Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid newbie looking to buy some ski gear here. Any y’all have any recommendations? I was going to get some rental gear, but I’ve got stupid big feet and my experience with rentals in my size is usually just “lol”. Friends also do this every year do I don’t mind jumping in with my own stuff.

Think I’ve got the helmet and goggles covered, and I’m trying to save a few bucks and get last year’s gear. Just trying to get a list together of everything I even need. Any newbie advice would be appreciated!

Downhill, backcountry, or cross country?

I've had good luck getting stuff at 2nd hand sports stores like PlayItAgainSports. I always figured I'm not an Olympian so cutting edge stuff from the 90s will work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid newbie looking to buy some ski gear here. Any y’all have any recommendations? I was going to get some rental gear, but I’ve got stupid big feet and my experience with rentals in my size is usually just “lol”. Friends also do this every year do I don’t mind jumping in with my own stuff.

Think I’ve got the helmet and goggles covered, and I’m trying to save a few bucks and get last year’s gear. Just trying to get a list together of everything I even need. Any newbie advice would be appreciated!

There is a whole thread for ski/snowboard stuff.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872430

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OSU_Matthew posted:

Make boots your #1 priority. Go some place that has a proper boot fitter and get a pair that has heat molded inners at least, and a heat molded shell if the fitter recommends it. If you're on a budget spend it all on boots, everything else is way secondary. You can probably count on a decade at least of regular use from a decent pair of boots, and if you're just riding once or twice a season they'll probably last you the rest of your life.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Stringent posted:

Make boots your #1 priority. Go some place that has a proper boot fitter and get a pair that has heat molded inners at least, and a heat molded shell if the fitter recommends it. If you're on a budget spend it all on boots, everything else is way secondary. You can probably count on a decade at least of regular use from a decent pair of boots, and if you're just riding once or twice a season they'll probably last you the rest of your life.

Thanks! Boots will be number one priority then. Are bindings fairly universal, eg if I buy one set of boots would they reasonably be expected to clip into most rental place’s skis?

Oh cool! I will poke into that, thanks for the link!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's funny because this is me right now as well.

Learned how to ski in my early teens. Quickly switched to snowboarding because skiing is boring in the Midwest. Stopped snowboarding before college and picked it up again after. Been doing that for 15 years and now that I live out west and into hiking etc, skiing seems like the better choice so I'm transitioning. I play hockey so the mechanics of ice skates are kind of similar with the edge work and it came back pretty well. I just need more practice.

My goal is to get good enough and get educated to start touring.

gently caress skis are expensive though. Especially once you want to leave the lifts.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks! Boots will be number one priority then. Are bindings fairly universal, eg if I buy one set of boots would they reasonably be expected to clip into most rental place’s skis?

Yes, the bindings on rentals will be adjustable and fit all the normal boot sizes. The exception would be wide skis for powder skiing which aren't adjustable, but you'd have to go out of your way to rent those.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Verman posted:

gently caress skis are expensive though.

Have you considered getting regular skis rather than the ones with a fleshlight built in?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Classic XC skis are way way way cheaper than downhill skis, and a lot more useful (at least in my area) during COVID.

I purchased my entire XC kit (boots, bindings, skis, poles, grip wax kit) for less than the snowboard boots I purchased that season. And snowboard boots are a bargain next to ski boots...

I know they are very different sports and there's a reason the equipment is more expensive but I decided to share anyway :downs:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Two shoe-related questions:

First, my much-abused Vasque boots have burst a seam (photo attached). They're about 5 years old and while I've used them quite a bit, it's probably due to neglect as much as anything... I don't clean them particularly often, usually just knock the dried mud off. Is there anything I can do about this, or should I just go buy a new pair of boots?

