Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

Oh California. The county I live in (where schools are online only right now) is vaccinating teachers, but Orange County (where a bunch of my friends teach) is doing in-person/hybrid poo poo, and not vaccinating teachers. ???

Yes, we all know Orange County is awful and full of CHUDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yes, we all know Orange County is awful and full of CHUDS.

:mad:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Yeah, I live here too, and yeah, it still is, sadly. Getting better, but still full of assholes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I didn't say 100% CHUDS. Just full of them.

Edit*

What is good about OC? Huntington Beach sucks compared to Long Beach. Disneyland is a blight, Irvine is also bleh.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 11, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Edit*

What is good about OC? Huntington Beach sucks compared to Long Beach. Disneyland is a blight, Irvine is also bleh.

A high concentration of the industry that I'm in, primarily. Also decent weather and a large number of different Asian markets and restaurants that make getting less traditional ingredients much easier.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The OCGOP’s at times uneasy but mostly functional alliance of chuddy lifted-truck white people and an increasingly diverse group of FYGM NIMBY suburbanites is probably the long term future of the Republican Party on the west coast.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Westminster has good vietnamese food

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Westminster has good Vietnamese food

Monrovia also has excellent Vietnamese food. One of the best-fried tofu sandwiches I have ever had. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 11, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Edit*

*visits the whitest, most suburban areas of a county*

Hm, why does this place suck??

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Edit*

oh dang i seriously 100% no bullshit meant to edit my post to change:mad: into :hmmyes: but I got distracted

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

orange county's an ok place to live

I'm proud to have Katie Porter as my us representative.

Anyways I think our health department moves a bit slower than most but I wouldn't be surprised if teachers are next on the eligibility list once they work through the back log of elderly people. I would agree that teachers should be higher priority on the list but I'm not the health department.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah thing is, as we found, there's an absolutely loving massive group of people we need for "essential" poo poo (from Frontline medical, to postal/delivery workers, to supermarket workers). That all needs to get squared away before teachers get theirs, because you then need the kids to get their vaccine before it's of any use.

I would agree that if you are stuck in CHUDifornia and are being forced to teach in-person that you should get a fast pass, though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

*looks out window of the Inland Empire at people bashing Orange County*

HA HA HA! YES!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Why the hell is it called the "Inland Empire" anyway? Is there some Inland Emperor that now only rules ceremonially or something?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

adoration for none posted:

Why the hell is it called the "Inland Empire" anyway? Is there some Inland Emperor that now only rules ceremonially or something?
There are those who remember and are still loyal to the House of Norton.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FMguru posted:

There are those who remember and are still loyal to the House of Norton.

beat me to it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

adoration for none posted:

It goes back to the time when it was the Orange growing capital of the country.

quote:

The term "Inland Empire" is documented to have been used by the Riverside Enterprise newspaper (now The Press-Enterprise) as early as April 1914.[5] Developers in the area likely introduced the term to promote the region and to highlight the area's unique features. The "Inland" part of the name is derived from the region's location, generally about 60 miles (97 km) inland from Los Angeles and the Pacific Ocean. Originally, this area was called the Orange Empire due to the acres of citrus groves that once extended from Pasadena to Redlands during the first half of the twentieth century.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah thing is, as we found, there's an absolutely loving massive group of people we need for "essential" poo poo (from Frontline medical, to postal/delivery workers, to supermarket workers). That all needs to get squared away before teachers get theirs, because you then need the kids to get their vaccine before it's of any use.

I would agree that if you are stuck in CHUDifornia and are being forced to teach in-person that you should get a fast pass, though.

