Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Forget, forget, to the sixth of January
What's-his-name tried something and failed

[Phone keyboard threw in a stray word :/]

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

alpha_destroy posted:

Quoting a bunch of Republican governors is a good idea. You are never going to get a conviction, but maybe you can drive the wedge that might divide the GOP... Probably not, but better shot than conviction probably.

Yeah, and I thought it was a solid point to quote folks from the administration who resigned in the aftermath. It’s pretty clear why they included Elaine Chao’s statement.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DaveWoo posted:

It should be called "The Trump Insurrection".

Too many people would slip up and say The Trump Erection.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Can we at least call it "House Prosecutors Day"?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Uglycat posted:

Forget, forget, to the sixth of ice January
What's-his-name tried something and failed

Very scary the sixth of January
MAGAS, sedition, and shots.
I know of no reason
The January Treason
Shall ever be forgot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of wish these people giving testimony would call out all the Republican senators who have already said that they would not vote for conviction. Something like "If you don't convict then you are enabling the insurrectionists and you are no better than the traitors who tried to kill your colleagues". Something that will really stick it to them and have them feel the weight, because right now I bet they aren't even paying attention.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Holy loving poo poo, this Cowboys 4 Trump guy.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
There's two categories of yrupm voters. Those that like that he "triggers the libs", and those that like that he accelerates us toward the end of the federal machine.

Accelerationist support for this fascist machine may GROW as a result of demonstrating that his behavior clearly posed an existential threat to the federal aparatus. And "trigger the libs" voters like images of AOC in tears.

If the angle we take, in telling this narrative, begins with statist reverence for the US GOV'T, your history books may appear dated and biased.

You don't have to revere the constitution (and the as-yet ongoing game of nomic that followed) to see that 45's behavior deliberately caused human suffering.

Everyone's arguing about what constitutes a "high crime" while Trump's demeanor has been plainly apparent the whole time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It’s really loving striking how much effort has gone into this trial. Compare with literally any other impeachment where the GOP has controlled the senate and it’s a complete endictment of their party.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Madkal posted:

I kind of wish these people giving testimony would call out all the Republican senators who have already said that they would not vote for conviction. Something like "If you don't convict then you are enabling the insurrectionists and you are no better than the traitors who tried to kill your colleagues". Something that will really stick it to them and have them feel the weight, because right now I bet they aren't even paying attention.
That's basically what they are doing right now.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

It’s really loving striking how much effort has gone into this trial. Compare with literally any other impeachment where the GOP has controlled the senate and it’s a complete endictment of their party.

It's also rare for so much of the evidence to come from the public sphere. There's very little new here, but organizing it into a narrative shows just how connected all this is rather than it just being a pile of isolated incidents.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1359931580903550979/photo/1

lol extremely cool poo poo, not even pretending to care

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Demiurge4 posted:

i will its also better than the Ukraine one as well, though schiff and co tried their best.

eke out posted:

course not. they are trying to figure out their marching orders from their king and seeing which defense they go with.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

eke out posted:

If anyone ever asks the difference between listening and waiting to talk, just show them that.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Why even be there? They know they have enough Rs to vote not to convict. Only thing this is going to do is name and shame those that voted to protect Trump and there’s 70million voters that want to hear that.

In a few years people will forget.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

course not. they are trying to figure out their marching orders from their king and seeing which defense they go with.

Don't need to care when the real dealing is in the phone calls they get at night telling them how to vote or else.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Very scary the sixth of January
MAGAS, sedition, and shots.
I know of no reason
The January Treason
Shall ever be forgot.

The Republican Senator version

Jan 6 Memory Holed and Forgot
I Know of No Event
And Definitely No Plot
Trump is President
And Joe Biden is Not

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
LOL of course that fucker is out golfing while the trial is going on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Don't need to care when the real dealing is in the phone calls they get at night telling them how to vote or else.

that too. that being said. i am weirdly surprised how amazing the house is doing with this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

2000 years ago, the Roman republic underwent a series of crisis that led to their downfall and establishing an empire. The people involved and their words are studied to this day as one of the key moments in history.

No matter what happens in this impeachment trial, people will not forget.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

Why even be there? They know they have enough Rs to vote not to convict. Only thing this is going to do is name and shame those that voted to protect Trump and there’s 70million voters that want to hear that.

ehh, if people forgot poo poo. biden would be doing the same things clinton and obama did and we wouldnt be doing this impeachment. poo poo changes all the time, the issue is its only when its "sudden" that people notice.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh, if people forgot poo poo. biden would be doing the same things clinton and obama did and we wouldnt be doing this impeachment. poo poo changes all the time, the issue is its only when its "sudden" that people notice.

No one's forgetting this for sure, the real question is what the consequences will be. The odds of the appropriate consequences for Trump might be low, but this is a pivotal moment for US politics no matter which way things go.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

2000 years ago, the Roman republic underwent a series of crisis that led to their downfall and establishing an empire. The people involved and their words are studied to this day as one of the key moments in history.

