Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Allegedly you can get something closer with a 50:50 mix of matte medium and air brush flow improver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Feeple posted:

This. As in so many other things in life, there's really no substitution for practice and/or experience. If you can't bear the thought of loving up even one of your precious bois and then strip the model, paper and cardboard are cheap and plentiful, and can at least let you experience the basics.

EDIT: Jesus WEP has a solid idea as well.

Dollar store packs of toy soldiers, cars and dinosaurs.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Allegedly you can get something closer with a 50:50 mix of matte medium and air brush flow improver

Acrylic ink, airbrush flow improver and glazing medium in varying ratios depending on your ink color worked really well for me. Start with one drop ink, two drops airbrush flow, one drop glazing medium and see how it behaves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I figured it was something that involved glaze medium, but I wouldn't have guessed airbrush flow improver, probably because I don't have an airbrush.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I’ve not used contrast, but I like Goobertown’s substitute recipe. Something like 1:1 ink to matte medium + a few drops of flow improver (I may have the ratio off). I use it more for glazing and stippling for texture than as a Contrast TM paint. Thinning it with water or medium can result in some nice subtle effects. Got a small bottle of burnt umber as a wyldewood sub, but it’s easy to just mix it on a palette as needed.

https://youtu.be/VU0rc0EOOys

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Nolzurs line of minis are good for practice too. $5 gets you two or three fairly detailed minis. Plastic army men have kind of muddy details for stuff like washes and whatnot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Anyone have any tips for stripping primer off of plastic? I've got a small (cheap and crappy) ultrasonic cleaner, and while it does a pretty ok job stripping the actual paint it's leaving big patches of primer that I'm worried will show up if I re-prime, or will flake off later and ruin a paintjob.

Is this just a "get a better ultrasonic cleaner" situation?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

PoptartsNinja posted:

Anyone have any tips for stripping primer off of plastic? I've got a small (cheap and crappy) ultrasonic cleaner, and while it does a pretty ok job stripping the actual paint it's leaving big patches of primer that I'm worried will show up if I re-prime, or will flake off later and ruin a paintjob.

It depends on the primer.
Soaking in LA Totally Awesome, Simple Green, Purple Power, or my favorite Dawn Power Cleanser for multiple hours is your best bet. Adding a bit of the Ultrasonics to it couldn't hurt.

Goobertown Hobbies did a side by side comparison of various optoins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBjt1wKZfc

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick mini-review. Right off the bat, this is an AK Interactive product. Like many overzealous euro-hobby companies, they seem to have permanent foot/product-in-mouth disease. While this book is completely inoffensive, some may want to shy away from companies that have made dumbass business moves or released some tasteless products from time to time.

Moving on... I've been a big fan of all of AK Interactives FAQ books, which up to now have dealt with painting techniques for Armor and Air. Now they have a new book out, FAQ - Figure Painting Techniques, by Kiril Kanaev. This mainly deals with the painting of busts and larger 1/35 and 1/16 scale figs, but the techniques are still of use to mini painters. This new book is a huge tome of amazing tips and techniques for figure painting. I hadn't heard of Kiril Kanaev before this, but evidently by the work on display he's a master. Everything from the products to use, to the different styles and techniques to pull off amazing paint-jobs. Definitely worth a buy for those with deep pockets.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/figures-f-a-q-figure-painting-techniques-the-complete-guide-for-figure-scale-modelers/

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 10, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just use simple green it's great. Ultrasonic cleaner is also really useful but the big thing is to just wish in simple green for a couple days.

I have a cheap rear end ultrasonic but a better one does seem appealing. Cheap one seems to work done for everything I do with it (stripping models, cleaning airbrush)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They sat in simple green for a week, then got to swim in LA's totally awesome in between ultrasonic cleaner sessions. I've been at it for a week and a half, and this is the result:

I use army painter spray because it works over Reaper Bones and it's tough. I guess I just never realized how tough.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Not sure how it would work with the plastic, but engine degreaser is pretty hardcore from what I've heard too

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've never had any luck getting a good clean even with soaking a mini in simple green for a week.

I stripped my metal Bjorn with carby cleaner and that was ez.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I hadn't heard of Kiril Kanaev before this, but evidently by the work on display he's a master. Everything from the products to use, to the different styles and techniques to pull off amazing paint-jobs. Definitely worth a buy for those with deep pockets.

He's definitely on the short list of contenders for "world's best miniature painter" imo. He mainly does large scale stuff these days but his coolminiornot name is Yellow one if you want to check out his older small scale stuff. The style is a bit dated but it's still really impressive.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Moon Monster posted:

He's definitely on the short list of contenders for "world's best miniature painter" imo. He mainly does large scale stuff these days but his coolminiornot name is Yellow one if you want to check out his older small scale stuff. The style is a bit dated but it's still really impressive.