Second, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a walking-oriented (not necessarily hiking) boot that's comfortable and looks decent enough that I could wear it out to dinner without attracting too many sideways glances. I've got a cheap pair of Chelsea boots that look good but aren't particularly durable. I'd like to find something that could stand up to a full day of walking around the city without looking like I've just stumbled off the PCT.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Second, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a walking-oriented (not necessarily hiking) boot that's comfortable and looks decent enough that I could wear it out to dinner without attracting too many sideways glances. I've got a cheap pair of Chelsea boots that look good but aren't particularly durable. I'd like to find something that could stand up to a full day of walking around the city without looking like I've just stumbled off the PCT.

Same, but for wide feet, especially in the toe box.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

First, my much-abused Vasque boots have burst a seam (photo attached). They're about 5 years old and while I've used them quite a bit, it's probably due to neglect as much as anything... I don't clean them particularly often, usually just knock the dried mud off. Is there anything I can do about this, or should I just go buy a new pair of boots?

An expensive pair of chelsea boots - https://www.blundstone.com/mens-classic-550-boots

I've found them in the $130-$140 range on Amazon, but it varies.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Personally I always like Timberland earthkeepers but they're not waterproof or anything. They're really comfortable right out of the box. I would also suggest the Danner mountain 600s as they look more normal than most hiking boots. Honestly it all comes down to where you live. In Seattle, or boulder or any other town with mountains nearby, hiking clothing is pretty normal anywhere you go.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

An expensive pair of chelsea boots - https://www.blundstone.com/mens-classic-550-boots

I've found them in the $130-$140 range on Amazon, but it varies.

These look perfect, and it seems that REI carries them, so I'll see if I can get down and try on a pair at some point. I was rather hoping to find something without laces, too. Thank you.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^Timberlands are nice, I regert giving my old pair away to a buddy

For city errands, I really like my carolina boots, they’re really well built, made in the US, and I like the moc toe look. They’re super comfortable and pretty much my daily go-to outside of sneakers.

Redwing boots are also great, I really love my Iron Rangers, though that required a legit boot break in.

E: just noticed the without laces requirement, lol. Carolina boots are still nice and pretty affordable for good quality leather and made in the US, and they have a variety of styles to boot

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I’ve gotten a pair of vasques resoled from a boot repair company you mail them in to. I can’t find the email but it was based in Colorado iirc.

Nothing beats a broken in pair of boots that fit, so if you can repair then go for it

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just wandered into my local REI to return some bike fenders and discovered they have started putting any garage sale type of items on the sales floor with the rest of things. Conveniently enough, I found the fenders I was going to get instead of what I was returning in a Garage Sale bin (as well as a nice pair of polarized Chromapop Smith glasses, a Sawyer water filtration kit and some bike lights).

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

highme posted:

Just wandered into my local REI to return some bike fenders and discovered they have started putting any garage sale type of items on the sales floor with the rest of things. Conveniently enough, I found the fenders I was going to get instead of what I was returning in a Garage Sale bin (as well as a nice pair of polarized Chromapop Smith glasses, a Sawyer water filtration kit and some bike lights).

Sounds like one hell of an awesome haul you got! Beats standing in line for hours and having to fight off the other gear fiends for the good stuff.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

highme posted:

What kind of Sawyer did you get? I'm thinking about getting a water filtration kit and I've heard good things about them.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The regular sawyer is best. You can get a kit with backflush syringe, adapters, some dirty water pouches pretty cheap. My filter is 4+ years old. Some vinegar soaking was required to keep it working like new. It gets clogged if the water is physically dirty but that happens with all filters. It is relatively easy to unclog.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I really really really like my Platypus Gravity Works. It's practically like having plumbing at your camp site.
The two bag system in general is really good for keeping your filter running well, since back flushing is as simple as lifting the clean bag up for a few seconds at the end of each job.

