Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m agreeing with what you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The yeti strikes again

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, so you can win half a mil by being fat and laying around in your own filth all day long like a useless sack of poo poo? I think I'm going to reevaluate my plans for the year.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can't lay in filth or the bears will smell you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

That's hilarious, do you have a link to this vid?
There was another guy, season 2, where a guy saw bear poop and hit the panic button and left literally 6 hours after he was dropped off. He was in the army. Unfortunately he was the only black guy the show's had iirc

Tbf I wouldn't gently caress with grizzlies either. If they could ever do one on the east coast, black bears are nbd, but brown bears, hell no.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

They’ll be all right

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Anne Whateley posted:

There was another guy, season 2, where a guy saw bear poop and hit the panic button and left literally 6 hours after he was dropped off. He was in the army. Unfortunately he was the only black guy the show's had iirc

Tbf I wouldn't gently caress with grizzlies either. If they could ever do one on the east coast, black bears are nbd, but brown bears, hell no.

I'm skeptical the showrunners would allow for a situation where the contestants actually have a realistic chance of being mauled by bears.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rinkles posted:

I'm skeptical the showrunners would allow for a situation where the contestants actually have a realistic chance of being mauled by bears.

They send them out there with bear spray. More than one contestant has had to light a flare to scare off a bear next to their shelters at night. Plenty have been nearish to bears with cubs in daylight. I'm only on season 3 but one person this season spotted a puma walking near their campsite as well.

You should probably check out season 1!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Rinkles posted:

That's life in the pacific northwest. It's bear country and if you hike, camp, or even live there then you deal with them. The fun of season 1 is seeing a bunch of macho men be unable to handle a situation that boy scouts and backpackers navigate every day of the year. Also, where applicable they carry legally mandated b we are measures like spray, noisemakers, bangers, etc. Really they're heavily equipped, they just get in their own head about it. The later seasons you get people who are totally unfazed by predators though.

I lived in southeast Alaska for a summer and bear poop was aaaaaallll over the trails we hiked on. Didn't run into any while hiking, but over the course of the summer my wife and I saw probably 25 bears? Mostly from the road. You just make a lot of noise and they leave you alone.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Anne Whateley posted:

No, there was also that accountant guy from Ohio that did survival stuff as a Boy Scout leader.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jr. posted:

Please explain y'all's outfits, or lack thereof, in American nature. There's always naked Germans somewhere.

Do you mean buttnaked or scantly clad? I am not sure but I think a lot of people go "on vacation" to some sunny place and automatically think EVERY activity is done in t-shirt/tanktop and shorts and open shoes.because you gotta catch some rays man.

We like to go "out into nature" but to us it means into a heavily managed forest, cycling along a road/path or climbing a well frequented mountain. Maybe that's why people don't dress appropriately, they really just expect a stroll with a fancy view.

And "wilderness" to most of us is a euphemism used to describe the neighbours unkempt garden or the overgrown lot behind the empty industrial ruin down the road.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 11, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

No, there was also that accountant guy from Ohio that did survival stuff as a Boy Scout leader.
The guy I mean was a Boy Scout too, but from Arizona it looks like https://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast/desmond-white

e: oh I found the one you mean https://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast/britt-ahart
it looks like there have been a couple more since then

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It looks like some of the seasons are available to watch for free on History's website https://play.history.com/shows/alone/unlocked

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The "oh gently caress" moment of my life was rounding a corner on a trail in Glacier Park and seeing two grizzly cubs sitting on the trail. Thankfully we didn't see the mother because we immediately bolted in the other direction.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The "oh gently caress" moment of my life was rounding a corner on a trail in Glacier Park and seeing two grizzly cubs sitting on the trail. Thankfully we didn't see the mother because we immediately bolted in the other direction.

Me and some of my friends were in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison when a brown bear came walking up the path. Was probably 1-2 years old, clearly habituated to people. Walked by about 10 feet from our group and just kept going.

By far my biggest pants making GBS threads moment from hiking was when I was in Huntington Ravine on Mount Washington and came around a corner to see a moose and her calf about 20 feet away. Those things are surprisingly quiet.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Double post, but if you're into wilderness survival a bunch of Survivorman episodes are on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdteC6yMLFp0gmUaCnWIq5gYhqoz_bk5_

Link is season 1, I think there's a couple more seasons on there.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

they sent people out to fend for themselves in bear territory? i find that hard to believe.

bear AND cougar territory

Lasca
May 8, 2007

other than the occasional grizzly swimming over, Vancouver Island is all wussy black bears.
Cougars are the real scary poo poo

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Lasca posted:

other than the occasional grizzly swimming over, Vancouver Island is all wussy black bears.
Cougars are the real scary poo poo

Just carry wine in your pack. Easy.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Hopper posted:

Do you mean buttnaked or scantly clad? I am not sure but I think a lot of people go "on vacation" to some sunny place and automatically think EVERY activity is done in t-shirt/tanktop and shorts and open shoes.because you gotta catch some rays man.

We like to go "out into nature" but to us it means into a heavily managed forest, cycling along a road/path or climbing a well frequented mountain. Maybe that's why people don't dress appropriately, they really just expect a stroll with a fancy view.

And "wilderness" to most of us is a euphemism used to describe the neighbours unkempt garden or the overgrown lot behind the empty industrial ruin down the road.

