Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The VA isn't as lovely as it used to be. And they're already swamped with knee injured vets. Proving it is having copies of your medical records from appointments you've had regarding your knees. Always get copies for your personal record and take it to a VSO so they can sift through it while you outprocess, they'll schedule appointments with doctors to have you poked and prodded for disability.

Most people skip that part, take their regular outprocess physical, then years later have an uphill battle getting a rating. Set that poo poo up while you're still in or be prepared to wait.

There is support though for these kinds of issues. Veterans organizations can frequently help. My grandfather didn't find out until 2000 that he was entitled to be considered 100% disabled from cold weather injuries he sustained in North Korea, that occured in Nov./Dec. 1950.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, there are a lot of groups that will do the paperwork for you and go every last inch to get you what you're due. I used VFW on the way out of the service, and DAV for subsequent claims. The VA has come a long way in the last decade itself, though.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

VSOs good. never use a lawyer4vets because they're all worthless grifting morons that don't do anything but submit forms for you then take 30+% of any retro

Shame Boy posted:

Man I just realized I bet the VA is gonna be inundated with blown-out knees in a few years (if they're not already). Like "carrying so much poo poo it destroys your joints" is gonna be this generation's agent orange or something.
Already are. Knees, ankles, feet, back, depression, hearing loss. Lots about depression/anxiety just because america is terrible garbage :patriot:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol sounds like you have to be a real loving idiot to join the military

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

indigi posted:

Yeah, lots of us vets are aware we're idiots.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

indigi posted:

Good luck going to college or have basic healthcare if you're not born middle class or above then. Was it this thread that had a graph showing that 80% of enlistees joined for financial/health/etc reasons?

What I'm saying is that joining the military is the only way to get basic social services in Usa.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BonHair posted:

Good luck going to college or have basic healthcare if you're not born middle class or above then. Was it this thread that had a graph showing that 80% of enlistees joined for financial/health/etc reasons?

every one of my friends from high school were poor, some didn’t have health insurance, and none of us joined the military to go college. also, me

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

indigi posted:

I remember lots of articles in the 200xs about Army recruitment standards being lowered oh wait here's one

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/01/the-u-s-army-lowers-recruitment-standards-again.amp

AvesPKS has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Feb 11, 2021

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe
love 2 blame the victim instead of the system

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Apathetic Medic posted:

love 2 blame the victim instead of the system

What's the phrase for assigning partial blame for a situation?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol at thinking the victim is the perpetrator of us imperialism instead of those doomed to suffer it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

there can be multiple victims in distinct positions

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

indigi posted:

every one of my friends from high school were poor, some didn’t have health insurance, and none of us joined the military to go college. also, me

I mean, it's not exactly the only way, it's just an easy way. I wouldn't know anyway, I'm from a relatively sane country where I graduated university essentially debt free and haggled my way out of potential military service with the army doctor.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

I remember lots of articles in the 200xs about Army recruiting standards being lowered oh wait here's one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/news-and-politics/2008/01/the-u-s-army-lowers-recruitment-standards-again.amp

when they raised the eligibility age, there were a lot of articles back then about older recruits washing out, not because they couldn't handle the physical portion, but because when you are 35 and joined to dispense copper jacketed freedom to brown people and instead find yourself making GBS threads on a toilet with no door and getting screamed at by some rear end in a top hat about about how to make your bed, your first reaction is "i don't need this poo poo"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I work in military healthcare, and it sucks. Countless restrictions, a lack of providers, out of date network lists, and countless other horrors. Nobody knows what they're doing, nobody seems to care, and our jobs consist of finding friendly, creative ways to say "no" to people.

The sad thing is that it's still some of the "best" insurance in the country. We are owned by loving ghouls and the more I dwell on it the more I want to give myself a hot, filling serving of vitamin lead.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My kids still can't believe that anyone would join the Army reserve to pay for college and not expect to get called up and spend years in a sandy hellhole.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BonHair posted:

I mean, it's not exactly the only way, it's just an easy way. I wouldn't know anyway, I'm from a relatively sane country where I graduated university essentially debt free and haggled my way out of potential military service with the army doctor.

