Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried Spirit Island over webcam? I find TTS too clunky, and the Steam game has no multiplayer (whyyyy), so I figured it'd work like this: I'd set up an island and point my high-quality webcam at it, along with my board, whatever event/fear cards come up, etc. My friend would share his spirit's board and hand to discuss what to play where. All the lands are numbered so it's as easy to reference them as it would be with chess squares. The only real difficulty I'd think would be gaining power cards. I suppose I could show him four and he'd pick one from them and find that card in his physical set at home. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Crackbone posted:

Asmodee bought boardgamearena.

Enjoy it while you can, I give it 2 years before it’s functionally destroyed.
At least we've still got TTS.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

LifeLynx posted:

Has anyone tried Spirit Island over webcam? I find TTS too clunky, and the Steam game has no multiplayer (whyyyy), so I figured it'd work like this: I'd set up an island and point my high-quality webcam at it, along with my board, whatever event/fear cards come up, etc. My friend would share his spirit's board and hand to discuss what to play where. All the lands are numbered so it's as easy to reference them as it would be with chess squares. The only real difficulty I'd think would be gaining power cards. I suppose I could show him four and he'd pick one from them and find that card in his physical set at home. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts?

I get finding TTS clunky, but that sounds a million times more fiddly to me. You might have ruled it out, but I'd really suggest persevering a little longer with TTS to see if it feels smoother with a few more plays. The TTS scripted mod for Spirit Island is really well done, and after getting used to it sometimes almost feels easier than playing the physical version (the button to gain major powers, getting to return components to the supply just by chucking them in the sea, having the elemental tracker summarising the elements you've earned etc all are great quality-of-life improvements).

I guess it depends a bit how you play to - I mostly play 2-player, and more-or-less with open hands so that we can discuss and work out plays together and TTS is great for that since you can easily see each other's cards which I think would be pretty tricky with the setup you're describing over webcam. That said, if you think it would work better for you I'd just try it and see how it feels - I just think for me the TTS mod would be a lot easier to use.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

PMush Perfect posted:

At least we've still got TTS.

Asmodee forces takedowns of stuff on TTS though, like the best Arkham Horror LCG modules ☹️

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kerro posted:

I get finding TTS clunky, but that sounds a million times more fiddly to me. You might have ruled it out, but I'd really suggest persevering a little longer with TTS to see if it feels smoother with a few more plays. The TTS scripted mod for Spirit Island is really well done, and after getting used to it sometimes almost feels easier than playing the physical version (the button to gain major powers, getting to return components to the supply just by chucking them in the sea, having the elemental tracker summarising the elements you've earned etc all are great quality-of-life improvements).

I guess it depends a bit how you play to - I mostly play 2-player, and more-or-less with open hands so that we can discuss and work out plays together and TTS is great for that since you can easily see each other's cards which I think would be pretty tricky with the setup you're describing over webcam. That said, if you think it would work better for you I'd just try it and see how it feels - I just think for me the TTS mod would be a lot easier to use.

Maybe I'll give it another shot. I tried the mod (the one by "MJ"?), but I can't find a good readme style doc for it that explains what everything does. It says "remember to do the first explore yourself!" which makes me assume that future explores/builds/ravages are automatic, but I couldn't find a way to do it. Basically I'm not sure what I should be doing myself and what if anything the mod automates.

MikeCrotch posted:

Asmodee forces takedowns of stuff on TTS though, like the best Arkham Horror LCG modules ☹️

What's the deal with that? I remembered talk of an official Arkham LCG digital version, which I'd pay full price for, but don't remember hearing anything else.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 11, 2021

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Kerro posted:

[Bloodborne chat]

Thanks for the review. The card play sounds really fun. I JUST bought Death May Die so my "big box game" budget is empty for foreseeable future, but can you see a good reason to own both? I'm a big Bloodborne fan but between DMD and Frosthaven I dunno if I can justify a future purchase for it.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Kerro posted:

Bloodborne chat

I got my all-in pledge last week and enjoyed the solo game I played. Badly misread the first hunt card and accidently spawned the chapter boss immediately leading to a quick death and trip to the hunters dream. It felt very much like the first time I played the video game where I also died immediately. The rest of the chapter went well and I fully agree with your comments on the elegance of the combat mechanics. CMON has blown me away lately with their co-op offerings of Cthulhu: Death May Die and Bloodborne.