It's more of an "at rest" solution than something you're going to use on the move, and probably a bit bulky for a solo backpacker.. but is it ever a QOL upgrade when you're with a group. This guy has pumped drinking water for 6 for the last time!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, I use sawyer squeeze for solo/ultralight backpacking; platypus gravity (4L) for camping. Even then, the platypus is nice to take along on backpacking trips cuz you can legit shower at the end of a long day of hiking.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ugh I really need to ditch my old pump filter

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I just need a filter for myself so the sawyer's probably what I'll get, but the gravityworks is definitely on the wish list in case I want to camp with more people at a place with a ready (but unsafe) water source.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I have a Sawyer for places where water is abundant and a MSR Trailshot for places where I might have to filter from very shallow water sources like in southern Arizona.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

I have a Sawyer for places where water is abundant and a MSR Trailshot for places where I might have to filter from very shallow water sources like in southern Arizona.

the default sawyer bags are absolutely awful to fill in anything but an ideal water source, its true. i tried using a cut-up water bottle to scoop for a while, now i have a 2L cnoc bladder which is nice because the whole top opens for filling

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Cnoc is great, it’s a snap to fill, rolls flat and super indestructible. I got an in-line coupler for my bladder so I can turn the whole setup into a gravity feed when I get to camp as well.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I put off buying one and now it they're always out of stock when I look.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'll always champion gravity filter for life.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

So I've been invited to go on a portaging trip for a few days and I'm pretty pumped... But I need to buy basically everything I need.

From what I can see, it looks like I'm going to have to put some decent coin into this.

Cost saving measures anyone?

I have some stuff, but it's by no means lightweight. It's typical camping stuff.

This is by no means a super intense group of guys, but they've done it for a few years. I'm trying not to break the bank, especially because I have no idea if this'll be a reoccurring thing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

surivdaoreht posted:

So I've been invited to go on a portaging trip for a few days and I'm pretty pumped... But I need to buy basically everything I need.

From what I can see, it looks like I'm going to have to put some decent coin into this.

I have some stuff, but it's by no means lightweight. It's typical camping stuff.

This is by no means a super intense group of guys, but they've done it for a few years. I'm trying not to break the bank, especially because I have no idea if this'll be a reoccurring thing.

what gear do you think you might need that you don't have already? two immediate tips: 1) ask your buddies if they have extra gear they can loan you, lord know i do and i imagine a lot of thread regulars do as well. 2) look for rentals at nearby outdoors stores OR college campuses, the latter often has rentals that aren't limited to students

if you want to really pinch every penny you can get by with very little, and most of it can be found anywhere, but you might not be very comfortable

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

surivdaoreht posted:

Portaging as in canoeing? Are you going to be paddling down and having to haul boats and gear on foot?

What’s your budget? What do you need for camping? Everything depends on what you’ll be doing and how often you think you’ll be doing it.

You can get stuff lightweight, cheap, or durable, but you can only pick two.

If this is a single trip and you’ll be paddling so you don’t have to worry about weight or bulk, sure, go to Walmart and get your sleeping bag, tent, and a blue foam pad for 100$ out the door. You might have a leaky tent, the pad won’t be very comfy but it’ll do the job of keeping the ground from sucking out all your body heat, though its effectiveness will be limited by the sleeping bag that will probably be very bulky but wake you up at 3 am freezing your butt off until sunrise. I know this because this is exactly what I did my first few times out many years ago. I’ve lived through the misery of a leaky tent and inadequate insulation many a trip. My first backpacking trip I wore jeans and had a lovely Alice pack from the thrift store that was pure agony. But it was cheap and I got outside and started learning a lot of things. I also spent a lot of good money chasing bad and rebuying everything almost immediately.

If you’re going to be doing this a few times or have to carry your gear or want to spend a bit more to be comfortable and have reliable gear, I’d go to REI and spend 300$ on their backpacking bundle. You’ll get a solid tent, pad, and bag that’ll do you well and last for many trips, until you get to the point of deciding you want to change individual things and splurge on stuff like lighter gear.

