Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pyrotoad posted:

I had a teacher at school who claimed that he'd drink dirty water over clear water in a survival situation - his logic was that he has a rough idea of what bacteria and parasites he's risking with the dirty water, but the clear stuff could only be clear if it had something in it that killed all those things, and he'd have no idea if it could kill him too. He grew up in an industrial town so I guess chemical run-off into the water was an issue at the time?

This is a strong contender for the dumbest thing I've read on these forums.

Like, powerfully stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Platystemon posted:

There are places where the water is clear because it’s snow melt and it came from one kilometre up the mountain you’re hiking up or whatever.

Foregoing that to drink the closest bog water would not be a good idea.

Yeah I've drank the mountain water a couple times, usually when I'm high enough up that I'm bumping up on glaciers. I haven't gotten sick yet?

But yeah down in the lowlands I'd rather not. You'd probably be fine though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I met a guy who got thirsty while hiking in Italy, figured he was at a high enough altitude to drink the water, and spent six months in the hospital with something horrible

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
as I say, it was Italy, so it might have been giardia de Laurentiis

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Empty Sandwich posted:

as I say, it was Italy, so it might have been giardia de Laurentiis

Also known as boobonic plague.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pyrotoad posted:

I don't know why people default to fish as the easy pet for kids :gonk:

nice bombina orientalis there in your av, pyrotoad
my last firebellied toad is like 15+ years old now and refuses to die, you picked a good toad

I like that a toad av guy has stuff to say about water quality. amphibians are a canary species when it comes to water quality so it fits.

Also here in california you don't drink even high alpine spring water untreated because of the giardia risk, but that definitely does not mean that stagnant water is better, and you'd drink that untreated spring water if your other option was dying, for sure. Although in a survival situation, getting severe diarrhea can also kill you even faster, so... it's a rough choice to have to make. The moral of the story is to have a good filter with you when you go wandering around in the mountains, idiot

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Drinking creek/river water is basically like drinking diluted raw sewage. Lots of animal faeces get washed in when it rains, not to mention the animals that live in the waterway.
In cold areas (alpine), you get fewer animals in the water and bacteria and parasites tend not to reproduce as fast (or die). If you're young and healthy and the water flow is good, the pathogen counts are pretty low and you'll probably fight off any infection.

Just because the local river water is clear and there's no human pollution in the river doesn't mean it's safe, it's just safer than muddy stagnant ponds. Tons of people around here drink untreated water from rainwater tanks with no first-flush installed and don't get sick... until they do (and then go right back to drinking the bird-poop-roof water without adding chlorine because *natural*)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's amazing wild animals live as long as they do. We've clearly become genetically soft.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's amazing wild animals live as long as they do. We've clearly become genetically soft.

They’re full of parasites and stuff

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, there's a reason every animal description in a book has a line that goes something like: "The usual lifespan of this species is around 4 years in the wild, although individuals domesticated as pets have been known to live for as long as 12 years."

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

They’re full of parasites and stuff
Greenland sharks don't let pesky parasites and stuff stop them living to 250+ years (even if most of that is spent blind because a parasite had sucked their eyeballs dry)...

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Ocean parasites are cute sometimes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bird poop roof water is delicious

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Drink it up

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just wanted to say thank you to the thread for the Alone recommendation. Show is excellent and imo it's really clear from the start who will last and who will not. Watching S07 and instantly was like "oh, this guys is a youtube 'survivalist', he'll be the first to go". laughed pretty hard when he almost immediately lost his firestarter

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 12, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

punishedkissinger posted:

just wanted to say thank you to the thread for the Alone recommendation.

:same: I’d never seen it but started watching season six yesterday and now I’m on episode 9 already.

Netflix only has season six what’s the best place to see other seasons?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hulu has 1–6. I also watched the Netflix season first, but I think it's probably better to go in order if you can.

It looks like season 7 is only available through the history channel for now

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you happen to have Comcast/Xfinity service, they have every season available on demand.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Definitely wait on watching the Alone season in Mongolia (S5?), it’s a “redemption” season with contestants that didn’t win their respective seasons and has spoilers galore (including the fact that everyone on the show clearly didn’t win their respective season).

Otherwise there’s no harm in watching them out of order beyond a rare reference to other contestants/past seasons here and there.

I watched the Netflix season (S6, Yukon Terr) first, and the only thing it ruined for the rest of the seasons was that no woman has ever won, since one contestant says “I’d love to be the first woman to win.”

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I started on season 6 today. Already enjoying the bloke who didn't bring a firestarter, failed to make a fire and didn't build a shelter on the first day. I don't have high hopes for him.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
A few years back the Try Guys did their own take on Alone to promote it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just downloaded Alone seasons 1-5 because of this thread, looking forward to watching it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

Also, anecdata: among my group of friends who climb, backpack, ski, mountaineer, ski-mountaineer, etc., there's about a dozen ACL tears (all at resorts, though), about half a dozen climbing accidents ranging from calcaneus fractures to death (1), and one lightning strike (he lived and still climbs). Literally zero attacks by bears or other wildlife.

Well, except robber jays, but they are right bastards.

TBF, bears are not noted for their big-wall technique.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
i really liked Larry from Season 2

Also the dude from el Salvador in the most recent season he was awesome.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

TBF, bears are not noted for their big-wall technique.

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAB9-VGIkzM

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy cats.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Are they cancelling this year's Everest season due to covid?

(I know the answer will be no)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pekinduck posted:

Are they cancelling this year's Everest season due to covid?

(I know the answer will be no)

Just an opportunity to be the first person with covid to climb Everest

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The best move is not to be in the military. One dude instantly bailed at the start as soon as he saw evidence of bears being around.

Started watching this, and I can't blame the dude. The evidence he finds is literally finding the bear and her cubs living close to his camp.

Looking over the list of items they get to choose 10 of, I think I would go tarp, rope, hatchet, and then use the other 7 items to get 35 lbs. of food.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 14, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is sleeping bag one of them? That seems worth 5lbs of food

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
They get some stuff by default I’ll find the list

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i think you'd have to bring a pot to boil water in

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
it changes by season slightly I think but
https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

It was news to me that a sleeping bag, pot, tarp, and ferro rod count as 4 of your items. So really they have like 6 items to choose since you absolutely can't survive without those. I don't think we've seen a competitor make it 3 days without them. Then you have a knife of some kind, an ax and/or saw, fishing line, and basically the choice is whether to bring a bow or another knife or whether or not you bring a gill net. There's really only like 2-3 items where they have any real choice. Which I guess is the point, the limits are severe enough that your choices are going to have a huge impact on what you can do. I have watched all the seasons and there's been several times when the lack of a particular item (that other contestants commonly had) or losing an item sent someone home.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

one of those 10 items should be a fuckin OSHA manual

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I just watched a guy kill a musk ox with a knife so im pretty sure Alone isnt fake at this point

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 14, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

punishedkissinger posted:

I just watched a guy kill a musk ox woth a knife so im pretty sure Alone isnt fake at this point

:stare:

First half of the show seems pretty luck-based. Other than the guy who lost his firestarter thing, everyone who made it for the long haul seems to have gotten a good starting location.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean bears are pretty renowned for being good climbers. This is generally in the context of "don't climb a tree if you see a bear", but still.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The guy that brought a Kukri as his knife season one bothered me it just seems like an odd choice like it’d be a pain in the rear end to gut fish and do other stuff where you need a lot of control with such a curved blade but maybe you get used to it. I’d probably either bring a real beefy pocket knife or a 10” Bowie or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I started watching Alone via the netflix season and the ferro rod guy is amazing. It sounds like he brought a fishing net instead???