Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PJOmega posted:

I wouldn't mind if the scenarios were interesting. So many GH maps boil down to "deal with this murder hallway without blowing too many resources. Then fight this perfunctory boss in a room that will either be easy or impossible."

There's always Forgotten Circles :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
They could improve Gloomhaven by giving players more flexible monsters, like maybe having an AI and hit location deck with some reactions in it as well. Scale back the hero abilities to make the players more 'average', and add a way to build out the home settlement, like with upgradable buildings and gear crafting. Just 'teleporting' into the fight is boring too, it needs a few random events while the party is on its way. Also, the random events should all have a 10% chance of instant death.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
throw a dildo on the table and it'd be a complete garbage game

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

They pushed the game back to July, I think they could get books out.

I suspect we will finish playing Frosthaven first before those map books get released.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Infinitum posted:

Any recommendations for worker placement style games similar to Lord's of Waterdeep + Champions of Midgard?

Was looking at picking up Lost Ruins if Arnak potentially

-Caylus is the original and may still be the best?
-Russian/German Railroads if you can find it (good luck :negative:)

Other strong ones:
-Troyes
-Le Havre
-Stone Age
-Lorenzo il Magnifico

I would have recommended T'zolkin/Marco Polo but the creator appears to be garbage!

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 11, 2021

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's always Forgotten Circles :shepface:

Never picked it up, tho my local store has a used copy for $20. If you enjoyed Gloomhaven reasonably is it reason to break out the big box again?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
By all accounts forgotten circles is garbage

For ~$35 Jaws of the Lion is a good pick if you just want more GH and in a slimmer package (physically and design wise).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Never picked it up, tho my local store has a used copy for $20. If you enjoyed Gloomhaven reasonably is it reason to break out the big box again?

There are two components to FC: a new class (the Diviner) and a new 20-ish scenario campaign.

The class is a strange support class. The two main mechanisms are traps (that actually kinda work, as long as you understand monster movement) and manipulating which ability and modifier cards are drawn. It's an interesting puzzle if you like those specific parts of the system but it's hard to use well (especially at low levels or in small groups) and the cards overvalue deck manipulation.

The scenarios are complex and fiddly. Different rooms are split across various pages and you won't know what components are required at the start of a scenario. Combined with some significant mid-mission puzzle solving and scenarios become drawn out and badly paced.

The puzzles themselves also very much rely on being in sync with the way the developer thinks; worse, they go against some of the assumptions in base Gloomhaven. Since a lot of scenarios have partial success options it can be better to fail and retry than take a "win" that locks you out of multiple scenarios. A related issue is that you often won't know the win conditions at the start of the scenario, and sometimes not until you hit them. Vague flavour text frequently provides key information on how to complete scenarios, and in some cases is outright missing the clues that were meant to be there.

There's a second edition of FC which fixes most of the problems with the new class but doesn't really change the scenarios beyond a few fixes.

I'm enjoying it but there are huge caveats and I couldn't recommend it in general (unlike Jaws).

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

For ~$35 Jaws of the Lion is a good pick if you just want more GH and in a slimmer package (physically and design wise).

This 100%. You can buy the Diviner Class on drivethrucards. Absolutely no reason to touch Forgotten Circles

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

nordichammer posted:

This 100%. You can buy the Diviner Class on drivethrucards. Absolutely no reason to touch Forgotten Circles

Yeah, you can also play JOTL with new classes if you want.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup 100%. Jaws is a great game, with good length, and some of the best designed classes in the game.

You can port the classes into the base game, too.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Forgotten Circles is phenomenal, but this is coming from someone who has played it exclusively through TTS and so has never had to physically set up a scenario. I can absolutely see, based on how elaborate a handful of the scenarios can get, how folks can find them frustrating, which is a shame because they’re much more inventive than anything in the base game.

I’d say, if you’ve got the opportunity to pick it up, you should be aware that:
1. the scenarios are significantly longer than those in the base game
2. you are often asked to pull out new enemy types, components, and map tiles during scenarios, and to rearrange existing ones, which can be fairly cumbersome
3. I have not included any of point 2 in point 1

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Making you decode runes in the middle of a scenario is pointless busywork in a game whose biggest flaw is the amount of admin.

It's obnoxious as hell.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Making you decode runes in the middle of a scenario is pointless busywork in a game whose biggest flaw is the amount of admin.

It's obnoxious as hell.