I'm now working on the biggest puzzle the game offers which is how to consolidate and store all the content from it's 12 boxes.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

LifeLynx posted:

Maybe I'll give it another shot. I tried the mod (the one by "MJ"?), but I can't find a good readme style doc for it that explains what everything does. It says "remember to do the first explore yourself!" which makes me assume that future explores/builds/ravages are automatic, but I couldn't find a way to do it. Basically I'm not sure what I should be doing myself and what if anything the mod automates.

What's the deal with that? I remembered talk of an official Arkham LCG digital version, which I'd pay full price for, but don't remember hearing anything else.

The MJ mod is the one I have too. I actually don't know if there is a way for it to automatically resolve explores - I've only ever done those manually, even using the mod. The only thing that it automates that we do use is the gaining powers buttons I think. Everything else we do manually, but once you get used to the shortcuts and controls in TTS I find it very smooth to use.

Re the AHLCH mod for TTS, anyone who wants it send me a PM. I have the version that is up to date to the end of Dream-Eaters.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

BinaryDoubts posted:

Thanks for the review. The card play sounds really fun. I JUST bought Death May Die so my "big box game" budget is empty for foreseeable future, but can you see a good reason to own both? I'm a big Bloodborne fan but between DMD and Frosthaven I dunno if I can justify a future purchase for it.

You definitely don't need to own both straight away. They are both extremely solid games (I think, again just early impressions of Bloodborne so far but I've played DMD about 15 times), though slightly different. DMD is a bit more fast and fun and suited to one-off play (since Bloodborne is still designed to be played as three-chapter campaigns with persistent upgrades), and is just fantastic for getting to throw a lot of dice, use crazy OP abilities and have a good time but without needing to overthink or min-max things too much. Bloodborne I think will definitely be the thinkier game - since there's nearly no randomness, and this to me has made it feel a bit more puzzly and thoughtful. As a result I think Bloodborne may end up being my favourite as that is more my preferred style of game, but in my case I expect I'll keep both as they do fill slightly different niches.

There's already a TTS mod for Bloodborne (without minis) and I'm sure that will only get improved in time so I'd try that if you can.

The only thing worth mentioning (and I added this to my post) is that the core box of Bloodborne comes with a shameful 4 playable characters (shameful cos each character only requires 2 cards and a mini - it's not like they have unique decks or anything) so if you think you might like it there is an argument to be made for trying to pick it up now when someone might be offloading their pledge at a reasonable price, rather than in a year or two when the ks exclusive hunters will be selling on ebay for like $2-300 the way the DMD ones are.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The scripted SI mod reminds you to do the setup explore because it does everything else, but doesn't have the means to resolve any of the invader cards. In fact, the only thing it does automatically outside of setup is heal wounded pieces during time passes. This is actually annoying if someone is playing Mists, since it doesn't account for them so if you press it they have to re-injure things.

On that note the mod is great, and playing an irl game since I noticed how much admin there is to the game. Auto-trashing pieces on the felt and using the numpad as a shortcut to place pieces is a godsend, as is the element counter(s).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thanks for the jotw replies, all. I wanted to play red guard anyway because the mini looks fun to paint :unsmith: sounds like whatever my partner picks it’ll go okay with it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LifeLynx posted:

Remember when Asmodee tried to port the LOTR LCG, which then failed because the game wasn't the LOTR LCG and went through like 2-3 different economy models, none of which were just "buy DLC packs"?

Good times, good times.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

GrandpaPants posted:

Remember when Asmodee tried to port the LOTR LCG, which then failed because the game wasn't the LOTR LCG and went through like 2-3 different economy models, none of which were just "buy DLC packs"?

Good times, good times.

Ugh I forgot about that. We had enjoyed the starter box and a few packs but my wife and I played a lot of netrunner and couldnt afford more than one lcg. After netrunner died I came across the LoTR game on steam, the rollercoaster of "oh poo poo! :science:" to "oh, poo poo :eng99:" was intense. Of all things I expected, budget hearthstone was not it.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Crackbone posted:

Asmodee bought boardgamearena.

