Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Notch is loving us again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Clairetic posted:

i can kinda answer this. it's mostly not because of Forge at all.

1) Vanilla has started moving towards a system that requires intensive generic CODEC interfaces to anything that gets serialized. It's very convenient to use (on the code side) once you get the hang of it, but so far they've only implemented JSON and NBT formats.
2) Vanilla ships Gson now, and it's also really convenient to use, so you can just use that and not have to include another parsing/config library.
3) Vanilla also automatically generates most of the json from code anyway, and tools like BlockBench export directly to json, so you don't have to edit it by hand most of the time anyway.

There are some tools like http://commandcreator.com/Craft/ to generate json blobs for datapacks that can help make it a little less painful for stuff that's reflected in data packs.

For the rest... sorry :(

idk about this client/server/world crap tho, i haven't gotten there yet

hi muse what's up

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Eyy hi MachineMuse.

I guess I'm glad if it helps modmakers do their thing but from a packmaker perspective it's weird and annoying having this big new standard that's only like 1/3 uptaken, and the lines are blurry anyway. Worldgen stuff could be x-server.toml and stuck in the defaultconfigs/world serverconfig directory (but why) OR it could be in x-common.toml and stuck in the config folder.

..or it could be its own drat thing in separate folders inside the config folder, for no rhyme or reason. And while that was relatively common already, it's the 'Here's the new standard. Please obey it but I guess it's fine if you don't want to no big deal.' thing that makes it more egregious, and just adds more mess.

See also the "There is x competing standards, let's make a standard that combines all of them!" "There is now x+1 competing standards." problem.

I still don't understand per-world configs for modded Minecraft. When will that be a functionality that will ever be used?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 10, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Clairetic posted:

i can kinda answer this. it's mostly not because of Forge at all.

1) Vanilla has started moving towards a system that requires intensive generic CODEC interfaces to anything that gets serialized. It's very convenient to use (on the code side) once you get the hang of it, but so far they've only implemented JSON and NBT formats.
2) Vanilla ships Gson now, and it's also really convenient to use, so you can just use that and not have to include another parsing/config library.
3) Vanilla also automatically generates most of the json from code anyway, and tools like BlockBench export directly to json, so you don't have to edit it by hand most of the time anyway.

There are some tools like http://commandcreator.com/Craft/ to generate json blobs for datapacks that can help make it a little less painful for stuff that's reflected in data packs.

For the rest... sorry :(

idk about this client/server/world crap tho, i haven't gotten there yet

That makes more sense as to why all the defaultconfigs looked eerily similar. Doesnt explain why some config options were only generated in world specific sets, though id pin that to it being new more than anything.

Having tiered overwrite levels of configs has its uses if done right, allowing changes to configs from ingame that can then be saved to specific worlds without overwriting your baselines.

I can see lots of applications for scripted packs or servers, less so for sp fuckarounds.

Also good to see you again C

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Faldoncow posted:

What's the word on using AE in GTNH as I enter EV tier? Any tips?

i'd rush the first bit of it asap. making the screens and a set of drives so you can craft from a terminal is a huge step up and isn't bad power-wise. the power crunch comes when you try to use it for autocrafting. definitely be slow and careful adding new autocrafting systems because if you add too much too quickly you can end up with pretty absurd power costs. one thing that's neat is you can have a bunch of patterns, but route all the materials for "autocrafting" it to a chest or something so you can get precise measures of what's needed for a given set of crafts. that doesn't cost much power but can take the calculating out of batch crafting.

it also makes handling fluids much easier, so i'd recommend pushing some fluid storage/terminal too. given the large volume of lots of fluids, you're better off sticking a storage bus on a super tank than trying to fit everything in fluid drives.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Storage Busing it is a normal recommendation for anything that gets beyond ten thousand units or so and there's a third-party storage solution that can handle that and more. Plus if additional liquid/items are coming directly to that third-party storage instead of through your AE system, you aren't hit by intake energy costs!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Halibut Barn posted:

Appropriately enough, in the recent README changes:

They've done an informal 2.1.0.3 release, so hopefully an official update isn't too far off.