Oh god, he turned the obnoxious bonus class rune hunt from the main box into something you have to do in the middle of a mission?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I’m not sure I’d agree with “have to” (I don’t recall progress along the main questline being blocked by it), but yes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Oh god, he turned the obnoxious bonus class rune hunt from the main box into something you have to do in the middle of a mission?

There are scenarios where you get clues given in runes. I'm fine with mid-mission puzzles (if you are against those FC probably isn't for you) but translating a series of runes when you have the decryption key adds nothing but time.

There's puzzle stuff outside of the scenarios but that's handled a bit better.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

quote:

Ever wanted to read a comparative analysis of @colewehrle's An Infamous Traffic and John Company, and how they make separate economic arguments that complement one another?

Now you can!

https://t.co/TZHOX846BC

SpaceBiff is a really good writer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PJOmega posted:

Wasn't that a deliberate ARG thing for the kickstarter backers to play around with? I feel like they had to absolutely know that by release time, the spoilers would be out in the wild, and the average players wouldn't have nearly enough patience to deal with it.

I'm replaying the campaign right now, and I'm just going to immediately unlock the Bladeswarm as soon as we finish the Envelope X stuff..

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nah they've tried to keep a lid on Envelope X (and A) stuff as much as possible.

I think the overall idea of X (a nearly campaign-long quest to unlock a class, focusing on metatexutal elements) is fine and they just hosed up the execution.

If you opened X when you opened the town records instead of a personal quest and got more and more hints for the various runes in artwork as you progressed through the book you could have roughly the same puzzle with a lot better pacing and direction.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm replaying the campaign right now, and I'm just going to immediately unlock the Bladeswarm as soon as we finish the Envelope X stuff..

That is what I did too, consideringI think there's a typo in the clues.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

alkanphel posted:

That is what I did too, consideringI think there's a typo in the clues.

That's been fixed in most of the versions at least.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Going to start JotL with my partner this weekend - I assume since they only included 4 classes, it’s well enough designed that any two will work reasonably well together? Not looking to tediously minmax our choice, just want to not nerf our party straight away

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Any recommendations for worker placement style games similar to Lord's of Waterdeep + Champions of Midgard?

Was looking at picking up Lost Ruins if Arnak potentially

I wouldn't recommend Arnak. I played a demo game and as with Sanctum before it, I felt that I'd already got everything out of it that I was going to.

I think you're looking for a WP game where the game is played more through "side quests" than by gathering X and building Y with it? Then I would suggest The Magnificent. You draft dice to use as workers to build a travelling circus and put on a show. Beautiful game, fun theme, plays up to 5 with the Snø expansion and is quite quick as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

I think you're looking for a WP game where the game is played more through "side quests" than by gathering X and building Y with it? Then I would suggest The Magnificent. You draft dice to use as workers to build a travelling circus and put on a show. Beautiful game, fun theme, plays up to 5 with the Snø expansion and is quite quick as well.

I like The Magnificent , it looks really cool as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

I like The Magnificent , it looks really cool as well.

My favourite comment on it came from a casual gamer friend: "I don't care if it's the best play, I'm taking the neon armadillo!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bellmaker posted:

-Caylus is the original and may still be the best?
-Russian/German Railroads if you can find it (good luck :negative:)

Other strong ones:
-Troyes
-Le Havre
-Stone Age
-Lorenzo il Magnifico

I would have recommended T'zolkin/Marco Polo but the creator appears to be garbage!

Ta for the recommendations.

I know Russian Railroads is getting a Big Box Edition later this year in Ultimate Railroads, but I believe it's only available to Ze Germans to begin with.

I did have T'zolkin on my Wishlist for a while until I read about his bullshit ITT and promptly removed it.

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't recommend Arnak. I played a demo game and as with Sanctum before it, I felt that I'd already got everything out of it that I was going to.

My group seems to enjoy WP, drafting, and engine building a lot atm, so I'm leaning that way for my next pickup.
I've never heard of The Magnificent. Just had a quick butchers and it looks very pretty. I'll check out some reviews.

I do like the look of Arnak a lot, and I wish there was a TTS module to test it out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

jesus WEP posted:

Going to start JotL with my partner this weekend - I assume since they only included 4 classes, it’s well enough designed that any two will work reasonably well together? Not looking to tediously minmax our choice, just want to not nerf our party straight away

I didn't spoil myself on what the classes all did until after we'd played the first few scenarios but my partner and I ended up picking red guard + hatchet based entirely on the appearance of the characters which is probably one of the more optimal combinations.

I've heard that the demolitionist is significantly less fun to play without having the red guard there to take aggro for you and that the voidwarden isn't a great choice for a 2p game but I haven't played either so that could well be wrong.

