Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats why its all goodlooking peeps who cant lift 5 lbs due to osteoporosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are you a math/cs person? People have a tendency to favor the things they see that jive with their own perspective/position, and any media is a confluence of many different disciplines and they usually suck when they don't work together.

Video games, however, are more math than most!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was a liberal arts major but i fuckin noticed that these drat philosophical rpgs have poo poo for mechanics

compare to bennett foddys pot and hammer game, which tries and succeeds at conveying despair mechanically

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can definitely see a difference between 60 and 144fps but there are only a few games where I noticed a benefit to running it at such a high framerate and often instead choose to use a frame limiter app to cap it lower so as to save gpu power or boost graphics settings instead. Like, there's no advantage to running hitman at 144fps when you're just mildly jogging at best around a level to interact with world objects lol

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Manager Hoyden posted:

I regret ever seeing games running at 120+ fps. It looked exactly the same as a smooth 60 fps without dropping. I saw literally no difference. I wondered why anyone would want to spend so much money for such a thing.

But afterwards 60 fps looked choppy to me. I got no benefit at all from that higher frame rate. It just made lower frame rates worse.

I had the same experience. Got a 144hz monitor and played a few games that supported 144fps and it seemed ok, maybe a little better than 60fps. Then one day I'm playing one of the games and its running like poo poo and the animation is super choppy. I go and check the settings and find that an update had set it back to 60fps. Its weird how it works that way. Just a couple months prior that game looked totally normal to me at 60fps.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

site posted:

I can definitely see a difference between 60 and 144fps but there are only a few games where I noticed a benefit to running it at such a high framerate and often instead choose to use a frame limiter app to cap it lower so as to save gpu power or boost graphics settings instead. Like, there's no advantage to running hitman at 144fps when you're just mildly jogging at best around a level to interact with world objects lol

Advantage? poo poo baby who needs an advantage when everything smoove as heck

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's also crazy how much better DSR 4k looks on a 1080p monitor. It has no business looking that much better

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

jokes posted:

Advantage? poo poo baby who needs an advantage when everything smoove as heck

True, but I'll take 60fps ultra over 144/medium high if I'm not twitch fps gaming

hawowanlawow posted:

it's also crazy how much better DSR 4k looks on a 1080p monitor. It has no business looking that much better

DSR is a good excuse for looking at an upgrade. Forced anti aliasing doesn't work in mgs v, for example, but 4k DSR makes it look smooth as hell...it just tanks my framerate on a 1660ti

site fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 11, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't mind 30 FPS or film grain

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mind you, I think most of the 'good' video game plots are the ones that get the player personally invested and have consequences for their actions; like people go on about Undertale and Fallout: New Vegas because even if you're going for the same ending there's a shitload of stuff going on and different things you can experience.

im actually pretty burned out on consequences for your actions, because they tend to be binary or trinary and the outcome is rarely the solution you think of because games are inherently heavily scripted. this was my biggest problem in witcher 3, because i would think, oh i can think of a different option but the game won't let me do it because Budget Reasons, or whatever. i think it's possible--easy, even--to make a player invested in a setting and its characters with a mostly linear story that doesn't ask you to make deep moral decisions; your character just does the right thing, because it's the right thing to do.

maybe im just sick of "actually................ the game plays YOU!!" twists because it was tired in bioshock 1 but developers have continued to make them plentifully in the decade that followed. no john, you are the monsters is the quickest way to make me :barf:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 11, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i was a liberal arts major but i fuckin noticed that these drat philosophical rpgs have poo poo for mechanics

compare to bennett foddys pot and hammer game, which tries and succeeds at conveying despair mechanically

That's little babby freshman level despair, come back when you've spent 1297 hours grinding in AV for your high warlord set then blizz bans you for account sharing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
as for refresh rate chat i think games look cool when they have like 24fps or whatever. i just don't care for ultra smooth frame rates, even the most realistic poo poo looks cartoony anyway.

hell i'd play yakuza 2 at 24fps but setting its internal frame rate below 60 does weird things to the models' resting positions.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought the STALKER games had pretty good plots

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you cant call it art thats about wasting your life if the viewer needs to actually waste their only life on it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fur20 posted:

as for refresh rate chat i think games look cool when they have like 24fps or whatever. i just don't care for ultra smooth frame rates, even the most realistic poo poo looks cartoony anyway.

hell i'd play yakuza 2 at 24fps but setting its internal frame rate below 60 does weird things to the models' resting positions.

