Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Do you know what the actual guidance is or are you just assuming the purpose is to minimize individual transmission events? If a 10 day quarantine gets the R0 below 1 when imperfectly followed, it may well be the right number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boop the snoot posted:

False. CDC guidance is still 14 days. Local health officials have the option of ten days. Go read the guidance before you cite the guidance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html

Oh O.K..

Cool to know that biology works differently if your DPH is run by CHUDs.

At this point, hairs are being split so finely that we’d need a P100 filter to stop them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

False. CDC guidance is still 14 days. Local health officials have the option of ten days. Go read the guidance before you cite the guidance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html

E: so the answer is no, you haven’t actually read the CDC guidance

I think they're referring to.

quote:

Options to reduce quarantine
Reducing the length of quarantine may make it easier for people to quarantine by reducing the time they cannot work. A shorter quarantine period also can lessen stress on the public health system, especially when new infections are rapidly rising.

Your local public health authorities make the final decisions about how long quarantine should last, based on local conditions and needs. Follow the recommendations of your local public health department if you need to quarantine. Options they will consider include stopping quarantine

After day 10 without testing
After day 7 after receiving a negative test result (test must occur on day 5 or later)

This part, so while yes, the CDC guidance is 14, it's kinda weird to say "Hey, but you know your local health department can shorten it to 10." Which is kinda a weird thing to put in there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Oh O.K..

At this point, hairs are being split so finely that we’d need a P100 filter to stop them.

You said the guidance was one thing and you were objectively wrong. That’s not splitting hairs, it’s black and white.

The CDC doesn’t make laws and can’t force a state or local DPH to do anything.

Is your beef that the CDC can’t enforce anything?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

This part

I addressed that in the very post you quoted. Local public health officials can make their own calls but it’s right there in print multiple times: the CDC recommends 14 days.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Every single one of my friends with kids has had a COVID scare in their home, or has repeatedly had their child care disrupted, because workers at their daycare tested positive. In some cases, more than once. It makes me feel really, really glad I don’t have kids.

Also, with Cuomo opening up stadiums and indoor dining in Feb and weddings and such in March, right as new variants are starting to become entrenched in the US, I fear that we’re basically inviting vaccine resistance and more death at this point. This should be the time where we hunker down and hold what we got for the final push, not start to cast off the restrictions because some people are getting vaccinated (still too slowly despite the Biden administration’s push to get as many shots in arms as possible.)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

I addressed that in the very post you quoted. Local public health officials can make their own calls but it’s right there in print multiple times: the CDC recommends 14 days.

An ungenerous person would say that the paragraph I quoted implies that "Yea, quarantine for 14 days, unless your health department says 10 is fine" Which... you know, read that for what you want.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can we talk about the subtleties of two‐thousand‐dollar checks?

Because frankly, I found that topic to be less tedious.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

An ungenerous person would say that the paragraph I quoted implies that "Yea, quarantine for 14 days, unless your health department says 10 is fine" Which... you know, read that for what you want.

Your issue isn’t with the CDC then. It’s with state health departments.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you think about it, none of my issues are with Joseph Robinette Biden. They are with the executive departments under him.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Your issue isn’t with the CDC then. It’s with state health departments.

All I'm saying is, if I wrote a guidance on drinking lovely water after a pipe breakage for the CDC I would probably write something like: "Bring water to a full rolling boil for at least 1 minute", I probably wouldn't give cover to health departments saying "Your local health departments might also tell you bring it just to a boil for about twenty seconds, and that's cool too." or at the least wouldn't mention what the health departments would say.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also, the guidance isn’t that one single webpage. For example, states are supposed to follow certain criteria outlined by the CDC before opening schools. Whether or not they do isn’t up to the CDC.

The overall guidance in the bigger picture is that states will be able to make their own calls on quarantining and opening back up based on other criteria laid out by the CDC.

The issue is that states don’t give a poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As above, so below.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In 2021 alone, I have seen 6 or 7 people I know who lost relatives to COVID. I just can't believe we are still dealing with this.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

All I'm saying is, if I wrote a guidance on drinking lovely water after a pipe breakage for the CDC I would probably write something like: "Bring water to a full rolling boil for at least 1 minute", I probably wouldn't give cover to health departments saying "Your local health departments might also tell you bring it just to a boil for about twenty seconds, and that's cool too." or at the least wouldn't mention what the health departments would say.

but if you have 50 states divided into 64 jurisdictions, it is reasonable to think your boiling water guidance might need to be tweaked for someone who is across the country.

We don’t all live in Flint and it makes no sense to act like it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Uh, I don’t know how to break this to you, but boiling does nothing to improve Flint’s water.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Platystemon posted:

Uh, I don't know how to break this to you, but boiling does nothing to improve Flint’s water.

