Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

It's fine. I should have known better. Every time I, or anyone else, gives JB advice or a suggestion he takes it as an affront to his intelligence.

I guess you've unbookmarked already, but for the record it's not that I took any of it as an affront, but when I said "it's fine" I didn't mean "it's perfectly correct" or "it's the way a professional would draw it" but it's fine because the drawing is as much for me as anyone else and I find that section useful, hence "ignore it if it bothers you".

Sorry for being insufferable :shrug: I asked about the university thing (after it was brought up) because I'd like to know if an opinion is based on training or if they just didn't like it. I already know my opinion is based in the very narrow experience I have here, so I'm doing the best I can with the time and energy I have.

I really do appreciate and consider all advice that I receive in this thread but that doesn't mean I'm going to take it all, and if I don't take it that doesn't mean you're wrong or that I think I'm smarter than you. I've got way too much poo poo to deal with without implementing every suggestion, even the good ones.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I like your banner ad, lol.

My drafting teacher and my architect friends have all said dimensioning a drawing is the hardest part-you need enough dimensions to show where everything goes, but too many and the drawing gets messy and the important dimensions get lost in the pile of numbers. Different line/lettering weights/sizes get used alot to 'group' different levels of dimensions too. That's easy with CAD, less easy by hand. The goal of any drafting is clear, unambiguous communication, but it's possible for the 'unambiguous' part to interfere with the 'clear' part. IMO, better to err on the side of too many dims than not enough ime, especially if the drawing isn't exactly to scale for someone to read the dims off with a scale themselves.

I can't wait for JBCAD.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I like your banner ad, lol.

Huh. I didn't buy/make those.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The goal of any drafting is clear, unambiguous communication

You're right, it's tough, and even with the labelling I hadn't got around to putting on that block (see previous front elevation) it still fails "unambiguous", but the approach I was going for was "there should be enough information to reproduce this drawing/building from a lovely cellphone photo", because that's what I was originally going to be sending the drafters (and what they're expecting to receive). It's a bit less of an issue now I'm scanning in to-scale, but I dunno.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I can't wait for JBCAD.

It's one of those thing where it'll be useless to me by the time it's finished (because I've had to get the drawings done) so I'll probably never finish it, but it's been nice to work with some non-weeb UI stuff.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaded Burnout posted:

Did you go to university and get qualifications for this?

Yeah I did lol. I actually edited that to not be me lol cos it felt wanky. I've got a poo poo architecture degree.

I didn't come back in here because I regretted that post. I've said before I really like your technical drawings and I'm not in the insufferable bandwagon lol.

As others have said, certainly to my mind, drawing rules can be bent as long as it makes sense.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah I did lol. I actually edited that to not be me lol cos it felt wanky. I've got a poo poo architecture degree.

Well that's great then! I didn't mean it as a gotcha.

From my (untrained, untaught) perspective, I see these drawings as communication tools, and it feels wrong to me to leave out information, even if it's difficult to convey clearly. I felt a lot of ambivalence when doing it, but decided it was understandable enough.

If what you're saying is that to a trained person that addition actually detracts from its usefulness then I can swallow my concern and remove it in favour of the gable elevations (which I'll be doing anyway). You made a good point about my suppliers being incentivised not to push back.

I should clarify again that by "it's fine" really I meant "it'll do, it's about two-thirds down the list of things to worry about". It would be different if it was my job.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
This thread seems to have an inadequate joist score for cutting into engineered joists to joistify the banner ad.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bear in mind I have to write on every drawing I do, please do not assume this drawing is to scale or in any way use it to make decisions about building your house when I've pretty much told them thats totally what its for.

I guess assume your drawings are being read by a mindless computer programme, if the note to tell it what to do isnt there, then it gets it wrong.

Even something like this would be a help I guess:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

New version

I'll move on to the other drawings now.

In other news, the landscapers are here for the pre-nesting tree/shrub removal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Haven't been following closely but what kinda wood burner? I would make sure to get an efficient one with secondary combustion of flue gasses, that will drastically reduce the amount of smoke produced. Which I think can be of relevance in densely populated england.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Finished the new floorplan, including surrounding garden features. Took about 3 hours start to finish.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Haven't been following closely but what kinda wood burner? I would make sure to get an efficient one with secondary combustion of flue gasses, that will drastically reduce the amount of smoke produced. Which I think can be of relevance in densely populated england.

Probably something like this:
https://www.stovesonline.co.uk/greenheart-4-workshop-stove

Secondary combustion is good, and I'll check for that if possible, but the main goal is getting rid of wood waste and I'm not in a smoke control area.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I've gone through like 5 pages of this thread and I am quite perplexed, maybe a few more intervening pages will clarify things more?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I've gone through like 5 pages of this thread and I am quite perplexed, maybe a few more intervening pages will clarify things more?