Butt naked. This is probably the funniest headline

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

They’ll be all right

Not great, not terrible.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah well, those are just ordinary crazy people and probably the odd sex pest among them.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I work a job that regularly involves being in rural/semi-rural areas. My coworkers are terrified of bears, snakes, mountain lions, bobcats, and dogs, in that order. Statistically speaking, the common domestic pupper is far and away more dangerous. Black bears ain't poo poo, a majority of snake bite incidents involve alcohol, mountain lion attacks are more rare than lightning strikes, and how anyone can even get close enough to a bobcat to get scratched, I do not know.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A Festivus Miracle posted:

, and how anyone can even get close enough to a bobcat to get scratched, I do not know.

Generally one gets stuck in your shed/barn and when you open the door it is, by now, not in a great loving mood.

That was a rude awakening one morning to ~14 year old me just trying to get the tractor rigged for the day.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

My dad was a utility locator and rattlesnake bites were a sufficient threat that he rolled with anti-snake greaves and heavy boots. He got bit all the time but I'm pretty sure that was based on an up-armored decision to go through the snake rather than back off and wait for the snake to leave.

Edit: but yeah, as someone up thread noted: a sober person can often avoid snek so long as they're not contractual obligated to go through them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 11, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

My dad was a utility locator and rattlesnake bites were a sufficient threat that he rolled with anti-snake greaves and heavy boots. He got bit all the time but I'm pretty sure that was based on an up-armored decision to go through the snake rather than back off and wait for the snake to leave.

He probably had mithradeitic level poison resistance

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Those don't look like they would work. I do appreciate the camo though, the snake will think it's being trod on by a tree and not know where to strike!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

They worked fine, the problem came when geography and snake placement conspired for the strike to occur above the shin. Then he'd go to the hospital.

Why yes, my dad did die young of a car accident, suck it snek :smith:.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rattlesnakes are so sweet, love that they let you know they're feeling threatened.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I hitchiked with a guy and his giant shar pei with a hosed up face. Turns out a cougar literally ripped the dog's face off while the dog tore the cat's throat out. He somehow got the dog with its face hanging off its chin to a vet who put in a couple thousand stitches. The dog looked like a regular happy dog, just with kinda hosed up tear ducts and a pulled back wrinkleless face, like the alien in men in black wearing the redneck like a suit.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When I was hiking the AT I rounded a corner and saw a bobcat pounce on a rabbit not 5ft from me. I imagine if it was a little closer I could have been swatted at to protect its meal. Was cool as gently caress though seeing nature do its thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You shoulda taken that rabbit. Assert dominance.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

They worked fine, the problem came when geography and snake placement conspired for the strike to occur above the shin. Then he'd go to the hospital.

Why yes, my dad did die young of a car accident, suck it snek :smith:.

This is the moment you realise a snake cut his brake line.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Rinkles posted:

they sent people out to fend for themselves in bear territory? i find that hard to believe.

I find this post weirdly adorable

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ante posted:

I find this post weirdly adorable

i think they care about money (being liable)

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Jr. posted:

Butt naked. This is probably the funniest headline

Swiss village fights back after invasion of naked German hikers posted:

There was already a statutory provision in place to allow for a fine to be imposed. Unfortunately, that regulation required a member of the public to report the matter to the police. While a number of people had grumbled about the new visitors, no one was willing to attach their name to a formal complaint. That meant that although the police could briefly detain the ramblers, they were powerless to take any further action.
Now the regulations have been amended, allowing the police to act without a formal complaint from a third party. As of last Wednesday, anyone caught wandering the mountain region in the nude will be hit with a fine of 200 Swiss francs (£122).
Appenzell-Innerhoden has a reputation as a bastion of tradition, partly founded on its local election laws, which did not change to allow women the vote until 1990, making it one of the last regions in the Western world without universal suffrage.
lol

iwentdoodie posted:

Generally one gets stuck in your shed/barn and when you open the door it is, by now, not in a great loving mood.

That was a rude awakening one morning to ~14 year old me just trying to get the tractor rigged for the day.
:yikes: :catstare:

George H.W. oval office posted:

When I was hiking the AT I rounded a corner and saw a bobcat pounce on a rabbit not 5ft from me. I imagine if it was a little closer I could have been swatted at to protect its meal. Was cool as gently caress though seeing nature do its thing.
:aaa:

Outrail posted:

I hitchiked with a guy and his giant shar pei with a hosed up face. Turns out a cougar literally ripped the dog's face off while the dog tore the cat's throat out. He somehow got the dog with its face hanging off its chin to a vet who put in a couple thousand stitches. The dog looked like a regular happy dog, just with kinda hosed up tear ducts and a pulled back wrinkleless face, like the alien in men in black wearing the redneck like a suit.
:aaaaa:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Rinkles posted:

I don't know where you live, but in the PNW it's literally not possible to be in an area with no bears. You will encounter them at some point if you spend a good amount of time outdoors. But also, they're not Revenant-style murder machines, as long as you're not an idiot, they're almost always harmless*

*there are obviously a lot of caveats here that I'm skipping over

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Innerhoden also means "interior testicle" (for storing pee)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rinkles posted:

There are like five thousand other ways they could die, including exposure, falling off stuff, fires, hantavirus, snakes, pumas, chopping off limbs, or just drinking untreated water or squirting fish eggs into your mouth. I don't get why bears would be the dividing line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Wait, the fish egg thing is bad for you? :confused: