Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shinjobi posted:

I do think part of the issue is the "sunsetting Munch Squad," which was an unfunny joke he couldn't stop reminding you about for over a calendar year.
IIRC he had planned to stop until a poo poo ton of people kept sending him press releases and asking him not to stop. Now it's a year into a neverending pandemic and everyone's melting down from exhaustion and Justin gets to do his own segment he has fun with where he doesn't have to put in a lot of creative effort to riff on. He's doing something low stress that he likes and a lot of other people like, and I really don't see any hate for it outside of here. It's not like goon opinions are better than anyone else's (this is directed at the thread in general, not you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

sticklefifer posted:

You not liking this week's press release isn't new or interesting.
like the beleaguered Justin McElroy himself I reserve the right to rant about press releases I do or don't like whenever I dang please

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shinjobi posted:

I do think part of the issue is the "sunsetting Munch Squad," which was an unfunny joke he couldn't stop reminding you about for over a calendar year.

I don't dislike Munch Squad, cause man when it hits I appreciate someone keeping an eye on how batshit crazy some companies get. Having a fair amount of Pizza Inns around me, I was having a field day with their bit on election integrity. But yeah, if all it ends up being is a bland reading of the copy then there's no meat on them bones. Hell, I remember the segment they did about the nightmare whopper from burger king, which is just a different colored burger but goddamn they had a great time with the things it would do to Griffin's (and anyone else's, really) making GBS threads situation. They MADE it funny. On a similar note, I kinda wish they had taken a break from Munch Squad just so they could have a larger segment documenting all the "trying times" PR messages they encountered throughout 2020.

At the end of the day if they're trying to make it funny I think it'll hit. If they're just reading the press release and mildly reacting to it, then....well, this thread happens.

the Munch Squad model of comedy/criticism peaked with MC Skat Kat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Now I'm just thinking about the fantastic TAZ Amnesty Bigfoot one-shot and how they couldn't remember Clint's character's name so they kept calling him MC Skat Kat.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
bring back young Griffin and the Dr Who-esque adventures of Clint McElroy, multi-verse janitor

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
*sloshes brandy around in a big ol' glass while raising an eyebrow*

Hmm, yes, the Munch squad was sub-par again this week.

*sighs*

*monocle falls in comically large brandy glass*

Why, I never!

*muted flatulence*

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shinjobi posted:

bring back young Griffin and the Dr Who-esque adventures of Clint McElroy, multi-verse janitor

I still crack up thinking about Travis' attempt at justifying how Griffin turning into Turbo Teen can work within the bounds of the Amnesty setting is "You know, nobody can really be sure what they saw that night."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

*sloshes brandy around in a big ol' glass while raising an eyebrow*

Hmm, yes, the Munch squad was sub-par again this week.

*sighs*

*monocle falls in comically large brandy glass*

Why, I never!

*muted flatulence*

You look like a carpet hosed a nerd

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you look like a costume to represent the idea of farts under a blanket

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Everyone itt has permission to stop reading the MBMBaM thread or skipping over posts about munch squad segments. Literally every week there's a page worth of posts about it, you can just not read the thread if you don't want to!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for the best Besties episodes to start out with?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

Any suggestions for the best Besties episodes to start out with?

Just start with recent stuff/games you're interested in. You're probably going to spend money/update the wish list on your platform of choice though.

Except for the Cyberpunk episode. They are wrong about Cyberpunk.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The platform of my choice is a desktop that can run the current-gen games on low settings. Would that be a problem?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lost in Munch Squad whining was Griffin's realization in this week's Money Zone that he's slept in his own bed every night for the past year. There was something really depressing about the beat he took when he realized that.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

sticklefifer posted:

IIRC he had planned to stop until a poo poo ton of people kept sending him press releases and asking him not to stop. Now it's a year into a neverending pandemic and everyone's melting down from exhaustion and Justin gets to do his own segment he has fun with where he doesn't have to put in a lot of creative effort to riff on. He's doing something low stress that he likes and a lot of other people like, and I really don't see any hate for it outside of here. It's not like goon opinions are better than anyone else's (this is directed at the thread in general, not you).

“the performer has fun doing it and lots of other people like it so shut up if you don’t” is a pretty silly thing to direct at a discussion thread for a comedy podcast

Munch Squad used to be one of my favorite bits but it’s become kinda stale and overdone (like bad food heyo) I don’t think it’s egregiously hateful or lovely to say so.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 10, 2021

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Previa_fun posted:

Everyone itt has permission to stop reading the MBMBaM thread or skipping over posts about munch squad segments. Literally every week there's a page worth of posts about it, you can just not read the thread if you don't want to!
Similarly, I grant you permission to skip over the posts you’re complaining about.

People are gonna complain about everything, and that’s fine. No one needs to listen to Munch Squad each week. No one needs to post their review of Munch Squad. No one needs to post their counter-review. No one needs to do a meta-review of those counter-reviews (that’s your post, I think?). No one needs to point out the strange irony of that (and that’s mine). But here we are, broken and desperate for any sort of acknowledgment or connection WHEN CAN I GET A VACCINE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Phlag posted:

Similarly, I grant you permission to skip over the posts you’re complaining about.