Also check with your friends, if they’ve been doing this awhile chances are they might have some spare gear to hook you up at first.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

surivdaoreht posted:

REI has a used section now rei.com/used should be able to find some decent stuff there.
Also check out r/geartrade on reddit, I've gotten some great deals there as well.
If you have Facebook their marketplace is good I've heard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I personally get most of my stuff from Decathalon. They don’t have much of a physical store presence in the US but they do have an online shop. It’s basically the IKEA of camping gear. Pretty much everything there is their house brand.

It’s significantly cheaper than most everything else out there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nitrousoxide posted:

I personally get most of my stuff from Decathalon. They don’t have much of a physical store presence in the US but they do have an online shop. It’s basically the IKEA of camping gear. Pretty much everything there is their house brand.

Oohh, I like this site! Gracias for the link!

That made me think, another discount retailer with store brands I really like is Academy

Their Magellan line of hiking clothes is great for backpacking and hiking, and you can save a ton of money over boutique brands for the same thing

Eg:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors%E2%84%A2-mens-heritage-5-pocket-flex-pant#repChildCatid=3434543

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

surivdaoreht posted:

Niiice.

First: congrats. Canoe camping is in my opinion the coolest camping. I'm super jealous that you are going to get to experience it for the first time.

Second: if you are able to provide a little more background on the nature of the trip, that would be helpful.

• Are you covering ground, tearing up camp each day and portaging your gear?
  • Are you paddling to a campsite and hanging out there?
  • Something in between?

If you're not moving too much, car camping gear is perfectly fine on a canoe trip.. same if you're doing some relatively short portages where you're okay double carrying (hiking it twice). You want to pack more like a backpacker if you've got miles to cover on foot.

Third: How much "group kit" do your friends have? If you're a hanger on with an established group you might not need much beyond a bag, clothes and sleeping pad/bag.

Big thing I would recommend is dry sacks for your clothes and sleeping bag. Don't want to end up dumping, or dropping your bag while loading and being wet the rest of the trip.
Oh, and a PFD that you will be comfortable actually wearing. Saving a few bucks doesn't help you if you aren't wearing it because it chafes your arms while you paddle.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Never heard of them before this post, but I did some research and pulled the trigger on a Forklaz 100 puffy for general use. Seems like it would be a solid option for general hiking/summer backpacking use. Thanks for the tip!

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

The regular sawyer is best. You can get a kit with backflush syringe, adapters, some dirty water pouches pretty cheap. My filter is 4+ years old. Some vinegar soaking was required to keep it working like new. It gets clogged if the water is physically dirty but that happens with all filters. It is relatively easy to unclog.

So I have the Sawyer mini, and it has worked well for me in the past for short multi-day hikes. However, it's been a tough couple of years to get outdoors due to various reasons. I'm finally able to get outdoors again, and now I'm wondering...does the filter have a shelf life? It's been sitting in a drawer for two years now, and I'm tempted to buy another one to avoid a risk.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
There should be manufacturer care guides /efficacy checks you can perform.

Platypus for example recommends that ahead of extended storage, you filter a liter of water with 1 drop of bleach through the filter, and open the housing to allow it to dry for a good two weeks.

Their efficacy test involves trying to blow air through the filter (with water on the other end where you would be able to see air bubbles).

If the filter opens up so you can see the material directly, I'd check it for mildew and complete these steps.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

As long as you cleaned it and let it dry before putting it into storage it should be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is probably the wrong time of year to be researching new gloves, but as my current ones are pretty worn out and really bugging me right now it's kind of a Topic in my brain.

So I need an upgrade from these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V57ENU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were great when new. Warm enough for me even into negative Fahrenheit and the little leather pads are great for squeegeeing off my glasses when my breath fogs them up. The fingerless part is great for fiddling with equipment when needed and the mitten part is great for keeping my fingers warm at other times. However as the price suggests (and it's gone up, I originally paid $25), they're not very durable. After a single season of use the thumb leather fell off and hem of the mitten flap stretched out to the point that it functions more as a snow shovel than a mitten.

Anyone know of a brand with a comparable design that's will stand up better to daily use and I'll get several years out of? I really hate throwing out gear every year, it feels really wasteful.