:tviv:

I'm even playing on an alpha version of 2.1.0.3 and didn't notice. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a sustainable item I can use for machina essential in GT:NH? Buttons are my typical but they need springs.

Really, I could just go for that but I feel awkward making a stack in order to fill a tank.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

30.5 Days posted:

hi muse what's up

hi i'm working on my animism mod again. i have different ideas this time but some of the core motivations are the same. i still suck at art tho

Regarding the client/server/world thing I wasn't even aware of it being a thing so it's certainly not something that is clearly exposed to mod devs. The datagen system has a client/server distinction but so far I've only seen people using it to skip generating language files and models on the server side, or skip generating recipes on the client side (since you get the server-specific recipes when you connect anyway). There is still a culture of premature micro-optimization, so that could be it too. "We could save 100kb on our pack download size by not distributing the recipes with the client!" seems a little silly to me when the pack is hundreds of mb, but people think about that kind of stuff.

Forge devs have also been beating a drum about an upcoming feature about hot swapping of mods, so I think the plan is to have it so you can connect to servers with *different modlists* and load/unload mods accordingly. Who knows when/if that will actually happen though. I suspect some of the ??? is seeing stuff being added in anticipation of that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

hi i'm working on my animism mod again. i have different ideas this time but some of the core motivations are the same. i still suck at art tho

Regarding the client/server/world thing I wasn't even aware of it being a thing so it's certainly not something that is clearly exposed to mod devs. The datagen system has a client/server distinction but so far I've only seen people using it to skip generating language files and models on the server side, or skip generating recipes on the client side (since you get the server-specific recipes when you connect anyway). There is still a culture of premature micro-optimization, so that could be it too. "We could save 100kb on our pack download size by not distributing the recipes with the client!" seems a little silly to me when the pack is hundreds of mb, but people think about that kind of stuff.

Forge devs have also been beating a drum about an upcoming feature about hot swapping of mods, so I think the plan is to have it so you can connect to servers with *different modlists* and load/unload mods accordingly. Who knows when/if that will actually happen though. I suspect some of the ??? is seeing stuff being added in anticipation of that.

It'd be nice if Forge didn't insist on rebuilding some huge cache file every time you launch the game.

Frankly a pack ought not be that large if it's being distributed through Curseforge unless it has an absolutely huge pile of custom resources. I just hate how fricking everything is JSON now and how counterintuitive it can be to do something as simple as adding a recipe. Sure, it's nice that you can do that without third-party mods, but oh my god the loving JSON formatting is just the WORST.

Would like to hear more about your animism mod, though.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

It'd be nice if Forge didn't insist on rebuilding some huge cache file every time you launch the game.

Frankly a pack ought not be that large if it's being distributed through Curseforge unless it has an absolutely huge pile of custom resources. I just hate how fricking everything is JSON now and how counterintuitive it can be to do something as simple as adding a recipe. Sure, it's nice that you can do that without third-party mods, but oh my god the loving JSON formatting is just the WORST.
Yeah I'm not sure why it's like that.

I had designed my own JSON recipe format back in 1.7.10 because I was trying to do something similar. idk which one is worse. lol

{
"ingredients" : [
[ { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" } ],
[ { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "gemEmerald" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" } ],
[ { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" } ]
],
"result" : {
"registryName" : "powersuits:tile.tinkerTable"
}
},

I guess you'd go by tags instead of oredict names these days instead. This was only for shaped crafting recipes, though, and they were always in the same item group etc.. Vanilla's 'keys' system seems a little unnecessary but w/e

dragonshardz posted:

Would like to hear more about your animism mod, though.
So far I have a lot of grand ideas but implementation-wise I've only got early game stuff centered around the campfire and it's very unpolished. Recipes and resources and balance are all up in the air. I'm open to more ideas for minutiae as well.