People are gonna complain about everything, and that’s fine. No one needs to listen to Munch Squad each week. No one needs to post their review of Munch Squad. No one needs to post their counter-review. No one needs to do a meta-review of those counter-reviews (that’s your post, I think?). No one needs to point out the strange irony of that (and that’s mine). But here we are, broken and desperate for any sort of acknowledgment or connection WHEN CAN I GET A VACCINE

https://youtu.be/0I2gTjRzxaw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Got to the Mighty Ducks thing and it was very refreshing for them to just say "this isn't funny"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

If you want Much Squad but good, listen to Face Jam

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Preview for next week

https://twitter.com/mcdonalds/status/1359550993877241857?s=21

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Lost in Munch Squad whining was Griffin's realization in this week's Money Zone that he's slept in his own bed every night for the past year.
so have I but you don't see me bragging!!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

If you want Much Squad but good, listen to Face Jam

This. They actually eat the food, review it (it almost always sucks) and all the members of the podcast are invested and engaged in it. Also if you're worried about the Mcelroys being on the take and not telling you about it good news! Rooster teeth is ABSOLUTELY for sale and they are more than happy to let you know at every opportunity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

misadventurous posted:

“the performer has fun doing it and lots of other people like it so shut up if you don’t” is a pretty silly thing to direct at a discussion thread for a comedy podcast
That probably would be a silly thing to say, which is why I didn't say that. :thumbsup:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phlag posted:

People are gonna complain about everything, and that’s fine. No one needs to listen to Munch Squad each week. No one needs to post their review of Munch Squad. No one needs to post their counter-review. No one needs to do a meta-review of those counter-reviews (that’s your post, I think?). No one needs to point out the strange irony of that (and that’s mine).

I'm just trying to elevate the craft of posting.

*muffled duck murder*

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I think part of the problem is that it seems that they're just a little burned out on each other. As people have mentioned, Griffin doesn't play bit cop on Wonderful. Justin is still engaged and having fun on Sawbones... I agree with the person who said they just need to pull in some guest hosts or anything else to take a moment outside of the format.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean the series is over 10 years old. It might just be showing its age now.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

The Modern Leper posted:

I think part of the problem is that it seems that they're just a little burned out on each other. As people have mentioned, Griffin doesn't play bit cop on Wonderful. Justin is still engaged and having fun on Sawbones... I agree with the person who said they just need to pull in some guest hosts or anything else to take a moment outside of the format.

I finally started listening to The Besties recently, and I think you're right. Hell, they should just start up another podcast for the three of them. Who says it has to be MBMBAM forever?

This would also be really welcome for Adventure Zone. They're getting really comfy with the idea that they're all great fiction writers after they made a bunch of teenagers cry five years ago, but none of them has ever really worked in a cooperative writing atmosphere. I'd like to see them reminded that none of them are really fiction writers, but each of them (including Clint) are one-in-a-million entertainers. I mean the best thing TAZ has done in the last two years is Tiny Heist.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'd be down with retiring MBMBaM in exchange for another show with the same cast but a different format. I think the MBMBaM format has plenty of longevity left in it still, but at the end of the day the questions were always just a jumping-off point for jokes.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Episode 600 is going to drop on Valentine's day, 2022. Assuming no episodes are skipped and it drops on Monday.

You're assuming we don't get episode 420 before then

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I caught up with the recent ep and thought it was pretty solid, I’m not getting that they’re burnt out on it at all

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Colonel Whitey posted:

I caught up with the recent ep and thought it was pretty solid, I’m not getting that they’re burnt out on it at all

Yeah this feels like their strongest episode in a while.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Modern Leper posted:

tbh Justin's part on Sawbones is not dissimilar to me verbally nodding along to my father talking about whatever bullshit he's been on during the monthly phone call

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Modern Leper posted:

I think a lot of weekly podcasts are suffering from this because people aren't going out and doing things or speaking to other people so the shows are getting very routine. I kind of feel they need to go on hiatus for a bit and/or cure covid.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Same. The soup question was wild.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's me, random internet person, here to tell you how three public figures actually feel

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

it's me, random internet person, here to tell you how three public figures actually feel

can we comment on the show in the show thread please? is that okay with you?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TAZ:

Beeeeeeeeessssssss

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

zimbomonkey posted:

This. They actually eat the food, review it (it almost always sucks) and all the members of the podcast are invested and engaged in it. Also if you're worried about the Mcelroys being on the take and not telling you about it good news! Rooster teeth is ABSOLUTELY for sale and they are more than happy to let you know at every opportunity.

poo poo, they did a multi-episode commercial out of a van for Voodoo Ranger and it was still good to listen to

Best episode is the one where Michael says "alright everybody we are on the loving clock because I WILL need to run back in to destroy that public bathroom again before we leave" because the dumbass is lactose intolerant but he drank an entire milkshake from Steak and Shake

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

AndrewP posted:

can we comment on the show in the show thread please? is that okay with you?

absolutely not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah maybe after listening to the same three guys for hours every week for multiple years the people in this thread might be burnt out ones.

Its okay not enjoy a thing as much as you used to. We don't need up to date briefings on how you feel about each recurring podcast bit please and gently caress off premptively to who ever's going to start a circular argument about what we're allowed to discuss in this thread I'm not banning you from talking about your munch squad feelings I'm just telling you I loving hate reading them okay? Great. If you disagree with me go back and pretend you skipped my post thanks.