Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
They won't convict unless there is a videotape of Trump spending a solid hour saying non-stop "I'm going to get my supporters to murder Congress on Jan 6th while they are counting the electors".

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1359889207079165958

I wonder why the GOP thinks the BLM riots last summer were about the GOP, hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

They won't convict unless there is a videotape of Trump spending a solid hour saying non-stop "I'm going to get my supporters to murder Congress on Jan 6th while they are counting the electors".

Yes, chanting in a park until the riot cops show up with tear gas is exactly the same as people with long guns assaulting the capitol shouting to kill the senior elected leadership of the national government, why do you ask?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Murgos posted:

Yes, chanting in a park until the riot cops show up with tear gas is exactly the same as people with long guns assaulting the capitol shouting to kill the senior elected leadership of the national government, why do you ask?

Long guns and also planting explosives!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Thom12255 posted:

What "violence" are these dipshits ever going on about?

They cry about entire cities burning, when it was like what, a Walmart?

The loving Capitol was stormed you loving massive idiots. Your own lives were threatened

For gently caress sakes you would think GOP Congress people would at least have basic self preservation instincts, but no: utterly servile and "whataboutisms" to the end

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 11, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
For all the video they've used, I haven't seen anyone play the "hang Mike Pence" chant juxtaposed with Trump saying "I hope he does the right thing". I've seen the "where's Mike Pence" but saw and heard the "hang" version with my own ears and eyes on a live stream 1/6.

I would think that would make for compelling footage but Republicans would just go "see? They weren't Trump supporters. They were targeting the highest ranking Republicans!"

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

What "violence" are these dipshits ever going on about?

They cry about entire cities burning, when it was like what, a Walmart?

The loving Capitol was stormed you fuckjng massive idiots. Your own lives were threatened

For gently caress sakes you would think GOP Congress people would at least have basic self preservation instincts, but no: utterly servile and "whataboutisms" to the end

I live in the Twin Cities and helped clean up glass, burnt metal and bricks off the sidewalk I used to take to work every day. Specifically I helped clean up at the Sports Dome shown a few pictures down here: https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/09/aerial-views-of-st-paul-minneapolis-show-the-extent-of-destruction-from-riots/ People live in those houses back there. A neighborhood independent pharmacy where I used to change buses was burned to the ground.

The MPD's behavior destroyed a lot more than "a Walmart". That month was really hard for everyone who lives here. Please don't downplay the cost of bad policework.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BiggerBoat posted:

For all the video they've used, I haven't seen anyone play the "hang Mike Pence" chant juxtaposed with Trump saying "I hope he does the right thing". I've seen the "where's Mike Pence" but saw and heard the "hang" version with my own ears and eyes on a live stream 1/6.

I would think that would make for compelling footage but Republicans would just go "see? They weren't Trump supporters. They were targeting the highest ranking Republicans!"

The "hang Mike Pence" video was played yesterday, I thought shortly before the "where's Mike Pence" video.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1359556631655309314?s=20

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Why wouldn't you play a shitload of those people saying he told them to do it?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just surreal seeing fascist shitposts being played and shown unedited on the Senate floor. Solid lol

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For those not watching, house managers are demonstrating that the insurrectionists were using Trump's words, thought they were fighting for Trump, argued that they were following his orders, that they publicized it and felt they weren't going to be punished.

There's footage here I've not seen before.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Rioters at Capitol Building: "We were only following Orders."

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

This Jennifer Ryan supercut is amazing. Just ripped straight from CopingMAGA.

I just wish they would call out Republican jurors who are doodling or refusing to look at the evidence.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

eggyolk posted:

This Jennifer Ryan supercut is amazing. Just ripped straight from CopingMAGA.

I just wish they would call out Republican jurors who are doodling or refusing to look at the evidence.

I think Hawley was called out yesterday for sitting in the balcony with his feet up going over paperwork.

E:
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2161...peachment-trial
https://www.mediaite.com/news/josh-hawley-reportedly-ignoring-trump-impeachment-trial-after-stunt-to-delegitimize-the-2020-election/

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

eke out posted:

google 'speech and debate clause' to learn why this is absolutely unconstitutional

That's during normal Senate business. These hearings have specific rules against what he did. Speech and Debate does not apply until the very end of evidence presentation by both the prosecution and defense.

There is a question/answer period after evidence is given, and the option to call more witnesses, but this isn't a regular courtroom and it's also not a regular Senate hearing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Darko posted:

Eh, it's the actors too because EVERY ( decent sized city) cop has seen incompetency and corruption in fellow cops at the least, and actual assault, crimes, and racial hate at the worst, and has stood aside and done nothing about it. If they did do something about it, they would no longer be cops.

This only really doesn't apply for cops that are in small towns or places where they don't have to deal with minorities, etc. and don't see how fellow cops act around them.

The Wire is a good example; Kima and McNulty and later-Carver and Freemon were "good cops," but were still shown to screw over people, beat people, and turn a blind eye to bad colleagues.

Seeing harm and doing nothing about it makes you complicit in the harm and thus not good.

That was my point. All Cops Are Bastards because all cops are part of the same corrupt system. Doesn't matter if it was Bunk or Officer Goodman doing valiant things, they're still bastards.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That's during normal Senate business. These hearings have specific rules against what he did. Speech and Debate does not apply until the very end of evidence presentation by both the prosecution and defense.

There is a question/answer period after evidence is given, and the option to call more witnesses, but this isn't a regular courtroom and it's also not a regular Senate hearing.