Stuff that's implemented:
* make a basket from sugarcane or bamboo, which automatically sucks up any plantable items you pick up, and you can plant stuff directly from it. It has 9 slots which stack up to 999. The interface is kind of jank right now but it works. I made this because pam's gardens drove me insane when i was playing 1.12

* make kindling from wood (8 sticks and 1 planks.) it costs a bit more wood than charcoal does (1.25 logs' worth) but you can make it without a furnace, which is important because i don't want people to have to go underground for anything in this mod. There's enough mods that add more underground content.
* you can make charcoal on a campfire now. also you can burn charcoal on a campfire to get ash.
* you can use a bowl on a water block to get a bowl of water. the bowl of water can be dumped on anything to get a temporary flowing water block (level 1, so it won't splash very far.)
* you can put a bowl of water on a campfire to get a bowl of salt.
* you can combine salt (or maybe ash?) with gunpowder (for early game rarity) to make various magical dusts:
--* Ghost Dust which you can use to make your armor transparent or invisible, and Ghost Dust Remover which eliminates the effect.
--* Campfire Dust which you can throw on the campfire to enhance it in various ways for a time. (It replaces the vanilla campfire with an enhanced one)
----* Campfire Dust so far can change the colour of the flames and also can attract minor spirits. Also if you dance near the campfire (by moving your head, moving your body erratically, crouching, and jumping around) the flames get bigger!
----* If the flames are big enough and you mixed in the corresponding ingredient, it will start to attract minor light spirits which are invisible (yet) entities which hang out and place invisible/replaceable light-emitting blocks where they spawn (somewhere within 50 blocks, maybe). They eventually get bored and leave, snuffing out their associated light block when they do.

* Bones from animals as well because I plan to use them (or bonemeal) for a lot of recipes. Also stocks.

Some stuff I have in the near term todo:
* Laying down lines of salt that act as walls against undead (and eventually spirits too)
* minor plant spirits, which give extra random ticks to plant blocks in a small radius - maybe by mixing seeds into your campfire dust?
* minor air spirits, which speed up your movement in a small radius - maybe by mixing sugar into your campfire dust?
* minor fire spirits, which speed up cooking in the campfire - maybe by mixing in extra kindling? Maybe they have other effects too, who knows.
* clay pots, which you can throw just about anything edible into and cook a stew of proportionate nutritional value. Maybe also to gather/move water / make salt en masse? without needing iron for buckets. idk.
* adding new plants and fungi with mechanics that interact with each other (such as consuming/replenishing nitrates in the soil, needing/providing shade, etc.) and ways to get them
* instruments which correspond to note block sound effects, which can be used in place of dancing to attract minor spirits to an active campfire (or, later, for other mechanics that require dancing/music)

My eventual goal with this is to put together a series of minor tasks that all have individual meaning and combine to make something resembling a magical ritual that you can do just about anywhere out in the open (and is more powerful if done as a group but can be done solo just fine), as well as making early game survival without going underground a viable thing.

I also have some ideas for (minor) difficulty added stuff, which would probably need to be configurable to be turned off in big sandbox packs:
- farm animals have to eat (like sheep do) or else they become starved and don't give as many resources when you slaughter them - this will incentivize open pastures and cut down on nightmare pens
- aforementioned plant mechanics added to vanilla (and possibly modded) crops
- malicious minor spirits that scramble your chests, infect your cattle so they get hungry faster or give birth to monsters, mess with your crops, steal structural blocks, set fire to things, etc. if you don't repel them somehow. Maybe some of them just exist in the world, maybe some of them seep in through nether portals, who knows. Maybe some of them are attracted to the same things that the beneficial ones are, so you only get them if you're using the mod's mechanics, but you still have to deal with them somehow.