Interesting. I wonder if he refined his technique once he move to larger subjects. I mean, the knight "Le Hire" on the book cover is NMM. Even when I read that and had my nose 2 inches from the image, I still couldn't really tell it wasn't actually a true metallic paint, it's just an amazing job.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are all the techniques using oil paints?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Are all the techniques using oil paints?

He uses just about every type of paint there is, it's quite comprehensive. Here's some pics of the index, so you can see what's on offer:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

I've never had any luck getting a good clean even with soaking a mini in simple green for a week.

I stripped my metal Bjorn with carby cleaner and that was ez.

I wonder if simple green in Australia is a different mix because it is hot garbage and has always been hot garbage here.

It does work but requires vigorous scrubbing with very stiff bristles and is still uneven.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

You have a valid opinion there, his stuff is truly astonishing. Does anyone know what the dwarf models in this diorama are?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/247391?browseid=11398945
http://www.coolminiornot.com/247461?browseid=11398945

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

You have a valid opinion there, his stuff is truly astonishing. Does anyone know what the dwarf models in this diorama are?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/247391?browseid=11398945
http://www.coolminiornot.com/247461?browseid=11398945

Looks like the "Dwarf King on War Bear", and various other dwarves, from Scibor Miniatures.

https://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=851
https://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=139

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Looks like the "Dwarf King on War Bear", and various other dwarves, from Scibor Miniatures.

https://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=851
https://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=139

Thank you for letting me know, but did you ever see minis and think "I am not worthy of painting that"? Because man do I not have the skill to do any of their models justice

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eediot Jedi posted:

I wonder if simple green in Australia is a different mix because it is hot garbage and has always been hot garbage here.

It does work but requires vigorous scrubbing with very stiff bristles and is still uneven.

It has to be different, it's terrible. Works ok on my tiles though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They sat in simple green for a week, then got to swim in LA's totally awesome in between ultrasonic cleaner sessions. I've been at it for a week and a half, and this is the result:

I use army painter spray because it works over Reaper Bones and it's tough. I guess I just never realized how tough.

I've had similar experiences with Army Painter skeleton bone. It seems to kinda turn in to a very sticky goop that sticks to models very hard if you try to strip it with the wrong stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PoptartsNinja posted:

My ultrasonic cleaner was cheap as hell, but I put minis in it and fill it with methylated spirits and it strips them back to bare plastic/metal after running them through two 8-minute cycles (most were done after one cycle tbh) and lightly touching them with a toothbrush. The most stubborn "What the gently caress did you prime this with" figures I've had off ebay took a third cycle. Its safe on hard plastic (though sometimes does break superglue bonds, which isnt a big deal to me) and fairly safe to use*. Only words of caution are: I havent tried it on reaper bones style softer plastics, so while I think it'd be fine I cant personally swear to it. It is flammable and running the ultrasonic cleaner does warm it up. I found after a while (like 4-5 eight minute cycles, I was stripping a BUNCH of figures, and couldnt fit many in at a time because its a small cleaner) it had raised to about body temperature, so I let it sit and cool down before running it again.

*Probably shouldnt immerse your hands in it tbh, so I'm going to say wear rubber gloves or at least remember to use the little tray thing for removing miniatures so you dont have to go rooting around the bottom of the cleaner with your fingers. Worst its ever done to me is a bit of dry skin, but better safe than sorry, especially if you have sensitive skin or are a hand model or something.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 10, 2021

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I use break fluid. Cheap, available at any gas station, and I've never had a mini not completely stripped, primer and all, after soaking in there for 3-4 hours.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Looking through his CoolMini pictures and of course, he's the guy who painted the best Crimson Fist ever.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I was wondering if someone has experience with this that can help me out.

I just received the three Raphael brushes I ordered from Jackson's Art and the ferrules are slightly bent, due to the flimsy cardboard packaging they shipped them in. Is this a common occurrence from this place? Jackson's has come highly regarded, as well as the brushes, but I didn't expect them to be shipped in what is essentially a cardboard folder. :(

Has anyone dealt with things like this from this company? How did they resolve it? I sent them a message on their website and have yet to hear back from them and I'm wondering what to expect.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Haven't had any experience with them specifically but ugh buying brushes online is such a shitshow. I'm not surprised that some underpaid / overworked Amazon stocker just tosses a brush in a box and sends it down the line but there's not really an excuse for an actual art store not knowing how to package brushes.

So far the only place I've bought a brush from online that I would ever do business with again is Rosemary and Co. Everywhere else has either just chucked them in a box or a padded envelope and usually doesn't even put a ferrule cap on it (not that it would ever stay on anyway but at least the thought would count a little bit).

Hopefully they get you sorted out - I'd definitely be treating a brush like like as receiving damaged goods.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I was wondering if someone has experience with this that can help me out.

