Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

It was either '99 or 2000 when he returned to the WWF as an entrant in that year's Rumble, which was like a week after he was on a WCW PPV

WCW putting a belt on a guy with no contract is still so :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just remember late WCW Meng having giant hair and beating down entire squads of security guards with the Tongan Death Grip. It ruled.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

I just remember late WCW Meng having giant hair and beating down entire squads of security guards with the Tongan Death Grip. It ruled.

Late WCW Meng was active in the hardcore division, but was also fed to Goldberg, so they actually put some effort into him at a few points.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

TheKingslayer posted:

fabulous pants, too. golden, flared, majestic

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Help, I can’t find a good picture of Meng’s pants.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Help, I can’t find a good picture of Meng’s pants.

i got close

but no cigar :negative:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you for your service.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jeff Jarrett is finally on the show be belongs on and will stop making GBS threads up the actually decent episodes of Raw.

I'll never stop thinking it's funny that Russo thought Jarrett was a top guy.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Just to clarify, it was the 2001 Rumble where Meng returned to the WWF, notable for JR bellowing "Wait, what!? Haku! It's Haku!!!" as the crowd sat quietly and confused because nobody knew who he was. Shame on them!

Sadly I don't remember him doing much in that run. He tagged with Rikishi (nearing the end of his own awful main event heel run) for a bit, and they feuded with Undertaker and Kane as part of the exceptionally long six or so weeks between No Way Out and Wrestlemania where they had to pad everything out. Then he went back to Heat, showed up as part of the WWF mob in a few Invasion segments, more Heat, and er, ???

TheKingslayer posted:

Jeff Jarrett is finally on the show be belongs on and will stop making GBS threads up the actually decent episodes of Raw.

I'll never stop thinking it's funny that Russo thought Jarrett was a top guy.

I immediately think of the Nitro after he wins his first WCW world title (surprisingly a guitar was involved) and the opening segment is him and Russo ragging on JR for not believing that he could be a top guy. Not only is it ridiculous because, what, <5% of the audience knows that JR is involved with WWF's talent relations and not just a commentator, but also because they dropped a load of balloons from the ceiling and their awful promo is drowned out by people popping them for their own amusement.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thank you for your service.

Here are some good gold pants

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
RIP Norman Smiley, had to be cloned before he could lead the women's revolution.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

When he first showed up in WCW, off of his run as Haku, he wore a suit and sunglasses, and was basically invincible, right? I feel like they introduced him as part of the redneck stable, for some reason, but they kept him (ridiculously) strong for a feud with Sting, but then he became another guy until he left (while he was a titleholder!).

I think he was introduced as Col. Parker's bodyguard, then was unleashed as a wrestler. Meng was kept super strong in early 1995. Most of his wins were under a minute.

He was undefeated - or said to be undefeated - in building the feud with Sting, which ended with finals of the US title tournament at Great American Bash 1995.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There was a spot where someone pepper sprayed Meng during the Parker bodyguard run and he just no sold it, it was an excellent "dis guy ain't human" spot.

Then when I heard about what a real life badass he is, it kinda made it even better. I think there might even be a story about him doing it for real?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 11, 2021

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Sandman McMahon posted:

I was introduced to a lady at a wedding a few years ago because her husband was a wrestler in the 70’s. I forget the specifics (I was very drunk) but after he retired, her husband started a gym in Florida that a bunch of wrestlers would hang out at, and I guess they were all friends or whatever.
Anyway, she was very excited to talk about how she was friends with (among others) The Rocks Mom and had hung out with The Rock a bunch, I guess got to know him pretty well. So everybody around is all excited to hear this lady tell stories about the famous actor she knows, which admittedly is cool, but then she casually mentions this other wrestler that she is friends with, one she was pretty sure I’d never heard of, a guy who used to wrestle under the name Meng.

I was marking out bro.

So again, I reiterate that I was very drunk. My questions might not have been exactly coherent, my memories are certainly... foggy, but I’ll never forget the moment I had been waiting for, I asked the question:

“So I heard he bit a guys nose off one time?”

“Oh my god... how do you even know about that??” She seemed surprised, like it was some family secret nobody was supposed to know.

But nobody else wanted to hear about the time some wrestler bit a dudes nose off, so the conversation moved on and I had to leave to deal with my then-girlfriend, who was also very, very drunk. Good times.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

RIP Norman Smiley, had to be cloned before he could lead the women's revolution.