Longer term goals:
- worldgen places of unusual significance that look odd but not necessarily unnatural to the player, and attract minor spirits on their own
- making and infusing potions and equipment to see spirits and interact with them
- not-so-minor spirits you can interact with to gain their favour or subdue them
- binding them into curios or armor for special effects (everyone who has heard this so far has said 'modular spirit armor' and they are not wrong)
- developing enough of a spirit reputation to earn the attention of the Great Spirit of a given biome, who can be supplicated for large-scale effects
- a Great Spirit can also guide you to the Spirit Realm, another dimension for which the details are hazy but I think one key feature is that you won't take your physical equipment with you
- in the Spirit Realm you face weird and new challenges and can eventually Awaken permanently, which forces you to take certain Taboos in exchange for new powers including permanent Spirit Sight, the ability to visit the Spirit Realm on your own volition, and maybe a chosen form you can shapeshift into (a la Morph)

The taboos thing is somewhat ripped from RuneQuest Glorantha but I think it could be interesting. Examples: the inability to eat certain kinds of food, or an inability to use certain kinds of weapons, or a requirement to only sleep outside, or a requirement to visit a certain site (maybe a holy site associated with the Great Spirit that guided you, or a place of importance in the Spirit Realm) every X in-game days, or an inability to cast spells without dancing or making music, etc.

---

Right now I mostly think I need more ideas for minor spirits and ways to obtain stuff without going underground, but I'd love to hear if this inspires anything in any of you.

Also, images:
Swamp after a light ritual:

There are still some places monsters can spawn but they're fewer and far away.

Crouching wearing some iron armor with 50% ghost dust on:

Also that 2nd item is a basket with 130 sugarcane in the selected slot.

I made the fire pink and danced 'til it got large

also some preliminary clay pot models in the background.

As you can see, I am still not much of an artist, but I suck a bit less?

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

{
"ingredients" : [
[ { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" } ],
[ { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "gemEmerald" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" } ],
[ { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" }, { "oredictName" : "dyeBlue" }, { "oredictName" : "ingotIron" } ]
],
"result" : {
"registryName" : "powersuits:tile.tinkerTable"
}
},

This is basically what Minecraft uses now, though you'd be calling "tag":"ingotIron" rather than oreDict entries.

Clairetic posted:

* you can make charcoal on a campfire now. also you can burn charcoal on a campfire to get ash.
* you can combine salt (or maybe ash?) with gunpowder (for early game rarity) to make various magical dusts:

Technically, you'd use the (pot) ash in combination with some natural source of nitric acid, like bat guano, to make gunpowder...but I see where you're going with this in general. I'd say maybe combine the gunpowder with some kind of powdered magical plant (or lapis lazuli, since it's used for enchanting already.)

It sounds like a lot of what you want to do is primitivist in nature so I'd say poke around the various youtube channels for that and see what sticks out to you?

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I can't believe I'm going to make another poop mod.

It doesn't have to be gunpowder, that was just a suggestion I had early on for a way to make it so it's not trivially abundant and the expenditure carries some weight. And well, gunpowder definitely interacts with fire, so there's an obvious connection there.

I have indeed been poking around primitivist channels and blogs and so on, at least for the 'early game survival alternatives' aspect.

Magical plants are definitely a possibility, but I would need a way for players to get access to them without necessarily forcing them to traverse hundreds of kilometers of Huge Biomes to find a flower forest or whatever. Maybe by various crop interactions...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Clairetic posted:

That sounds excessive for regular users but I can imagine that is a real boon for mod interaction development, especially with the horrible startup times these days.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
A mod with the concept of not needing to go underground to the point you won't need stone for furnaces will have to address the typical minecraft instant step to stone tools. Eventually there's going to be mod tools for stone/iron/diamond tiers, but while living with stone tools it would be neat to have mechanics to avoid needing even those. Like befriending the spirit of a tree so it'll give you logs and tree drops without having to chop it down. Ground spirit that quickly eats dirt/sand/gravel blocks as a tool but has a sorta reverse durability as its fullness. Needs time digesting into a storage container before it'll dig more. Defensive spirits that invisibly harm hostile mobs in an area where you have been keeping them happy. Eventually you'll get the special spirit empowered mod tools to more directly interact with things.

And of course worldgen geysers to access youkai help from the palace of the earth spirits and their Subterranean Animism

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

I can't believe I'm going to make another poop mod.

