Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks for all the helpful tips folks. I researched and built a tank and a load of poison capsules and boy, was it worth it. I hated the car for combat because it was so squishy and hard to control and kept damaging itself on trees; now I have transcended such problems.

Also I finally built a logistics network.

Basically the game just got a whole lot more fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Maugrim posted:

Thanks for all the helpful tips folks. I researched and built a tank and a load of poison capsules and boy, was it worth it. I hated the car for combat because it was so squishy and hard to control and kept damaging itself on trees; now I have transcended such problems.

Also I finally built a logistics network.

Basically the game just got a whole lot more fun!

Yup, poison caps were the game changer for biter clearance for me.

Confession: still haven't built my promised oil outpost. I have an excuse at least. Refined my existing one and hooked up coal liquefaction to at least keep it running at a minimum (and to consume some of my multiple full storage chests of wood), promptly hit a copper barrier as soon as I started getting plastic again. That and some weird train logic thanks to running everything off handmade automation instead of LTN. So bolstering copper production before I expand oil again. At least circuits seem to be my only bottleneck now.

Also had the game on hold a few days because Factorio shreds my sleep schedule.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it better to have my polution creating elements relatively close together? I just put up my electricity grid but my boiler/steam engine is rather far away from my miners/forges. I was thinking of making pipe to bring the water over so I can have the generator closer to me if and when biters come knocking.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it better to have my polution creating elements relatively close together? I just put up my electricity grid but my boiler/steam engine is rather far away from my miners/forges. I was thinking of making pipe to bring the water over so I can have the generator closer to me if and when biters come knocking.

Doesn't matter. All that matters in the early-game is that you try to keep a pollution consumer (trees) between you and the biters. If your pollution cloud reaches a nest, you should go kill it. You should continue doing that until you have full-coverage walls that have automated resupply, because that's the first point when you don't have to be worried about pollution-triggered attacks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What are some good blueprint books to use? Thinking of going for the no spoon achievement.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Taffer posted:

Doesn't matter. All that matters in the early-game is that you try to keep a pollution consumer (trees) between you and the biters. If your pollution cloud reaches a nest, you should go kill it. You should continue doing that until you have full-coverage walls that have automated resupply, because that's the first point when you don't have to be worried about pollution-triggered attacks.

I do have trees around my miners so I think I should try to move my boiler. Or am I thinking too much?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My first game I went super pollution and it really showed, the cloud was huge. Boilers are the worst for it too. Get on solar, if your really having trouble with it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Unlucky7 posted:

I do have trees around my miners so I think I should try to move my boiler. Or am I thinking too much?

You are way overthinking this. Do what seems fun. Default settings Factorio is not some ultra-difficult challenge where you'll be wiped out by biters if you place one building sub-optimally. You do need to make sure you're always keeping up on military tech and preferably keeping your cloud clean until you have good automated defenses established, but those are actually much bigger concerns for a veteran player, who might prefer a desert start and efficiently crank out exponentially scaling production, resulting in a massive pollution cloud very quick which means many biters. The last default settings forest start I did, I deliberately didn't clear out biter nests early game, and I didn't get attacked until like 5 hours in when I was more than equipped to handle it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, sorry about that. I think every time I try this game I get nerves about defense and blitz the thread with questions about it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just put up a wall if your scared of biters at the start, you don't even need turrets at the start. Them attacking the walls will let you know their coming.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, sorry about that. I think every time I try this game I get nerves about defense and blitz the thread with questions about it.

One option is to disable biter expansion, reduce or remove their scaling based on time and/or pollution, and increase their evolution based on how many you kill. That way they will only evolve as you expand, rather than getting stronger over time and as your factory increases in size.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

My attempts to convince robots to automatically pave a multicolor nightmare pukescape have been far more successful than I ever dreamed

And now I'm going to frantically go undo that because jesus christ my eyes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unlucky7 posted:

The questions are okay!