What I will say for sure is that the red guard is far more interesting to play than I was expecting and I'd strongly recommend that one of you try him out unless you really don't like the tank archetype. The mixture of ranged and melee attacks and use of pull and immobilise effects as a source of damage mitigation, as well as your more obvious defensive / healing abilities makes him very versatile.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's been fixed in most of the versions at least.
Does it still require finding the designer's email address and then sending it an e-mail with a single character?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Does it still require finding the designer's email address and then sending it an e-mail with a single character?

More or less. You send the word "dust" rather than a single character. The support email for the company works (I suspect a bunch of official ones do) and http://www.cephalofair.com/dust provides the answer as well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

By and large, with some caveats.

The only combo I'd avoid is Hatchet/Voidwarden. Not because either of those are bad - far from it - it's just voidwarden wants stuff from her allies Hatchet doesn't provide (like being in melee)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lorenzo il Magnifico looks like my jam.

Will watch a couple of reviews of The Magnificent tomorrow :hmmyes:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

dishwasherlove posted:

SpaceBiff is a really good writer.

I'll read whatever he has to say. It is refreshing to get analysis and reviews outside of "Component quality 8/10; Fun 9/10"

I want him to compile his article series "What we talk about when we talk about Games" into a book.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Asmodee bought boardgamearena.

Enjoy it while you can, I give it 2 years before it’s functionally destroyed.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That makes me really sad to hear

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've owned the Deluxe version of Clinic for...a while now, and of course yesterday was the first time I got to play it in non-solo mode...on TTS. Anyway.

Better than I thought. There was an actual competition for resources, which I wasn't expecting as much, though there's still a heavy solitaire component to it - I wouldn't have minded a little bit of a way to affect your opponents aside from taking resources they could potentially use, but it was still a lot of fun to play it with someone.

I may be considering the expansions on KS right now...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Asmodee bought boardgamearena.

Enjoy it while you can, I give it 2 years before it’s functionally destroyed.

I've played ~2000 games on BGA now so I think I've had my money's worth from it. Interesting to see where it goes from here.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Really enjoying I/E so far, it has been a natural fit for a group I've played a lot of Dominion/RFTG/Res Arcana with :)

It reminds me of Mottainai but just uhhh more interesting and more natural in how it flows? The Containeresque economy of actions owns.

(I got Green - Lithuania flag!)

Infinitum posted:

My group seems to enjoy WP, drafting, and engine building a lot atm, so I'm leaning that way for my next pickup.
I've never heard of The Magnificent. Just had a quick butchers and it looks very pretty. I'll check out some reviews.

Agricola with drafting is still a really good if brutal WP. They're gradually releasing all the decks again too which is neat (D just came out). Maybe they'll like Caverna more though because of the theme (isn't there an expansion coming out soon too?), but Agricola is the more interesting game long term imo.

e: but just get Keyflower tho and shove it in front of them. Key Market is pretty good too actually -- it's kinda inelegant though, at least compared to Keyflower.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 11, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My wife and I finished Jaws of the Lion as Hatchet / Red Guard with no issue. I imagine Red Guard and any other would work well.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kerro posted:

Well you'll certainly have many tens if not hundreds of hours of gameplay in that bundle if you enjoy the game enough!

Also my first box of Bloodborne finally arrived and I had a quick playthrough of the first scenario a couple of times. I had been a bit worried that only having three cards to use per turn might oversimplify the decision making and leave your choices fairly obvious, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how significant the decisions felt even with so few cards. The core cardplay felt super-satisfying and gave the same sense of satisfaction I get from something like Mage Knight when you can perfectly optimise a turn to use all your cards and do just the exact right number of moves/damage/whatever - but without the enormous setup and time commitment.

I wonder with more experience whether the fact that the map is explored through random tile draw could end up being a problem if you get unlucky - a lot of the missions seem to require you to interact with specific tiles and if you accidentally build the map in a bad way, or the tile you need is on the bottom of the stack it seems like things could get frustrating. That said, as I understand it you only ever need to complete 2 out of 3 possible missions for each scenario, and so that might be enough to ensure that you always have 2 viable options even if the third becomes untenable.