It doesn't have to be gunpowder, that was just a suggestion I had early on for a way to make it so it's not trivially abundant and the expenditure carries some weight. And well, gunpowder definitely interacts with fire, so there's an obvious connection there.

I have indeed been poking around primitivist channels and blogs and so on, at least for the 'early game survival alternatives' aspect.

Magical plants are definitely a possibility, but I would need a way for players to get access to them without necessarily forcing them to traverse hundreds of kilometers of Huge Biomes to find a flower forest or whatever. Maybe by various crop interactions...

Crop interactions make sense. Maybe specific patterns of crops, like doing a checkerboard of potatoes and wheat does one thing, a bullseye of carrots and potatoes gives you a more different magic plant...

Bonus points if the getting of the magic plant involves a spirit visibly coming by, noticing the plants, and doing something to magicify them so they drop the magic plant while also giving out their normal drops.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That mod looks cool as hell and the salt thing is neat, but what are you going to do about creepers, huh?

I think early game options for nomadic players is really cool and it makes me wonder what a pack that plays into that would look like. I've always felt like the terrafirmacraft early game would be better with something that like that, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

StealthArcher posted:

I can see lots of applications for scripted packs or servers, less so for sp fuckarounds.

Problem is that for a server the serverconfigs are going to be.. on the server, which could be set freely by the server owner anyway. The defaultconfigs is basically there for singleplayer fallback, because a single player world with mods that use serverconfigs needs them per-world, thus necessitating the defaultconfigs to populate that.

Instead, you could make the argument for individual worldgen changes per singleplayer save, but again, why?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So it's been like a decade since I last played minecraft and I don't really know where to start. Do I just grab Curseforge and download whatever modpack has the most stuff from it?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Problem is that for a server the serverconfigs are going to be.. on the server, which could be set freely by the server owner anyway. The defaultconfigs is basically there for singleplayer fallback, because a single player world with mods that use serverconfigs needs them per-world, thus necessitating the defaultconfigs to populate that.

Instead, you could make the argument for individual worldgen changes per singleplayer save, but again, why?

The mod hot swapping stuff claire mentioned forge is trying for might make it server worthy, specifically.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nuebot posted:

So it's been like a decade since I last played minecraft and I don't really know where to start. Do I just grab Curseforge and download whatever modpack has the most stuff from it?

you probably want a modpack that has quests that guide you through the use of the mods, to familiarise yourself with concepts like item pipes, oredoublers, power etc. might i suggest Gregtech: New Horiahaha no

Baby's First Space Race usually gets suggested as an intro, but it doesn't seem to be on curseforge. i'd suggest something on v1.12 with a load of mods and without a skyblock map; there's a pack called FTB Academy that seems to fit the bill, it might be good to get your head round that before cracking into an actual non-tutorial pack like MC Eternal or something

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Blind Duke posted:

A mod with the concept of not needing to go underground to the point you won't need stone for furnaces will have to address the typical minecraft instant step to stone tools. Eventually there's going to be mod tools for stone/iron/diamond tiers, but while living with stone tools it would be neat to have mechanics to avoid needing even those. Like befriending the spirit of a tree so it'll give you logs and tree drops without having to chop it down. Ground spirit that quickly eats dirt/sand/gravel blocks as a tool but has a sorta reverse durability as its fullness. Needs time digesting into a storage container before it'll dig more. Defensive spirits that invisibly harm hostile mobs in an area where you have been keeping them happy. Eventually you'll get the special spirit empowered mod tools to more directly interact with things.

And of course worldgen geysers to access youkai help from the palace of the earth spirits and their Subterranean Animism

I love these concepts and I'm thinking about how to implement them. How exactly do you go about befriending a tree spirit? I was thinking about having 'minor tree spirits' as something you could conjure with campfire dust & dancing that would cause branches to drop from nearby trees, but that seems a little weird and easy to miss bits that just fall in a forest without any indication.

Maybe various actions like using bone meal and water on the soil, planting fungi...?