Enjoy it while you can, I give it 2 years before it’s functionally destroyed.

By this time we should hopefully be able to have in-person game nights again anyway. It'll get chewed up by Asmodee real bad as soon as there's less online game nights.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the bloodborne dissertation got me thinkin: what’s the most engaging board game based on a video game IP? Is it Civ, hands down? By and large, video game adaptations of board games have been dross, though shoutouts to the Uncharted card game that a playgroup of mine was briefly obsessed with in 2013, that kind of played like a proto-Res Arcana. I don’t have faith that the Slay the Spire board game will be any good.

In that vein, what’s the most engaging board game based on a preexisting IP? BSG? Spartacus?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Infinitum posted:

Ta for the recommendations.

I know Russian Railroads is getting a Big Box Edition later this year in Ultimate Railroads

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH :neckbeard:

Infinitum posted:

but I believe it's only available to Ze Germans to begin with.

noooooo :negative:

I'll be keeping an eye out for this, I've wanted this for YEARS.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 11, 2021

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

MizuZero posted:

the bloodborne dissertation got me thinkin: what’s the most engaging board game based on a video game IP? Is it Civ, hands down?

In that vein, what’s the most engaging board game based on a preexisting IP? BSG? Spartacus?

Civ was in the opposite category before it was in the first.

Probably BSG or Dune? Would original NetRunner count?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

MizuZero posted:

the bloodborne dissertation got me thinkin: what’s the most engaging board game based on a video game IP? Is it Civ, hands down? By and large, video game adaptations of board games have been dross, though shoutouts to the Uncharted card game that a playgroup of mine was briefly obsessed with in 2013, that kind of played like a proto-Res Arcana. I don’t have faith that the Slay the Spire board game will be any good.

For a computer game I don't think there's much. Doom was OK, Civ New Dawn was good but broken, maybe Bloodborne is the best to date?

Overall IP I think BSG and Spartacus are decent contenders. Depends whether anything based on Cthulhu is considered existing IP. The Expanse board game is also a really solid card driven area control. And does something like Chaos In The Old World count as existing IP?

Edit also Hellboy and Dune

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I've owned the Deluxe version of Clinic for...a while now, and of course yesterday was the first time I got to play it in non-solo mode...on TTS.

What are your thoughts on it for solely solo play? I presume you view it favorably given that you’re considering the expansions, but do you have anything in particular you’d say for or against it?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Infinitum posted:

Lorenzo il Magnifico looks like my jam.

Lorenzo is, imo, pound-for-pound one of the best fast-playing mid-weight Euros ever made. Tons of interesting choices, easy to teach, doesn't overstay its welcome, and the expansion(s) offer some variability for when you feel you've mastered the base game.

Yucata.de has a decent implementation and there was also a Kickstarted Steam version that somehow isn't as functionally nice as the Yucata version.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
The Sons of Anarchy WP game honestly wasn't bad. At one point you could get it for 13 bucks, and it was easily worth that.

I hear really good things about BSG and Discworld Ankh Morpork. The latter got re-released with a nonlicensed theme recently.

Beyond that, the FFG LCGs plus Imperial Assault?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

The AHLCG TTS mod is still updated regularly and distributed as a blank save game by its discord server.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

MizuZero posted:

The Anno board game looks amazing. I think Mayveena was a big fan of it.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

pospysyl posted:

Yeah that did look cool, though Martin Wallace is all over the place for me in terms of game design. They're usually games I want to try at least once though.

Seems there's a bunch of decent games based on existing IP, but for almost all of them it seems there's another game in the same/similar genre that does the same thing better with the possible exceptions of BSG and Dune.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Lorenzo is, imo, pound-for-pound one of the best fast-playing mid-weight Euros ever made. Tons of interesting choices, easy to teach, doesn't overstay its welcome, and the expansion(s) offer some variability for when you feel you've mastered the base game.

Yucata.de has a decent implementation and there was also a Kickstarted Steam version that somehow isn't as functionally nice as the Yucata version.