Bloodborne is so herky jerky it's unpleasant on a ps4 pro, so I've never got more than twenty minutes into it it's kind of a bummer.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

This is how you loving game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sebmojo posted:

Bloodborne is so herky jerky it's unpleasant on a ps4 pro, so I've never got more than twenty minutes into it it's kind of a bummer.

oh, definitely, if the frame rate is negatively impacting your ability to play the game well, then that's a problem. my stance on this is purely aesthetic

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've never noticed bloodbornes framerate issues

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The main reason to have games running over 60 FPS is so you can rub it in the face of your console-only friends when they bitch about the same game running at sub-30.

Anyway, Epic did a presentation today and it's one of the most boring and pointless 30 minutes ever. Besides a bunch of Kingdom Farts games and a new Oddworld coming to the store there was gently caress all. Just a bunch of F2P crap and updates to excisting F2P crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7L9gTg26RU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fridge corn posted:

I've never noticed bloodbornes framerate issues

i only did when my ps4 started to die, outside of the first area of the DLC which tends to drop frames if you spin the camera

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The good video game stories are super sparse and have set story beats but then allow the player to choose how to get between those beats, like immersive sims and dark souls

Paradoxically, good CRPGs like fallout and planescape kinda do the same thing -- most of the text is really great side flavor stuff that comprises the large stretches between the sparse set story beats

Another reason why Bioshock is a bad immersive sim, it's way too heavy on the mandatory story.

JRPG stories are awful, FF6 has an awful story and the only reason people like it is because of nostalgia. Kojima's stories are really bad too. I really do think that if someone puts a story in a video game that could have been told via another medium, it's a bad story because if they were a good writer they'd be writing in another industry. The good video game stories are the ones that could have only been told in a video game

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ff6 succeeds extremely hard at its goal, which is to make a video game as opera. hard to have a real great opera without a completely ridiculous story

i do agree that it was a stupid goal

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Making a game that's like an opera or, more relevantly to many games, like a movie, is dumb and a failure to embrace the medium. The cinematic poo poo especially is so infuriating, and not just in terms of storytelling. Why do you make your first person (or any) game look like it was shot by a camera? Why do you have lensflare? Why do you have depth of field? If you're very pedantic, the human eye might work that way, but the human brain certainly doesn't. Even realistic effects like being blinded by the sun are annoying. I'm playing some superhero with a million magic powers, give me the magic power of "being able to look at a bright light without blinding myself". That poo poo is annoying in real life, why the gently caress would I want to simulate it in my escapist fantasy?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

Making a game that's like an opera or, more relevantly to many games, like a movie, is dumb and a failure to embrace the medium. The cinematic poo poo especially is so infuriating, and not just in terms of storytelling. Why do you make your first person (or any) game look like it was shot by a camera? Why do you have lensflare? Why do you have depth of field? If you're very pedantic, the human eye might work that way, but the human brain certainly doesn't. Even realistic effects like being blinded by the sun are annoying. I'm playing some superhero with a million magic powers, give me the magic power of "being able to look at a bright light without blinding myself". That poo poo is annoying in real life, why the gently caress would I want to simulate it in my escapist fantasy?