Oh my loving God shut up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's something for happier times.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1359968886276390916?s=19

The next time he gets it, he'll probably tell the doctors to gently caress off.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Oh O.K..

Does the CDC have any recommendations for things that will stop your backpedaling?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

Hashtag “believescience” is currently being wielded as a baton to pack teachers back into schools like it’s the Tokyo metro at rush hour.

Next week, my best friend who is a 40 year old fat guy who ate himself into type 2 diabetes and works either from home or in an individual office (his choice), is getting his vaccine.

Meanwhile I, an "essential worker" who has been crammed into a classroom full of students since August, whose workplace has over a 25% adult infection rate, have been told that it'll be late March/early April before they get to us.

Kazinsal posted:

There is no way to fix America.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The next time he gets it, he'll probably tell the doctors to gently caress off.

He also seemed to apparently miss a thinly veiled dig in June 2013, when @YoungBasedGod_g wrote to him, "@realDonaldTrump your dad gives good brain?? drat."

"It's called genes!" Trump tweeted back.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Prop Wash posted:

Does the CDC have any recommendations for things that will stop your backpedaling?

McNally said to drop the subject and I did, but I will never backpedal. I stand by everything I said, always.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Platystemon posted:

McNally said to drop the subject and I did, but I will never backpedal. I stand by everything I said, always.

You brave patriot. We are all in awe of your online arguing skills. Now please shut the gently caress up.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

Next week, my best friend who is a 40 year old fat guy who ate himself into type 2 diabetes and works either from home or in an individual office (his choice), is getting his vaccine.

Meanwhile I, an "essential worker" who has been crammed into a classroom full of students since August, whose workplace has over a 25% adult infection rate, have been told that it'll be late March/early April before they get to us.

Its true, the fat are undeserving. Lol you friggin psycho

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Defenestrategy posted:

This part, so while yes, the CDC guidance is 14, it's kinda weird to say "Hey, but you know your local health department can shorten it to 10." Which is kinda a weird thing to put in there.

Our local direction is 10 days with no symptoms.

Yes, this sounds dumb as hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Project Veritas lost their twitter

https://twitter.com/joshdcaplan/status/1359947371375960067?s=20

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://twitter.com/DJARINWEON/status/1359696302259511297?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grip it and rip it posted:

Its true, the fat are undeserving. Lol you friggin psycho

lol gently caress off

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Good on Pedro Pascal.

I’m still trying to figure out how hosed up Henry Cavill must be if he dated her for so long.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
gently caress fat people*, eat a god drat salad and go for walk.

*unless it's legit a medical issue

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Abongination posted:

gently caress fat people*, eat a god drat salad and go for walk.

*unless it's legit a medical issue

Don't gently caress fat people, that only encourages them to quit any diet.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't gently caress fat people, that only encourages them to quit any diet.

Hey don't say that, that might be the only exercise I get!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nonsense! Getting those steps in to and from the fridge has to count for something!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol gently caress off

This. If anyone actually gave a poo poo about teachers and school safety, they would have included them in the first vaccination group with healthcare workers and first responders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can you see where this is going?

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qodwm1CdW81qf1ker.mp4

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This. If anyone actually gave a poo poo about teachers and school safety, they would have included them in the first vaccination group with healthcare workers and first responders.

Here in PA obesity or smoking qualify you for phase 1 of the vaccine rollout. Teachers are phase 2.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah I don't even care about the fat thing. But someone with the option to work at home or at least excluded from the rest of the office?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

Our local direction is 10 days with no symptoms.

Yes, this sounds dumb as hell.

lol my base med group is only directing 10 days from the onset of symptoms. Not even 10 days after symptoms go away.

If a person is no longer symptomatic 10 days after their first symptoms, and they feel okay, then the med group directs them to return to duty at the squadron.

I told my sick lieutenant to hang out at home for a solid 14 days after her symptoms subsided, and that I'd cover down for her. Otherwise, she'd be back on the ops floor breathing the same recirculated air as 50 other people.

Thus far, nobody noticed that she was gone for a couple weeks longer than her quarantine order.

It's very cool to have to make my own quarantine rules because I can't trust the base public health team

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I don't even care about the fat thing. But someone with the option to work at home or at least excluded from the rest of the office?

What if they live with S/O, Kids, parents, roommates who don't?

I'd like to one day see someone do an "ethics on vaccination rationing" on this and make the case that maybe the 25 year old burger flipper needs vaccine more than my gramma whose 80 something, retired, and lives at home in rural rear end texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The burger flipper should take priority over billionaires that's for certain