Jesus, this scared me. He's alive!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nick Jr. Face posted:

It was either '99 or 2000 when he returned to the WWF as an entrant in that year's Rumble, which was like a week after he was on a WCW PPV

it was 2001, he won the WCW hardcore title on the Sin PPV and left

its overshadowed by being the same show that Sid broke his ankle on

Red posted:

I'm pretty sure Haku/Meng showed up in .. 93 or 94, and stayed until he jumped to the WWF in '99. That's a long time doing almost nothing.

well he was used to build Goldberg up in 97/98 and then was Flair's henchman for a bit

then they basically used him to shore up the hardcore undercard for most of 98-00

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I can't get over commentary constantly trying to put over Sid as an evil genius. A diabolical mastermind...

Then Sid starts doing promos and all that gets shot to poo poo.

I'm also loving how swiftly Russo has started laying the groundwork to make himself an on screen character. So many people are mentioning The Powers that Be all over the place.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 11, 2021

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheKingslayer posted:

I can't get over commentary constantly trying to put over Sid as an evil genius. A diabolical mastermind...

Then Sid starts doing promos and all that gets shot to poo poo.

Hey Moses wheres my car

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm also loving how swiftly Russo has started laying the groundwork to make himself an on screen character. So many people are mentioning The Powers that Be all over the place.

I know at the time I was tuned-in enough to internet rumors that I knew Russo was going to be running the show, but if I hadn't known that, the Powers-To-Be business would have really came the gently caress outta nowhere. Actually, even knowing about Russo it was pretty outta nowhere.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How far into Russo's tenure do we get stuff like "Hey Sid LOST YOUR SCISSORS" and the crowd is just puzzled save for like maybe the three actually in attendance who know and don't care.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it was 2001, he won the WCW hardcore title on the Sin PPV and left

its overshadowed by being the same show that Sid broke his ankle on

well he was used to build Goldberg up in 97/98 and then was Flair's henchman for a bit

then they basically used him to shore up the hardcore undercard for most of 98-00

Wow, he was in WCW until the end of '00? Poor guy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

How far into Russo's tenure do we get stuff like "Hey Sid LOST YOUR SCISSORS" and the crowd is just puzzled save for like maybe the three actually in attendance who know and don't care.

It's not quite to that level but it seems like almost instantly in October when Russo came in the use of insider terms went up. Just about every time someone turns on someone else the word swerve is thrown around.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

Here are some good gold pants

Now those are some fuckin’ pants.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did you know as teenagers in the 70s, Meng and The Barbarian were sent to Japan by the King of Tonga to learn sumo?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

That line was said by Bischoff in the WCW "reboot" in early 2000, when he and Russo were both holding the book

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You missed the best part. When the crowd didn't react, he was like "I saaaaid hey Sid! Lost your scissors?"

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGOkpKHGG74

Meng making 98 Giant work.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

You missed the best part. When the crowd didn't react, he was like "I saaaaid hey Sid! Lost your scissors?"

also he was belittling Sid, who was WCW World Heavyweight champion at the time in order to vacate the belt and give it to Bischoff, so there could be a title tournament reboot

then Sid vanished off TV for like 6 months before coming back for 2 months and breaking his ankle

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not the right pants.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nick Jr. Face posted:

That line was said by Bischoff in the WCW "reboot" in early 2000, when he and Russo were both holding the book

Sure but that sounds way more Russo than Bischoff. Pop the dirtsheet readers, bro.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Not the right pants.

These are the Correct Pants. I think the other ones are a more snakeskin pair which weren't as cool

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm here for Meng's pants and Alex Wright.

EDIT: Removed horny

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

EDIT: Removed horny

pm me

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dawgstar posted:

Sure but that sounds way more Russo than Bischoff. Pop the dirtsheet readers, bro.

Yeah, I'm not even sure how much influence Bischoff had over the booking at that point, much less the specific writing? People say he was brought back to keep Russo in line, but if that's true then it simply didn't work as we pretty much got High Russo (pun intended) almost immediately, with lots of worked shoots, old references no one would get, countless swerves and turns, unnecessary parodies of wrestling conventions, etc. I imagine Bischoff worked closely with Hogan, hence why they left together after Russo's shoot promo, but I don't know if it went much further than that. A few folks here should be able to clarify.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1359914646996680704

HOOKIN GEEKS AND STRETCHIN MARKS

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/WrestleSketcher/status/1359888593754365955

I love the idea of an Ice Train/Scorpio team; Train, I think, was better than Hercules, and Scorpio is way loving better than Paul Roma.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/WrestleSketcher/status/1359888593754365955

I love the idea of an Ice Train/Scorpio team; Train, I think, was better than Hercules, and Scorpio is way loving better than Paul Roma.

Team Snowpiercer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Team Snowpiercer

Perfect :discourse:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Scorp in WCW when Glacier was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Was Scorp in WCW when Glacier was?

I'm like 90% sure that Glacier's run in WCW was literally coincidental to Scorp's run as Flash Funk in WWF