And is there going to be a spirit for *every* tree, or just some of them?

I was thinking at least for weapons, shovels, axes, etc. - bone might make a suitable substitute for stone, especially if it's abundant due to animals dropping them.

The earth spirit shovel is a really neat idea. I wonder if there's a way to make it fit into the progression earlier without necessarily having to have access to binding or even seeing.

dragonshardz posted:

Crop interactions make sense. Maybe specific patterns of crops, like doing a checkerboard of potatoes and wheat does one thing, a bullseye of carrots and potatoes gives you a more different magic plant...

Bonus points if the getting of the magic plant involves a spirit visibly coming by, noticing the plants, and doing something to magicify them so they drop the magic plant while also giving out their normal drops.
Yeah! I think maybe it happens before the 'sight' phase (b/c you need some kind of herbal concoction to see them in the first place) but crops that have been 'visited' have a different model to show they're special-ified.

30.5 Days posted:

That mod looks cool as hell and the salt thing is neat, but what are you going to do about creepers, huh?

I think early game options for nomadic players is really cool and it makes me wonder what a pack that plays into that would look like. I've always felt like the terrafirmacraft early game would be better with something that like that, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Creepers are canonically afraid of cats & ocelots so I was thinking maybe something like a 'scare-creeper' statue or talisman. Maybe it's like got a hot plate and water drip inside to make a hissing noise so you have to keep it fed with charcoal?

Alternatively or later on, possibly a shrine/altar to a Great Cat Spirit could do the trick.

They also have a much smaller chase range if you're wearing a creeper head so maybe some kind of early game way of creating something like that?

Nomadic stuff is definitely in scope. Maybe multiblock tents? You place 4 wooden pegs and then use a piece of leather on them to generate a small safe structure to hide in at night, which you can tear down with little effort in the morning?

I haven't ported the basket code over to the IItemHandler yet so that it will interact with other mods that use ItemHandler capabilities (I didn't find out about that until recently) but other kinds of specialized bags (for animal bits, tent parts, etc.) would be trivial to implement. I just haven't done that because well, there are plenty of backpack mods already. I just wanted the specialized behaviour of being able to plant things directly out of the container without having to open a GUI and gently caress around with inventory slots.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 11, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

I love these concepts and I'm thinking about how to implement them. How exactly do you go about befriending a tree spirit? I was thinking about having 'minor tree spirits' as something you could conjure with campfire dust & dancing that would cause branches to drop from nearby trees, but that seems a little weird and easy to miss bits that just fall in a forest without any indication.

Maybe various actions like using bone meal and water on the soil, planting fungi...?

And is there going to be a spirit for *every* tree, or just some of them?

Befriend a tree spirit - a dryad or hamadryad, if you like - by improving their environment? Giving them fertilizer and water is a good start, maybe clearing away any random-genned "diseased" plants, planting flowers near them...

Hell, just spending time nearby. I think a spirit for every tree would be too many. Maybe one tree spirit for every 2x2 or 3x3 chunks?

Clairetic posted:

I was thinking at least for weapons, shovels, axes, etc. - bone might make a suitable substitute for stone, especially if it's abundant due to animals dropping them.

The earth spirit shovel is a really neat idea. I wonder if there's a way to make it fit into the progression earlier without necessarily having to have access to binding or even seeing.

Bone, magically hardened wood, maybe some kind of ceramic sword/armor...

An earth spirit shovel could be made before binding or seeing as some kind of simple ritual, maybe the player spills a little blood and milk on the ground and a friendly local earth spirit materializes itself as the shovel?

I love the idea of a scare-creeper statue that you keep fueled with charcoal (that lasts a good proper long while) and water, which could then act as an anchor for Cat Spirits in the future.

For nomadic stuff, I love how Nomadic Tents handles their function - you place the tent down and bap the blocks with a hammer, then you get what's effectively a TARDIS to nap in.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

dragonshardz posted:

Befriend a tree spirit - a hamdryad

A spirit of ham

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

A spirit of ham

His name is Remedial. Have some respect.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

JerikTelorian posted:

His name is Remedial. Have some respect.