No matter what happens in this impeachment trial, people will not forget.

We're no Rome and we're not making it to a thousand years--we're probably not making it to 300 years. The Columbian Exchange will be remembered in a thousand years, but not the United States.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Orthanc6 posted:

No one's forgetting this for sure, the real question is what the consequences will be. The odds of the appropriate consequences for Trump might be low, but this is a pivotal moment for US politics no matter which way things go.

i think alot of it is hurting the GOP. sure the GOP itself and their base have no shame so lol but alot of the fence sitter types and the moderates will probably be less likely to vote for them. i know enough moderates republican who will vote dem or vote 3rd party over the GOP now a days. enough of the majority and the suburbs have left the GOP and most folks under 40 hate the GOP/conservatism general as well.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 11, 2021

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Talking about the security impacts is interesting, but I could see defense using it to advantage. "He told you the country was broken!"

I'm getting worried about them wrapping up in their final five hours. They have to tie this back to Trump incitement. (And personally I think it needs to be different than the repeat phone images we've been seeing from the violence.)

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

rome didn't fall until 1453, don't @ me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

We're no Rome and we're not making it to a thousand years--we're probably not making it to 300 years. The Columbian Exchange will be remembered in a thousand years, but not the United States.

The United States hosed up a ton of historical poo poo. It'll be remembered, but not in a good light.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rome is still there :thunk:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pick posted:

Rome is still there :thunk:

But now it's got a big Vatican in the middle of it which imo really brings the whole place down

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Donald Trump is our Julius Ceaser.

2000 years from now he will be known for his famous Jan 06 coup that even though it failed set the stage for the glory that would be come the Patriotic Empire of North America under his son Donald Trump Jr. the First, Emperor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

The United States hosed up a ton of historical poo poo. It'll be remembered, but not in a good light.

Depends on how the next thousand years go and the ultimate significance assigned to global warming by people in the generations (I'm being optimistic here) after the immediate aftermath of it, imo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Talking about the security impacts is interesting, but I could see defense using it to advantage. "He told you the country was broken!"

I'm getting worried about them wrapping up in their final five hours. They have to tie this back to Trump incitement. (And personally I think it needs to be different than the repeat phone images we've been seeing from the violence.)

yeah. i think todays thing has been weaker. i get what they are trying to do and if they tie it together, its good. i think we should have witnesses.

Aruan posted:

theoretically you can say 1918.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Murgos posted:

Donald Trump is our Julius Ceaser.

Caesar was a decisive military hero and strongman. I don't see the similarity tbh

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Aruan posted:

*shoves glasses up nose* He was specific in referring to the fall of the Republic to become a dictatorial empire. Which is apt because unless civil or nuclear war ends the US overnight, the most likely course for it's fall is a descent into dictatorship followed by a long period of it being the indisputable bad guy, even by today's standards.

That said no one is forgetting the US unless there's no one left to remember. The US invented the airplane, nukes, was first to put a man on a different celestial body and is the most powerful nation in history during the most dynamic 100 years in human history. How the US will be remembered we can't know, but it very much is a line in the sand of history just as much as Rome was.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Caesar was a decisive military hero and strongman. I don't see the similarity tbh

2000 years of whitewash can do that for you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

theoretically you can say 1918.

Didn't they literally call themselves "The Empire of Rome" until 1453? Byzantium just being a convenience to tell it apart from the eastern empire?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

That seems like a weird thing to claim when we can look 1000 years back into history and remember tons of nation-states, most of which didn't wield anything close to the influence of the United States. I think we're gonna be in the history books for a long, long time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Murgos posted:

2000 years of whitewash can do that for you.

Didn't they literally call themselves "The Empire of Rome" until 1453? Byzantium just being a convenience to tell it apart from the eastern empire?

i mean yeah Byzantium but do you count HRE as a continuation too?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Well there's a quote that will be taken out of context. (Paraphrased) "They will say that under the first amendment, ..., ..., what Trump did was allowed".

They're moving onto details about why the first amendment argument is a frivolous claim.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How are u posted:

That seems like a weird thing to claim when we can look 1000 years back into history and remember tons of nation-states, most of which didn't wield anything close to the influence of the United States. I think we're gonna be in the history books for a long, long time.

The Treaty of Westphalia was 1648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

*shoves glasses up nose* He was specific in referring to the fall of the Republic to become a dictatorial empire. Which is apt because unless civil or nuclear war ends the US overnight, the most likely course for it's fall is a descent into dictatorship followed by a long period of it being the indisputable bad guy, even by today's standards.

That said no one is forgetting the US unless there's no one left to remember. The US invented the airplane, nukes, was first to put a man on a different celestial body and is the most powerful nation in history during the most dynamic 100 years in human history. How the US will be remembered we can't know, but it very much is a line in the sand of history just as much as Rome was.

I have a feeling that the next 100 years are going to massively eclipse the 20th century in terms of dynamism, but not in the sense of accomplishment or progress. That century may be the 22nd, but it's definitely coming soon.