Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is there an Epstein Foundation or anything currently tasked with the rehabilitation of his image. lol

(of course, no rehabilitation necessary since some people always did and still do think he was a great guy)

https://kiseki.fandom.com/wiki/Epstein_Foundation

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

there is an Epstein victim fund but I’m guessing that doesn’t count. if I’m not mistaken I recently saw that it’s funds were frozen by virgin island authorities over concerns of liquidity.

I’m pretty sure the fund was supposed to have like 260 mill to give out—would be curious to know if anyone not a victim is claiming it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do we know the mechanism of promis' back door or how accessing it would have been invisible to network security?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I still haven't read up that much on it, but just as speculation I think that rather than remote access, there may have been agents employed at relevant places who would use the backdoor to gain much more access than they should have been allowed, and then exfiltrate any needed info the old-fashioned way.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

anyone ever look at a promis eula? even if it’s just for hospital software or something

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

there is a good 31 part series of 5 minute segments on PROMIS and the octopus a local tv station KESQ did, by ace reporter nathan baca. i found it the other day:

https://youtu.be/D1JPZuRVqUM

PROMIS connects basically every figure we've discussed in this thread. bin laden is even supposed to have had a copy of the software that some russian mobsters sold him - they in turn bought it from US intelligence during the years of Shock Therapy.

everyone should watch this series, it's pretty wild. it starts off slow and ramps up and gets crazier.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Cached Money posted:

everyone should watch this series, it's pretty wild. it starts off slow and ramps up and gets crazier.

just hit part 12 and loving kapow

Zook
Oct 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/nrlachance/status/1359213650389663746?s=19

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

nut posted:

just hit part 12 and loving kapow

Cached Money posted:

i found myself growing very fond of ace reporter nathan baca as it went on, too. a clearly sincere and professional guy who finds himself crack pinging in bush's amerika. episode 7 is the pivot for me, where he is given the run around by different departments. he's still having to abide by the unspoken code of conduct and visual tropes of tv news - the bit where he's reenacting walking in and out of different buildings to illustrate his investigation has this hilariously stiff and surreal quality - but you can tell he is vibrating inside. this button down, amiable local news reporter senses some dark and unfathomable lovecraftian horror may be looming out of the murk. it creates a great meta narrative. big fan of nathan baca.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Real hurthling! posted:

do we know the mechanism of promis' back door or how accessing it would have been invisible to network security?

An undocumented chip on computers sold to run it (e: on second look, actually hidden on any computer at all, not just those sold for PROMIS use by government) was allegedly capable of turning the power lines to it into an antenna. The chip slowly drew ambient power from the board to remain undetected, then released/leaked its data in a burst upon an external signal. The data could be key logs from the bus the keyboard is on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROMIS_(software)

quote:

A book written in 1997 by Fabrizio Calvi and Thierry Pfister claimed that the National Security Agency (NSA) had been "seeding computers abroad with PROMIS-embedded SMART (Systems Management Automated Reasoning Tools) chips, code-named Petrie, capable of covertly downloading data and transmitting it, using electrical wiring as an antenna, to U.S. intelligence satellites" as part of an espionage operation.[1]

Here's a much longer article on PROMIS that can't be found anymore, but it's on web archives:

https://web.archive.org/web/2020092...-danny-casolaro

quote:

An NSA integrated circuit manufacturing facility in the Silicon Valley allegedly produced the “Petrie Chip” which the CIA contractor covertly inserted into the computers equipped with the PROMIS software.

These turnkey systems were allegedly sold to foreign intelligence and law enforcement agencies and banks through cutout companies.

The Petrie Chip allegedly replaced an identical-looking integrated circuit and consumed an identical amount of power, making it virtually impossible to discover its presence in the computer.

The Petrie Chip allegedly automatically copied data tracked in the PROMIS system and periodically transmitted the data to a local NSA listening device, defeating any Tempest Shield-type protections.