*Splashes water on your third-person camera lens*

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

i especially love that in assassins creed games in which you are meant to be reliving the memories of some ancestor in ancient greece or egypt but also for some reason there is a camera there

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ff6 succeeds extremely hard at its goal, which is to make a video game as opera. hard to have a real great opera without a completely ridiculous story

i do agree that it was a stupid goal

FFVI as operaception

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Lakitu are canon in AC

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as a dealio about opera, the ost is absolute straight fire and is what peeps actually remember about the game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Meme Poker Party posted:

*Puts water drops on your first-person camera lens because that's totally how it looks when rain hits your eyeballs*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Earwicker posted:

i especially love that in assassins creed games in which you are meant to be reliving the memories of some ancestor in ancient greece or egypt but also for some reason there is a camera there

It's even dumber. You're reliving their memories, but it's implied that the person in the Animus has the same vantage point as the player-- that you're seeing the memories in a third person perspective. Which is why in AC2 the vision turns away from Ezio to face the camera when she addresses Desmond. And yet somehow you lose the ability to distinguish between your memories and those of your ancestors despite the very obvious tell that your memories are the ones in first-person

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

feelix posted:

I think as well though, that ludonarrative dissonance (I still hate using that term) is just the same thing, where people are mistakenly equating a game with a movie. If I play a game, the story could be my actions in the game. It doesn't have to be that my actions are dictated by a plot. But that takes a whole different approach to storytelling that we have basically zero experience with. Creating meaningful, emergent moments of dramatic conflict is really fuckin' hard.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dwarf fortress and rimworld are unequivocably games qua games in that way: ff37, less so

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Like lol if you even cared about any of that even in the slightest to give it more than a second of thought when playing an ac game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

It's even dumber. You're reliving their memories, but it's implied that the person in the Animus has the same vantage point as the player-- that you're seeing the memories in a third person perspective. Which is why in AC2 the vision turns away from Ezio to face the camera when she addresses Desmond. And yet somehow you lose the ability to distinguish between your memories and those of your ancestors despite the very obvious tell that your memories are the ones in first-person

*Meticulously explains why every single part of a video game, from loading screens, to health bar, camera view, etc... is all part of an elaborate simulation a real person is experiencing. Spares no detail and covers every possible aspect of this scenario in the name of advanced realism.*

*Character repeatedly dives 300 ft in a tiny haycart*

fridge corn posted:

Like lol if you even cared about any of that even in the slightest to give it more than a second of thought when playing an ac game

Even the developers eventually took this attitude and just went "gently caress it, you're a pirate. No reason, who cares." I'm trying to imagine taking AC lore seriously and I cannot. Maybe just the very first game on it's own.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lodin posted:

The main reason to have games running over 60 FPS is so you can rub it in the face of your console-only friends when they bitch about the same game running at sub-30.

Anyway, Epic did a presentation today and it's one of the most boring and pointless 30 minutes ever. Besides a bunch of Kingdom Farts games and a new Oddworld coming to the store there was gently caress all. Just a bunch of F2P crap and updates to excisting F2P crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7L9gTg26RU

There's like what, 13 KH games? And they all tie into the main story in some major way. Like if you play KH 1 then 2 then 3 almost nothing will make sense because 90% of the context happened in a 3DS, GBA, PSP, or Vita game?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

fridge corn posted:

The point of Assassin's Creed games is the Bill and Ted element of meeting famous people and having a wacky adventure

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

Even the developers eventually took this attitude and just went "gently caress it, you're a pirate. No reason, who cares." I'm trying to imagine taking AC lore seriously and I cannot. Maybe just the very first game on it's own.

they go back and forth with it. the plot of the last game spent a long time dealing with the overarching lore and that part of it really sucked. i wish they would just drop the whole modern day thing entirely and have felt that way since the third one but that would piss off the hardcore fans, with whom the lore is popular enough that they made comic books and a movie etc

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Some of the best storylines I've encountered in video games are in Civilization games or Stellaris, because the storyline each time you play is literally just a history of your decisions and actions and how they affected the greater world you're playing in.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Who wants to play AC in the modern day and age anyway? I got the pirate one for free and played an hour of it and was like "cool, it's a modern open world game, I've played this before and I don't need to play it again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

Who wants to play AC in the modern day and age anyway? I got the pirate one for free and played an hour of it and was like "cool, it's a modern open world game, I've played this before and I don't need to play it again"

Same. I played the first two and was like "ok, that was cool". After that I never got very far into one because it just felt too much like the same old poo poo. Black Flag was the last one I played any non-zero amount of. I can't imagine the person who has played through all of them and still wants more (admittedly, probably not many people).