhaps they no longer have faith in fans to "just go with it", after all it was fans who invented that dumb James Bond codename theory out of a need to "explain" recasting, perhaps their lack of faith in the audience is justified.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Harry Potter successfully recast Dumbledore so it's not like we haven't seen massive franchises successfully handle this before.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Channel doesn't sound awesome at all!

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

Isn't the best one not the one where a lady tries to go full Oldboy and eat a live octopus, except the thing almost freaking kills her?

Oh, also -- a new strand that seems to have popped up recently...True Crime Mukbangs. Someone tells you all about a crime that's happened, whilst eating lots of food. Stephanie Soo (probably best known for cancelling Nikocado in a video last year) does a lot of these.

Something really skeeves me out about channels that are true crime and also something else. Like I find a lot of true crime on youtube to be exploitative at the best of times, but there's something extremely bizarre to me about being like okay I'm going to eat lots of dinner or put on a full face of makeup while also talking about the intense, real life suffering someone went through but I'll make sure to keep it very respectful don't worry audience.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Join us at Cereal for our Jeffrey Dahmer mukbang.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Harry Potter successfully recast Dumbledore so it's not like we haven't seen massive franchises successfully handle this before.

I honestly liked the recast a lot, I feel like Gambon retroactively makes the character from the book make more sense by portraying that he has a strong emotional core that often gives him strength but sometimes pulls him in a specific direction and causes him to lose perspective. As opposed to just being a stoic and impenetrable wizened old man.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CYBEReris posted:

I honestly liked the recast a lot, I feel like Gambon retroactively makes the character from the book make more sense by portraying that he has a strong emotional core that often gives him strength but sometimes pulls him in a specific direction and causes him to lose perspective. As opposed to just being a stoic and impenetrable wizened old man.

Though his Goblet of Fire direction was not the best
(they also cut down his usual endofmovie talk with Harry scene, which is unforgivable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DeafNote posted:

Though his Goblet of Fire direction was not the best
(they also cut down his usual endofmovie talk with Harry scene, which is unforgivable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoD2147Fik