I liked Lorenzo fine (despite the total lack of theme - one of the boardgaming podcasts I listen said something to the effect of 'It's theme is being the best euro game ever' which is about right, even though I don't agree with the assessment). It's really fast, has interesting powers and combos and nicely varied setup between games. For whatever reason though, the games I've played from those designers (Lorenzo, T'zolkin, Marco Polo) have all fell a bit flat for me, with the exception of Barrage. Again, apart from Barrage they all feel like they lack some intangible 'x' factor that makes me excited about a game. I think part of it is the style of player-interaction, which usually seems to be based around blocking but generally in a way that leaves you other options so it never feels quite so impactful. I think part of it might be the lack of connection between mechanics and theme, or the sense of working towards some overall goal. And I think part of it (tied in with the previous point) is that there doesn't feel like there's any major sense of ramping up - the actions at the end of the game feel like you're doing much the same as at the start of the game, just scaled up i.e. yes your actions are producing far more resources, but you're still just using them to fulfil contracts or whatever, it's just that they're more expensive contracts. It's weird cos I can see that they're mechanically really excellent games, I just don't much want to play them. Except Barrage, Barrage is amazing and I will play it any time.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's not named as such but the Mage Knight board game takes a lot of influence from Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

pospysyl posted:

I am! You can see my discussion on my YT channel (Mayveena). Haven't gotten it back to the table as much since Hallertau has shown up but it's in the rotation for sure.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

pospysyl posted:

I played it once on TTS a few weeks back, it's very very good.

I can see with repeated plays it becoming a race between players deciding when is the right time to leapfrog the others by using their tech.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Good to hear Bloodborne turned out pretty good. I backed at a dollar and the first dozen or so updates made it sound pretty shallow, so I put the money elsewhere. And obviously the designers did too, because they said it wasn't delivering what they wanted and overhauled the card play significantly in an update about halfway through and it sounded much more interesting from that point on.
Props to the designers for that, because I'm sure most kickstarters stop developing after its funded and move onto the next project.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

hoiyes posted:

And obviously the designers did too, because they said it wasn't delivering what they wanted and overhauled the card play significantly in an update about halfway through and it sounded much more interesting from that point on.

do you have a link to this update? curious to read more.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

do you have a link to this update? curious to read more.
My memory was off, it was a series of updates with core changes, but the most interesting was #73 which they realised the best strategy was just maxing damage and Fast attacks and other stats were kinda pointless.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/bloodborne-the-board-game/posts/2616033

#83 also had a long list of changes from 1.0 to 2.0 rulebooks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I love this, though I'm afraid I'm not so talented.

Memnaelar posted:

They're not Beetlejuice...

you only need to say my name once to summon me :twisted:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So there will be some German Versions of some games from Button Shy:

- Sprawlopolis
- Avignon
- Liberation
- Perfect Moment
- Circle the Wagons
- Tussie Mussie

There is a preorder (all 6 games for 50€) and I'm tempted.

Any opionins on those?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Sprawlopolis is a very crunchy tile laying game. I think it is a bit too difficult for what it wants to do, but it's competent. I wouldn't make it a priority.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I loved Sprawlopolis, haven't tried the others. Sprawlopolis wrings a surprising amount of variety and game out of like 20 cards, or something.

e: My wife and I played the poo poo out of it.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 12, 2021

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Asmodee Acquires Boardgame Arena

I guess RIP BGA.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

nordichammer posted:

Sprawlopolis is a very crunchy tile laying game. I think it is a bit too difficult for what it wants to do, but it's competent. I wouldn't make it a priority.

We played it for the first time last night! It seems like it's going to be an up-leveled Bandito, but then you get to the rule that says you can overlap the cards in almost any way, and suddenly you're not just laying down one of three cards, you have the power to change the city in huge ways.

I think my wife and I were too preoccupied with avoiding road penalties (you get -1 for every road in your city, encouraging you to link them together), but otherwise this is pretty much my dream game. I loved it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Selecta84 posted:

- Tussie Mussie

There is a preorder (all 6 games for 50€) and I'm tempted.

Any opionins on those?

Tussie Mussie is seriously great. It's a I split you choose type mechanic that's really fun.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

+1 to sprawlopolis and tussie mussie. Big games in little packages

Unrelated: I scored Black Angel for $40 today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yay! Octavian of BGG banned an All Lives Matter guy because of repeated moderation regarding Black people and Black Lives Matter. They have really improved their moderation in the past year and a half or so, I'm impressed!