Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

uuuuuugh, my idiot brain has really been wanting to try and scoop a Lowside when the 2021s come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Topstone 2 (GRX) in the Rainbow Trout colourway :coolfish:

I keep riding my road bike up rivers and through lakes so i've had to replace its BB three times this last 12 months.Thought it was time to switch to a gravel bike to see if it can survive.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It won't but given where you're riding you're going to enjoy the process of killing it a whole lot more. :black101:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

a loathsome bird posted:

or a 26x3.0

there's a lot of options out there for fun bikes!

Oh my, that's the stuff.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Everything about the Lowside spec and price is not that special, but the look of it is top notch.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

EvilJoven posted:

It won't but given where you're riding you're going to enjoy the process of killing it a whole lot more. :black101:

Yeahhh :)

It'll cover 100% of the rides I do on the road bike, and over 50% of the rides on my XC MTB.

(if it turns up)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have a krampus with 29x3" tires and I would not be looking forward to a single speed version of that. So exhausting to pedal...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I have a krampus with 29x3" tires and I would not be looking forward to a single speed version of that. So exhausting to pedal...

Just gotta pick a low gear and settle for not getting anywhere fast.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The 30mm exposures I put on my road bike measure out to 34mm on 21mm internal rims. :allears:

Guess I have another fat tire bike

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres a guy just popped up on a buy & sell facebook group who's after a replacement seatpost for his Aeroad. It looks exactly like yours LLH but times 1000.

You were right to send that poo poo back.

You can see where the rub started and the post has just fractured out from it. Then the additional damage of the rider tightening it up to compensate as its now slipping which has crushed it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

baby its cold outside

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Canyon was recently bought by some private equity firm so the quality is only going to go up up up!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Feels like they followed the usual arc of "hey this is a pretty cool brand who offers nice stuff for cheaper since it's direct! they make nice stuff!"
Then a few years later their QC is slipping and marketing it taking over and they're churning out dumb poo poo like that

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ruining your bike with a not-invented-here seatpost or seatpost collar is so loving stupid

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Theres a guy just popped up on a buy & sell facebook group who's after a replacement seatpost for his Aeroad. It looks exactly like yours LLH but times 1000.

You were right to send that poo poo back.

You can see where the rub started and the post has just fractured out from it. Then the additional damage of the rider tightening it up to compensate as its now slipping which has crushed it.

The WW thread is full of seat posts in various states of damage like this, and a number of people with terminal brain worms who are keeping their orders or even trying to buy a new one. They keep saying that they’re sure Canyon will fix this by the time their bike gets here. Like, just wait? If it’s fixed then buy it at that point. Crazy.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What if I can't get one in time for the race season?????

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That super 33+ tape is on sale for $3 a roll

Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape, 3/4 in x 66 ft, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WCCL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9CND2GSHKK9697TCF40M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm glad my gut feeling about all that wacky proprietary Canyon poo poo put me off ever buying one. Dumb as hell.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

nwin posted:

That super 33+ tape is on sale for $3 a roll

Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape, 3/4 in x 66 ft, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WCCL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9CND2GSHKK9697TCF40M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
1 per customer, fuckin Amazon

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is from a 5 star review on the Aeroad SLX listing:

quote:

excess empty packaging like an empty ziplock bag(?),

I was also unable to find the seatpost adjustment tool - it certainly wasn't amongst the small 'let's get started' box, and if it was anywhere else it was lost amongst the rest of the other bits and pieces.

Having two different types of grease (the carbon paste vs the little white grease tube) was also confusing without any indication of which grease was for what purpose - especially when the instructions called for 'grease' on the seatpost (not the carbon paste?).

Finally, the seatpost was half-smeared in grease straight out of the box, as if it had already been half-heartedly tried inside the frame. I wouldn't mind if it was completely covered and ready to put in or completely clean, but being half smeared gave off a 'used' feel.
Big yikes. Reviewer is like one of those naive /r/relationships posters where everyone but them knows they're being cheated on.