Our friend cuppy seems to have read about this at some point, because I first heard about the concept from them, of computers designed to leak data even when unpowered.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Feb 10, 2021

Zook
Oct 3, 2014
You can buy the book on PROMIS by Calvin and Pfister, L'Oeil De Washington, on french and german amazon, but not on us amazon, I'm not sure if there's an English translation anywhere though.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i am somehow not shocked that The Controllers, a book(?) that basically says "this technically probably never occurred" in every footnote, would lead me to check out some of the citations and they would, in turn, lead me to places like http://fractalfield.com/ and https://phisciences.com/

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Absolutely fantastic. Human brains are amazing

nut
Jul 30, 2019

gh0stpinballa posted:

i found myself growing very fond of ace reporter nathan baca as it went on, too. a clearly sincere and professional guy who finds himself crack pinging in bush's amerika. episode 7 is the pivot for me, where he is given the run around by different departments. he's still having to abide by the unspoken code of conduct and visual tropes of tv news - the bit where he's reenacting walking in and out of different buildings to illustrate his investigation has this hilariously stiff and surreal quality - but you can tell he is vibrating inside. this button down, amiable local news reporter senses some dark and unfathomable lovecraftian horror may be looming out of the murk. it creates a great meta narrative. big fan of nathan baca.

like every 2-3 parts there's a new twist. It was very surreal watching it through these 3 minute news drops. By like 10 parts in I thought I was watching some sequel to twin peaks.

R.L. Stine posted:

i am somehow not shocked that The Controllers, a book(?) that basically says "this technically probably never occurred" in every footnote, would lead me to check out some of the citations and they would, in turn, lead me to places like http://fractalfield.com/ and https://phisciences.com/

Hahaha yeah the majority of the controllers is insane. I got it on a lark but there was some new info on cia-paid researchers I was really looking for and is well substantiated.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Regarding Signal: do people really not know there's a network designed to intercept pretty much all electronic communications under ECHELON, rendering the choice of app or method of communication completely moot?

"But they can't listen to this one!!" lmao yes they can. "How will they find me??" incredibly easily. The telescreen world of 1984 is already here as far as the mass surveillance aspect and how completely jacked in people are to it. Consider anything other than a smoke signal, one time paper pad, or carrier pigeon to be deeply compromised.

Signal is end to end encrypted, which means having access to the servers or data stream between users is useless. The way to intercept messages between users is to compromise the device it is being used on, there are a number of ways you can do that. Recently the French and Dutch police hacked into the Encro network. Encro was a provider of pre configured phones that were configured with a special version of Android with a hidden mode where you could communicate securely through a special chat application called EncroChat. What the cops did was that they hacked the server that pushed system updates to the subscribers of the service and uploaded their own backdoored version where they could view people's screens and take screenshots remotely to reveal the encrypted messages (which were impossible to intercept otherwise).

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

there are parts missing of the octopus series, does anyone have the whole thing?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Given the ease of access in many countries it seems like a rational mind would conclude that yes, absolutely the CIA would either directly or indirectly facilitate assets getting access to sex workers of any kind, the higher value asset the more likely they'd be to grant extreme requests.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I think with the amount of repetition in previous and subsequent episodes that we’re not missing much, but drat I wish that French book was in English

nut
Jul 30, 2019

let this former bcci guy answer what this redditor was too cowardly too

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1992/03/19/bcci-clients-offered-prostitutes-hill-told/4670bc66-fb9e-4cb4-a0c6-5e43e1258e36/

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Cached Money posted:

Signal is end to end encrypted, which means having access to the servers or data stream between users is useless. The way to intercept messages between users is to compromise the device it is being used on, there are a number of ways you can do that. Recently the French and Dutch police hacked into the Encro network. Encro was a provider of pre configured phones that were configured with a special version of Android with a hidden mode where you could communicate securely through a special chat application called EncroChat. What the cops did was that they hacked the server that pushed system updates to the subscribers of the service and uploaded their own backdoored version where they could view people's screens and take screenshots remotely to reveal the encrypted messages (which were impossible to intercept otherwise).