I totally understand why people do it, but I don’t think that’s a get out of jail free card. people need to own that mistake

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Remulak posted:

My kids still can't believe that anyone would join the Army reserve to pay for college and not expect to get called up and spend years in a sandy hellhole.

The recruiters lie

"we'll station you in Hawaii" was a big one when I was a kid

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I don't know about anyone else's story but I was a nineteen year old guy stuck in a lovely swamp town in the middle of nowhere South Carolina. This was before 911 and forever war, too. It seemed appealing at the time. I hated every second of it and I've never felt proud of my time in Iraq, it would have been the right thing to do to refuse to go but I was a coward. I got super lucky too and popped a positive UA for cocaine right after we got back and got kicked out early like a couple months before my unit got stop-lossed for a second round in Iraq. It's funny because at the time I thought a general discharge from the Army would be a death sentence, but the only repercussion I've ever had from it is not getting the GI Bill. Nobody's ever asked to see my discharge paperwork lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

What I'm saying is that joining the military is the only way to get basic social services in Usa.

Are you telling me that "service guarantees citizenship"??

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

"I'm from a relatively sane country where we simply make people join the military" is quite the take. I mean I agree that it's still sane vs. the US in pretty much every other aspect but lol

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

yes

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

also

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

INA 329 applies to all current military service members or veterans who served honorably in an active-duty status or in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve during any of the designated periods of armed conflict listed below:

Sept. 1, 1939 – Dec. 31, 1946
June 25, 1950 – July 1, 1955
Feb. 28, 1961 – Oct. 15, 1978
Aug. 2, 1990 – April 11, 1991
Sept. 11, 2001 – present

Lol "forever" is just a "designated period of armed conflict" now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not really related but Norway's population is 5 million while Ukraine's is 44 million yet Ukraine only uses like 11 TWh more, I wonder what's up with that

e: Also I'd think Norway would use a lot more energy for heating but I guess this is only counting electricity and that's probably all gas or something?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

From 2013:

http://budgetpriorities.org/military-branches-wrestle-with-cost-effectiveness-of-nascar-sponsorships-the-washington-post/

quote:

The Army this season dropped its $8.4 million sponsorship of Ryan Newman’s No. 39 Chevrolet, ending a 10-year relationship with the sport. 
The National Guard remains bullish about its $30 million backing of NASCAR’s most popular driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., although it’s pulling out of motorcycle racing (a $4 million annual expense) next season.
On the other hand, Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.), whose district includes Lowe’s Motor Speedway and the headquarters of many of NASCAR’s top race teams, believes stock-car racing is fertile and logical ground for military recruiters.

“Who is our best target audience? NASCAR fans, who are some of the most patriotic sports fans,” Hudson said, citing a survey commissioned by Hendrick Motorsports that found 90 percent of Army National Guard soldiers who enlisted or re-enlisted from 2007 to 2013 said they had been exposed to the Guard through recruiting or retention materials that incorporated NASCAR. “When you’ve got a star like Dale Jr. who’s wearing ‘National Guard’ on his jumpsuit on TV, you can’t put a price on the return for your investment dollars.”

I love how happy this guy is about recruiting his own constituents to get sent overseas.

But my point is, a lot of money and effort were put into normalizing, almost fetishizing, military service over the last 20 years with the general public, and that can't be ignored. And not everyone had the benefit of my grandfather telling them for 20 years not to be a rifleman.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

"I'm from a relatively sane country where we simply make people join the military" is quite the take. I mean I agree that it's still sane vs. the US in pretty much every other aspect but lol

If you make everyone join the military the public may be less supportive of pointless meatgrinders. Defend the homeland, sure. Send kids your kids halfway around the world to fight for oil profits? Nah.

Probably harder to get people to idolize veterans if everyone is a veteran, lol. Like trying to lionize high school graduates.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you make everyone join the military the public may be less supportive of pointless meatgrinders. Defend the homeland, sure. Send kids your kids halfway around the world to fight for oil profits? Nah.