What's your boggle, friend?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Banner ad confusion

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yah I don't know who bought those.

Edit: If it helps any newcomers, this is a blog-like thread about buying and renovating a fixer-upper house in the UK, the general trajectory of which is "pay a builder, get mildly hosed over near the end, decided to DIY a lot of the rest for funsies, creeping slow progress". It starts in media res and catches up to then-present-day I don't know how many pages in. At some point I stopped tracking expenditure, but we're on track for a £200k total on a £320k house.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 6, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Also like lol dude hasn't got any stairs (!) because he keeps getting distracted and building nicer and nicer bits to his cutting bench and plotting a big shed to put his increasingly exotic cutting bench in.

I think it's all great.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is true.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Last drawings finished, emailed the packet over to the structural engineer.

Once they do their thing we can send the resulting drawings to the builders for quotes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also like lol dude hasn't got any stairs (!) because he keeps getting distracted and building nicer and nicer bits to his cutting bench and plotting a big shed to put his increasingly exotic cutting bench in.

I think it's all great.
I had forgotten than the reason JB got deep into woodworking (including the shed project) with machines and all was to build the stairs, lol (and presumably a bunch of other stuff after the stairs). I've loved following the journey.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Last drawings finished, emailed the packet over to the structural engineer.

Once they do their thing we can send the resulting drawings to the builders for quotes.
Those are really nice looking drawings, especially for an amateur with no training. When I started adding shading to my drawings for clients it made a huge difference.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yep that's pretty amazing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think it's all great.

yeah minimal snark intended, my main question was if this is a woodshop that he's planning to live in at some point and how infinite is the tools budget

also slightly disappointed to see that he bought saw horses when he has 5000x the tools on hand to make some god damned artsy-fasternerless sawhorses

(more tangible questions would be like what is the expected timeline, loosely? what happened to the original builder? What do the neighbors think? Where are you living in the mean time? how long until full winchester house? etc. what is this about no stairs, I assume that's connected to the stair sideboards sitting in the background of some of the pictures?)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
also build a shed, put a bed in it, then you can free up the whole house for a workshop, hth

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

yeah minimal snark intended, my main question was if this is a woodshop that he's planning to live in at some point

I'm not quite tracking your question here. I'm living in a house, the subject of this reno, the main reno is almost complete, but I'm simultaneously starting a workshop build as part of redoing the garden. That's what all the drawings are about.

how infinite is the tools budget

What's a budget?

also slightly disappointed to see that he bought saw horses when he has 5000x the tools on hand to make some god damned artsy-fasternerless sawhorses

To be fair, I didn't have those tools when I got them.

(more tangible questions would be like what is the expected timeline, loosely?

:shrug:

I'm working on it all outside of a full time job, so it's still going to be a while. 2022 finish maybe? Depends.

what happened to the original builder

I fired him, because he was a lying prick. I could hire someone else (and will be for the outbuilding construction) but they wouldn't have been super involved in the final stages that I'm at now. Finishing work isn't really the purview of general builders.

What do the neighbors think?

I do not, have never, and will never care what the neighbours think, outside of keeping up friendly relations. There was an amusing bit when the new owners of the house next door moved in and gave the fencing a bit of side eye, when only months before their (recently flipped) house was close to being condemned.

Where are you living in the mean time?

I live in my house. It's perfectly liveable, it's just in an annoying state where I need to do some whole-house finishing work before I can fit out specific rooms.

how long until full winchester house? etc.

Not enough room for a proper drop trap these days.

what is this about no stairs, I assume that's connected to the stair sideboards sitting in the background of some of the pictures?)

I have stairs, they're just bad stairs. You're correct in your assumption, I'm hoping to get them finished in the next few weeks.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Wow, the banner Ad snagged me, and last night I read the entire thread. I now feel fully-qualified to buy a home in the U.K. renovate it, and become a builder/painter/plasterer/roofer and sparky.

Seriously though, great thread. Sperging about tool storage and the like gives me comfort, since my shed is a terrible mess. But you have inspired me to start a serious cleaning and consolidation of tools.

I have one of these:

(yes they raised and lowered it into my backyard on a crane, and the distance to the rear was about 160 feet (or close to 50M) so that's kinda funny.

This is before the bad times...Before the "lets store some stuff in there" before I ran all the electrical wiring. Before the ground loop was installed. I don't want to talk about it.

But great thread!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

fuckingtest posted:

But you have inspired me to start a serious cleaning and consolidation of tools.

:woop:

Having things in a place is a great barrier reduction wrt doing things with said things.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Snowfall is great for showing up where you need some better insulation.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

weird you've never told us about the rooftop hot tub you've installed? Saving for a new thread perhaps.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

weird you've never told us about the rooftop hot tub you've installed? Saving for a new thread perhaps.