Respect comes to those who are owed it :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you probably want a modpack that has quests that guide you through the use of the mods, to familiarise yourself with concepts like item pipes, oredoublers, power etc. might i suggest Gregtech: New Horiahaha no

Baby's First Space Race usually gets suggested as an intro, but it doesn't seem to be on curseforge. i'd suggest something on v1.12 with a load of mods and without a skyblock map; there's a pack called FTB Academy that seems to fit the bill, it might be good to get your head round that before cracking into an actual non-tutorial pack like MC Eternal or something

I'll jump in rear end first with that new horizons stuff and see how bad it gets :shepface:. Friends keep telling me to get this multiloader thing over curseforge, what's the difference if anyone knows?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I'll jump in rear end first with that new horizons stuff and see how bad it gets :shepface:. Friends keep telling me to get this multiloader thing over curseforge, what's the difference if anyone knows?

MultiMC works better but looks gross imo. GDLauncher is the good curse alternative imo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nuebot posted:

Recently, Curseforge got sold to Overwolf, known peddlers of spyware and other nonsense. I use MultiMC these days, with https://github.com/Vazkii/CMPDL/releases the Curse Modpack Downloader to avoid having to deal with the overwolf garbage.

There's also GDLauncher, which I have heard good things about but have never used.

Also, don't play gregtech new horizons if you're new to modded minecraft. It's concentrated suffering.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do not play new horizons first

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Or do, we're not your parent.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Recently, Curseforge got sold to Overwolf, known peddlers of spyware and other nonsense. I use MultiMC these days, with https://github.com/Vazkii/CMPDL/releases the Curse Modpack Downloader to avoid having to deal with the overwolf garbage.

There's also GDLauncher, which I have heard good things about but have never used.

Also, don't play gregtech new horizons if you're new to modded minecraft. It's concentrated suffering.

Cool, cool, thanks for all of the suggestions - so that modpack downloader wants me to have a modpack url? I am completely dumb here and don't know the basics.

I might wind up just playing some random stuff my friends have been playing since they're the ones who've gotten me interested in playing again, some look better than others. One friend of mine was showing off "RLCraft" last night which I thought looked hilarious.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Why the gently caress did this happen and why isn't the minecraft modding community more "torches and pitchforks" with this?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Why the gently caress did this happen and why isn't the minecraft modding community more "torches and pitchforks" with this?

Because tbqh we are lucky they let us mod the game at all and it's all volunteer work. Unless someone forks up the cash to host everything and partners with some dev group willing to create an open source launcher we ain't got a leg to stand on.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen people in discords who are overjoyed at more revenue for modders and pack makers via unskippable ads in the launcher, so to a certain extent the community deserves this

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

cmpdl 1.2.2 didn't work for me at all, but luckily I can still work with MultiMC's downloader (in linux) and it had no trouble getting FTB Academy. The curseforge URL is apparently quite the moving target and loves to 403 so even if you do get the initial zip file, getting the pack behind it is a tossup after that. GDLauncher is also still broken in Linux.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

It happened because capitalism, and the other option would be like...Technic, which the main modloader devs don't like because grr, argh, goons.

Eox posted:

I've seen people in discords who are overjoyed at more revenue for modders and pack makers via unskippable ads in the launcher, so to a certain extent the community deserves this

Gotta get those adfly pennies.

It'd be nice if Nexus had Minecraft mod hosting. At least they don't suck.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

Gotta get those adfly pennies.

People probably spend more money on computer recovery from adfly ad malware than the mod makers using adfly get money from adfly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

People probably spend more money on computer recovery from adfly ad malware than the mod makers using adfly get money from adfly.

Didn't minecraft modders used to hate modpacks and basically wage modwar against eachother over adfly links and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

dragonshardz posted:

It'd be nice if Nexus had Minecraft mod hosting. At least they don't suck.

Funny enough, saw MC support for Vortex in early testing