Wonder how this is gonna play for Movistar and other visible sponsored teams.
With heavy integration like this is that you can't just slap in someone else's seatpost and tape it black. They can pack extra posts, but the frames might not hold up for the mileage a tour can have.

This all stems from Canyon's decision to use that top tube wedge binder and have the structural part of the post up front, flexing away from the binding under load/bumps:

Was inevitable the thin rear part was gonna rub on the lip of the seat tube.

They could have used a Madone style slotted hole in seat tube:

build the post thick in the back, thin in the front if you want that compliance.
Granted, the Madone post is very short cuz the seat tube itself is tall and doing the mechanical flexing, so maybe that also helps reduce the torque needed to secure the post.

Also, this design is clearly more expensive to make between slotting the frame and adding threading to the post.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It's interesting that we're watching the early stages of a massive issue. They'll keep trucking on until a post snaps under load and someone gets injured. It's not fit for purpose and it's so blindingly obvious i can't believe they're trying to ride it out.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The Madone design also pushes a large wedge out from the front of the seatpost against the inside of the seattube, so the carbon bits being stressed are under tension. The Canyon design and its undersized stopper is just atrocious.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

The Madone design also pushes a large wedge out from the front of the seatpost against the inside of the seattube, so the carbon bits being stressed are under tension. The Canyon design and its undersized stopper is just atrocious.

Uh it’s actually totally fine to be able to see through the carbon. It’s the pinnacle of weight reduction. Canyon’s best German engineers designed this. Soon the entire seatpost will disappear, all thanks to the best engineers.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my seatpost is a metal tube and i don't ride fast enough for the shape to matter :smug:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Holy poo poo @ the see through carbon.

I have an aeroad, but not the newer model, and this stuff makes me wonder if something is waiting to explode on my bike.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

moctopus posted:

Holy poo poo @ the see through carbon.

I have an aeroad, but not the newer model, and this stuff makes me wonder if something is waiting to explode on my bike.

The old Aeroad is pretty solid all round, except for the seat clamp which can easily get jammed into the seat post. Not even an hour ago I dropped the post off at a mechanic friend of mine because I want to get it moving before I sell it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Someone needs to get that to Sam Pilgrim as fast as possible. Shame hes in the UK.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Send him this one it'll be easier to fit in a box and he'd be better able to do something hilariously sketchy with it before it inevitably causes the loss of another tooth.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

EvilJoven posted:

Send him this one it'll be easier to fit in a box and he'd be better able to do something hilariously sketchy with it before it inevitably causes the loss of another tooth.

That's not a weird bicycle, it's a weird tricycle, this is flagrant false advertising!!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

20" BMX: Most fun for just goofing around, make me work hard. I don't think that bike handling skills would transfer as easily though back to normal riding.
24" BMX: More forgiving, feels more like a normal bike,
Dirt Jumper: Too much bike for what I'm planning to do, but probably the ideal bike for pump tracks. How cheap can I find one?
Entry level mountain bike: Probably can't find one in a shop, but the cheapest Kona, Giant Talon or a Trek Marlin or something would be fine for all this, and be just fine for many years of keeping up with kid mountain biking if she wants to do that.

I'm leaning towards a 24" BMX, but it seems like they're super specialty and hard to find. I'd appreciate suggestions or heckles about anything I may have overlooked.

I think a dj is gonna be way more versatile than a bmx, the bigger wheels and front suspension take a lot of the harshness out of the bike, a 20" bmx is pretty funny to ride coming from a normal bike and rough on the wrists. DJs and bmxs are pretty durable, I'd look for a used dj if you go that way. If new buy either a commencal or canyon imo, best bang for your buck.

Other option would be a single speed hardtail, much more of a real bike for other stuff but also really fun putting around and at the pump track. Actually getting anywhere on a dj or bmx is a bit of a process due to only being able to pedal standing and the gearing usually being a little short to really stand and mash, a bike you can sit on is nice but the seat will get in the way at the pump track or skate park or doing random poo poo like manuals and bhops.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

special

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone here have experience with either pedal axle extenders or with speedplay pedals?