It should be clear by now that California is absolutely not going to wait until kids are vaccinated before sending them all back to in-person instruction. Hell, a lot of places are back to in-person already and others cities are suing school districts to force them back to in-person despite no one being vaccinated yet. Sticking an unvaccinated teacher in a 12'x12' room all day with 35 kids is basically guaranteeing that they eventually get COVID and then spread it to their hundreds of students, so yes, teachers do need the vaccine ASAP.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 11, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

It should be clear by now that California is absolutely not going to wait until kids are vaccinated before sending them all back to in-person instruction. Hell, a lot of places are back to in-person already and others cities are suing school districts to force them back to in-person despite no one being vaccinated yet. Sticking an unvaccinated teacher in a 12'x12' room all day with 35 kids is basically guaranteeing that they eventually get COVID and then spread it to their hundreds of students, so yes, teachers do need the vaccine ASAP.

actually schools don't spread covid. it's well known that diseases are never transmitted between people in school buildings.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

Spreadwise, a vaccinated teacher and 35 unvaccinated kids isn't really any better. Schools just shouldn't be in-person open and retail workers at places that do have to be open should be in front of teachers. School open/closed decisions and vaccine distribution decisions are being made by different people. If you can only make the vaccine decision, not prioritizing teachers seems correct since any COVID infections will go through the entire class of kids and everyone they interact with regardless, but vaccinating a grocery store worker cuts off more contacts.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

Spreadwise, a vaccinated teacher and 35 unvaccinated kids isn't really any better. Schools just shouldn't be in-person open and retail workers at places that do have to be open should be in front of teachers. School open/closed decisions and vaccine distribution decisions are being made by different people. If you can only make the vaccine decision, not prioritizing teachers seems correct since any COVID infections will go through the entire class of kids and everyone they interact with regardless, but vaccinating a grocery store worker cuts off more contacts.

I mean obviously schools shouldn't reopen until everyone is vaccinated, including the students, but the powers that be need in-person classes to resume so their workers are free to return to the workplace and they've made it perfectly clear that they're going to make that happen regardless of whether it's safe or not. So the two options on the table are send everyone back unvaccinated, or vaccinate at least the teachers.

If you send the teachers back unvaccinated, we're going to get decimated. You know how the vast majority of COVID transmission happens from friends/family spending hours together indoors in close proximity? That's exactly the circumstances in-person school will be like. There isn't space to social distance the kids (who stop complying with the rules anyway as soon as an adult isn't looking), they suck at keeping their masks on, and they were huge vectors of transmission even before this. There is a reason nearly everyone in school catches the flu every single year.

edit: I feel like anyone arguing against vaccinating teachers has not spent time around children. They're little nurglings, spreading pestilence to anything they touch (which is everything).

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 12, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Powers-that-be isn't a single group

If you're the county health board doing vaccine distribution, you don't prioritize teachers since every daily contact a teacher will have will also have a contact with an unvaccinated kid. Vaccinating the teacher would stop them from getting sick, but won't stop many transmissions since there's a wave of unvaccinated kids around them that will contact everyone they contact during the day already. Kids will still infect each other and then infect their parents. Vaccinating retail workers on the other hand does cut transmissions since they interact with non-overlapping people (example: Infected asymptomatic customer A comes in on Monday, uninfected customer B comes in on Friday. Their only chain is via the grocery worker. If grocery worker is immune, you've cut that potential transmission).

Opening schools without vaccinating teachers is pretty much condemning them to be infected at some point and amoral, but if you set vaccine distribution policy & not school policy, it doesn't change how you distribute to minimize transmission

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

All I'm sayin is, it's dumb as hell that I can get vaccinated right now when I'm not urgently in need, when my teaching siblings who ARE interacting with other people on a day-to-day basis cannot. I'm down for vaccinating grocery workers. Also, paying them more.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Everyone saying schools should be completely closed and 100% online have clearly not witnessed first-hand the declining mental health of their teenagers not being able to see anyone for almost a full calendar year now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yes, we know.

We also think the declining mental health of having THEIR FRIENDS, GRANDPARENTS AND SCHOOL STAFF DIE from COVID is probably cause enough to make that choice.

Also the diminishing supply of teachers and staff as an ever-rotating pool of Subs and staff catch the loving bug.

We're going to have 2 Senior classes miss senior activities. One senior class probably won't set foot on campus until they pick up a cap and gown for whatever distance ceremony will pop up. Better that than being on a ventilator.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Everyone saying schools should be completely closed and 100% online have clearly not witnessed first-hand the declining mental health of their teenagers not being able to see anyone for almost a full calendar year now.

pfft when I was a teenager I lost whole years to world of warcraft never seeing anyone for months on end and let me tell you my mental health was...well...ah gently caress

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shear Modulus posted:

actually schools don't spread covid. it's well known that diseases are never transmitted between people in school buildings.