You need to learn your thread history! That's one of the large skylights installed, with at least one having poorly sealed edges which JB re-did with an elaborate lifting mechanism.

JB is your skylight supposed to be rated for a high enough insulation value as to have less heat going through to melt snow? I've never looked into R-values for windows as compared to walls/roofs (rooves? :v:).

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

tangy yet delightful posted:

You need to learn your thread history! That's one of the large skylights installed, with at least one having poorly sealed edges which JB re-did with an elaborate lifting mechanism.

:thejoke:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

JB is your skylight supposed to be rated for a high enough insulation value as to have less heat going through to melt snow? I've never looked into R-values for windows as compared to walls/roofs (rooves? :v:).

Dunno, honestly, but I'd hoped it would. My veluxes do.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It might not be thermally broken, but you probably aren't losing too much heat through the frame. There isn't much you can do about it I don't think. Considering the surface area you might be losing more heat through the glass overall.

Are you getting condensation on the inside?

JB when you did all your cat cables were they shielded? How did you terminate them neatly? I have done some shielded cat cable but it is a faff and probably over kill for my use case.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

CancerCakes posted:

It might not be thermally broken, but you probably aren't losing too much heat through the frame. There isn't much you can do about it I don't think. Considering the surface area you might be losing more heat through the glass overall.

Yeah the glass is the problem area. I need to come up with some kind of thermal separation before next winter, for various parts of the house (some will just need curtains).

CancerCakes posted:

Are you getting condensation on the inside?

Yep, it's a bit of an issue if I have anything water-sensitive sat under them.

CancerCakes posted:

JB when you did all your cat cables were they shielded? How did you terminate them neatly? I have done some shielded cat cable but it is a faff and probably over kill for my use case.

Shielded and foil wrapped. A faff is right, I wound up using special keystone blocks and patch panels. The blocks have a quick-termination design but it requires so much hand strength that I switched to just doing normal punch-down.

If you can get away with cat 5e I'd go with that, it's much cheaper and much easier to work with. I can terminate 5e in seconds, it takes me minutes and all my strength to terminate a 7a cable at the jack. The patch end isn't so bad.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A second internal window pane perhaps?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

A second internal window pane perhaps?

I'll probably need to track down some kind of well-insulating diffuse fabric because I need to do something similar for my full height entryway during the winter, otherwise all the warm air floats up to the top of it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A knotted rope you can just climb up and hang out in all that warm top air? You could also not bother with the stairs then for further savings.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A knotted rope you can just climb up and hang out in all that warm top air? You could also not bother with the stairs then for further savings.

Cargo net lounge area for all your indoor treehouse needs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

genius

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
JB, speaking of tools, woodworking and such, have you watched The Sampson Boat Co. YouTube channel?

I am sure you have, but in case you haven't its an amazing waste of your time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

fuckingtest posted:

JB, speaking of tools, woodworking and such, have you watched The Sampson Boat Co. YouTube channel?

I am sure you have, but in case you haven't its an amazing waste of your time.

I'll give it a look, thanks.

In exchange..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so not sure if I covered this specifically when it happened, but the landscapers came around and cut back all the bushes and trees so as to make them unavailable for bird nesting next month. If we'd not done that then we'd not legally (and, if they're in use, ethically) be able to remove them in time for the spring/summer.

The stumps are still there, and we'll be removing those along with the site clearance and fencing in April, I've emailed the landscapers to book in the specific dates for that work.

I also spoke with the structural engineer today, went over the negotiation between which parts of the design are problematic from a structural point of view. Turns out that wind loading is going to cause some issues without boarding the floor of the attic, so we went over options and he's going to come up with something for that. I've also asked for him to account for a 500kg static chain lift in the ceiling structure to make raising equipment and other things easier, but told him to abandon that at the first sign of difficulty as it's just nice to have.

We're going to need to shrink some of the windows a bit for structural reasons, but that's fine.

In terms of the footings, I'm going to need to take a 2kg sample at 1m depth for analysis, and get the species of the outgoing trees from the landscapers, as we need to rule out potential hydrology issues if the soil has an especially high clay content and/or the existing trees have been putting an especially high water drain on the soil (which can cause issues once they're removed).

I also put a note in the letterbox of the neighbours to the back of me so we can discuss what to do with the boundary fencing there. It's a bit of a wacky layering that I discovered when the trees came out, a rotting fence on my side that I could pull down with one hand, followed by a short brick wall, followed by another fence on their side, except some parts of my fence are tied into some parts of their's, it's a bit of a mess.

She got back to me today so we'll arrange a time to look it over and talk through sensible options. This is the first time I'm meeting my third and final neighbour, so fingers crossed on no-Karens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh and I made good progress on there wolf's belated secret santa. Partial glue-up has begun.