The sargeant at arms started this morning noting that all were required to sit in silence throughout the proceeding or suffer imprisonment. Presumably the same was true yesterday. This would not prevent a point of order or privilege, but Lee's challenge was neither.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1359913360167493638

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Raskin is now showing how Trump has been priming his supporters for violence all the way back to 2015. This trial is starting to just be a complete and utter indictment of everything Trump has done the past 5 1/2 years to destroy American institutions and norms.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kalit posted:

The "hang Mike Pence" video was played yesterday, I thought shortly before the "where's Mike Pence" video.

OK, then I missed it. Thanks. Dems should call him to testify.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The sargeant at arms started this morning noting that all were required to sit in silence throughout the proceeding or suffer imprisonment. Presumably the same was true yesterday. This would not prevent a point of order or privilege, but Lee's challenge was neither.

It was, it's at the 3-minute mark of the video on C-span for yesterday's hearing.

I just couldn't figure out how to link directly to it here.

Thom12255 posted:

Raskin is now showing how Trump has been priming his supporters for violence all the way back to 2015. This trial is starting to just be a complete and utter indictment of everything Trump has done the past 5 1/2 years to destroy American institutions and norms.

Yeah, I'm absolutely riveted to this now. I like how much more effort has been put into this.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1359920667915870212

https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/1359920950297436168

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
drat, using the Michigan capitol raids as a parallel is super striking.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

No, it's not only during normal Senate business, you've made up a rule that does not exist.

I will quote the Congressional Research Service:

quote:

Examining judicial precedent regarding acts that are “legislative,” it would appear that Members enjoy protection under the Clause when:
- speaking or acting on the House or Senate floor;
- introducing and voting on bills and resolutions;
- preparing and submitting committee reports;
- speaking or acting at committee meetings and hearings;
- conducting official investigations and issuing subpoenas; and
- engaging in fact-finding and information-gathering for legislative purposes.

There's a distinction between the Senate's ability to enforce its own rules and have the Sergeant at Arms stop someone from disrupting a hearing and your call for the arrest of a Senator for speech on the floor of the Senate.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Establishing a pattern of behavior is key to this case. I'm extremely pleased this is all coming up now, because showing that Trump just... does this like water flows through a colander is absolutely essential to proving how this could happen without him having a specific conspiracy to do so.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 11, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

eke out posted:

No, it's not only during normal Senate business, you've made up a rule that does not exist.

I will quote the Congressional Research Service:

There's a distinction between the Senate's ability to enforce its own rules and have the Sergeant at Arms stop someone from disrupting a hearing and your call for the arrest of a Senator for speech on the floor of the Senate.

Yeah? Which one of those things was Lee doing when he demanded evidence be removed from the record because it made him look bad?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah? Which one of those things was Lee doing when he demanded evidence be removed from the record because it made him look bad?

speaking on the floor of the Senate, you should pay more attention to what's going on

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jacobus Spades posted:

Establishing a pattern of behavior is key to this case. I'm extremely pleased this is all coming up now, because without showing that Trump just... does this like water flows through a colander is absolutely essential to proving how this could happen without him having a specific conspiracy to do so.

I'm still curious if this trial will actually convince anyone who's pro-Trump to now have a bad opinion about him (voters or politicians). I'm guessing not, but if it does have enough of an impact to convince people who did vote R to have a bad opinion of the R party in general, that would be nice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think trying to warn Republicans that violence will continue isn't a great argument when they're in favor of it as long as it doesn't target them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Random Stranger posted:

I think trying to warn Republicans that violence will continue isn't a great argument when they're in favor of it as long as it doesn't target them.

Yeah, that's just going to make them double-down harder.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Democrats have certainly made future Historians lives far easier with this - this trial will be required watching for anyone wanting to understand the Trump era in a few decades.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What needs to happen to call January 6th "Insurrection Day" in textbooks about it? I love that.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Thom12255 posted:

Democrats have certainly made future Historians lives far easier with this - this trial will be required watching for anyone wanting to understand the Trump era in a few decades.

Yeah, if nothing else this is important documentation and denouement of a major turning point (for better or for worse) in American history. On the Congressional record.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

What needs to happen to call January 6th "Insurrection Day" in textbooks about it? I love that.

The Sedition on the Sixth?

Personally I refer to it as the Confederacy of Dunces

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think it'll just be called 'The January 6th Insurrection" or "The Capitol Insurrection" (hopefully never a disambiguation entry on Wikipedia).

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Insurrection Day is a little too vague, there have been several insurrections in our history. Should be something like The Insurrection of 2021. Wikipedia seems to have settled on The Storming of the Capitol but I feel like that gives undue glory to the mob.

Informally it should be known as the Little Douche Coup but I don't know how well future people will get a reference to an early Beach Boys song.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah, if nothing else this is important documentation and denouement of a major turning point (for better or for worse) in American history. On the Congressional record.

The twists and convolutions in the history books of the "Patriotic States of America the Great" as they explain away all that evidence are going to be interesting.

Aww, who am I kidding? 95% of the population won't be allowed to learn to read.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we just call It the January 6th barons rebellion

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thom12255 posted:

I think it'll just be called 'The January 6th Insurrection" or "The Capitol Insurrection" (hopefully never a disambiguation entry on Wikipedia).

It should be called "The Trump Insurrection".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Quoting a bunch of Republican governors is a good idea. You are never going to get a conviction, but maybe you can drive the wedge that might divide the GOP... Probably not, but better shot than conviction probably.