I can also see a lot of stuff here that I liked in Cthulhu Death May Die - enemies never slow down or impede your movement, they just chase you around (though in this you can kite them because they only follow one space at a time), your character increases in power very rapidly allowing you to do more cool poo poo without grinding out numerous scenarios to get upgrades, and none (or very little) of the difficulty comes from cancelling or preventing your actions from working correctly. I really like this in a co-op game - the fun in these games imo comes from getting to use powerful abilities in interesting ways and pulling off crazy combos, and anything that makes that harder to do (like effects that cause you to lose turns/cards/prevent certain actions from working etc) really gets in the way of that.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to play this two player tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes as solo vs multiplayer seems like it will be very different in this game due to the ability to drag enemies around. In solo there really isn't much opportunity to use this to your advantage but I can easily see that in multiplayer there are times when it would make sense to have one player act as bait to draw enemies away, which seems like it would open up a lot more tactical decisions. Anyway, so far seems like a cool game.

Glad to hear a positive review on it. I got my boxes last week but haven't been able to run it yet; hopefully this weekend. I was a little worried this would end up one of those "licensed game with a bunch of minis, so the gameplay is half-baked" kind of deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I suspect a lot of people probably will end up overlooking Bloodborne because of the IP tie-in and expectations of the company and mini-heavy KS games in general, but after playing two more 3-player scenarios last night I actually think this might be something really quite special. For a game that does come with a solid amount of plastic, it feels like a very 'mechanics-first' design, and the mechanics that are here are actually pretty wonderful in creating a deep decision-space without much complexity or fiddliness. It's not a word I would have expected to use to describe a CMON game full of minis but it honestly feels quite elegant how it all plays out.

I think one of the strong points of the design which was fairly present in Death May Die but is even more present here is that there is no enemy AI - enemies only ever respond to what players do, so you have full control over where the enemies end up, when and if they attack, when they'll respawn etc - they don't behave independently at all. What this means is that you have near total control over how things play out, so that every decision feels meaningful as you almost always know exactly what the outcome will be and in a sense you're playing the enemies as much as your own character - drawing them to where you want them, having them attack when it suits you and so on. It also cuts down on fiddliness and downtime - enemies move during your turn, and only attack you during your turn, there's no 'mythos/enemy/encounter' phase between player turns, it just rolls seamlessly from one player's turn to the next.

The other really strong point is the cardplay and the way the two-sided trick-weapons work. You only get three cards per turn, and each side of your player board has (usually) three slots that allow you to play attack cards, after which you have to discard a card to flip the board to its other side to reveal a slightly different set of attacks. Every time you play a card onto your player board to attack an enemy, that enemy attacks you back. If your attack was faster it resolves first (which could cause the enemy attack to be cancelled, or outright kill the enemy before it gets to react), if it was slower the opposite happens. You can also play a card with the 'dodge' keyword into an empty space on your board in response to the enemy's attack, and if this is the same speed or faster than the enemy attack then you avoid it. This super-simple system combined with the fact that the enemy attack deck is only 6 cards (so you can often largely predict what they're going to do) ends up being quite deep and allows for some interesting plays, and most importantly plays that feel powerful and cool. As you get upgrade cards, which come easily and early in the game, you can pull off some really fun combos.

In our last session, I had a fight against a fairly tough enemy where I was able to play a card to attack him that also let me draw another card, and then use a second card to dodge his response attack. This upgraded dodge card allowed me to transform my weapon for free (flip to the other side, clearing all slots) and because of my hunter special ability and an upgrade card I'd got, this free flip also allowed me to refresh my firearm and gave me extra speed and damage on my next attack, which I then used with my final card to attack again, use my firearm to disarm his basic retaliation attack, and save the extra card I'd drawn for when he attacked me on his activation (at the end of the hunter turn).

I find that one of the things that causes me to lose interest in co-op games is when the decisions you're making turn to turn end up feeling rote and mechanical. To have lasting power, it needs to feel that your character is doing things that are clever, cool, or powerful. This is what makes Spirit Island work for me, it's what makes Mage Knight work for me, it's what makes Death May Die work for me and it's why I liked one of Michael Shinall's previous designs (Xenoshyft) so much more than Aeon's End which could end up feeling very incremental and dull over repeated plays (though Xenoshyft has other problems - a bear of a setup and too much downtime). Bloodborne at least so far seems to have that 'fun' element in spades - when you can work out the right sequence to play your cards in so that the enemy you're up against can't even land a hit, or so that you can chain actions into actions to do far more than seemed like it should have been possible on your turn, it's just a blast to play. I think good co-op games give the player the feeling of being in control, whereas bad ones leave you feeling as if you are just being done to by the game system. Again, Bloodborne largely nails this - as the player you control nearly everything down to the enemy's movement, so anything going wrong almost always feels like the consequences of your choices rather than some arbitrary thing you could never have predicted or foreseen.