After fighting with knee pain and struggling with bike fit on my road bike, I got frustrated and threw flat pedals on it, which immediately solved the issue. No knee pain, comfortable in the seat, riding for hours, fantastic. Looking down, I noticed I placed my feet pretty wide on the pedals. Trying to replicate this stance with clipless, I'm at the point where I've adjusted my cleats as far inside as they go, gotten the ultegra long-axle pedals, and added a 1.5mm spacer, and it's still not quite enough. It close, but there's still a pinch at my hips and tension in my knees that turns to pain if I ride clipped in two days in a row.

So now I'm trying to figure out the next step to getting the fantastic connected feeling of being clipped in without grinding my knees into dust, and it seems like either spacers or speedplay are my best bet. I'm skeptical of spacers, but it's also cheaper than buying into a whole new pedal system, and I'm getting sick of having to throw money into this bike to make it feel as good as my beat to poo poo 90s trek mountain bike gravel conversion.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wow. Didja just fix it without saying anything or give em the ol' 'this is how close you came to wrecking your poo poo' talk?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

After fighting with knee pain and struggling with bike fit on my road bike, I got frustrated and threw flat pedals on it, which immediately solved the issue. No knee pain, comfortable in the seat, riding for hours, fantastic.
mate

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

If you mean "why not just run flat pedals?" It's because there are elements of being clipped in that I really enjoy. For a while I really enjoyed riding clipped in, until it started to wear on me. I really like riding hard and clipping in facilitates that better. If I could have the best of both worlds, why wouldn't I?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone here have experience with either pedal axle extenders or with speedplay pedals?

After fighting with knee pain and struggling with bike fit on my road bike, I got frustrated and threw flat pedals on it, which immediately solved the issue. No knee pain, comfortable in the seat, riding for hours, fantastic. Looking down, I noticed I placed my feet pretty wide on the pedals. Trying to replicate this stance with clipless, I'm at the point where I've adjusted my cleats as far inside as they go, gotten the ultegra long-axle pedals, and added a 1.5mm spacer, and it's still not quite enough. It close, but there's still a pinch at my hips and tension in my knees that turns to pain if I ride clipped in two days in a row.

So now I'm trying to figure out the next step to getting the fantastic connected feeling of being clipped in without grinding my knees into dust, and it seems like either spacers or speedplay are my best bet. I'm skeptical of spacers, but it's also cheaper than buying into a whole new pedal system, and I'm getting sick of having to throw money into this bike to make it feel as good as my beat to poo poo 90s trek mountain bike gravel conversion.

I've been riding with speedplay pedals for the past three years and I really like them.

The pros for them are that (once they're broken in) they are very easy to clip in and out of and the float in both directions is widely adjustable by a couple of set screws in each cleat. I'm very clumsy and having double sided pedals that you just have to mash your foot down on to clip in has made getting though intersections a lot less humiliating compared to when I rode with SPD-SLs.

The cons are they are pretty expensive and, in my case and a lot of other people's cases, they are completely unusable out of the box. I had to lubricate the cleats and clip in and out a few dozen times on each foot before they were easy to clip in to. Also, the rubber "walkable cleat" things that cover the metal part of the cleats have a habit on springing off unnoticed half way through long rides and they are expensive to replace.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Yeah get Speedplays. I had the same issue, inside of my knee getting really sore with most road pedals, I need my feet to move around a little bit through the rotation (so lots of float) and I have my heels turned-in so far they're almost whacking the chain-stays which is hard to adjust for on some pedals.
Only one bike fitter ever solved it with non-speedplay pedals and those shoes wore out and we had moved country so I gave up after some frustrating times and bought speedplays. After the initial setup they have been great, as long as I remember to grease them occasionally. Oh and if you need to increase your distance to get your heel in further try a couple of pedal washers first.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.rivbike.com/products/nothing-beats-the-bike-pin
Cute but this is what sets off math majors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

is that a rear rack attached to a brake caliper?