I just received the three Raphael brushes I ordered from Jackson's Art and the ferrules are slightly bent, due to the flimsy cardboard packaging they shipped them in. Is this a common occurrence from this place? Jackson's has come highly regarded, as well as the brushes, but I didn't expect them to be shipped in what is essentially a cardboard folder. :(

Has anyone dealt with things like this from this company? How did they resolve it? I sent them a message on their website and have yet to hear back from them and I'm wondering what to expect.

I had this exact problem with dick blick once, cardboard sleeve they sent the brushes in was jacked up and a couple brushes were bent beyond recovery. I contacted their customer service with photos of the brushes and packaging and they immediately refunded me.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Haven't had any experience with them specifically but ugh buying brushes online is such a shitshow. I'm not surprised that some underpaid / overworked Amazon stocker just tosses a brush in a box and sends it down the line but there's not really an excuse for an actual art store not knowing how to package brushes.

So far the only place I've bought a brush from online that I would ever do business with again is Rosemary and Co. Everywhere else has either just chucked them in a box or a padded envelope and usually doesn't even put a ferrule cap on it (not that it would ever stay on anyway but at least the thought would count a little bit).

Hopefully they get you sorted out - I'd definitely be treating a brush like like as receiving damaged goods.

If this were just an Amazon purchase I wouldn't be as surprised, but this was from the retailer. They did place the brushes in a plastic bag with caps on them, but the package that is is is basically a branded 6"x1' folded piece of corrugated cardboard glued shut. :(

Bucnasti posted:

I had this exact problem with dick blick once, cardboard sleeve they sent the brushes in was jacked up and a couple brushes were bent beyond recovery. I contacted their customer service with photos of the brushes and packaging and they immediately refunded me.

Honestly, these aren't bent nearly that badly, but if I were to roll them on the table, there's a definite wobble to the ferrule on all 3. I'd be fine returning them for replacements, I'd just rather not wait another two months shipping to and from the uk. I feel a bit nitpicky about it, but this is the first time I bought nice brushes, and the first time I've bought brushes online.

We'll see what happens. Thanks for the info goons!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
See if you can restore the brushes a little bit with brush soap. Give it a good washing with the soap and then rinse it out one more time, dab it dry, roll the brush in the lather and then form a tip and let it dry. Master's Brush Cleaner is also a conditioner and it should have some benefit in restoring brush hair straightness. But yeah I got my Raphaels from Jackson and didn't have a problem so I guess it's just bad luck. Definitely let them know though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If it's just bent ferrules and the actually hairs themselves aren't bent / split they're probably still usable honestly, but yeah that's still a lovely introduction to good brushes. But the hairs go really far up into the ferrule so it would probably be hard to tell if there's anything weird going on that might become a problem later.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I'm having a bastard of a time painting brown leather. Anyone got some recipes they like?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

I'm having a bastard of a time painting brown leather. Anyone got some recipes they like?

I use the newbie method of Dryad Bark base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Gorthor Brown highlight, Baneblade Brown second highlight.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I use the newbie method of Dryad Bark base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Gorthor Brown highlight, Baneblade Brown second highlight.

Same. Although I've done it with Rhinox hide as well.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
Snakebite leather contrast has been a real treat for me.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Quick mini-review. Right off the bat, this is an AK Interactive product. Like many overzealous euro-hobby companies, they seem to have permanent foot/product-in-mouth disease. While this book is completely inoffensive, some may want to shy away from companies that have made dumbass business moves or released some tasteless products from time to time.

Moving on... I've been a big fan of all of AK Interactives FAQ books, which up to now have dealt with painting techniques for Armor and Air. Now they have a new book out, FAQ - Figure Painting Techniques, by Kiril Kanaev. This mainly deals with the painting of busts and larger 1/35 and 1/16 scale figs, but the techniques are still of use to mini painters. This new book is a huge tome of amazing tips and techniques for figure painting. I hadn't heard of Kiril Kanaev before this, but evidently by the work on display he's a master. Everything from the products to use, to the different styles and techniques to pull off amazing paint-jobs. Definitely worth a buy for those with deep pockets.

https://ak-interactive.com/product/figures-f-a-q-figure-painting-techniques-the-complete-guide-for-figure-scale-modelers/

Bringing this back up because I just found out my workplace has a policy of reimbursing employees for one nonfiction book purchase per month...and there's no listed limit on the cost of the book! Hell yes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Did a color palette test for my Novokh Necrons -- I went with a bone head instead of a red head. I'm pretty happy with it, especially since this is my first time trying to do the green glowy effect.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 11, 2021

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Looks nice. Can you mirror it on the scarabs and do their heads bone with a green glow in the middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Looks nice. Can you mirror it on the scarabs and do their heads bone with a green glow in the middle?

Hmmm that's an interesting idea