This is all helped my the quick setup (less than five minutes I'd guess) and the short campaign structure. Rather than the sprawling campaigns of some other recent co-op games, here a campaign is three linked scenarios in which you keep your upgrades between. Last night we played two out of three scenarios of a campaign, with rules teach and setup, in just under three hours. So 60-90 minutes per scenario seems totally reasonable, and there's few games with this much in the way of interesting decisions that play that fast.

Finally on the positives side, I think the game strikes a great balance of randomness (in that there isn't too much) vs predictability (a lot). As noted above, enemy movement is entirely predictable. Enemy attacks have some randomness, but are drawing from a deck of 6 cards comprising 3 possible actions but you know exactly what each of these 3 actions will be, so it's usually possible to calculate odds of what the attack will do and consider possible responses, i.e if the enemy draws this attack then I respond by doing x, but if he draws the other card then I do y. Player decks are only ever 12 cards, and you draw 3 per turn - so there's a small amount of randomness there but not a great deal. There's a bit of randomness in what order you discover tiles (see below), but because you get to choose how to place them you still have quite a bit of control over where enemies appear when you move into new spaces and where the entrances/exits are. Most of the unpredictability actually seems to come from the scenario-specific mission cards, which imo is where you want it - it means that each scenario feels fresh the first time you play it, and creates interesting and unexpected situations that you have to work out how to respond to. I think good co-op games give the player the feeling of being in control, whereas bad ones leave you feeling as if you are just being done to by the game system. Again, Bloodborne largely nails this - as the player you control nearly everything down to the enemy's movement, so anything going wrong almost always feels like the consequences of your choices rather than some arbitrary thing you could never have predicted or foreseen, and when I've failed it's made me interested to try again rather than thinking 'well I hope we get luckier next time'.

I've only got a few reservations at this point. Firstly, the quality of the cardboard tiles and chits really should be better for a game at this price point. I can see the map tiles getting chipped/scuffed quite easily, especially since there are not many of them so they will see repeated use and it's just a shame they're not better made to withstand this.

Secondly, we still haven't run into this being an issue, but the fact that you need to find specific tiles to complete the quests for a scenario and these tiles are shuffled into a stack seems like it could lead to having a bad time if you got unlucky and the tiles you needed just ended up being on the bottom. I don't know if this would make the scenarios actually impossible, but it seems like it could be getting close. I think this would be easily fixed with a house-rule and if we do run into it being a problem then we might do just that (e.g semi-construct the tile deck so that there is one objective tile in every 3-4 tiles so that they are more evenly distributed, as per something like Pandemic's outbreak cards).

Lastly, I've only played twice solo and twice with 3 players but the initial impression is that this does not scale the same with different player counts. You get the same number of enemies per tile with higher player counts, and while boss (and scenario-specific) enemies have more health with more players (though not all of them for some reason?), a lot of stuff does not scale up with more players. Yes, you advance the timer more often from hunters going to the dream to upgrade, but you get so many more actions per round with more hunters that it felt a hell of a lot easier. Playing solo (I did the first scenario twice) I lost once due to running out of time, and won once on the second-to-last space compared to 3-players where we had 3-4 more rounds to go when winning each scenario. I don't think this is necessarily too much of a problem as I think it would be very easy to slightly tweak the difficulty in a variety of ways for people who want more/less of a challenge (and honestly I think this is almost necessary in co-op games as different groups have different preferences and experience obviously improves play - we've gone from playing level 3-4 Spirit Island to 7-8 for every game now) but it's something to be aware of for people who might want the game to be perfectly balanced regardless of player count.

Edit: One more thought for the negatives column. I got the KS version so this isn't an issue for me, but for retail it's a real shame that given how much plastic is in the box that they only included four hunters, since this is one of the things that seems like it will create the most variation in experience from play to play. This is even more baffling since the hunters are component-light - each hunter only requires one small mini, and two cards (not even punchboard) so why aren't there more in the base box, like the 10 that came with Death May Die. Given that so many of the hunters are locked to the KS-exclusive stretch goals box this is just.. bad.

Overall, this has been the biggest surprise for me since (perhaps unsurprisingly given it's one of the same designers and same publisher) Cthulhu Death May Die, which I had unfairly assumed would be a mindless dice-chucker, but Bloodborne hits even more of the right notes for me by leaning into the low-luck, puzzle-solving type gameplay that I love in Spirit Island (and Mage Knight before it). I can't wait to try out more of the campaigns and see how different hunters and enemies play out.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 11, 2021