But also my advice is to turn off biters and launch a rocket without them so you get a feel for what the game is before you tie yourself up in knots over these dang bugs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

power crystals posted:

My attempts to convince robots to automatically pave a multicolor nightmare pukescape have been far more successful than I ever dreamed

Are you sure your video card isn't somehow on fire :stonk:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unlucky7 posted:

Are you sure your video card isn't somehow on fire :stonk:

The worst part is that he's playing multiplayer, and did this to his friends

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

power crystals posted:

Power crystals only had to suffer this for half an hour. I've had to live it with all afternoon, and believe me, it only gets worse the longer you stare at it!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The worst part is that he's playing multiplayer, and did this to his friends

This still isn't the worst thing he's subjected us to!

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

A good method for supplying outposts with ammo is to set up a train station to take delivery and distribute ammo, then set up a circuit network to turn the station on and off depending on how much ammo is available at that outpost.

My current map has about 35 hours and biter evolution is coming up on 80%. After automating production of turrets, walls, rob Oporto and everything else, the additional logistics of defending against biter attacks is a nice challenge after playing in peaceful mode for years.

Behemoths should start showing up shortly, but I’ve got artillery queued for research and tons of power storage for laser turrets. As long as you make amp production a priority and have all your defensive structures in the logistics network I haven’t found it overly challenging.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I should really move to rail supplied defenses, but instead I just keep making my giant perimeter belt longer... heh..

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

The Locator posted:

I should really move to rail supplied defenses, but instead I just keep making my giant perimeter belt longer... heh..

The belt must grow. These days I seem to stick with a gnarly perimeter belt too, at least until I switch to laser turrets.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it better to leave bitters be until the pollution cloud reaches them or can I be proactive in taking small bases out.

Also do I actively need stone for anything? I have a miner going but I am not using it for anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You will use stone in making more furnaces and eventually (indirectly) in later technology.

If you have a wall and turrets up then you can put off dealing with biters until later, rather than proactively clearing your entire cloud. You progressively unlock military toys that will let you clear biter bases more efficiently, so putting it off until you have those unlocked can be more effectively than constantly spending all your time clearing bases.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

You will use stone in making more furnaces and eventually (indirectly) in later technology.

If you have a wall and turrets up then you can put off dealing with biters until later, rather than proactively clearing your entire cloud. You progressively unlock military toys that will let you clear biter bases more efficiently, so putting it off until you have those unlocked can be more effectively than constantly spending all your time clearing bases.

Right of course, I just unlocked walls :doh:

Off for wallin.

EDIT: How do you 'clear the cloud'? Just shut off the polluters? I know I can unlock solar relatively early (Not quite at that point yet tho.)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Clearing the cloud means killing the biter bases in/at the edge of your cloud. They will absorb pollution and use that to spawn massive amounts of biters to attack you. It's generally much easier to keep your cloud clear than to deal with constant swarms, but as Jabor said upgrades also make doing so much easier. At first turret walking is the only practical way to clear them (walk close enough to the biter base, plonk down 2-4 turrets, control + right click + drag with ammo selected to put some in them, then just try to keep them/yourself alive as you successively drop turrets closer in and wipe the base out. The first big upgrade is the combination of the car and grenades, which lets you drive in circles around bases while blowing them up, and/or defender capsules, which absolutely shred early on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have unlocked drilling for oil, hooray for me.

So, is building up petroleum gas just... really really slow and there's nothing I can do about it? The oil refineries take a long time to puff out not very much gas at all, even with four refineries going at once. I have it hooked up to two chemical plants making sulfur and a single fluid car on a train, and the rate of production is just utterly pathetic. Train's gonna fill up once every two or three years at this rate.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

You can (and should) unlock advanced oil processing for a better ratio. After that you can unlock cracking, which allows you to turn heavy oil into light and light oil into petroleum gas.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Unlucky7 posted:

Right of course, I just unlocked walls :doh:

Off for wallin.

Besides walls, major uses of stone include railway tracks, and landfill which uses a ton - one unit of landfill fills one small square and takes 25 stone. I just hooked up my second stone quarry to fulfil my landfill needs.

Also you can pave your base with stone bricks when you feel like getting fancy.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I have unlocked drilling for oil, hooray for me.