Class Warcraft posted:

edit: I feel like anyone arguing against vaccinating teachers has not spent time around children. They're little nurglings, spreading pestilence to anything they touch (which is everything).

It owns that the official CDC and government position is that children don't spread, or catch covid. We're very lucky that the 30kb of covid genome programming includes exceptions for school buildings, eating, being further than 6ft away, and respecting that you left your mask inside car. Really quite amazing for a tiny bit of angry proteins with no senses.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

pfft when I was a teenager I lost whole years to world of warcraft never seeing anyone for months on end and let me tell you my mental health was...well...ah gently caress

Funny thing is I tried getting my 15yo into WoW last year since he has social anxiety and basically no friends. Thought it would be a good way for him to do what he likes (video games) but in a social setting (teaming/guilding up to do quests, instances, etc).

He just played solo and got bored within a month. Back to Minecraft videos on YouTube

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Funny thing is I tried getting my 15yo into WoW last year since he has social anxiety and basically no friends. Thought it would be a good way for him to do what he likes (video games) but in a social setting (teaming/guilding up to do quests, instances, etc).

He just played solo and got bored within a month. Back to Minecraft videos on YouTube

Get him a Something Awful account. That's how I got over my social anxiety and lack of social circle in high school! I'm extremely normal.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Daily 9/11 in deaths, plus thousands more suffering short and long term health consequences is fine and does no cause any emotional distress for anyone.

Don't even loving pretend this is about teenager mental health, this is about getting kids out of homes because they're driving parents nuts, and so parents can get back to work.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The funniest thing about teenager mental health is that teenage suicide rates have absolutely plummeted since schools have been closed. No one is getting bullied anymore, but now that parents are working from home, they get to see a happier version of their teens more often and have convinced themselves that the teens are facing horrible depression when really it's just that they're finally spending time around their kids so the kid isn't hiding their feelings in the scant moments they get with their parents.

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1360088458316767234
Randy Economy has an announcement tomorrow about the Recall Newsom campaign.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

fermun posted:

The funniest thing about teenager mental health is that teenage suicide rates have absolutely plummeted since schools have been closed. No one is getting bullied anymore, but now that parents are working from home, they get to see a happier version of their teens more often and have convinced themselves that the teens are facing horrible depression when really it's just that they're finally spending time around their kids so the kid isn't hiding their feelings in the scant moments they get with their parents.

Also tons of parents are now seeing how much their kids struggle with their schoolwork because they can finally see it firsthand. As a result the number of SPED/IEP/other accommodations has skyrocketed because it turns out, oops, little Billy really does need extra help, his teachers weren't just making it up.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Get him a Something Awful account. That's how I got over my social anxiety and lack of social circle in high school! I'm extremely normal.
Why would a goon parent inflict this upon their children? Also they don't want their kids calling out their bad posting. :v:

Henrik: Deep Rock Galactic. He -could- play solo. He can also start solo and people can join. And then he can join other peoples games. Also 99% of the players aren't assholes, which is amazing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You vaccinate the teachers so that they can keep showing up to work and not get sick (and die). Not to stop or slow community transmission. If schools being open is mandatory, you vaccinate the teachers so that someone will still be left to teach those students in two months. That's it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ADEM results are coming out. The progressive slate appears to have gone 12/14 in my rich people district. We are winning.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

fermun posted:

Every time I hear the name "Randy Economy" I loving lol and lol. It's too much.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Kenning posted:

Every time I hear the name "Randy Economy" I loving lol and lol. It's too much.

I imagine him as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

fermun posted:

Got a source for that? Cause everything I find says the opposite.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Got a source for that? Cause everything I find says the opposite.

yes
https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1352761144113471488
https://twitter.com/WBUR/status/1352450916125974528

this one sounds scary:
https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1353523348467191808
but if you read the article:

quote:

The actual number of [youth emergency room visits that were for mental health reasons] fell"

"Heading into the pandemic, youth suicide rates had been on the rise for a decade"

fermun fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hell is other people I guess