Probably harder to get people to idolize veterans if everyone is a veteran, lol. Like trying to lionize high school graduates.

On the one hand I've definitely read some stories about how much the public perception of the military has been skewed ever since we stopped doing conscription and less and less of the population actually has first-hand experience with the reality of it.

On the other hand I definitely do not trust the modern American public to not just go full Starship Troopers and embrace it even more for some reason.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at these days

On the other hand,

Shame Boy posted:

I definitely do not trust the modern American public to not just go full Starship Troopers and embrace it even more for some reason.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah, agreed. It's not a full on conscription though, men (NO WOMEN) get a physical exam, an IQ test and then you get to either volunteer (most recruits) or draw lots to see if you have to serve. If you get a service lot, you can refuse military service and you get to do some other service, which apparently is a good way into the entertainment industry.

When you join, you only get basic training and domestic service, any stationing or deployment is something you voluntarily sign up for afterwards, so it's no big deal. It's like a year max too, more likely 6 months I think.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

conscripted military in my country used to be a cesspool of sexual abuse, violent abuse and a waste of a year. far from 'not a big deal.' you definitely don't want to force people into the military unless you have to. i mean it's better than what america does but that doesn't make it good.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

It literally doesn't matter what the public at large supports or doesn't support in this country regarding policy outcomes. They're non-correlated. The only people who actually matter in that respect are people with 100+ million dollar net worths.

Mandatory conscription won't matter to them (and never has) because there are plenty of ways for a sufficiently rich or connected person to escape the draft.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonHair posted:

Yeah, agreed. It's not a full on conscription though, men (NO WOMEN) get a physical exam, an IQ test and then you get to either volunteer (most recruits) or draw lots to see if you have to serve. If you get a service lot, you can refuse military service and you get to do some other service, which apparently is a good way into the entertainment industry.

When you join, you only get basic training and domestic service, any stationing or deployment is something you voluntarily sign up for afterwards, so it's no big deal. It's like a year max too, more likely 6 months I think.

Also you can be a conscientous objector, at least in Denmark

They really wanted me for the army, but I worked at a hospital for 10 months. You can also work at cultural institutions & such

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Compulsory military service is evil, but publin service in general could be a good thing. It could provide training and new perspectives on things.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dex_sda posted:

conscripted military in my country used to be a cesspool of sexual abuse, violent abuse and a waste of a year. far from 'not a big deal.' you definitely don't want to force people into the military unless you have to. i mean it's better than what america does but that doesn't make it good.

I mean, yeah, it's probably very far from ideal because of the great culture that militaries have, the hierarchy and being forced to live together on a base. But it's still a lot better than getting your back and knees hosed while you get to kill brown people who might kill you back. But the problem is probably not worth conscription, but with having a military at all.

To be fair, I only know two or three guys who served, and they're all pretty unlikely victims of any abuse, so I may have a rose tinted impression.

I definitely think we should abandon conscription and probably the military altogether. It's a funny political situation about conscription though, because we occasionally discuss why only men get conscripted, and mostly everyone agrees that it's dumb, but changing it would either require abandoning it or voting in favour of it. The left can't get a majority for abandoning it, but they sure aren't gonna vote in favour of conscription, so it's deadlocked.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Compulsory military service is evil, but publin service in general could be a good thing. It could provide training and new perspectives on things.

Yeah, this is very true. Let everyone, especially rich fuckers, scrub floors in a hospital for six months to get some perspective.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got bad news for what rich fuckers do under compulsory service

(it aint scrubbing floors)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i got bad news for what rich fuckers do under compulsory service

(it aint scrubbing floors)

I know, but as long as I'm pipe dreaming, I might as well make it good. Actually just make the service applied carpentry for patricidal use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Not really related but Norway's population is 5 million while Ukraine's is 44 million yet Ukraine only uses like 11 TWh more, I wonder what's up with that

The average Norwegian is like 5x wealthier than the average Ukrainian in terms of PPP. That Norwegian has a smart home with all modcons drawing juice, while the Ukrainian has a potato for entertainment