So, is building up petroleum gas just... really really slow and there's nothing I can do about it? The oil refineries take a long time to puff out not very much gas at all, even with four refineries going at once. I have it hooked up to two chemical plants making sulfur and a single fluid car on a train, and the rate of production is just utterly pathetic. Train's gonna fill up once every two or three years at this rate.

A single refinery with basic oil processing should make 540 petroleum per minute, so 4 of them would be 2160 per minute. A fluid wagon holds 25000, so you would need 11.5 minutes to fill that.
The answer is (as always): build more.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It could also be a supply issue. If you piped your oil back to base an extremely long way, using normal pipes (And not underground), that can mean the raw crude just isn't making it to your refineries.

Generally I put a tank near the refineries (and sometimes a pump into said tank) to ensure pressure is good for the refineries themselves, but also to visually diagnose if I need to go tap more oil or not.

Also, a train car can hold an absolute fuckton of liquid, comparatively.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A point to point piece of rail with a two-headed train is often better than piping liquid long distances.

In my most recent save I'm delivering water to my refineries by train.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought that getting to the end game would be hard but both times I got there I hand fed turrets at all my bases until the end and it was fine. Even just 100 magazines lasts long in the turrets usually longer than they arnt destroyed.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

power crystals posted:

What the gently caress. How was that achieved?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Collateral Damage posted:

A point to point piece of rail with a two-headed train is often better than piping liquid long distances.

In my most recent save I'm delivering water to my refineries by train.

I'm about to have to bolt some more liquid trains into my network. Fortunately think I can manage (almost) everything in one location to keep it to just oil and maybe either lubricant or heavy oil (I don't recall the proportions for which one takes up less). Ship iron, copper, and coal in, produce sulfur, sulfuric acid, solid and rocket fuel, plastic, lubricant (or maybe even do belts on site for supply chain simplification)...

I have no idea how much space this will take up but this is going to suck to build thinking about it. No wonder I've been putting it off for a week or so now.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Taffer posted:

I'll be slightly contrarian and say don't rush automated supply. Your early resources are better spent elsewhere + it makes expansion a PIA.

Instead, drop a few turrets around your perimeter, particularly on the side of the closest biter bases. Give them at least a partial wall + ~25 bullets. Block choke points when you can.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Ambaire posted:

What the gently caress. How was that achieved?

As mentioned somewhere upthread I have my own "better" version of concreep. Notably it works in squares instead of radii and it supports mod tiles (in this case, Dectorio's colored reinforced concrete). The first attempt of just providing it in general yielded the lines; to achieve that horrible dying GPU effect I limited it to one tile available to robots at a time so it wouldn't draw more than one square in a row before it had to wait for more to show up.

One of these days I'll get around to talking to the concreep guy to see if I can just release this, though I did find a couple bugs while I was testing this anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is concrete worth it over stone? I ask this after I placed down a bunch of city blocks with concrete and this game is pretty much setup for concrete so I'm not gonna change it now. But is there any reason to just do all this as stone instead? Well the way I got iron ore and water to my concrete assemblers are pretty jank.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tenzarin posted:

Is concrete worth it over stone? I ask this after I placed down a bunch of city blocks with concrete and this game is pretty much setup for concrete so I'm not gonna change it now. But is there any reason to just do all this as stone instead? Well the way I got iron ore and water to my concrete assemblers are pretty jank.

You get twice as much concrete per stone mined, at the cost of 1/10th of an iron ore for every concrete square (and water, which is infinite). Plus you move slightly faster on it. I already automated concrete for other base resources so it was a pretty easy decision to just make everything with concrete for me. Refined concrete is too much for it to be worth the additional 10% for me, regular concrete is a nice balance.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ok, I guess its worth it then.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I like having that step you get from concrete to refined concrete for my visual elements.
The walking speed difference is marginal, I don't even know if it impacts spider speed.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you need concrete for iirc nuke reactors or something else way down the tech tree so you might as well leave it automated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Clark Nova posted:

you need concrete for iirc nuke reactors or something else way down the tech tree so you might as well leave it automated

Also centrifuges and artillery.