Thank you for that. I guess it makes sense to anticipate that any heretofore 'secret' method of communication that was not originally designed with a backdoor such as that would eventually be corrupted after the fact by the relevant parties.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/meghanemorris/status/1359641965952864257?s=21

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Anybody have a link to the home video that shows Timothy McVeigh in the background at an army base after he was discharged but before the bombing?

Edit: found the og link i had but the video seems to be deleted
https://twitter.com/bustr4/status/1050053452519395330?s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 05:17 on Feb 11, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

R.L. Stine posted:

What I flicked through of the book after it being mentioned here was pretty whacko but the core point of the original post of "hey, it's kind of weird that nobody ever ponders how Betty and Barney Hill's civil rights activism might be related to them having an 'abduction experience' in the middle of MK Ultra" kinda stands

Like, people mention that them being an interracial couple was uncommon at the time but then that's as far as anything examining their story tends to go in mentioning it. Regardless of the initial source it's a real "hey, yeah, hang on" thing for me

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mr Hootington posted:

Anybody have a link to the home video that shows Timothy McVeigh in the background at an army base after he was discharged but before the bombing?

Edit: found the og link i had but the video seems to be deleted
https://twitter.com/bustr4/status/1050053452519395330?s=19

I have this link, it appears to be only a small clip but I don't know how long that Youtube video was.

https://twitter.com/influensopher/status/1352152849971441664

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

nut posted:

How big of civil rights activists were Barney and Betty Hill before they got abducted and had their lives fall apart? asking for a friend

holy poo poo what have you done to me

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Ok finally got to watch the Octopus Murders investigation and it was absolutely insane. Like both in content and form as a sort of almost novelty (in this day and age) local news special report. It's driving me nuts though.

So the implication coming off of it is that Mcgowan did not kills his family and that seems to be the working theory of many others who said they would not like to get "suicided" like that. I've tried googling but haven't been able to find any other developments since these aired.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the 911 call where the family member is just immediately blown away as soon as the operator picks up is very non congruent with a murder suicide where the killer would have the ability to murder everyone while they slept or with some manner of family trust working to his benefit so that no calls were made OR at the very least would not care if the person called for help because he was going to shoot himself too anyway.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Homora Gaykemi posted:

What I flicked through of the book after it being mentioned here was pretty whacko but the core point of the original post of "hey, it's kind of weird that nobody ever ponders how Betty and Barney Hill's civil rights activism might be related to them having an 'abduction experience' in the middle of MK Ultra" kinda stands

Like, people mention that them being an interracial couple was uncommon at the time but then that's as far as anything examining their story tends to go in mentioning it. Regardless of the initial source it's a real "hey, yeah, hang on" thing for me

Oh yeah, I'm totally down with the basic idea and I think it completely tracks, it would make perfect sense as an avenue of continued human experimentation and ensuing coverup. But the book itself is extremely poorly researched to the point where I was spending more time checking (and usually dismissing as garbage) his sources than actually reading the book which is what, like 90 pages to begin with.

Still, it solidified the idea in my head that not only was this a possible explanation for alien abductions (or rather, the type of alien abductions that seem to be uniquely American or America-adjacent) but one that also fits the timeline, fits with the motivations and internal politics of these agencies involved, and fits the methods (mostly, this is where the book started to have me do some actual fact checking) that these agencies would and could apply, and the methods they would use to cover it up.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
For those of us who are just confused as hell, there were apparently two different David McGowan's. One was a California DA, and the other was the author / deep-state investigator (the one who nailed a perfect description of 9/11 on 9/12). Two different people.

The former died of "suicided along with their family", the latter died of "anonymously threatened online with cancer, then sure enough got unusually aggressive lung cancer". Took me way too long to figure out why my memory was playing tricks on me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Idle historical parallel I was thinking of earlier; if we're talking about American deep state conspiracies bound by blackmail one could probably look at the Klan more? Famously one of their leaders- DC Stephenson- got convicted of a pretty heinous rape and took a bunch of people down with him by releasing blackmail material. I don't know a ton about the period but we've got plenty of people here who might want to look into it

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

nut posted:

also how do we get a new thread title without it coming from Ghislane testimony? a couple reminders:

“What do you mean by ‘know’?”

“What do you mean by ‘school’? Let’s characterize ‘school.’ ”

“Can you explain what you mean by the question actually?”

“I am,” the lawyer says. “I don’t need a lecture on massage.”

I read this in Liz Franzak’s voice

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

the 911 call where the family member is just immediately blown away as soon as the operator picks up is very non congruent with a murder suicide where the killer would have the ability to murder everyone while they slept or with some manner of family trust working to his benefit so that no calls were made OR at the very least would not care if the person called for help because he was going to shoot himself too anyway.

i think that was the dude shooting himself

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

there is a good 31 part series of 5 minute segments on PROMIS and the octopus a local tv station KESQ did, by ace reporter nathan baca. i found it the other day:

https://youtu.be/D1JPZuRVqUM

PROMIS connects basically every figure we've discussed in this thread. bin laden is even supposed to have had a copy of the software that some russian mobsters sold him - they in turn bought it from US intelligence during the years of Shock Therapy.

kramered my way into the last page of this thread having not read the entire thing yet, clicked this, watched it all, and may i just say yo what the gently caress

e: it's a weird pivot halfway through though when it gets to the 80s stuff - it briefly mentions mcgowan might have been on that case but otherwise it doesn't seem connected really? it's still all hosed though and like, these videos are all at like 400 views what the gently caress

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

seeing reporters actually investigating things is a trip

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

kramered my way into the last page of this thread having not read the entire thing yet, clicked this, watched it all, and may i just say yo what the gently caress

e: it's a weird pivot halfway through though when it gets to the 80s stuff - it briefly mentions mcgowan might have been on that case but otherwise it doesn't seem connected really? it's still all hosed though and like, these videos are all at like 400 views what the gently caress

If I'm understanding it correctly, the DA investigator McGowan was looking into PROMIS, which was part of what the triple murder in the 80s was done to cover up.

EDIT:

For everyone who watched that series, here's the follow up to it: https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/murder-charges-dropped-against-jimmy-hughes.html

My bet is that the "new information" was that jimmy was (and still is) far more useful to the ruling class running a ministry service that deals with Honduran children than he was as a convicted murderer.

Regulus74 has issued a correction as of 06:10 on Feb 12, 2021

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

part 3 and part 8 I think are missing from the uploaders videos on YT.

they appear to have been removed from KESQs web site as well.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS has issued a correction as of 06:28 on Feb 12, 2021

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It sounds like I stopped watching long before the good stuff began

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

they haven't made any wide ranging allegations that actually tie into anything epsteiny unless I missed. just a very strange murder and a very strange cover up. I've "only" watched twelve parts

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Once man has searched and inquired in order to understand and climb from one level to another, and has finally reached the end level of all [of Malkuth] he is asked: WHAT? [M"H] What have you learned? What have you seen? What have you investigated, since everything is still concealed, just as it was before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

there's a medieval conspiracy theory relating to John Dee and the rosicrucians and the concealing of secret knowledge and I'm starting to think assassins creed was basically a documentary.

i think that poster who said it is all indistinguishable from schizophrenia is correct. i now unfortunately am a person who got convinced that there is an international cabal of wealthy elites who are or orbit kid fuckers. this is literally what crazy people were yelling ten years ago and we all saw it happen on the day that epstein tragically took his own life by failing to breathe. then you follow the threads long enough and you get to the loving Rothschilds or Seth Rich or some other such bullshit. are you then meant to conclude the whole thing is bullshit? or along the way was one of the threads you followed twisted to send people who look into this Ina particular, insane direction